PDA

View Full Version : AC4 pre-order. Steam or Uplay?

ForbiddenUK
10-05-2013, 04:31 PM
I've pre ordered AC4 black flag skull edition on amazon.co.uk

Im wondering if i will get a Uplay code or a Steam code, because to be honest id rather get a steam code and with steam and amazon being the same price, i would rather sacrifice the Amazon-exclusive Trove of Mystery Bonus for the steam version.

Mr_Shade
10-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Hi there,

If you order the game from retailers other than Steam - you should get a uPlay product activation code.

The game uses Uplay - even on Steam, so by using a Uplay code - you only need Uplay open - other wise it's a case of Steam and Uplay - so you have to consider that too.

The Uplay version - has all of the major benefits of Steam as well.

ForbiddenUK
10-05-2013, 06:30 PM
So what/where would you recommended ordering from as a person in the UK?

After reading on these forums and finding out about the gold edition, i would buy that if it was available outside the USA

Morankurai
10-05-2013, 08:26 PM
That's actually a question that I've wondering about too. I'm probably going to buy the gold edition of Assassin‘s Creed IV Black Flag, but I don't really like Steam and would rather avoid playing a game on Steam and having to run Steam the whole time in the background if it's not necessary.

So, if I understood this right, Mr_Shade: by buying the game over Steam, will we get to run the game over Uplay anyway? Will we therefore get a Uplay activation code and respectively activate it over Uplay? Or is it only going to be activated over Steam? Will we still have to run the game over Steam each time when playing?

Thanks in advance!

TheLeoCrow
10-05-2013, 09:59 PM
If you buy it on steam, you will have to run uplay through steam and then launch the game through uplay. if you just run Uplay, without steam, the game won't be there because the steam version is slightly different than the regular version.

[...]The Uplay version - has all of the major benefits of Steam as well.

I consider this to be an overstatement. While it's true that there's no benefit in getting Ubisoft games through steam, steam has a lot of big benefits that uplay lacks. but that's a whole different topic

Morankurai
10-05-2013, 11:13 PM
okay, thanks for the info. So you cannot find the game in the games section of Uplay itself, it will only shop up via Steam? That's one of the cases I hoped to avoid. Oh well, I'm still going to buy the Gold edition, it seems to be the most complete edition regarding the digital content so far. I just hoped it would be available on other sites than Steam aswell.

TheLeoCrow
10-05-2013, 11:53 PM
i hope it will be on gmg as well

Anigmar
10-06-2013, 12:49 PM
The Uplay version - has all of the major benefits of Steam as well.

Could you please explain this? I mean, what are the differences in content/extras/dlcs between Steam's Digital Deluxe Edition and Uplay's Digital Deluxe?

SixKeys
10-06-2013, 03:27 PM
I would also really appreciate it if a mod could tell us whether some of the extras are only available for those who pre-order. Both the Steam and Uplay descriptions on this are confusing. It says "pre-order now and receive blah blah blah". Does that mean you will not receive those features if you buy the game at launch?

ThaLulz
10-06-2013, 03:30 PM
okay, thanks for the info. So you cannot find the game in the games section of Uplay itself, it will only shop up via Steam? That's one of the cases I hoped to avoid. Oh well, I'm still going to buy the Gold edition, it seems to be the most complete edition regarding the digital content so far. I just hoped it would be available on other sites than Steam aswell.

Just checked, if you buy a game on Steam you will get an activation code to activate it on UPlay. Once activated it can be found in your UPlay games library, however it will still require Steam to run in order to play. Hope that clears any confusion. :)

Morankurai
10-06-2013, 09:20 PM
thanks for looking it up, it does clear most of the confusion :) I still don't like it that you have to run Steam the entire time for playing the game if bought over Steam. Will the game simply not start if launched without Steam and directly over Uplay or by a desktop shortcut?

TheLeoCrow
10-06-2013, 10:19 PM
it won't launch without steam

ThaLulz
10-07-2013, 08:11 AM
thanks for looking it up, it does clear most of the confusion :) I still don't like it that you have to run Steam the entire time for playing the game if bought over Steam. Will the game simply not start if launched without Steam and directly over Uplay or by a desktop shortcut?

When I started directly through UPlay without Steam running it simply opened Steam, and started the game as soon as I had logged in.

Morankurai
10-07-2013, 03:53 PM
thanks for the info. :)