PDA

View Full Version : AC4 Speculation (AC3 Spoilers)

paulthegrouch
10-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Hi fellow gamers! :)

Played through the AC series on console, and looking forward to Black Flag.

Will be the first I've played at release so kind of exciting... :cool:

Have a speculation I'd like to discuss re the new game, for anyone interested.

Why the pirate theme?

I mean, sure, it's kind of a popular topic in media these days. And granted, there's a good mix of visuals and historical fun to be had with it. But, aside from the outside chance that maybe the Flying Spaghetti Monster will be enlisted to fight Juno, how come pirates? :D

My guess is that there's an important story reason that progresses the overall arc of the AC story.

The battle between Templars and Assassins has been around since the start of the series. And we've seen that neither side are wholly black or white but that we are in the main meant to side with the Assassins over the Templars. My guess is that we will in time see a new breakaway group rise in the present day (and perhaps exist in the past too) that are basically privateers - a mix of both Assassins and Templars, who are tuned to a more subtle perspective, a bigger reality - dealing with the challenge of the uncorked Juno requires more than either faction or antithetical paradigm (chaos vs order) alone can bring, and being outside the system will make them harder to stymie. Both of their parent organizations will actively seek to quash them but these pirates see the needs of the moment require a bigger picture and a different approach if victory is to be achieved.

This fusion may also in time lead to a deeper collaboration with those First Civilization forces who wish to help. If Minerva's machines helped her to interface with us in our time, maybe we could do the same in her's. Desmond's being uploaded to the cloud may even serve as a bridge to make this possible, just as Clay's sacrifice before him. Like with the Templars, I suspect the history of the First Civilization will be much more nuanced than we can know, and rich with story potential. It'd be a shame if that dangled possibility by Shaun came to naught! :(

Maybe this has been explored and discussed ad nauseum, so sorry in advance! :p

roostersrule2
10-03-2013, 02:53 PM
In a video about the making of AC4 the writer, Darby McDevitt said that they wanted to do a pirate game and because they already had a back story for Edward Kenway they were going to use him while the Kenway family was still relevant. Because they wanted pirates they would have built the Assassins vs Templars and Juno story around the pirate fiction they're creating.

paulthegrouch
10-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Was unaware of the interview video but might be as simple as that, true enough!

I guess it'll all be a lot clearer in a few more weeks... :D