PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Differencess in ACIV in the PS4 and the PS3

DanielAndrei123
10-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Hello, can you please upload a video showing the graphics in the PS3 version of the
game for the people that want to know if its worth to buy a next gen console just for the game?

pacmanate
10-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Hello, can you please upload a video showing the graphics in the PS3 version of the
game for the people that want to know if its worth to buy a next gen console just for the game?

Prepare for long post.

PS4 version will have:

Better Textures
Lighting
Rain
Foliage
Shadowing
Draw Distance

The PS3 version should look like the PS3 version. Hopefully better as graphics tend to get better with every installment. There is no comparison video yet and wont be until after the 29th November when Digital Foundary do an analysis.

You have an option to get the PS3 version and then upgrade to a PS4 copy for 9.99 or $9.99 depending on currency. Your saves will not carry over though.

Hope this helped!

Mr_Shade
10-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Hi there,

Requests for PS3 /Xbox 360 footage have been passed on - however I can't promise there will be any release of footage.

If you are wondering if you should upgrade - maybe wise to wait and see the reviews and comparisons posted by review sites? - however the PS4 version is going to be better looking, due to the extra hardware and effects added to the game.

If you watch the 'Next Gen trailer' - that will give you some idea of the extra effects - and higher texture level.

I would not like to suggest buying a 400 console for just one game.. however the Next gen consoles, will look better for a wide range of games - such as Watch_Dogs etc ;)

sgtpete54
10-01-2013, 09:05 PM
I also would love to see ps3 video but everyone keeps saying it just like ac3. Still i would love to see if when he fires his gun there is smoke in the videos, but i don't think that was in ac3. Also on the ship there is smoke which looks real good is that in there. A video for each system would be nice. I did ask about video before have not seen any., the one on xbox360 and ps3 look the same as the ps4 video just buttons changed don't really say it was from that system.

Mr_Shade
10-01-2013, 09:22 PM
smoke effects - there will be some - however it won't be volumetric like in the trailers [next gen/PC]

As I have said - it has been requested - however I can't promise.

The good thing about the staggered release - means you can see reviews of the PS3 /Xbox 360 version well before release of the Next Gen - so you should have time to make your minds up - since I'm guessing you guys have not pre-ordered yet?

If you do buy the PS3 version - and later decide to get a PS4 - don't forget the discounted PSN version of AC4 ;)

sgtpete54
10-01-2013, 10:18 PM
I have pre order the ps3 just want to see how it looks running on that system.

Mr_Shade
10-01-2013, 10:21 PM
I have pre order the ps3 just want to see how it looks running on that system.

I can only suggest waiting for previews to appear from the reviewers.

Ubisoft do not normally state what footage is from, so you may have already seen flashes in trailers - however this is always the way.

Free_Hidings
10-02-2013, 02:13 AM
PS3 graphics will be essentially identical to AC3 on PS3, though expect more vibrant colours (just due to game design)

PS4 will have noticably higher resolution, Anti Aliasing (smoothed edges, minimal jagged lines) smooth realistic shadows / smoke, better reflections, longer draw distance and higher frame rates.

PS4 graphics will be comparable to AC3 on highest settings on PC.

The game will be totally playable on old consoles, but if you can afford to upgrade, it's definately worth it. Regardless of what people say about graphics, better graphics = more immersion

deskp
10-02-2013, 02:26 AM
PS4 graphics will be comparable to AC3 on highest settings on PC.

no it won't, ac3 pc didn't have any of the new effects and stuff, the gam was made mainly for the consoles so they didnt add anything cool to the pc version

Assassin_M
10-02-2013, 02:39 AM
no it won't, ac3 pc didn't have any of the new effects and stuff, the gam was made mainly for the consoles so they didnt add anything cool to the pc version
They added a lot more to the PC version of AC III than they added for AC I and AC II on the PC combined..for one, they FINALLY upgraded to directx 11 (that doesn't really do much unfortunately to the performance) since the CPU calculates NPC AI and many of them on the screen at the same time doesn't help, since it increases CPU needs and pretty much cancels the lower CPU usage of the the new directx, but disregarding all of that, at least it improves general quality of graphics.

they also added TXAA and Tessellation...did you ever play PC and console side by side??

Free_Hidings
10-02-2013, 11:55 AM

You do realise PS4 is a console? Thus the limitations imposed on it are the same... Anyway the PC version had some refinements to do with menus and such, but aside from those (which are numerous but not worth mention) the graphical and performance improvements are significant enough. Also things like draw distance, smoke / fog / rain / snow effects are much improved.

Oh and you know the snow? Compare walking in the snow on PC to PS3 and tell me they are no different.

zeo6016
10-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi there,

Requests for PS3 /Xbox 360 footage have been passed on - however I can't promise there will be any release of footage.

If you are wondering if you should upgrade - maybe wise to wait and see the reviews and comparisons posted by review sites? - however the PS4 version is going to be better looking, due to the extra hardware and effects added to the game.

If you watch the 'Next Gen trailer' - that will give you some idea of the extra effects - and higher texture level.

I would not like to suggest buying a 400 console for just one game.. however the Next gen consoles, will look better for a wide range of games - such as Watch_Dogs etc ;)
is there any other difference between the PS3 version and the PS4 version , besides graphics ? like gameplay for example ?

pacmanate
10-02-2013, 12:18 PM
is there any other difference between the PS3 version and the PS4 version , besides graphics ? like gameplay for example ?

All gameplay is the same, the story is the same.

zeo6016
10-02-2013, 12:36 PM
All gameplay is the same, the story is the same.

so only graphics ?

Sushiglutton
10-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Can't wait until Ubi can dump Ps3 and go all in on physics simulations. It's gonna be glorious ;)!

Free_Hidings
10-02-2013, 01:12 PM
so only graphics ?

Graphics and frame rate.

Consider the difference between PS2 and PS3 versions of the same game (Eg WWE games or FIFA)

Better visuals, better performance, better control. But overall, same game.

For me it's worth the upgrade, for others it's probably not

zeo6016
10-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Graphics and frame rate.

Consider the difference between PS2 and PS3 versions of the same game (Eg WWE games or FIFA)

Better visuals, better performance, better control. But overall, same game.

For me it's worth the upgrade, for others it's probably not
sorry , but whats the frame rate ? also the difference between PS2 and PS3 is very very higher than the difference between PS3 and PS4 , u cant deny that

pacmanate
10-02-2013, 02:19 PM
sorry , but whats the frame rate ? also the difference between PS2 and PS3 is very very higher than the difference between PS3 and PS4 , u cant deny that

Its not so much the textures, but the little things that add realism, reflections, translucent leaves (drools).

LatinaC09
10-02-2013, 03:21 PM
I wonder how much better the PS4 version will be....doesn't matter anyways because I won't be getting the next gen console until next year. Still, it will be interesting to see a comparison video.

Mr_Shade
10-02-2013, 03:51 PM
I wonder how much better the PS4 version will be....doesn't matter anyways because I won't be getting the next gen console until next year. Still, it will be interesting to see a comparison video.
I'm sure digital foundry will give you just that ;)

STDlyMcStudpants
10-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Let me ask a question..
Did Super Mario Bros 3-D make Super Mario Bros better? ;)
Graphics don't matter lol.
I don't see why people care -_-

ladyleonhart
10-02-2013, 06:15 PM

I agree with this.

Of course, it's great if the graphics do improve over time, but it wouldn't stop me playing any of the older games I love. ;)

STDlyMcStudpants
10-02-2013, 06:38 PM
I agree with this.

Of course, it's great if the graphics do improve over time, but it wouldn't stop me playing any of the older games I love. ;)

Yeah I've been playing a lot of PS classics on my ps3 and im trying to plat the Sega Genesis Collection right now..
Some games I like..most I don't
a lot of old school games just arent my cup of team, but it definitely isn't because of how they look..
It's because the goal of every game is "survive" lol
1 to 3 lives and you're out :D
I'm glad games in terms of design have evolved since then ;D
That is the only progression that matters :D

Mr_Shade
10-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Well a lot of people want to see just what the new 400 console they brought, can do.. so there's that..

Any many want to make sure the good old consoles are still able to make good looking games..

While I agree gameplay is the first consideration - have pretty gameplay is a nice bonus ;)

ladyleonhart
10-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Well a lot of people want to see just what the new 400 console they brought, can do.. so there's that..

Any many want to make sure the good old consoles are still able to make good looking games..

While I agree gameplay is the first consideration - have pretty gameplay is a nice bonus ;)

I understand that, but I don't think people should worry so much.

IMO ACIII's graphics were really great. :D Then, if ACIV's graphics are as good as those, playing on PS3 won't make it a lesser experience than playing it on PS4. The only difference is that if you play it on PS4, you will get a "pretty bonus" as you said. Also, I think the switch from earlier gens was much more noticeable.

However, it will be great to see how much difference there really is between the two on a replay. ;) ... Lol, well, that's my excuse to play it again anyway. :p

Mr_Shade
10-02-2013, 07:52 PM
People will always worry - even when there is no need.. it's human nature..

It's also internet forums ;)

mhg87
10-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Let me ask a question..
Did Super Mario Bros 3-D make Super Mario Bros better? ;)

Considering that Super Mario 64 was an awesome game and set a new standard for the series, that is a bad example.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Considering that Super Mario 64 was an awesome game and set a new standard for the series, that is a bad example.

Those aren't the same games...
I'm talking about the one that came with duckhunt and the 3Ds version

pacmanate
10-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Ps4 is better

Dutchman141
10-02-2013, 10:43 PM
I don't worry about AC4's looks for my 360 anymore but still I think it's a bit anoying that there aren't any current gen videos etc.
There are still tens of thousands current gen owners that will buy AC4 or like me have pre-ordered it just because they can't afford a new console (yet), all those people only get to hear and see how wonderfull and exceptional AC4 is on next gen consoles, I personaly see that a bit as a kick in the face towards current gen owners.

I know that when you have a new product you wanna show off the best version but it wouldn't hurt to provide some product information for current gen owners, it might even convince them to change their minds and get the next gen after all, that works only if the differences are considerable enough though.

As I said before I'm not worried anymore and am looking realy forward to november 1st but I do have my thoughts about the lack of attention towards current gen customers.
There will be comparison vids after release but that doesn't provide much information now for those who have pre-ordered the game on current gen.

Just my two cents

pacmanate
10-02-2013, 10:44 PM
I don't worry about AC4's looks for my 360 anymore but still I think it's a bit anoying that there aren't any current gen videos etc.
There are still tens of thousands current gen owners that will buy AC4 or like me have pre-ordered it just because they can't afford a new console (yet), all those people only get to hear and see how wonderfull and exceptional AC4 is on next gen consoles, I personaly see that a bit as a kick in the face towards current gen owners.

I know that when you have a new product you wanna show off the best version but it wouldn't hurt to provide some product information for current gen owners, it might even convince them to change their minds and get the next gen after all, that works only if the differences are considerable enough though.

As I said before I'm not worried anymore and am looking realy forward to november 1st but I do have my thoughts about the lack of attention towards current gen customers.
There will be comparison vids after release but that doesn't provide much information now for those who have pre-ordered the game on current gen.

Just my two cents

The difference is considerable though, in my eyes anyway.

Dutchman141
10-02-2013, 10:56 PM
The difference is considerable though, in my eyes anyway.

Have you seen some actual current gen material that shows the difference ?

I haven't and that's why I haven't desided wether I should get a new console or not, my kids and I still have dozens of games on the 360 and we still play them a lot.
The pricetag for a new console is pretty high, especially when you look at the number of games available at start. I want to provide my family the best I can and that means that we have to make priorities.

pacmanate
10-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Have you seen some actual current gen material that shows the difference ?

I haven't and that's why I haven't desided wether I should get a new console or not, my kids and I still have dozens of games on the 360 and we still play them a lot.
The pricetag for a new console is pretty high, especially when you look at the number of games available at start. I want to provide my family the best I can and that means that we have to make priorities.

Not showing directly but you have to put it in perspective. New hardware has new capabilities for loads of things. Obviously textures will be better because the hardware is better, and this goes for shadowing (less jaggies), frame rate, and draw distance. Everything else for the PS4 I guess you can class as an "Add-On", stuff that is exclusive to next gen consoles. This would be volumetric smoke for example, or the way the foliage wraps around Edward and has transparency layering, real time reflections from water, water affecting leaves.

The difference between next and current gen isnt as much as PS2 to PS3 in terms of textures/graphics, but its all these added little things that add to the immersion.

You said your kids have dozens of 360 games, I am guessing they are still rather young? In which case, hold off on a PS4 or Xbox One. They probably wouldn't appreciate these little added things and I think it would be a waste of money.

The 360 won't look like crap you can be assured of that. AC3 looked great on consoles and Black Flag theoretically should look better due to every new installment looking better than the last. You should expect it to look the same as AC3.

Remember gameplay is still the same, its just the look and immersion that are different.

Dutchman141
10-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Not showing directly but you have to put it in perspective. New hardware has new capabilities for loads of things. Obviously textures will be better because the hardware is better, and this goes for shadowing (less jaggies), frame rate, and draw distance. Everything else for the PS4 I guess you can class as an "Add-On", stuff that is exclusive to next gen consoles. This would be volumetric smoke for example, or the way the foliage wraps around Edward and has transparency layering, real time reflections from water, water affecting leaves.

The difference between next and current gen isnt as much as PS2 to PS3 in terms of textures/graphics, but its all these added little things that add to the immersion.

You said your kids have dozens of 360 games, I am guessing they are still rather young? In which case, hold off on a PS4 or Xbox One. They probably wouldn't appreciate these little added things and I think it would be a waste of money.

The 360 won't look like crap you can be assured of that. AC3 looked great on consoles and Black Flag theoretically should look better due to every new installment looking better than the last. You should expect it to look the same as AC3.

Remember gameplay is still the same, its just the look and immersion that are different.

I agree with you on all fronts and yes my youngest son just turned ten so he doesn't even know or care about the graphical differences.
You know it's not about the fact that AC4 looks better on next gen, it does and it should to and I hope it will exceed all expectations of those who get it on next gen.
It's just that many current gen owners would like to see what they pre-ordered for their console, specially after all the boasting about the next gen version of the game.
Even a lot of game-reviewers on the net wonder about the actual differences because there isn't any comparison material at all.

I know that the gameplay will be the same, even the seameless transition between sea and land, and that's a comfort, having some visual material to go along with it would be nice though.

pacmanate
10-02-2013, 11:34 PM
I agree with you on all fronts and yes my youngest son just turned ten so he doesn't even know or care about the graphical differences.
You know it's not about the fact that AC4 looks better on next gen, it does and it should to and I hope it will exceed all expectations of those who get it on next gen.
It's just that many current gen owners would like to see what they pre-ordered for their console, specially after all the boasting about the next gen version of the game.
Even a lot of game-reviewers on the net wonder about the actual differences because there isn't any comparison material at all.

I know that the gameplay will be the same, even the seameless transition between sea and land, and that's a comfort, having some visual material to go along with it would be nice though.

I understand that you want to see the current gen, but from a business standpoint, showing off everything cool you can do with new hardware makes more sense then showing current gen or both.

If they showed both, then there would be saying random crap like "wow Ubisoft, this looks crap in comparison", when in reality, current gen looks good, you are just comparing it to something better.

Another example is PS3 games being compared to PC games, everyone complains the console versions never look as good as PC versions and I see many comments saying how devs get lazy with current gen, which is not the case (all the time), its just its not that powerful of a machine.

Dutchman141
10-02-2013, 11:51 PM
I understand that you want to see the current gen, but from a business standpoint, showing off everything cool you can do with new hardware makes more sense then showing current gen or both.

If they showed both, then there would be saying random crap like "wow Ubisoft, this looks crap in comparison", when in reality, current gen looks good, you are just comparing it to something better.

Another example is PS3 games being compared to PC games, everyone complains the console versions never look as good as PC versions and I see many comments saying how devs get lazy with current gen, which is not the case (all the time), its just its not that powerful of a machine.

I hear you, there will always be people who want more then is possible or they start complaining.
Its not that I want the 360 version to look as good as the next gen version, well I would want to but that's being unrealistic.
As I said before, I'm not worried, AC4 will be a fantastic game on current gen and even more fantastic on next gen as it should be because that's what you pay for.

I think AC4 in the caribbean will look better then AC3 on current gen, personaly I found AC3 a bit bland compared to the Ezio AC games especially in Revelation, Constantinople was very colorful.

pacmanate
10-02-2013, 11:54 PM
I hear you, there will always be people who want more then is possible or they start complaining.
Its not that I want the 360 version to look as good as the next gen version, well I would want to but that's being unrealistic.
As I said before, I'm not worried, AC4 will be a fantastic game on current gen and even more fantastic on next gen as it should be because that's what you pay for.

I think AC4 in the caribbean will look better then AC3 on current gen, personaly I found AC3 a bit bland compared to the Ezio AC games especially in Revelation, Constantinople was very colorful.

I think the more vibrant colour palette in AC4 will give the illusion of it looking better too

Shahkulu101
10-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Visuals smisuals - 'sall about the gameplay. I honestly don't notice the differences that much at all.

I suppose I will be missing out on the water. And possibly dolphins, in which case I will trade the game in. :p

Dutchman141
10-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Visuals smisuals - 'sall about the gameplay. I honestly don't notice the differences that much at all.

I suppose I will be missing out on the water. And possibly dolphins, in which case I will trade the game in. :p

At least the plants won't be blown in your face when sneaking on current gen.

Free_Hidings
10-03-2013, 12:43 AM

No I agree, I think PS3 was a huge jump but every generation after the difference will be smaller.

Frame rate being the number of frames produced / rendered per second, consoles seem to average between 20-30 fps while you can get up to 60fps on a good PC, which is really smooth and fluid and looks / feels so much nicer to player. You can't appreciate the difference untill you experience it, but it is really nice

Assassin_M
10-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Just so it's clear for everyone why the jump in graphics SEEMS less apparent..

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/polygon-count-diminishing-returns-consoles.jpeg

pacmanate
10-03-2013, 01:57 AM

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/polygon-count-diminishing-returns-consoles.jpeg

Goddddd we know

Assassin_M
10-03-2013, 01:59 AM
Goddddd we know
Who's we?? Apparently, not some people here...

pacmanate
10-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Who's we?? Apparently, not some people here...

me n u <3

Assassin_M
10-03-2013, 02:18 AM
me n u <3
awwwww <3

RatonhnhakeFan
10-03-2013, 02:19 AM

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/polygon-count-diminishing-returns-consoles.jpegHmm, I don't think polygons were even the main thing that made the huge difference between PS2/PS3 generations. Dynamic lighting and bump/normal-mapping we at least as important if not more. Tomb Raider Legend shows it well:

Xbox/PS2 vs Xbox 350/PS3:
http://www.tomshw.it/guides/gaming/game/20060517/images/parallaxbig.jpg
http://www.tomshw.it/guides/gaming/game/20060517/images/modelbig.jpg
http://www.tomshw.it/guides/gaming/game/20060517/images/licht2big.jpg

Literally the same polygon mesh, just with dynamic lighting and bump-mapping.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-03-2013, 03:09 AM
Hmm, I don't think polygons were even the main thing that made the huge difference between PS2/PS3 generations. Dynamic lighting and bump/normal-mapping we at least as important if not more. Tomb Raider Legend shows it well:

Xbox/PS2 vs Xbox 350/PS3:
http://www.tomshw.it/guides/gaming/game/20060517/images/parallaxbig.jpg
http://www.tomshw.it/guides/gaming/game/20060517/images/modelbig.jpg
http://www.tomshw.it/guides/gaming/game/20060517/images/licht2big.jpg

Literally the same polygon mesh, just with dynamic lighting and bump-mapping.

OOOOOOOOOOOO

And ICO HD when you're at the end on the last level running on the edge of the cliff as it's raining..
It makes me wanna cry!!!
It's from 2001 :DDD