PDA

View Full Version : New Eurogamer AC4 Preview! 30/09/2013

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 05:00 PM
I told you guys we would get new footage on the 30th of September. MWEHEHEHE. I win!!!!

Anyway, now that I have had my moment, here is the video!

Lies. Anyway some cool info. After every story mission you rate it out of 5 and then this gets sent to Ubisoft, to see if people liked these kind of mission designs or not. AMAZING!!!

Also Ian says the game fully opens by sequence 6... not sure what this means or how I feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kbE7E831H0

adventurewomen
09-30-2013, 05:03 PM
You're on a roll today! :D

Mr_Shade
09-30-2013, 05:10 PM
There will be a few as well - since a few people will be releasing them ;)

dex3108
09-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Game looks absolutely beautiful.

Mr_Shade
09-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Game looks absolutely beautiful.
yeap :)

Sushiglutton
09-30-2013, 05:28 PM
I have stopped watching new vids now. Open world games are a lot about discovering, so I don't wanna know any more stuff :). Glad to hear it's looking good though!

RatonhnhakeFan
09-30-2013, 05:29 PM
The only problems I have is with the faces. Somehow they seem to look a bit worse than old-gen AC3 faces. Other than that looks stunning. And the crafting menu is so much better (don't get me wrong, I still think it's a but cluttered but I'm OCD about highly organized yet crafting/inventory menus in games :p ), at least now it will be easy and fast to upgrade something AND we can (apparently) do it at any time? No need to go to main "base" or shop right?

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 05:34 PM
The only problems I have is with the faces. Somehow they seem to look a bit worse than old-gen AC3 faces. Other than that looks stunning. And the crafting menu is so much better (don't get me wrong, I still think it's a but cluttered but I'm OCD about highly organized yet crafting/inventory menus in games :p ), at least now it will be easy and fast to upgrade something AND we can (apparently) do it at any time? No need to go to main "base" or shop right?

Seems like its just like FC3. Craft anywhere as long as you have the resources.

Mr_Shade
09-30-2013, 05:38 PM
I have stopped watching new vids now. Open world games are a lot about discovering, so I don't wanna know any more stuff :). Glad to hear it's looking good though!
Don't look. ;)

its gonna be a great game - one to enjoy ;)

poptartz20
09-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Hey guys! I can finally tell you something.... :) what he's talking about I was actually there while he was there :D Played sequence 3!

I also have played multiplayer.

So any questions feel free to ask :)

lothario-da-be
09-30-2013, 06:28 PM
This game looks simply breahttaking! Trying to not get hyped, but failing!

jayjay275
09-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Looks amazing, but where was the music/soundtrack? :o

STDlyMcStudpants
09-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Also Ian says the game fully opens by sequence 6... not sure what this means or how I feel.

Assassin's Creed II doesn't fully open up until sequence 8 out of 11 so Id say 6 out of 13 is pretty good...

STDlyMcStudpants
09-30-2013, 07:49 PM
I don't like how at 5:58 he is giving the credit for the Naval Forts to Far Cry 3 when Assassins Creed has had this system in it since AC Brotherhood...
Well didn't really give them credit but compared..why couldn't he say "Much like in previous Assassin's Creed games"
I know the Far Cry 3 team helped with AC IV...but I'm a bit tired of hearing about it lol.

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't like how at 5:58 he is giving the credit for the Naval Forts to Far Cry 3 when Assassins Creed has had this system in it since AC Brotherhood...
Well didn't really give them credit but compared..why couldn't he say "Much like in previous Assassin's Creed games"
I know the Far Cry 3 team helped with AC IV...but I'm a bit tired of hearing about it lol.

Ian loves Far Cry 3 thats why haha

SixKeys
09-30-2013, 09:29 PM
8:47 - It's the classic hidden blade SHING noise! :eek: :cool:

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 09:30 PM
OMG!!!

I thought it sounded familiar

SixKeys
09-30-2013, 09:36 PM
If they keep it in the final release, I can die happy.

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 09:37 PM
If they keep it in the final release, I can die happy.

Do you think it happens just when you assassinate a target though? Thats the impression im getting.

SixKeys
09-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Do you think it happens just when you assassinate a target though? Thats the impression im getting.

You mean a main target? Because it's always happened when you assassinate a target.

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 09:42 PM
You mean a main target? Because it's always happened when you assassinate a target.

Yeah, because he used his swords for that kill

Shahkulu101
09-30-2013, 09:43 PM
So the guy says their attempt to please everyone may upset hardcore AC fans. :/

At least there's an element of freedom in how we carry things out, although the game tries to get us to lean towards being a reckless pirate.

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 09:46 PM
So the guy says their attempt to please everyone may upset hardcore AC fans. :/

At least there's an element of freedom in how we carry things out, although the game tries to get us to lean towards being a reckless pirate.

Darby then tweeted that there is a lot of stealth and not to listen to Ian about that :p

Ian isn't a hardcore AC player, he just stated his opinion. Like he said, he went in guns blazing but thats his playing style. If you wanted to do stealth I am sure you could find a way.

xboxauditore
09-30-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm sure the game allows you to be both loud and stealthy, but the choice is up to you. I'll be going for traditional Assassin stealth if this is the case.

SixKeys
09-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Yeah, because he used his swords for that kill

He actually uses the hidden blade if you look closely. He was holding his sword in the other hand for some reason, but the kill was done with the hidden blade. You can even hear it retract afterwards.

Some player used double hidden blades to kill some guards in the plantation clip, I don't recall if the sound was there then. Maybe it's only present in story missions, to highlight the moment.

AssassinHMS
09-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Stealth elements and assassiations take a backseat which might hurt the overall experience for the hardcore fans..............

What about investigation missions? Non-existant or not as much of a focus as assassinations? Either way it's strange since one can't properly assassinate without investigating first...

Anyway great video

Shahkulu101
09-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Darby then tweeted that there is a lot of stealth and not to listen to Ian about that :p

Ian isn't a hardcore AC player, he just stated his opinion. Like he said, he went in guns blazing but thats his playing style. If you wanted to do stealth I am sure you could find a way.

I think I'll swap between guns blazing and stealth. I didn't like that in Far Cry 3 we were punished for going guns blazing when storming an outpost and getting less XP as a result - I suspect there is no such system in AC4?

SixKeys
09-30-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure what to think of the mission rating system. On the one hand it's a cool idea that devs can get direct feedback from fans about which missions they like and dislike. On the other, it seems very game-y and immersion-breaking to have a "Rate us!" pop up after each mission. The preview guy says it's not as intrusive as in iPhone games, but I can't see how it would not be immersion-breaking.

Shahkulu101
09-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Stealth elements and assassiations take a backseat which might hurt the overall experience for the hardcore fans..............

What about investigation missions? Non-existant or not as much of a focus as assassinations? Either way it's strange since one can't properly assassinate without investigating first...
Well, since it's a pirate game I think they were very nice to think about the franchise even if it was a secondary thought.

Anyway great video

There are elements of both, assassin elements are as prevalent as ever - we are just given more of an opportunity to exercise our style play rather than being forced into stealth or guns blazing.

ACfan443
09-30-2013, 10:01 PM

Was that not already present in the open work demo?

AssassinHMS
09-30-2013, 10:04 PM
There are elements of both, assassin elements are as prevalent as ever - we are just given more of an opportunity to exercise our style play rather than being forced into stealth or guns blazing.

Are you sure that's what the narrator meant? How would that hurt the experience for those who want to use stealth? I personaly think he was referring to problems related to the use of stealth or even impossibility. He also says that assassinations take a back seat...

SixKeys
09-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Are you sure that's what the narrator meant? How would that hurt the experience for those who want to use stealth? I personaly think he was referring to problems related to the use of stealth or even impossibility. He also says that assassinations take a back seat...

Things to keep in mind:

1) He played a demo which probably included few, if any, actual assassinations
2) He admitted that he was in a rush and didn't really bother with stealth

Shahkulu101
09-30-2013, 10:09 PM

He wouldn't quite know if assassinations took a back seat as he's only played sequences 3 and 6, both of which he stated had assassination's at the end of it. I think because he went in guns blazing and that the ship missions and naval forts are fast paced he believed stealth to be the least exciting option for him.

For us, it would of course be the stealth. It's just his opinion anyway - Darby, a developer, said that this was untrue.

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure what to think of the mission rating system. On the one hand it's a cool idea that devs can get direct feedback from fans about which missions they like and dislike. On the other, it seems very game-y and immersion-breaking to have a "Rate us!" pop up after each mission. The preview guy says it's not as intrusive as in iPhone games, but I can't see how it would not be immersion-breaking.

But maybe Abstergo Entertainment put it there for feedback before rolling out the game :P

Mr_Shade
09-30-2013, 10:24 PM
I will just leave this here - it's a response about the comments about stealth in the video ;)

Darby McDevitt (@DarbyMcDevitt)
30/09/2013 17:13
Great preview from @IanHigton youtube.com/watch?v=8kbE7E… . And don't worry about what he says about stealth. We have plenty of it.

AssassinHMS
09-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Things to keep in mind:

1) He played a demo which probably included few, if any, actual assassinations
2) He admitted that he was in a rush and didn't really bother with stealth

He wouldn't quite know if assassinations took a back seat as he's only played sequences 3 and 6, both of which he stated had assassination's at the end of it. I think because he went in guns blazing and that the ship missions and naval forts are fast paced he believed stealth to be the least exciting option for him.

For us, it would of course be the stealth. It's just his opinion anyway - Darby, a developer, said that this was untrue.

Ah ok. I guess I wasn't seeing the whole picture...

Still, are there investigations like AC1 or anything?

Assassin_M
09-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Doesn't seem like it, unfortunately...they could'v at least relegated those investigations to the Assassination side missions to give them more meat...the pigeons would just carry a name and locations to investigate in...

Shahkulu101
09-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Ah ok. I guess I wasn't seeing the whole picture...

Nope, doesn't look like it. There may be eavesdropping like in AC3 or tailing like we've always had but they wont be individual tasks like in AC1.

I'm not sure they will return ever, unfortunately. I think they could be great if done right - which I thought they weren't in AC1.

AssassinHMS
09-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I will just leave this here - it's a response about the comments about stealth in the video ;)

Great preview from @IanHigton youtube.com/watch?v=8kbE7E… .

Thanks

And don't worry about what he says about stealth. We have plenty of it.

Ahah ok. Can't be too careful after AC3.

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 10:39 PM

Great preview from @IanHigton youtube.com/watch?v=8kbE7E… . And don't worry about what he says about stealth. We have plenty of it.

but I just

Thanks

Okay :nonchalance:

SixKeys
09-30-2013, 10:40 PM
If the eavesdropping from AC3 never returns, I won't mind. The idea was okay, but as with so many things, the execution was bad. The investigations from AC1 have been pretty much replaced by cut scenes (where a character overhears information that in AC1 would have been a mission unto itself) and tailing missions and pick-pocketing have been merged into main missions.

AssassinHMS
09-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Nope, doesn't look like it. There may be eavesdropping like in AC3 or tailing like we've always had but they wont be individual tasks like in AC1.

I'm not sure they will return ever, unfortunately. I think they could be great if done right - which I thought they weren't in AC1.

Doesn't seem like it, unfortunately...they could'v at least relegated those investigations to the Assassination side missions to give them more meat...the pigeons would just carry a name and locations to investigate in...

Oh well...
I think investigations in freeroam would be great. Just listening to a group of people talking or spying on some unusual pedestrian (expensive clothes, dark look, maybe a templar cross) to find out the whereabouts of a treasure hidden in some guy's basement or unlock an assassination mission...
Either way I really think investigations are as important as assassinations and can be just as enjoyable if done properly.

SixKeys
09-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Oh well...
I think investigations in freeroam would be great. Just listening to a group of people talking or spying on some unusual pedestrian (expensive clothes, dark look, maybe a templar cross) to find out the whereabouts of a treasure hidden in some guy's basement or unlock an assassination mission...

I would love this too. Would be great if we could unlock side missions simply by following a random, suspicious-looking NPC or listening to a conversation at a bar. Unfortunately, I don't think most people would realize such a feature was there if they're just plowing through the main story, so it could be a lot of work for little payoff. This is what apparently killed the glyphs after ACB, not enough players bothered with them.

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 11:09 PM
I would love this too. Would be great if we could unlock side missions simply by following a random, suspicious-looking NPC or listening to a conversation at a bar.

Almost like Watch_Dogs random events! I like this idea.

Assassin_M
09-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Almost like Watch_Dogs random events! I like this idea.
We'll probably get it down the road, since AC IV has elements from Far Cry...it wont be far fetched to see some systems from WD make it into AC one day

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 11:20 PM
We'll probably get it down the road, since AC IV has elements from Far Cry...it wont be far fetched to see some systems from WD make it into AC one day

If it was for random events it might start feeling more vigilante though which is my only concern.

AssassinHMS
09-30-2013, 11:24 PM
I would love this too. Would be great if we could unlock side missions simply by following a random, suspicious-looking NPC or listening to a conversation at a bar. Unfortunately, I don't think most people would realize such a feature was there if they're just plowing through the main story, so it could be a lot of work for little payoff.
This is what apparently killed the glyphs after ACB, not enough players bothered with them.

I used to roam through Venice, Florence, Acre and whatnot just appreciating the view and the music but, most of the time, I was wishing for something to happen, a fight, a killer stalking the assassin (like in multiplayer), maybe a party I could join but instead all there was to do was to pick fights with guards for no reason or search the map for side missions and it never felt organic, I always felt like I was constantly looking for something to do rather than enjoying the activities. I think this kind of random events could solve this problem while bringing back a big part of what assassin's creed is about (investigations).
I think most people would appreciate this feature, even those who care mostly for the story.

roostersrule2
10-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Awesome.

LoyalACFan
10-01-2013, 02:21 AM
If the eavesdropping from AC3 never returns, I won't mind. The idea was okay, but as with so many things, the execution was bad. The investigations from AC1 have been pretty much replaced by cut scenes (where a character overhears information that in AC1 would have been a mission unto itself) and tailing missions and pick-pocketing have been merged into main missions.

Was it really that different though? I mean, it's not like AC1 had superbly compelling eavesdropping gameplay, you just sat on a bench and highlighted your target. AC3 just changed it up by allowing you to be mobile while doing it.

In any case, I don't think structured eavesdropping missions can work well unless it's just like AC1 where you're told "here's a list of guys, find a way to kill them." Especially for a character like Edward, who apparently does whatever the hell he wants.

Legendz54
10-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Wow... Might I say that the rain and night time from 7:43 and on looks stunning, Graphics are still looking great and the story looks promising. Islands look very vast and hopefully it will be beter than the frontier. At 3:13 it looks like a little re creation of the AC1 trailer Lol, Combat is looking a lot more smooth and less glitchy than previous videos. Poor Adewale getting discriminated :( anyway I honestly thought that this was just AC3 with boats and that there wasn't much to expand on but they have really pushed it this year. The characters in this game look more interesting than any other previous AC game.

Megas_Doux
10-01-2013, 03:58 AM
Trying not to get hyped...

FAILED!

Farlander1991
10-01-2013, 07:28 AM
I'm not sure why people say they want investigation missions back so much, considering that essentially every other AC game has them in the form of missions preceding the assassination (AC3 to a lesser extent, I suppose). It's not like it's an actual system/mechanic in the game (but it would've been cool for it to be).

The only reason they felt like actual investigation missions is if you play them with HUD completely off, and that's due to HOW you find the missions (because AC was designed for HUD-less gameplay), NOT the missions themselves. But AC2 onwards were really not designed for full HUD-less gameplay, so... it's not like that matters. You pretty much keep doing what you did in AC1 investigation missions in further games as well.

AssassinHMS
10-01-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure why people say they want investigation missions back so much, considering that essentially every other AC game has them in the form of missions preceding the assassination (AC3 to a lesser extent, I suppose). It's not like it's an actual system/mechanic in the game (but it would've been cool for it to be).

An assassin spends more time investigating than assassinating in order to find the target's location, make sure that he doesn't fall for traps or other dangers, get the information that will allow to draw a plan and make the whole infiltration/assassination/getaway thing as quick and as easy as possible, etc.
Besides, it's fun to plan the assassination ourselves and figure out the little details (a broken window so that I can slip inside quietly, a group of chandeliers that will allow me to reach the target undetected,...)
However, if the information is given to the player instead of being learned through investigation, it becomes sort of pointless and meaningless.
Finally, investigations are fundamental to AC because they are fundamental to the assassin and they shouldn't be cast aside or be part of some cutscene as they have the potencial to be more entertaining than naval battles.
They were actual investigations because they were a prerequisite to every assassination and not some cutscene or a one time activity. If you didn't investigate, you wouldn't have the necessary information to assassinate. The more you investigated the easier it was to complete an assassination as the information learned was quite helpful. Now this was back in the days of AC1 but, from then on, investigations were done by the game and not by the player and they didn't reveal any shortcuts, escape routes or anything useful about the mission. So no, only AC1 has real and meaningful investigation missions.

The only reason they felt like actual investigation missions is if you play them with HUD completely off, and that's due to HOW you find the missions (because AC was designed for HUD-less gameplay), NOT the missions themselves. But AC2 onwards were really not designed for full HUD-less gameplay, so... it's not like that matters. You pretty much keep doing what you did in AC1 investigation missions in further games as well.

If you synchronized with a viewpoint you would know the location of those missions but, if you wanted to, you could search the streets for them without synchronizing first(no need to take the HUD off). And it made sense since the assassin could spot them from the respective viewpoints (at least with eagle vision)

SixKeys
10-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Was it really that different though? I mean, it's not like AC1 had superbly compelling eavesdropping gameplay, you just sat on a bench and highlighted your target. AC3 just changed it up by allowing you to be mobile while doing it.

In any case, I don't think structured eavesdropping missions can work well unless it's just like AC1 where you're told "here's a list of guys, find a way to kill them." Especially for a character like Edward, who apparently does whatever the hell he wants.

I hated the AC3-style system because of the desynch mechanic if you went outside the lines. It made it pretty much impossible to focus on what was actually being said (I don't use subtitles). It was nothing but distracting to constantly have the screen flicker and make scratching noises while you were trying to follow the conversation. Instead of desynching, they should have just made it so that if Connor falls outside the lines, the voices become muted and he actually misses bits of the conversation. (Marked by "..." in subtitles, like this: "...and then Henry said ... that they would ... and meet at ...".) One of the optional objectives could have been "Listen to the entire conversation without missing anything". I think it would have been both less distracting and more realistic.

Farlander1991
10-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Granted, the letters and maps that you received as a reward for those missions was a nice touch, but they still were investigations only thematically, and not really good investigations at that. The only ones that really feel like you're doing any actual investigetions are the interrogate/steal/eavesdrop ones, which are like only a small portion of them all.

I'm sorry, but,
"Kill these two dudes and I'll tell you something" is not investigation
"Kill these archers and I'll tell you something" is not investigation
"Protect me and I'll tell you something" is not investigation
"Destroy these merchant stands and I'll tell you something" is not investigation. It's essentially what you say, "Info given in a cutscene". AC2, for example, is full of stuff like that, only you complete it in a linear fashion instead of choosing what to do first, and it's weaven into narrative better.

The "investigation" aspect of AC1 is overrated, I think. Don't get me wrong, I love AC1, it's my favourite, but it just seems to me that sometimes people tend to think of some of its aspects more than it really is. You don't follow a patrol to see if there's some kind of hidden entrance. You don't sneak in captain's quarters to see what his orders are for guard placement. You don't find out who said captain is so you could assassinate him so the guards would be at a bigger disarray. You don't break a window while the place is half-empty and nobody's there so you could gain entrance later easier. You complete a chore for a dude and he feeds you with information (half of which is actually not useful for the assassination itself, just a little bit of nice insight into the target). That's what it is. And that's not investigation. That's, to quote you, "the information is given to the player "

AssassinHMS
10-01-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm sorry, but,
"Kill these two dudes and I'll tell you something" is not investigation
"Kill these archers and I'll tell you something" is not investigation
"Protect me and I'll tell you something" is not investigation
"Destroy these merchant stands and I'll tell you something" is not investigation. It's essentially what you say, "Info given in a cutscene". AC2, for example, is full of stuff like that, only you complete it in a linear fashion instead of choosing what to do first, and it's weaven into narrative better.

I agree that, in those particular AC1 cases, you weren't trully investigating but it was a legitimate and realistic way to do it. If you needed someone elese's information, you performed a task for them and they'd reward you with it. I don't get what's the problem here. You're right about AC2 but that is a given since AC1 was the only game in the franchise that has the assassin's creed core intact.

The "investigation" aspect of AC1 is overrated, I think. Don't get me wrong, I love AC1, it's my favourite, but it just seems to me that sometimes people tend to think of some of its aspects more than it really is. You don't follow a patrol to see if there's some kind of hidden entrance. You don't sneak in captain's quarters to see what his orders are for guard placement. You don't break a window while the place is half-empty and nobody's there so you could gain entrance later easier. You complete a chore for a dude and he feeds you with information. That's what it is. And that's not investigation. That's, to quote you, "the information is given to the player "

In a way I agree and I like your ideas. That is what Ubisoft should've done (improve investigation missions and make them more interesting) instead of giving up on them. I'm still waiting for an ac game that relies on itself, that improves on stealth, investigations, the hidden blade, assassinations and that brings back that moody and (sort of) dark assassin that questions life and his actions and that keeps the hood always up.

Spider_Sith9
10-01-2013, 09:13 PM
I highly doubt the investigation missions will not be in AC4 especially since the devs will not comment on it. I like what they did with Eavesdropping in AC3 but I think they are gone for good and they are sticking with pure open-world like they did with AC2 on down for now on. Also, Anne Bonny. <3

LoyalACFan
10-01-2013, 10:51 PM
I hated the AC3-style system because of the desynch mechanic if you went outside the lines. It made it pretty much impossible to focus on what was actually being said (I don't use subtitles). It was nothing but distracting to constantly have the screen flicker and make scratching noises while you were trying to follow the conversation. Instead of desynching, they should have just made it so that if Connor falls outside the lines, the voices become muted and he actually misses bits of the conversation. (Marked by "..." in subtitles, like this: "...and then Henry said ... that they would ... and meet at ...".) One of the optional objectives could have been "Listen to the entire conversation without missing anything". I think it would have been both less distracting and more realistic.

Fair enough. I do use subtitles since one of the speakers on my TV is blown out (can't hear anything to the protagonist's rear left) so I didn't really have any issue following the conversations.

plentybeef
10-02-2013, 06:48 AM
I personaly liked Ac 1 investigation. Even if I had to do extra kills for another assassin brother. It made me feel interacted. Just like AcB. I felt like ezio. But it dosnt matter if the investigations were take out all together. Ac4 is massive

Sushiglutton
10-02-2013, 08:48 AM

Completely agree. I think this has to do with Ubi's propensity to turn everything into a little game. They add artificial rules to fairly simple tasks to add challenge and turn them into little mini-games (Paul Revere etc). I think that is completely unnecessary and infact does a lot more harm than good. Not everything needs to have a challenge component. Like you I just found it annoying and difficult to focus. It doesn't feel like you are eavesdropping. It feels like you are playing a simple game of keeping a dot inside a circle. It's failed design because the gameplay doesn't communicate the feel of eavesdropping at all.

Same goes for many of the stalking missions. I think that there is no need for the person you are stalking to turn around every now and then. It's silly, immersion breaking, annoying and doesn't add interesting challenge. The things I like better in these scenarios is either when they turn around to walk back, or when they walk inside a guarded area so you need to improvise and find a route around.

Farlander1991
10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
I agree that, in those particular AC1 cases, you weren't trully investigating but it was a legitimate and realistic way to do it. If you needed someone elese's information, you performed a task for them and they'd reward you with it. I don't get what's the problem here.

I don't know, you tell me what's the problem :D I just pointed out how there's no actual investigation mechanics in AC1 and it's just a bunch of missions with different goals and that other games have that too but in a slightly more linear fashion and more weaved into the story (with a varying degree of success and quality, granted), and you started arguing with me :D

Like, for example, in AC2 you have a sequence where you kill 4 targets to learn where Jacopo de Pazzi will be (in AC1, for example, that would be like doing 4 random missions from the informants to get info from them), and then you track him to the destination and get to the Assassination part. Or in Venice, when you go with Antonio to explore the Palazza and see if there's a way to get in, don't find any, so you prepare a way to fly in. Those are all essentially preparations for the main Assassination, it's just that AC1 themes it a little bit differently. Because there isn't an actual investigation mechanic in the game. You can replace any pre-assassination mission in AC1 with anything and that would not make a damn difference in the result (which is why it was possible to add 4 new sub-mission types in the final PC version), and that's not speaking in favour of AC1 investigations, honestly.