PDA

View Full Version : Big problems with AC 4

AlphaAltair
09-28-2013, 01:43 PM
http://analogaddiction.org/2013/09/27/trouble-on-the-high-seas-assassins-creed-iv-hands-on/

Sounds like the small tip of a large iceberg if AC3 is anything to go by.

Shahkulu101
09-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Oh deary me. I had suspicious that the world, although beautiful, would be slightly boring and frustrating to navigate.

DavidPage
09-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Well they did say that it was a very early version of the game and that the launching game will be much better...

roostersrule2
09-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Well now that the Analog Addiction said it, it must be true.

Shahkulu101
09-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Well now that the Analog Addiction said it, it must be true.

Why would they lie? It's not even just his opinion, it's actual issues that were clear as day to him. Maybe the final build will be vastly improved - who knows?

roostersrule2
09-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Why would they lie? It's not even just his opinion, it's actual issues that were clear as day to him. Maybe the final build will be vastly improved - who knows?I've seen one person complain, that person was from a gaming website that no ones ever heard of.

adventurewomen
09-28-2013, 02:27 PM
I saw none of these problems when I played the Eurogamer Expo AC4 demos.

Hans684
09-28-2013, 02:54 PM
"The demo, running on a PlayStation 4 spawned players in a random location in the map. I had the misfortune of being placed in the middle of the ocean on the Jack Daw, protagonist Edward Kenway’s personal pirate ship."
Sounds like he did not like the naval from AC3, so this is his opinion.

"I was given no direction so I chose to pick one of my own and head towards it."
It's called exploring something this game focuses on but juging by that he is not a fan of exploring either.

"It became apparent that Ubisoft probably*should*have given the user a destination marker as the island I headed to was blocked off by a high sand bank and was impassable for my ship so using the game’s seamless transitions from ship to sea I decided to swim to this island. "
Heard of a thingy called map? Well the map showing the entire Caribbean can show you where this island is, there is always going to be some form of blocked places in games, nothing new. Why swim there if it is blocked?

"However, when I reached the island I simply swam through it as if it wasn’t there." This is why it was blocked, have ever considerd that that island was not supposed to explored? And going through stuff in games is nothing new either.

"Unfortunately, this wasn’t the only hiccup in my 10 minute demo. By this point I had finally managed to find a small island inhabited by inebriated locals. As I have a look around I find myself on a secluded beach but I was still able to hear the singing and ramblings of the drunks on the other side of the island as if I was drinking with them myself." Would you rather that the game is totally silent when free roaming? The sound of the locals is just there to give the game some life/ feel that you are on a lively place.

"A third instance saw me boarding the Jack Daw once more and have the crew cheer for me upon my arrival though no faces were animated when this was happening. Blank faces all around but they were still cheering." I got a blank face by reading this.

"On top of this the world seemed rather empty as there are islands everywhere in Assassin’s Creed IV but hardly any of the ones I saw in my demo were accessible from a point of my choosing. They were either simply scenery or I had to enter from a specific point." maybe becouse it was just a demo, and is really that hard to go in that specific point. Also for activeties to do use the spyglass that showes random activities like ships to attack, whales to hunt e.c.t...As a note i'm not a GTA fan IMO they feel very empty and have a lot of useless stuff to do like golf who would want to play golf? thats something made for The Wii activeti games.

"It should be stressed that this was merely a vertical slice of what the final product will be but with a release date looming in just over a month, I’m concerned. As a fan of the franchise it doesn’t please me to have to write this but my first thought after the demo was finished was just how rough the game was in this instance.
Could it change by launch? I hope so but Assassin’s Creed III was a disappointment to some so lets hope the sequel doesn’t follow suit."
There it is it was just a slice of the game like every other kind of demo. Concerned becouse it does not suit your opinion on the demo? They can't please everyone. It already has changed, if AC3 really is that disepointing to you then anything can top it.

adventurewomen
09-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Honestly people worrying about nothing, seriously there's nothing to worry about!

pirate1802
09-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Oopsie, this doesn't look good.. That unlandable island thing has be especially worried. It means the world isn't as vast and expansive as we were made to believe.

EllJim
09-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Demo was alpha build already stated as such. LEts see final scores on the real product.

Not saying I am not concerned for a repeat of AC3 but it is a little unfair

dxsxhxcx
09-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Oopsie, this doesn't look good.. That unlandable island thing has be especially worried. It means the world isn't as vast and expansive as we were made to believe.

to be frank I was expecting this to be the case, we'll probably have some small/medium islands with animals, other with villages, tombs, some empty and on the big ones where'll have the cities we'll probably only have access to the cities and the beach (if I'm not wrong this was mentioned by Ashraf), maybe a few specific points with missions but I doubt these big islands will be fully explorable, don't expect to find a "frontier" on every island...

AnthonyA85
09-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Did it ever occur to the guy writing that article, that the demo he was playing was a build several MONTHS old? Of course it's been updated and improved since then.

And the fact that he apparently never even bothered to look at the ingame map says a lot. and from the way he was talking about the navel, it's obvious he wasn't fond of it in AC3. I'm not worried, I've liked what i've seen of video demos, and if what this guy encountered was more wide-spread, people would have reported it, so at best, he just went the wrong way and explored an area of the demo that wasn't fully set, and at worst, he was nit-picking.

pacmanate
09-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Honestly people worrying about nothing, seriously there's nothing to worry about!

Just because you didnt experience it doesn't mean its not there though.

If you can swim through islands, well crap. Although this seems like a mega glitch to me.

Hans684
09-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Just because you didnt experience it doesn't mean its not there though.

If you can swim through islands, well crap. Although this seems like a mega glitch to me.

We don't know what kind of "islands" he was swimming to except one local island. I bett he also tryed islands that was not meant to explored to.

pacmanate
09-28-2013, 05:06 PM
We don't know what kind of "islands" he was swimming to except one local island. I bett he also tryed islands that was not meant to explored to.

What do you mean that shouldnt be explored? Everything should be explorable. If there are random *** islands in the open world that you cant go too, then whats the point?!

AidenPixxel
09-28-2013, 05:09 PM
What do you mean that shouldnt be explored? Everything should be explorable. If there are random *** islands in the open world that you cant go too, then whats the point?!

It's crazy to think that they could make the entire cuba explorable

pacmanate
09-28-2013, 05:23 PM
It's crazy to think that they could make the entire cuba explorable

What... When I mean go too, i mean go THROUGH. The guy said he went through some islands.

Mr_Shade
09-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Well they did say that it was a very early version of the game and that the launching game will be much better...

And just to add - since I was at the Eurogamer Expo - and have also been showing the game off..

Not only was it early code - the demo the person played - was an 'Open World' demo - there was not really supposed to be any direction.. You could choose what to do from the world map - hence the 'Open world' part of the demo..

There were a few things you could do - attack convoys, explore islands, dive to the sea bed - or find hidden smuggler caves.. etc..

BUT - it was a small part of the final map - and the idea was to show off the seamless loading and the different things you have the freedom to do..

It was not supposed to show the amount of missions and other activities.. which are something which will be in the final game..

I guess the problem with a short 10 minute demo and the open nature of the demo - is some people would have lacked direction.. but if they asked the staff - they should have had pointers on what to look for etc - however maybe that was not the case..

I'm sorry the person had a poor demo - all of those I spoke too - enjoyed the freedom and understood the code was early, and there would be more to do..

Just my thoughts - I know for a fact nearly everyone I spoke too - enjoyed the Assassinate mission I was demoing - and found the combat ' a challenge' ;)

pacmanate
09-28-2013, 05:25 PM
But he could swim through an island?

I am guessing the demo build took a lot of island code out or something?

Mr_Shade
09-28-2013, 05:30 PM
But he could swim through an island?

I am guessing the demo build took a lot of island code out or something?

He might have - as I said - it's EARLY code - glitches happen - No one would have said otherwise when the demo was shown, so I'm not going to say he's lying - since I didn't see him play ;)

I do know when I played it - I never had that - you swim to islands, and walk out..

I also CRASHED into a few and some sandbars.. ;)

I suggest - as always - the demos are a fair representation of the game - but glitches happen..

I am sure everyone I demo'd to - I explained that the code was not final.. and things may look odd or happen - however 99.9% of the time - the demo I was using - was solid... ;)

pacmanate
09-28-2013, 05:33 PM
He might have - as I said - it's EARLY code - glitches happen - so I'm not going to say he's lying - since I didn't see him play ;)

I do know when I played it - I never had that - you swim to islands, and walk out..

I also CRASHED into a few and some sandbars.. ;)

Btw im not saying every island is explorable (even though I hope they are even if they are linear). I am just trying to get my head around how he swam through an island. I am sure this was just a glitch though.

Was this your first time playing it? I remember you saying you missed looking/playing it earlier this year? How was combat?

AnthonyA85
09-28-2013, 05:36 PM
either the island he tried swimming towards was blocked by a memory wall, or was fully implamented in the demo. Do you really think they'd have the ENTIRE game world explorable in a 5-10 minute demo?

Hans684
09-28-2013, 05:43 PM

Then GTA V most be a big lett down to since the are tons of useless buildings you can't explore.

Mr_Shade
09-28-2013, 05:45 PM
either the island he tried swimming towards was blocked by a memory wall, or was fully implamented in the demo. Do you really think they'd have the ENTIRE game world explorable in a 5-10 minute demo?

it wasn't.. ;)

It was a small area - I don't know the size, but it wasn't the entire map..

oh and re: combat..

The demo I was working - was the Assassination Mission - on the Sony stand [In case any of you played it and didn't know it was me!] - so plenty of combat and everyone - agreed it was improved and a challenge ;)

That was also early code - and apart from a few odd AI glitches - everyone said it was great looking and very smooth on the PS4 ;)

Pacmanate - The demo was early code - it's also not going to have every feature of the final game - OR - all of the islands..

There are also some islands in the demo with sheer rock faces [I ran into one..] and some with only a few places you can either swim onto or dock the Jackdaw - which to me is realistic..

pirate1802
09-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Must have been a glitch because, even if the island was not supposed to be explorable, they would,t consequently let you swim through it would they?

poptartz20
09-28-2013, 05:48 PM
yeah... I think if anything they wouldn't just let this happen during a final run of the game. But also we need to remember that, all games will have glitches regardless of this mishap or not.

lol! I find it funny that he wrote a whole article about how "bad" his experience was for an old 10 minute demo. gtfo. :|

ehh... people I'm sure it will be alright! but let's not get a big head and thing things will be "glitch free"

Mr_Shade
09-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Must have been a glitch because, even if the island was not supposed to be explorable, they would,t consequently let you swim through it would they?

I would say it was a glitch.. since that's kinda silly thing to allow ;)

lothario-da-be
09-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Not realy worried. But it shows that we shouldn't expect a perfect game in ac4. I have the feeling the hype is getting to high again. And for the unexplorable islands, i kinda expected that.And i think they even confirmed that.

ArabianFrost
09-28-2013, 05:56 PM

It was my concern as well, that most of the map would be mere scenery and not entirely explorable, which to an extent is true. I can't expect 50 mini-frontiers, however, when you think about it, these mountains by the side don't offer a lot of room for navigation or at least enjoyable navigation, so I guess we'll just have to cope considering the really tight time frame.

Mr_Shade
09-28-2013, 06:01 PM
I would wait for the reviews - or - more opinions..

The demo map - as I have said, is based on early code - is smaller than the full game - and may have place holder items /islands etc to fill out the map..

silvermercy
09-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Glitches always happen. Especially in early demos. Sheesh...
Compared to other reviews this article looks so unprofessionally written it's a joke!!

All I know is I'm going to enjoy the demos tomorrow, even with some glitches.

pacmanate
09-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Then GTA V most be a big lett down to since the are tons of useless buildings you can't explore.

Now you are just talking crap.

LieutenantRex
09-28-2013, 07:10 PM
I don't really take Analog Addict's worry as a true concern, as it was a demo, and not the full game. I'm still cautious, however, due to how Assassin's Creed III disappointed me last year.

adventurewomen
09-28-2013, 07:16 PM
yeah... I think if anything they wouldn't just let this happen during a final run of the game. But also we need to remember that, all games will have glitches regardless of this mishap or not.

lol! I find it funny that he wrote a whole article about how "bad" his experience was for an old 10 minute demo. gtfo. :|

ehh... people I'm sure it will be alright! but let's not get a big head and thing things will be "glitch free"

Glitches always happen. Especially in early demos. Sheesh...
Compared to other reviews this article looks so unprofessionally written it's a joke!!

All I know is I'm going to enjoy the demos tomorrow, even with some glitches.

These posts are the TRUTH..

Jeez people worry too much! -__-

STDlyMcStudpants
09-28-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm just not expecting much from the game....
If AC3 took 3 and a half years..there is no way a larger game can be done better in less time.
AC3 is my favorite in the series (i know im minority) so if i compare it to AC3 i know i will be disappointed.
So im going to play it for what it is..the continued story of templars vs assassins..not going to play it as the saving grace of Assassin's Creed that so many hope for..because let's be honest..it won't be.
Edward may be Ezio 2.0 Abut AC IV won't have the charm the renaissance brought us.
We won't see that charm again until AC V HOPEFULLY!! Where we get AC 3 and AC 2 quality again.
Not saying it will be the renaissance, but hoping for another charming world that I don't want to leave.
Im praying that assassins creed 5 has already started but that next years release has started a little after..i want AC V to have the time AC3 did.
When playing AC IV be optimistic..but don't expect GOTY....

ArabianFrost
09-28-2013, 07:39 PM
A thousand good impressions and no one bats an eye. One bad review and everyone loses their minds.

adventurewomen
09-28-2013, 07:56 PM
If AC3 took 3 and a half years..there is no way a larger game can be done better in less time.
AC3 is my favorite in the series (i know im minority) so if i compare it to AC3 i know i will be disappointed.
So im going to play it for what it is..the continued story of templars vs assassins..not going to play it as the saving grace of Assassin's Creed that so many hope for..because let's be honest..it won't be.
Edward may be Ezio 2.0 Abut AC IV won't have the charm the renaissance brought us.
We won't see that charm again until AC V HOPEFULLY!! Where we get AC 3 and AC 2 quality again.
Not saying it will be the renaissance, but hoping for another charming world that I don't want to leave.
Im praying that assassins creed 5 has already started but that next years release has started a little after..i want AC V to have the time AC3 did.
Agreed!

A thousand good impressions and no one bats an eye. One bad review and everyone loses their minds.
TRUTH!

Hans684
09-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Now you are just talking crap.

It was meant to be crap, anyway here's something. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJC0LJTYZc

Jexx21
09-28-2013, 09:26 PM

3 years. Most of the development was probably on the AnvilNext engine as well. AC4 is going to be better than AC3. Edward is not Ezio 2.0, and each game had it's charm. I expect AC4 to be my personal best release of the year, in all honesty.

ArabianFrost
09-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Still, I have my concern about how explorable the world is. Even if some parts of the map are off limits, will it be too jarring? Will it feel overwhelmingly scenic and less explorable? Non-climbable rock surfaces aside, what else is off limits?

If these questions have satisfying answers, then I pretty much have no beef with AC4 and it would be my GOTY then.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-28-2013, 09:40 PM
3 years. Most of the development was probably on the AnvilNext engine as well. AC4 is going to be better than AC3. Edward is not Ezio 2.0, and each game had it's charm. I expect AC4 to be my personal best release of the year, in all honesty.

How can you say that he isnt ezio 2.0?
Just to say something different?
Its obvious that they are trying to recreate Ezio here.
Edward is Married Ezio with a Haytham twist..
You will love to hate him and hate you love him.
AC1s world had no charm and .i dont believe AC IV will either...

Jexx21
09-28-2013, 10:00 PM
If you think he's Ezio 2.0 you haven't been paying attention to what Ubisoft is saying about Edward's character.

Edward is greedy, selfish, looks out only for himself and his crew. He's using the Assassins to his advantage, and he doesn't fully buy into their Creed. He's the devil to his enemies and a pal to his crew, indifferent to everyone else.

AC1's world had its own charm, and if you don't believe that AC4 will have its charm, then you haven't been paying attention.

roostersrule2
09-29-2013, 01:43 AM
He's not Ezio, the only personality trait they share is that they womanize.

Jexx21
09-29-2013, 02:39 AM
he's Alteziner 2.0

Jexx21
09-29-2013, 03:57 AM
he's Edwad Kernwhey

pirate1802
09-29-2013, 05:01 AM
How can you say that he isnt ezio 2.0?
Just to say something different?
Its obvious that they are trying to recreate Ezio here.
Edward is Married Ezio with a Haytham twist..

Yo, you can dissect any character like that. Just because someone shares a character trait with someone else doesn't mean they become 2.0

Connor was a tribal virgin Ezio minus womanizing and a lot more humility. Oh, and darker skin.

Connor was Altair 2.0.

Haytham was the Templar variation of early Altair.

I am Ezio 2.0 too.

Desmond was the human variation of a pizza.

AC1s world had no charm and .i dont believe AC IV will either...

Whaaa?

Frank9182011
09-29-2013, 09:11 AM
What the hell is wrong with this board?

I visit the thread to read actual news about the game and the last two pages are complete nonsense. This happens all too often with virtually every thread.

I understand not everything can be policed like GAF, but do the mods just not care whatsoever that most threads devolve into complete idiocy?

Sushiglutton
09-29-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm not worried about that too much tbh. All AC games have had their fair share of bugs (and so do all open world games). It's never been nearly as bad as described in that article. I'd be very suprised if the game turned out like that.

Mr_Shade
09-29-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm not worried about that too much tbh. All AC games have had their fair share of bugs (and so do all open world games). It's never been nearly as bad as described in that article. I'd be very suprised if the game turned out like that.
So.. and this his is not an attack on you, or anyone else you have your opinion, just good feedback for future events.

Even though you know it's early code, you understand that AI maybe glitchy, clipping of objects may happen, some features maybe not included, the map will have place holder object or be sparse, the game may crash etc due to it not being final code, the demo has affected your opinion on buying the game?

Ubisoft would rather give the public a playable demo in this state, as long as it's explained its early code etc etc (which is done to everyone playing it) than having nothing..

would you prefer that no demos are released using early code, knowing that it may mean no hands on gameplay until the full game has gone gold?

thoughts!?

Sushiglutton
09-29-2013, 01:02 PM
So.. and this his is not an attack on you, or anyone else you have your opinion, just good feedback for future events.

Even though you know it's early code, you understand that AI maybe glitchy, clipping of objects may happen, some features maybe not included, the map will have place holder object or be sparse, the game may crash etc due to it not being final code, the demo has affected your opinion on buying the game?

Ubisoft would rather give the public a playable demo in this state, as long as it's explained its early code etc etc (which is done to everyone playing it) than having nothing..

would you prefer that no demos are released using early code, knowing that it may mean no hands on gameplay until the full game has gone gold?

thoughts!?

Well I have never visited any of these events, but I'm pretty sure those who do love to try whatever demo there is ;). With five games out I think that track record means more than a single demo (should at least).

pacmanate
09-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Well I have never visited any of these events, but I'm pretty sure those who do love to try whatever demo there is ;). With five games out I think that track record means more than a single demo (should at least).

Tbf I only had a few problems with AC3 regarding glitches, and they were few, no game breaking ones. The other AC games were completely fine for me.

ladyleonhart
09-29-2013, 03:19 PM
The naval gameplay demo actually showcased ACIV's open world perfectly. :D You could choose what you wanted to do and I'm pretty sure most people wanted more freedom.

Anyway, some of the things I noticed included that the ship now has "travel speed". When this is selected, the camera zooms out and you can see the entire ship on screen. Icons that I noticed included a person swimming which represented an opportunity to recruit a crew member. I managed to get the crew to sing but this can only be initiated outside of battle, but they did continue singing as I was approached by an enemy ship and even into battle. ;) It was possible to board ships, but I ran out of time since I was having fun just exploring ;) so I can't comment too much on this aspect. However, from seeing other players while waiting in the queue, many people managed to leave their ship and explore on land and engage enemies. So, I really wouldn't freak out just from one's person's experience in an article.

Also, I think everyone needs to remember that whoever plays the demo only actually has about 10-15 minutes and you'd probably use some of that time to get the hang of some of the controls, especially with the newer aspects such as changes to the interface. As for the demo map which was apparently a small part of the map, it seemed like a very large area to me. :) So, I think it's safe to say the area to explore is quite vast and it certainly seems possible to get lost there. ;)

AlphaAltair
10-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Well I guess after all the polish they applied in the(pfft) 3 years it took to make AC3 we all have nothing to worry about in the (haha) 2 years they've been working on AC4. It's not like they're saying it's the biggest and most ambitious AC yet or anything...

I'm SURE all the marketing hype is truly justified and this game will truly live up to all our highest expectations and it all wont unravel after a thorough look like some other games in a series not too dissimilar and yet strangely identical to this one.

Mr_Shade
10-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Well I guess after all the polish they applied in the(pfft) 3 years it took to make AC3 we all have nothing to worry about in the (haha) 2 years they've been working on AC4. It's not like they're saying it's the biggest and most ambitious AC yet or anything...

I'm SURE all the marketing hype is truly justified and this game will truly live up to all our highest expectations and it all wont unravel after a thorough look like some other games in a series not too dissimilar and yet strangely identical to this one.
well all of the people posting who have played it - can't be wrong.. can they?