PDA

View Full Version : Can't observe a TCP/IP dame

jrepin
04-18-2004, 08:04 AM
I just got Chesmaster 9000 and here is my problem:

1 have 2 computers at home which are connected to the internet thru a router.
When I connect to my friend to play a chess game thru TCP/IP all works OK. But when my sister tries to connect to the same friend the connection never works. It connets only when I disconnect the other computer in my local network.

How can I connect both of my home computers to the host whic is set up by my friend?

jrepin
04-18-2004, 08:04 AM
I just got Chesmaster 9000 and here is my problem:

1 have 2 computers at home which are connected to the internet thru a router.
When I connect to my friend to play a chess game thru TCP/IP all works OK. But when my sister tries to connect to the same friend the connection never works. It connets only when I disconnect the other computer in my local network.

How can I connect both of my home computers to the host whic is set up by my friend?

jrepin
04-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Anyone knows how to fix this?

Live long and prosper!

jcordova
04-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi Jrepin,

I have the feeling your problem is more with the way TCP/IP works than with Chessmaster. You see, a router allows you to connect many computers to the same IP address. The router gets its IP address from your DSL/cable service provider. All your computers share that number.

But to your friend, and for that matter, to the rest of the internet universe, your single IP address can only represent one computer. Once your friend's computer is talking to the router, it can only see the first connection established.

The only way to work around this, is for you to set up a server computer inside your network, accessible to the internet via port-forwarding from your router... this would then allow as many independent connections as you had computers. It is not easy unless you know a lot of networking and have access to server software, as that that comes with linux.

jrepin
04-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Yeah I figured that out. And I still think it is a Chessmaster problem. To get it to work I would need to set two CMs to two different TCP ports (and set router forwarding for them to two different computers). But I don't see any options like this to manualy select the port in CM like I can in other games an applications that need client/server connection.

Live long and prosper!

jcordova
04-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Sorry there is no easy fix.

But I must insist, it is not a problem with Chessmaster. The problem lies in using a router at all. Your router tells the internet that you *are* a single computer, even though you are connecting several to it. It is the cheap solution for most applications.

But wait, there is another fix: call your ISP, and ask them if they will allow you to have two IP addresses. Some do, some do it for an extra fee. Then connect both computers to the internet directly, bypassing the router... or one through the router, the other one straight-thru. Keep in mind I don't mean private IP addresses--your router already assigns those to your machines, and they are one of the 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x series. You need at least two public, internet-grade addresses.

Now, it could only be a missing feature in Chessmaster if you *know* you have two independent IP addresses already, and your friend can see both of your computers with other applications (have him ping both of your machines at the same time, for example). Then it is Chessmaster. If your friend cannot ping both of your machines and get independent responses, the problem is still with your unique IP address.

jrepin
04-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Then why do other apps that also work with TCP/IP work? It is only because a user can set different port and it then works just fine. For example if I run two Apache web servers on totaly the same computer but I use two different ports (for example 80 and 81) and both are behind firewall they get different web page requests properly just by using the different port. And CM should work the same way and to me its current networking implementation looks quite bad.

Live long and prosper!

Steve_Toyne
04-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Play on CM Live and stop isolating yourselves http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
Seriously though, playing on CM Live would solve those problems and the community definitely needs it.