PDA

View Full Version : *POLL* What was the most useless tool in AC3? *POLL*

pacmanate
09-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Title says it all. I would have to go with Bow and Arrow even though that makes me sad. I was really looking forward to using it but 90% of the time the stupid AI detection screws me over and I get caught.

Choose your option and then say why if you wish.

roostersrule2
09-25-2013, 01:11 PM
I picked the smoke bomb, I felt it was only in there because it was in previous games, I don't think I ever used it.

Mr_Shade
09-25-2013, 01:12 PM
And just a reminder - keep it to the options listed and no trolling...

ArabianFrost
09-25-2013, 01:16 PM
I picked the smoke bomb, I felt it was only in there because it was in previous games, I don't think I ever used it.

I don't think it was even mentioned.

To be honest, I'd say most of the arsenal was pretty useless throughout the main storyline, cause there wasn't any need of tools in the mission. You just mow your way to the objective. Even in the forts which required the use of tools, it was really difficult to anticipate what they will actually do with how broken detection is. But as I said, there was rarely ever a case scenario where I needed bombs. Not even the smoke from a nuclear explosion could help you escape the chase by the gruesome AI.

lothario-da-be
09-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Voted poison darts, can't even remember them being in the game.

dxsxhxcx
09-25-2013, 01:21 PM
I only used the trip mines during counter attacks so have a new "weapon/tool" only to trigger different animations is pointless (the same applies for snares that wasn't listed on the poll);
I don't think the rope dart was useful enough (or fun) to use it, so IMO this is a weapon that was useless as well;

SixKeys
09-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Pistol and trip mine. I kept forgetting I even had a pistol, never used it since the rope dart was better in combat and reloading took forever. I think I only used trip mines once on an assassination contract. Even then it was useless because NPCs kept triggering it.

roostersrule2
09-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Pistol and trip mine. I kept forgetting I even had a pistol, never used it since the rope dart was better in combat and reloading took forever. I think I only used trip mines once on an assassination contract. Even then it was useless because NPCs kept triggering it.Really? The pistol was my favourite weapon (behind the tomahawk), I'd often use them with the Scottish axe guys, getting the guns with double shots made them so much more useful too.

pacmanate
09-25-2013, 01:59 PM
I used the pistol a lot too but I agree with SixKeys in the sense that it took too long to reload. Rope darts were quicker and more effective 1 hit kills.

silvermercy
09-25-2013, 02:09 PM
I've never used a smoke bomb. And I think I used the trip mine a couple of times... About the rope dart, I only realised until late in the game I could attack passing redcoats while standing on top of a tree branch.

Farlander1991
09-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Trip mine. I've used each tool at least once (usually for completing a certain optional objective), with smoke bomb being the least one I've used out of those. But I never used trip mines.

eifere
09-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Trip mines are best used when sneaking around guards, placing it within their walking path. But I used it only once in one of the Fort Liberation missions. Most underutilized tool for me :p Next is the rope dart.

But I can't live without poison darts! lol

pacmanate
09-25-2013, 04:34 PM
I've never used a smoke bomb. And I think I used the trip mine a couple of times... About the rope dart, I only realised until late in the game I could attack passing redcoats while standing on top of a tree branch.

It tells you that in the Rope Dart tutorial...

Assassin_M
09-25-2013, 04:35 PM
It tells you that in the Rope Dart tutorial...

which CAN be missed

pirate1802
09-25-2013, 04:42 PM

Same. It was there just cuz it was there in previous games. Another added baggage from the previous games.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Same. It was there just cuz it was there in previous games. Another added baggage from the previous games.That can be explained somehow but poison dart is the funniest 'offender' here. It was there in previous games because there wasn't anything else 'ranged'. Yet we have pistols and bow in AC but darts are still in.

pacmanate
09-25-2013, 04:46 PM
which CAN be missed

Of course. I just don't see how it could be as it marks out the places to go and then gives you text tutorials in the middle of the screen.

Farlander1991
09-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Well, I wouldn't call poison darts the biggest offender in terms of 'just because it was in previous games', because darts in AC3 are actually not lethal. So there's fists for non-lethal melee and darts for non-lethal ranged. Both bow/arrow and pistols are lethal.

Assassin_M
09-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Of course. I just don't see how it could be as it marks out the places to go and then gives you text tutorials in the middle of the screen.

I meant the tutorial in general xD If I remember correctly, it's in myriam's first encounter and that's optional..

pacmanate
09-25-2013, 05:04 PM
I meant the tutorial in general xD If I remember correctly, it's in myriam's first encounter and that's optional..

Well you should play all the missions then *hmph*

Shahkulu101
09-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Voted poison darts. Never used them except for this one time I threw like 8 at a bear. It didn't die, no.

Jexx21
09-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Trip mine.

I probably used smoke bombs the least though, but they're perfect for escaping from the groups of soldiers chasing after you.

SixKeys
09-25-2013, 09:43 PM
I used the poison darts in forts a lot. Then again, I always tried to play as stealthily as possible.

BTW, the whole "poison darts aren't lethal in AC3" is such bull. I know that's what the devs say, but in practice there's no difference. The guards never wake up if you use the darts on them. At least in AC4 the sleep dart effect is temporary.

Farlander1991
09-25-2013, 09:47 PM
BTW, the whole "poison darts aren't lethal in AC3" is such bull. I know that's what the devs say, but in practice there's no difference. The guards never wake up if you use the darts on them.

Well, there is no difference mechanically speaking, but there is thematically. I mean, beating someone to a pulp or putting someone to sleep from a corner is just as effective as tomahawking them or assassinating with a hidden blade, but you do it because you don't want your Assassin killing everybody left and right. Same with the poison dart. Personally, I'm fine with just the thematic difference, though the waking up stuff is nice too. But, for some reason, I think putting guards unconscious with hands won't be timed anyway, since mechanically it will be considered the same as 'assassinating' still. :-/ But on the other hand it's kinda a reward for taking the risk to getting close to them, so that's nice.

LieutenantRex
09-25-2013, 10:25 PM
The trip mine wasn't necessary. We were never introduced in game to it like the other weapons, (the same with the smoke bomb- but I used it a few times) and it was cumbersome to place. It seems like it was designed with Eagle Sense in mind, but that isn't in the game, so we'd have to assume where guards were going to plant it, and since -anyone- can trigger the trip mines, they could detonate before their proper use.

But their counter kills were cool.

Farlander1991
09-25-2013, 10:26 PM
You could counter kill with a trip mine? O_o

LieutenantRex
09-25-2013, 10:27 PM
You could counter kill with a trip mine? O_o

Yup. Have it selected and press Y, or triangle if you're on PS3, after countering. Connor would place a mine on a guard and throw them away.
Then fireworks.

Farlander1991
09-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Yup. Have it selected and press Y, or triangle if you're on PS3, after countering. Connor would place a mine on a guard and throw them away.
Then fireworks.

Wow. The next thing I'll learn is that you can counter with bait and horse whistle :D

But, it's very cool that pretty much every secondary can be used as a counter in battle. And more people would've known that, had there been more reason to actually use and select those secondaries >_<

silvermercy
09-25-2013, 10:40 PM
So.... trip mine "wins"? lol

Shahkulu101
09-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Wow. The next thing I'll learn is that you can counter with bait and horse whistle :D

But, it's very cool that pretty much every secondary can be used as a counter in battle. And more people would've known that, had there been more reason to actually use and select those secondaries >_<

Lol imagine a horse whistle counter - Connor's trusty steed falling from the sky to crush the poor redcoats.

Farlander1991
09-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Lol imagine a horse whistle counter - Connor's trusty steed falling from the sky to crush the poor redcoats.

What about erupting from INSIDE the redcoat?

adventurewomen
09-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Trip mines! Never worked well!

Well and so didn't the Smoke Bombs, I got Connor to throw one at a bear and it still attacked him! :eek:

Damn this is a multiple choice, I forgot to check Smoke Bombs as well! Doh! :-|

Shahkulu101
09-25-2013, 10:46 PM
What about erupting from INSIDE the redcoat?

Wouldn't be surprised if a couple of those grenadier's just casually burped out a whole horse. Those guys were FAT.

inferno33222
09-25-2013, 10:57 PM
I wish the trip mine could be more useful because I had a lot of fun with it in free roam. Setting it down the street and ambushing a troop of guards. But, unfortunately, the game is too easy for any need of most of these tools. Taking the time to prep a trip mine is useless if I can just cut through everyone. I NEVER used the trip mine, poison dart, rope dart, or smoke bomb during missions. There was just no need.

Megas_Doux
09-25-2013, 11:18 PM
It is sad to think the hours of effort put into these weapons.........But being honest, most of of them go unnoticed and are useless.

SixKeys
09-25-2013, 11:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ8jGqdE2iw

blacklimoband
09-26-2013, 02:24 AM

Great idea!!! At least then the darn thing would be good for SOMETHING.... Why isn't "Horse" on the poll? That was the most useless tool in the game!

LieutenantRex
09-26-2013, 02:30 AM
Great idea!!! At least then the darn thing would be good for SOMETHING.... Why isn't "Horse" on the poll? That was the most useless tool in the game!

Agreed. I reached a lot of places quicker without horses compared to when I traveled to the same locations mounted. Steeds were completely underplayed in the game, it was disappointing. The stamina system was highly unnecessary, and I felt as if the developers were trying to make the horses something that they weren't. They were fine from AC1-ACB, there was no need to change them.

blacklimoband
09-26-2013, 02:59 AM
Agreed. I reached a lot of places quicker without horses compared to when I traveled to the same locations mounted. Steeds were completely underplayed in the game, it was disappointing. The stamina system was highly unnecessary, and I felt as if the developers were trying to make the horses something that they weren't. They were fine from AC1-ACB, there was no need to change them.

Every time the dumb animal encounters a pebble...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s403x403/1233518_576407089063791_1329494665_n.jpg

pirate1802
09-26-2013, 03:26 AM

Lol I think you can counter with snares too. Not sure, remember seeing someone over here write that long ago.

LieutenantRex
09-26-2013, 03:33 AM
Lol I think you can counter with snares too. Not sure, remember seeing someone over here write that long ago.

You can. They're several animations with Connor brutally strangling soldiers to death with the snares.

blacklimoband
09-26-2013, 03:36 AM
You can. They're several animations with Connor brutally strangling soldiers to death with the snares.

LMAO... Ima hafta try this (and the tripmines) tonight :)

poptartz20
09-26-2013, 04:01 AM
ehh... I would have to go with the trip mines. I still think to this day I have actually yet to use it. :|

First playthrough I was about 80% done with the game when I realized I had never actually used them. So.. yeah it continues to stay that way. Haha.

blacklimoband
09-26-2013, 04:08 AM
ehh... I would have to go with the trip mines. I still think to this day I have actually yet to use it. :|

First playthrough I was about 80% done with the game when I realized I had never actually used them. So.. yeah it continues to stay that way. Haha.

Step 1: Find guard dog
Step 2: Plant trip mine
Step 3: Drop bait over trip mine
Step 4: Find a nice vantage point, grab a beer and some popcorn and enjoy the show :) With any luck the patrolling guards will follow the dog and go flying with it ;)

roostersrule2
09-26-2013, 04:14 AM
Trip mines are cool to counter with.

I change mine now to the Horse whistle thing, I hated it, everyone hated, everyone hated the horses.

poptartz20
09-26-2013, 04:16 AM
Step 1: Find guard dog
Step 2: Plant trip mine
Step 3: Drop bait over trip mine
Step 4: Find a nice vantage point, grab a beer and some popcorn and enjoy the show :) With any luck the patrolling guards will follow the dog and go flying with it ;)

Haha! really? What exactly did they do? other than explode!? -- I never used them so I really don't know! >_>

ACRules2
09-26-2013, 04:29 AM
I didn't even realize there were Trip Mines until I scrolled down about 3/4 of the game through.
Completely useless, never used them properly once.

blacklimoband
09-26-2013, 04:36 AM
Haha! really? What exactly did they do? other than explode!? -- I never used them so I really don't know! >_>

That's pretty much it, I just like watching the way they fly gracefully through the air after the explosion :) Also counts towards the "Distract 3 guard dogs with bait" challenge

It's also kinda funny dropping one and baiting in the wilderness where there's lots of furry critters... 1 big bang, heaps of bodies... unfortunately it ruins the pelts though

poptartz20
09-26-2013, 04:56 AM
I didn't even realize there were Trip Mines until I scrolled down about 3/4 of the game through.
Completely useless, never used them properly once.

Hahah! Glad I wasn't the only one that didn't notice them! But hey! at least you actually used them once! :D

That's pretty much it, I just like watching the way they fly gracefully through the air after the explosion :) Also counts towards the "Distract 3 guard dogs with bait" challenge

It's also kinda funny dropping one and baiting in the wilderness where there's lots of furry critters... 1 big bang, heaps of bodies... unfortunately it ruins the pelts though

Hahah! okay! I'll have to actually give this a try! -- I have a feeling this is not going to go well. Lol! I can already see me killing myself.

Farlander1991
09-26-2013, 07:18 AM

The stamina system was more of a technical issue, though. Without it the game wouldn't be able to keep up with loading the assets into the world it would require.

And I disagree about the horses being fine in AC1-ACB, I think they were crappy there as well :p :D

blacklimoband
09-26-2013, 09:50 AM
The stamina system was more of a technical issue, though. Without it the game wouldn't be able to keep up with loading the assets into the world it would require.

And I disagree about the horses being fine in AC1-ACB, I think they were crappy there as well :p :D

At least they didn't balk at every grain of sand.....

Farlander1991
09-26-2013, 10:00 AM
At least they didn't balk at every grain of sand.....

Well, they'd be as terrible in an area like the Frontier as AC3 horses are. It helped that in AC1-AC2 areas were pretty open, and even then if there was a rock in your way, things could get ugly. ACB horses were pretty terrible in the cities, useable only in, once again very open, countryside. Plus that one horse chase mission designed specifically for AC horses (one of the Romulus lairs), and it was awesome precisely because the track was straight and didn't require much maneuvering with the exception of "select route slightly to the right or slightly to the left".

blacklimoband
09-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Well, they'd be as terrible in an area like the Frontier as AC3 horses are. It helped that in AC1-AC2 areas were pretty open, and even then if there was a rock in your way, things could get ugly. ACB horses were pretty terrible in the cities, useable only in, once again very open, countryside. Plus that one horse chase mission designed specifically for AC horses (one of the Romulus lairs), and it was awesome precisely because the track was straight and didn't require much maneuvering with the exception of "select route slightly to the right or slightly to the left".

Good point :) I guess the horse problems in AC3 were just an extension of the horrible navmesh collision detection... I am constantly cursing the terrain design in the frontier... I mean, c'mon the guy can shinny up the tallest buildings in Boston and New York without trying, but gets stuck trying to climb over the lip of a 1 meter cliff, or can't climb over the trunk of a fallen tree? It does get annoying at times. Hopefully those issues won't be present in AC4, they've had a lot more time to get used to the new engine

Farlander1991
09-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Good point :) I guess the horse problems in AC3 were just an extension of the horrible navmesh collision detection... I am constantly cursing the terrain design in the frontier... I mean, c'mon the guy can shinny up the tallest buildings in Boston and New York without trying, but gets stuck trying to climb over the lip of a 1 meter cliff, or can't climb over the trunk of a fallen tree? It does get annoying at times. Hopefully those issues won't be present in AC4, they've had a lot more time to get used to the new engine

Connor does seem to have problems when it comes to approaching small objects from some kind of uneven angle. Though I didn't encounter the problem that much, but maybe it has something to do with me playing on PC where you can control the camera a lot easier than with the gamepad, so the angle problem is less of an issue.

Templar_Az
09-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Connor was probably the most useless tool in the game.

MaceoniK
09-26-2013, 09:04 PM
None of the tools were useless!!!:mad:

Sushiglutton
09-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Voted pistols, I dunno. I used the tripmines to kill the captain for full synch in one of the final missions. I think all tools do have something special about them. Ofc when there is very little challenge and loads of handholding in the game, the usefullness of everything kind of goes down.

Lol well played :D

pacmanate
09-26-2013, 09:31 PM

Darn it, Shade knew this would happen!

http://i.imgur.com/dkTUNfk.jpg

Sushiglutton
09-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Darn it, Shade knew this would happen!

http://i.imgur.com/dkTUNfk.jpg

Hahaha that's awesome :). He's been around the block good ol' Shadey!

HawkMan886
09-26-2013, 09:55 PM
I think Guns are fine I hope they don't go past World War I though because that would make combat useless and it would be like a Third Person Shooter which is just not a good genre for a Assassins Creed Game

STDlyMcStudpants
09-26-2013, 10:11 PM
None of the above - snares

pacmanate
09-26-2013, 10:18 PM
None of the above - snares

Snares, Whistle and Bait weren't included as they weren't weapony tools. Probably should have made that clearer.

LoyalACFan
09-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Snares, Whistle and Bait weren't included as they weren't weapony tools. Probably should have made that clearer.

You can use the snares for a counter kill though.

Had to go with trip mines.

pacmanate
09-26-2013, 11:47 PM
You can use the snares for a counter kill though.

Had to go with trip mines.

I know, but it wasnt meant as a weapon, its meant to capture animals, if you catch my drift.

Just like you can throw bait at guards, that doesnt make it a weapon :P

Jexx21
09-26-2013, 11:55 PM
snares beat all archetypes though

LoyalACFan
09-27-2013, 12:18 AM
snares beat all archetypes though

So do all the other tool counters. They were pretty overpowered. Guns, rope darts, bow, snare, mine, all of them were an instant kill for everybody except John Pitcairn.

pirate1802
09-27-2013, 07:08 AM
Lolol imagine countering with baits.

pacmanate
09-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Lolol imagine countering with baits.

I tried. It should have done it. It didn't have to cause damage but it could have acted as a stun or something. If someone threw fish at my face I would be sad.

Farlander1991
09-27-2013, 08:20 AM
I tried. It should have done it. It didn't have to cause damage but it could have acted as a stun or something. If someone threw fish at my face I would be sad.

It would actually indeed be cool to have money and bait toss to be a stun counter from which you could easily one-kill hidden blade your target (like in AC1 you can do that when they're taunted IIRC).

realnewyork718
09-30-2013, 03:20 PM
I have used everything on the list at least once, besides trip mines. Rope darts is another tool I probably would have never used if it wasn't for the trophy where you have to hang 5 enemies using them.

xboxauditore
09-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Trip mines, Never used them once.

Sturnz0r
09-30-2013, 06:11 PM
easily trip mines, but there is nothing more satisfying that blowing up a cat! It is just sad that alot of people have to die for it to happen

MaceoniK
10-01-2013, 01:26 PM
If you watch all this video, you will see, all the tools in AC3 are useful -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-heyPF1ekg

Trip mines - taking out patrolling guards, creating diversions, drawing attention

Smoke bombs - assassinating more than two enemies without triggering open conflict, escaping open conflict

Poison dart - creating diversions, drawing attention, silent ranged tool

Rope dart - silent ranged tool, drag enemies to hidden spots to assassinate, rope hang (draws attention and creates diversion), cool double assassinations and tool counters in open conflict

Pistol - instantly kill 2-4 spaced out enemies at range, blows up gunpowder barrels, cool double assassinations and tool counters in open conflict

Bow and arrow - extra long silent ranged tool, hunting without damaging fur's

watch the rest of my youtube videos to see all these tools being put to good use - http://http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl09kcLfhjUHBvbX85UhGRw