PDA

View Full Version : Highly recommended PF reading.

Mad_Hatter009
06-10-2004, 08:50 AM
"Fire in the Sky: The Air War in the Pacific."
by Eric M. Bergerud
Published by Westview

Stuffed full of all those juicy details that would really make PF historically accurate. (And I'm talking details like the number and type of AAA guns the Japanese had at Rabaul.) Very interesting stuff. S!

Mad_Hatter009
06-10-2004, 08:50 AM
"Fire in the Sky: The Air War in the Pacific."
by Eric M. Bergerud
Published by Westview

Stuffed full of all those juicy details that would really make PF historically accurate. (And I'm talking details like the number and type of AAA guns the Japanese had at Rabaul.) Very interesting stuff. S!

RAC_Pips
06-10-2004, 05:34 PM
It is indeed one of the best books around dealing with the SWPA Theatre.

Another book that is well worth reading - although broader in scope - is Peter Costello's "The Pacific War". Excellent coverage of the trials and tribulations of both US and IJ attempting to maintain and project air power in an incredibly difficult arena.

SkyChimp
06-10-2004, 06:40 PM
For sheer readability and good information, Fire In The Sky is excellent. It chock full of great information, and it is exceptionally easy to read because it flows nicely. Even though it's very thick, you'll finish quickly, and be disappointed when you are done.

Another book (2 actually) is John Lundstrom's The First Team and The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign. These books are amazing. Maybe the very best on the airwar in the Pacific in the first 6 months (8 months or so in the second book). They have an incredible amount of information contained in them. The only thing I don't like is that they jump around in time too much. Lundstrum will be talking about USS Lexington at Coral Sea in May 1942, then in the next chapter start off talking about USS Enterprise in April 1942. I know it has to be done this way, but it doesn't make for smooth reading. There is a lot of "flipping back" involved. But if you can put up with that, these books are absolute "must haves." I suggest getting them even if you can't stand "flipping back."

Regards,
http://members.cox.net/us.fighters/halfstaff.gif

RAC_Pips
06-11-2004, 03:11 AM
Gotta agree there. Lundstrom's books are the very best on the subject that deals with early war US vs Japan naval aviation. Incredible detail on both navies.

Going to the other end of the period the best book I have found on the B-29 bombing campaign is "Blankets Of Fire", by Kenneth P Werrell. ISBN 1-56098-665-4. Covers in fascinating detail the origins of the B-29, the development of a strategic bombing concept in the Pacific and the sheer power that the B-29 groups, the first faltering steps in China to the massive projection of power from the Marianas.

The bombing of Dresden and Hamburg pale in comparison to the frightful attacks on Japanese cities.