PDA

View Full Version : Academy spell stealer question to team

El_Bokutal
09-23-2013, 09:58 AM
When I watched the youtube replay I noticed a statement from the team concerning that nice academy creature with spell steal ability.
Some thinf like :
"We wanted to punish deacks relying on only one card such as SotS".

I must admit I like the idea of favoring more stable decks and overall better deckbuikding skills.
On the other hand, that guy is faction based, one of 6 factions now which means his impact on metagame is low.
And we allready have a cross-faction spell that does, dory that did exactly the same thing (spell steal, primal magic) before you guys decided it needed a rewording to exclude uniques from its target.

So : Why wouldn't you go back to spell steal original wording?

That would up primal magic, widen the range of decks punishing those "one key spell" decks and wouldn't be hard to do at all.

OhiraKyou
09-23-2013, 10:17 AM
It may sound cynical (a reasonable stance given the nature of all free-to-play games), but I wouldn't be surprised if the unique spell exclusion was to make uniques more desirable. People are willing to spend a lot to get them, after all.

NagiShaman
09-23-2013, 12:05 PM
You should already know the answer. Those cards are already in circulation and are not new. Possibility of stealing unique spells will have only academy, another reason to spent a seals on new fraction..

ElkazFATE
09-23-2013, 12:39 PM
This speal-stealer is good only vs earth, and water magic users. Versus another matchups its almost crappy creature.

@NagiShaman

No matter if this creature is in this expansion u must buy packs for seal to have good deck, so stop flaming.

svilleneuve
09-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Unique spells wouldn't feel Unique if they had an easy and accessible counter like Spell Steal was at the time. Spellstealer is better but only in one faction. This way, it doesn't completely devalue the Uniques, but it certainly is a good way to deal with them.

PengthePenguin
09-23-2013, 01:33 PM
This seems like a terrible way to balance the game....

SotS and MoN are incredibly powerful, yet Sandalphon and Dhamiria can't dispel them. Stealing either of those spells should end the game in a while. (You might want to not use either of those against Academy then.)

The other sad point is: There is nothing else worth stealing. Spell Steal is used as a niche spell to counter Stone Shields. Excluding a few exceptions, ongoing spells are just terribly bad, which indicates this games bad balancing.

Mryth01
09-23-2013, 02:19 PM
That spellstealer makes enchantment-type cards even more weak and risky than before.
There is a reason the most commonly played spells are instant damage type, rather than enchantment buff ones, becouse one is stronger than the other and way harder to counter.
Ongoings should get more reasons to play them and invest into them, rather than making even more ways to counter them.

With the inclusion of spellstealer, playing permanent spells against academy will be even more of a risk, add to that their spell recycling and snatching spells from opponent graveyard/deck, and suddenly Academy could cast more unique spells than Necropolis can deploy Atropos.

I agree that Unique spells make an huge impact to the game, but that was the point in creating them.
I agree that there should be counters against decks that revolve around one card, but the problem of such decks is present, becouse it's so easy to tutor for those big unique cards.
But making a deck that builds a synergy with one card suddenly face their own 'ace' which they cannot in any way counter (the example with Sandalphon/Dhamiria not having any means of dispelling their own SotS/MoN) is pretty absurd. It's even deadlier than getting Puppet Master on one of your key creatures (Imperial Guard in combo, Wolf Justicar in retaliation etc), becouse there are numerous ways to deal with creatures.

Also why is that Spellsteal primal spell cannot counter such a strategy, yet Academy-exclusive creature can? What, primal decks cannot punish opponents for playing MoN/SotS/Light of Tommorow in a way that Academy can? Sure they have dispel, but dispel is alright becouse you do not use uniques against it's owner.

What about ongoing Fortunes? As it stands ongoing fortunes are pretty difficuilt to get rid of, and if one such ongoing fortune would show up that would make me build a deck around it, shouldn't there be a way to punish that in a way that Spellstealer punishes ongoing Spells?

With all that said though, I do belive that serious thought and testing went into the expansion's cards, balance and everything will be clear once it arrives.

Freyjan
09-23-2013, 03:48 PM
And we allready have a cross-faction spell that does, dory that did exactly the same thing (spell steal, primal magic) before you guys decided it needed a rewording to exclude uniques from its target.

I'm confused, the card doesn't mention non-unique anywhere on it. Is it unable to steal things like MoN or SotS? Has it just never been updated on mmdoc or the game client? Because the version I'm reading would have me believe that it can steal any ongoing spell.

Just looking for some clarification ^_^

budynzmajonezem
09-23-2013, 05:35 PM
It's not updated on mmdoc, in game it is "Take an non-unique Ongoing spell..."