PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay article by SimonV Haven, Inferno and Neutrals

Aza404
09-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Brought to you by SimonV

Dear Champions,

The Empire doesn’t always like what the Wizards are doing. Sometimes, they go too far and greatly disrespect Asha. Crusaders are sent south to keep them in check.

In terms of gameplay, some Crusaders get better when they have no damage. We’ve already revealed the Chaplain and he represents this ability pretty well.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/F2P/MMDOC/Gameplay_article/2/S03_Cre_Hav_050.jpg

You’re going to want to play healing cards, especially Lay of Hands, a Light spell that removes a number of damage from your creatures equal to your magic level.

Crusaders are independent from the Empire and can gather their own resources. That’s why we now have a Crusader with Income 2!

One thing that wasn’t mentioned so far is the new cycle of Unique creatures. Each of them has a basic ability tied to their faction and they have an ability that triggers when they enter the battleground or attack. In Haven’s case, we have Anael, an Angel that heals her comrades, which fits Haven’s new gameplay perfectly.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/F2P/MMDOC/Gameplay_article/2/S03_Cre_Hav_055.jpg

Now let’s talk Demons

Most of the times, a Demon enters Asha when walls of Sheogh weakens during an Eclipse. But sometimes, a Wizard finds a way to summon a Demon to do his bidding, at a price.

Most of Inferno’s roster has great stats and abilities, but requires you to do something in return. Like the Abyssal Worm! He’s 8/4/8, Attack Anywhere, and costs 6. That’s pretty awesome if you ask me!

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/F2P/MMDOC/Gameplay_article/2/S03_Cre_Inf_054.jpg

This guy has a serious death wish!

But as I said, that beast comes with a drawback. As long as it’s in play, you can’t produce more than 3 resources. Well, as long as it’s in play, my opponent’s life total is in serious jeopardy!

On a smaller scale, Inferno gets another pesky Imp. This one could become pretty handy when it comes to protecting your Worm. As long as the Jester Imp is in play, only the imp can be targeted by abilities. Your opponent plays a Banshee? Wastes it on the Imp. Although you do have to consider that, you too can’t target anything else.

Let’s move on to some Neutral creatures.

Those usually don’t have a theme to tie them together, but they follow the general theme of the set. We’ve got a Burning Sand Elemental with Fire Burst, a Soothsayer that fetches Unique fortunes and this set’s very own Greater Air Elemental.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/F2P/MMDOC/Gameplay_article/2/S03_Cre_Neu_055.jpg

Oh! And a Phoenix!

When it dies, it comes back to your hand. For 2 resources, you get a 3/0/3 Flyer. If you look too fast, you might mistake that as a rush oriented creature. For such a low cost and great stats and to be able to go back to your hands over and over, surely it must have a drawback of some sort? Well, think of it as an additional cost. When you play it, you have to banish 3 cards from your graveyard. It can help you rush, but it also helps you defend, multiple times.

Let me end this article with one of my favorite spell of the expansion.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/F2P/MMDOC/Gameplay_article/2/S03_Spe_Air_052.jpg

Get used to this artwork; you’re going to see it a lot. For 6 resources, you choose 2 empty tiles and deal 5 damage to all creatures adjacent to those tiles. Who needs the Wombo Combo now?

Bazaltovy
09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Great, solid amount of information. Thanks a million!

PS. I'll get used to Forked Lightning for sure... but because of a different reason ;) (http://imageshack.us/a/img89/6581/va6m.jpg)

Hantziie
09-18-2013, 02:40 PM
not sure what to think about this habilities. Looks awesome but we just can see if it is or not in duel :)

AscendoO
09-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Another healing ability for heaven? Very creative :nonchalance: but maybe its a usefull one...

Gavr1l0
09-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Yay, chain lightning with more boobs!

constrict0r
09-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Ugh. I see we're still attempting to curb the overpowered cards by releasing weak counters that aren't all that effective. How about just directly nerfing Banshee instead of releasing a weaker card as a lightning rod? I can fix banshee in one second. Make the target of instant destruction by the banshee a random creature opponent controls instead of being able to direct it. Still a powerful card without being overly dominant.

Instead, factions are being given weak counters that probably won't work very well at all.

constrict0r
09-18-2013, 03:56 PM
While I'm on a roll, I'm disappointed to see we're encouraging deck searching (search for unique fortunes). In a game with a 50 card minimum where you can draw two or more cards every turn with ease, unique cards which massively impact the game for low costs (strength of sea, forbidden flame) should not be obtained by deck searches. I am also assuming that this set will have new unique fortunes to make the new tutor more appealing.

Even if it doesn't, I expect Necro and Inferno to become even more dominant, as Garant's Purge and Seria's Legion are by far the best unique fortunes in the game. Doubtless Adar-Malik and Dhamiria players will rejoice.

mriClipse
09-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Well, I hope the healing will actually be useful now. Because every time that Haven has had a decent deck, it was always a rush Haven that had nothing to do with healing.

GarthRoscoe
09-18-2013, 04:01 PM
I foresee board resets every two turns.
The game will be so much more fun after the next expansion hits the stands.
Why even bother with creatures anymore?

MamuzShah
09-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Ugh. I see we're still attempting to curb the overpowered cards by releasing weak counters that aren't all that effective. How about just directly nerfing Banshee instead of releasing a weaker card as a lightning rod? I can fix banshee in one second. Make the target of instant destruction by the banshee a random creature opponent controls instead of being able to direct it. Still a powerful card without being overly dominant.

Instead, factions are being given weak counters that probably won't work very well at all.

To nerf or not to nerf, that is the question...

But please, don't add too much randomness !

MamuzShah
09-18-2013, 04:20 PM
While I'm on a roll, I'm disappointed to see we're encouraging deck searching (search for unique fortunes). In a game with a 50 card minimum where you can draw two or more cards every turn with ease, unique cards which massively impact the game for low costs (strength of sea, forbidden flame) should not be obtained by deck searches. I am also assuming that this set will have new unique fortunes to make the new tutor more appealing.

Yep'. If future unique cards are gamebreaker like MoN is today, to start to build a deck by adding 12 unique tutor will become more and more a good idea ! ^^

Anyway, i don't like "unique" cards. Without tutor, it adds randomness. With tutor, it breaks diversity.
The design of legendary cards in MTG is cleverer, in my opinion.

svilleneuve
09-18-2013, 04:34 PM

Banshee was just one example. It also counters Kelthor, Nergal, Spitter, Outmaneuvers, Ishuma (in some cases), Fire Bolt, Fireball, Lightning Strike, Invoke Shadow, Puppet Master, Inner Fire, Sacrificial Altar... Do you want me to keep going?

The Imp was designed as a creature that screws with decks that uses a lot of single target effects.

As far as Uniques goes, there are counters to those too and if your deck is based around 1 single card and your ennemy plays that counter, you'll be screwed. They are powerful cards, but we created cards that punishes decks that are over-relying on them.

lordmorto
09-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Realy awesome creatures for Inferno

AscendoO
09-18-2013, 05:16 PM
I think the jester will work just fine, its an interesting card overall, but why give heaven another heal ability?
They already have Eleonore, a basically useless card. Why not just remake her ability and give the new unique a new ability?

HiddenGrounds
09-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Why, hello there, Tax Man 2.0! ;)

constrict0r
09-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Banshee was just one example. It also counters Kelthor, Nergal, Spitter, Outmaneuvers, Ishuma (in some cases), Fire Bolt, Fireball, Lightning Strike, Invoke Shadow, Puppet Master, Inner Fire, Sacrificial Altar... Do you want me to keep going?

The Imp was designed as a creature that screws with decks that uses a lot of single target effects.

As far as Uniques goes, there are counters to those too and if your deck is based around 1 single card and your ennemy plays that counter, you'll be screwed. They are powerful cards, but we created cards that punishes decks that are over-relying on them.

No offense, but I've noted how well the counter cards thus far have worked out. Poorly. Just one example are the 'counters' to graveyard recycling released last expansion. One of the counters is a weak neutral creature that ends up softening your deck up vs. everything that's not Necro/Adar Malik and just gets killed off by Adar Malik via Banshees, Poison Spinners, or Dark/Fire removal. The other card requires inferno faction and is a completely dead card vs. most decks out there and is not terribly effective vs Necro either. You only get to banish cards from graveyards at a point in time and not continuously, making the card not strong enough at stopping necro recursion.

It's much better to tone down the offending cards/strategies than release poor counters that are scrub-traps to use.

cucu99
09-18-2013, 06:29 PM
I think the jester will work just fine, its an interesting card overall, but why give heaven another heal ability?
They already have Eleonore, a basically useless card. Why not just remake her ability and give the new unique a new ability?

It has lot of different between Eleonore and Anael i'm sure you will like Anael;)

jmgreetis
09-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Definitely looking forward to the new set. Mostly for the altar of wishes. I'm still too new and building my haven deck up to start purchasing newer set cards, still buying basic for the time being. Soon though, very soon. And I am very much looking forward to being shocked by those GORGEOUSLY VOLUPTUOUS TITTAYS!!

CelestialSeraph
09-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Love the looks of those crusaders. There's no question to what inspired you guys there :). Seems like the abyssal worm will be quite a terror, with 3 resource production an inferno play can still deploy small creatures to block the enemy while wreaking havoc with the worm.

On a sidenote @Aza404
Shouldn't the 'Asha's' in your post be 'Ashan'? Unless my might and magic lore is totally off, mixing up the deity with the world ;)

svilleneuve
09-18-2013, 06:55 PM
No offense, but I've noted how well the counter cards thus far have worked out. Poorly. Just one example are the 'counters' to graveyard recycling released last expansion. One of the counters is a weak neutral creature that ends up softening your deck up vs. everything that's not Necro/Adar Malik and just gets killed off by Adar Malik via Banshees, Poison Spinners, or Dark/Fire removal. The other card requires inferno faction and is a completely dead card vs. most decks out there and is not terribly effective vs Necro either. You only get to banish cards from graveyards at a point in time and not continuously, making the card not strong enough at stopping necro recursion.

It's much better to tone down the offending cards/strategies than release poor counters that are scrub-traps to use.

There's a huge difference between a card like this Imp and silver bullets. You'll see, he might not tbe the best solution, but he is a cheap way to screw with your opponent's plans. :)

I'll admit we may have missed the mark on some of our counters, but we can only get better at designing the right solution for a given problem.

AscendoO
09-18-2013, 06:56 PM
It has lot of different between Eleonore and Anael i'm sure you will like Anael;)

I hope so :D yet a bit more diversity wouldnt hurt heaven.:o

Gavr1l0
09-18-2013, 07:26 PM

Those counters, while bad and inelegant, still beat your gamedesign insights.

DoubleDeck
09-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Abyssal worm with Jester Imp! Bring it!!!!!

Atisdai
09-18-2013, 11:07 PM
I think the one thing I am worried about will be the dominance of spells.
Already they are pretty powerful. We'll see how it goes in the new expansion.

OG-FROST
09-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Void Arbiter Lock, Chaos Imp, Jester Imp combo would be insane late game. Cannot wait for Forgotten Wars! So many possibilities flooding my brain. Bring on Fridays stream. Also Jester imp + Day of the Sanctuary event would be really cool too. #ForgottenWars #GetHyped

Bazaltovy
09-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Maybe this will make you understand: in Forgotten Wars the dev team aimed at making Heal useful, with Crusaders' help. They may have some damn awesome boosts when at full HP, so you want to keep them alive and kicking all the time.

I kinda miss defensive Haven, with Guards and stuff. Hopefully there will be more tactical options involving a hard survival mode. :P

SoilBurn
09-19-2013, 10:15 PM
@Bazaltovy: Nice thoughts but unfortunately unrealistic. As long as lock/stall fortune decks are prevalent, you can forget any defensive strategy based on e.g. healing.
Right now the game is all about either a) abusing pao or b) rushing the opponent w. the help of OP spells or (worst of all) c) spamming stone shields/ altars / wastelands.
The exceptions to the above are very, very rare and on most occasions lose to c) due to being too slow.

And - judging by Jason's comments in the last stream - I am not sure whether the devs have understood how problematic lock strategies (still) are at the moment...

robvalue
09-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Agreed, unless these "boosts" give them a way around all the lock cards, they are just gonna sit there like everything else and stare at Altar of Shadows.

razcrux
09-20-2013, 08:23 AM
A new unique card for haven that, like the last one also heals doesn't seem exciting on paper. May it can "survive" better but that just makes the current card useless. Perhaps instead the new unique should have supported the existing one instead? The Imp-Jester-card-effect would have also been very suitable to Haven and would have made healing, and as a result: Elanor, much more usable.

I second the motion that Lock decks desperately need EFFECTIVE counters available against them. I haven't heard it mentioned directly in any of the streams, so I really hope that the counters to lock decks in this expansion will be actually good at what they do and can't just be discarded from hand/deck by Inferno lock decks (hint: the counter needs to be an Event card)

Otherwise I like that new cards are making the zig-zag less of a sure thing. Shockwave and double-lighting are good starts in a new direction to make your opponent less able to predict and stop spell-patterns in the game.

Looking forward to the expansion.

Kraeger_Hack
09-22-2013, 11:36 PM
Heals cannot fix haven nor can abilities that revolve around full hp. Haven does not have the tankiness to go with it (not even counting all the creature removals direct or supporting available) NOR the row pressure to make enemies avoid your rows. Their spells assume you have at least something decent in the field. Their resurrection spells/abilities are nothing compared to necropolis thus they can't even provide some tenacity for creature exchanges(they have just one good but unique card for this. good luck drawing that when you need it). What id rather see is more simultaneous retaliations with attackers or better yet, the hellfire maniac 2nd ability in more of their ordinary creatures but with different damages. This will buff haven to playability.

Guards especially the expected magic guards are only situational, can easily be removed, and sets up the group for aoe.