PDA

View Full Version : Unfulfilled Screenshot and trailer promises

MaceoniK
09-18-2013, 05:11 AM
http://www.assassins-creed.ru/uploads/images/ac3/gallery/screenshots/11.jpg - canoes.

http://www.assassins-creed.ru/uploads/images/ac3/gallery/screenshots/73.jpg - rope dart enemies on horse back.

http://www.assassins-creed.ru/uploads/images/ac3/gallery/screenshots/168.jpg - I don't remember ever being able to do this!

http://youtu.be/GwnzRufewJU?t=2m5s - Medicine man and the provider side missions @ 2:09 , plus the entire mission that follows (which looks better than anything that ended up in the final game).

http://youtu.be/EiVJG_mrtFo?t=1m46s - running tomahawk assassination on horse backed enemies @ 1:46.

These are just a few examples that I noticed , but I'm sure there's more.

The point I'm trying to make is that, in the build-up to AC III, ubisoft made the game look better than it actually turned out (I think this was one of the main contributing factors that lead to alot of people being a bit disappointed with the final product.), don't get me wrong I still love AC III, but I think ubisoft portrayed the game to be more than it was, and shouldn't really show stuff there not positive will be in the finished game (essentially promising things that they don't eventually deliver).

It makes me wonder what we've seen so far in trailers and screenshots of AC IV that wont end up in the final game... Will we suffer a similar disappointment?...

http://www.assassins-creed.ru/uploads/images/ac4bf/gallery/screenshots/bf46.jpg - Don't think I've seen Edward looking through his telescope (third person view) in any of the trailers.

http://www.assassins-creed.ru/uploads/images/ac4bf/gallery/screenshots/bf64.jpg - Will you be able to do this in the game?

What do you think?, and can you spot anything that seems a bit dubious?

pirate1802
09-18-2013, 05:30 AM
That Edward looking through the telescope in symbolic. If you would look at Edward as he looked though his tool in 3rd person mode then that'd defeat the very purpose of having a telescope wouldn't it? He looks though it plenty of times in the trailers anyway.

Also that last one seems to be Kingston and it seems to be a viewpoint. Again symbolic. The purpose of that screenie is to show the beauty of the scenery, not to show a gameplay feature. If people think they would be able to sit down on buildings then they are lining themselves up for disappointment.

I think you're right that devs did hint towards nonexistent things in AC3, but sometimes we fans too, take things too literally and hype ourselves to the seventh heaven. :p My two cents.

MaceoniK
09-18-2013, 06:01 AM
If you would look at Edward as he looked though his tool in 3rd person mode then that'd defeat the very purpose of having a telescope wouldn't it?

I do realise that a third person view would defeat the purpose of actually looking through the telescope, but the screenshot suggests to me that such an stance/pose exists in the game and maybe it's part of some kind of animation that happens before switching to a first person view.

I always thought screenshots where suppose to depict stills of actual gameplay (screenshots, if you will.), not altered game engine images to portray some kind of symbolism...

But maybe you're right and I'm taking things to literally.

pirate1802
09-18-2013, 06:27 AM
Maybe you'll see him in such a position during one of the sequence start animation?

And all of these screenshots are doctored. Most of the prerelease screenshots are. Especially for AC where they try to show the mood/feeling of the setting. But hey, maybe that screenshot too is part of the sequence-starting animation?

LoyalACFan
09-18-2013, 07:22 AM
The two from AC4 you posted could be from cutscenes, and you actually can whack a guard with a checkerboard in TOKW, but it's only a scripted, one-time thing in the mission where you learn John Adams is dead.

But as for the other stuff, yeah, it was cut. Or, in the case of the horseback tomahawk assassination, BS'd from the start.

MaceoniK
09-18-2013, 07:27 AM
And all of these screenshots are doctored. Most of the prerelease screenshots are. Especially for AC where they try to show the mood/feeling of the setting

I can accept that the resolution of the screenshots are doctored. to, as you put it... "show the mood/feeling of the setting" ,but all that can be achieved without depicting Edward doing something that isn't possible to in the game (seems kind of misleading to me, only if your under the impression that screenshots are, well, actual screenshots of course).

Maybe your right, and its a screenshot is of a cut-scene, although that usually involves characters interacting in some way and if my AC 3 examples above are anything to go by... I'm sceptical.

You've got to see my concern here... how cool would it have been, if you could do this - http://www.assassins-creed.ru/uploads/images/ac3/gallery/screenshots/73.jpg in AC 3?, but no, just a unfulfilled promise in my eyes.

MaceoniK
09-18-2013, 07:34 AM
you actually can whack a guard with a checkerboard in TOKW, but it's only a scripted, one-time thing in the mission where you learn John Adams is dead.

Ok fair enough, been a while since I played TOKW. Do you think I should edit my post and delete that screen?

pirate1802
09-18-2013, 08:02 AM
I can accept that the resolution of the screenshots are doctored. to, as you put it... "show the mood/feeling of the setting" ,but all that can be achieved without depicting Edward doing something that isn't possible to in the game (seems kind of misleading to me, only if your under the impression that screenshots are, well, actual screenshots of course).

The mood can be increased by having the character take up certain position. Which would be better, him sitting like this or standing in the middle of the screen (is that even possible on that position?) I think pretty much everyone knows not to take such screenies literally. Screenshots showing new techniques, tools or moves on the other hand, would arouse curiosity.

I agree with you that AC3 misled to some extent, but that Edward on the top of the windmill scene is not a part of it. If it is, then pretty much every game in existence does it.

Farlander1991
09-18-2013, 08:38 AM
One simple truth has to be understood, though. Nobody creates assets and animations SPECIFICALLY for screenshots, even if situations are staged.

So at the time of making those AC3 screenshots, there was a canoe and you could rope dart enemies on horses. It was cut out. There are a number of reasons why things like these are cut out, the most usual one is - it wasn't working properly or the way it should've had. But devs don't think that it's going to be cut out, because they want the game to be awesome and have as much awesome stuff in it as possible. But things don't always work out (this especially concerns AC3, which had to cut out a lot and still didn't polish everything to the way they intended, I'm sure there was a huge number of difficulties during the development that weren't publicly told to the community). But the thing is, you released a screenshot, you CAN'T take it back. It's already there, on the Internet, living its own life so to speak. Doesn't mean that the devs wanted to intentionally mislead the players.

Same with AC4. There is an animation of Edward sitting. Heck, it's probably an animation of him sitting on the bench. He was just put on the roof to make the screenshot look more nice. Maybe it's from a start of sequence cutscene, even, that's always a possibility. And there is an animation of Edward looking through the glass, but, again, it's most likely for cutscene purposes. Though, this one's less staged in sense, that you ARE able to look through the looking glass anytime you want when you're on a ship, you don't see it from third person sure, but the action IS there, so that particular screenshot is not misleading at all.

MaceoniK
09-18-2013, 09:05 AM
The mood can be increased by having the character take up certain position. Which would be better, him sitting like this or standing in the middle of the screen (is that even possible on that position?)

I didn't say that the mood couldn't be increased by strategically placing the character in certain poses not possible in gamepaly, they quite clearly can, it looks good, but as I said, it's misleading... You say "I think pretty much everyone knows not to take such screenies literally"... I'm not so sure, you can't really blame someone who looks at that screenshot and thinks... wow that's cool, you can sit on top of buildings (would be a nice little touch if it turns out you can).

This is slightly irrelevant because your focusing on the AC 4 screenshots I picked as examples of things I think might not be in the final game, (obviously we don't know weather they will or not yet), and not the primary question I was posing, which is, put simply... we were shown thing's in the build-up of AC 3 that didn't come to fruition, so do you think the same will happen to AC 4, if so can you think of any examples?

pirate1802
09-18-2013, 09:40 AM
. I'm not so sure, you can't really blame someone who looks at that screenshot and thinks... wow that's cool, you can sit on top of buildings

Only if they are new to the series and don't know how games are marketed unfortunately.Because like I said, many times devs throw in a tiny extra to make screenies/trailers look better. AC is hardly the only one who does it. The trailer showed Edward using enviornmental objects to fight. People thought its a new combat style. the devs said it was just there to make the trailers look better.

we were shown thing's in the build-up of AC 3 that didn't come to fruition, so do you think the same will happen to AC 4, if so can you think of any examples?

One of the trailers showed Edward opening a door. I don't think there will be openable doors in the game. Also it showed him standing on the tip of a ship while it was moving. that probably can't be done either..

Farlander1991
09-18-2013, 09:47 AM
The trailer showed Edward using enviornmental objects to fight. People thought its a new combat style.

Okay, there's a difference, that was a CGI trailer (also, since the combat system for the most part is retained in AC3, at least the basics of it, you can counter with environmental objects).

pirate1802
09-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Okay, there's a difference, that was a CGI trailer (also, since the combat system for the most part is retained in AC3, at least the basics of it, you can counter with environmental objects).

You can? :O I thought the devs denied it?

MaceoniK
09-18-2013, 09:56 AM
at the time of making those AC3 screenshots, there was a canoe and you could rope dart enemies on horses. It was cut out. There are a number of reasons why things like these are cut out, the most usual one is - it wasn't working properly or the way it should've had. But devs don't think that it's going to be cut out, because they want the game to be awesome and have as much awesome stuff in it as possible. But things don't always work out (this especially concerns AC3, which had to cut out a lot and still didn't polish everything to the way they intended, I'm sure there was a huge number of difficulties during the development that weren't publicly told to the community). But the thing is, you released a screenshot, you CAN'T take it back. It's already there, on the Internet, living its own life so to speak. Doesn't mean that the devs wanted to intentionally mislead the players..

I realise the devs didn't intentionally mislead us, and when the screens were released they fully intended the scenarios depicted to be part of the game, but like I said unless there absolutely positive something's not gonna get cut, why release it? it's a recipe for disappointment. Hopefully history hasn't repeated itself, and they learned to have a bit more foresight and not give away uncertain elements too early.

Same with AC4. There is an animation of Edward sitting. Heck, it's probably an animation of him sitting on the bench. He was just put on the roof to make the screenshot look more nice. Maybe it's from a start of sequence cutscene, even, that's always a possibility.

Maybe you will actually be able to sit on top of buildings like that, I only used that screen as a possible example, we obviously don't know yet.

Farlander1991
09-18-2013, 10:03 AM

The devs denied using environmental objects in combat. A.k.a., you can't go all Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, take a chair, break the chair over somebody, then take the chair's leg and fight it like a club. But there was no denial in regards countering near environmental objects (at least as far as I know), like in AC3 you could counter near barrels, tables, and bottles too actually, and Connor/Haytham would use that. However, that's NOT using environmental objects in combat.

At least that's my understanding of the situation.

I realise the devs didn't intentionally mislead us, and when the screens were released they fully intended the scenarios depicted to be part of the game, but like I said unless there absolutely positive something's not gonna get cut, why release it?

There's never an absolute positive something's not gonna get cut until the game goes gold. Although chances in the last stages of development are certainly much lower.

MaceoniK
09-18-2013, 10:15 AM

I think Farlander1991 is referring to the environmental kills from AC 3, like when you counter near a wall or ledge and at certain points in the game, barrels and tables, and he or she is right, no one really looks at CGI trailers for hints of gameplay mechanics, maybe speculate like when Edward smashed that guy on the head with a plank of wood, but like you said the devs denied it.

Farlander1991
09-18-2013, 10:16 AM
and he or she is right

He :)

MaceoniK
09-18-2013, 10:29 AM
There's never an absolute positive something's not gonna get cut

I'm pretty sure when it comes to gameplay mechanics, there's a small list of things that could potentially not make it in the finished game, therefore the sensible thing to do is, not show them... better a player be pleasantly surprised by a game than disappointed.

Farlander1991
09-18-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm pretty sure when it comes to gameplay mechanics, there's a small list of things that could potentially not make it in the finished game, therefore the sensible thing to do is, not show them...

You never know. There were games that had quite big chunks of game mechanics cut before release (though I can't think of any particular example from the top of my head right now), it all depends on the situation. Besides, sometimes things seems that they're 100% going to be in the finished game.

Let's say you're an AC3 dev, you have the rope dart working properly on land-based enemies and not so-properly on horse-based enemies, and with a number of months to fix that and half of the rope dart capabilities already IN the game, would you really consider it to be something that won't get into the finished product?

MaceoniK
09-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Let's say you're an AC3 dev, you have the rope dart working properly on land-based enemies and not so-properly on horse-based enemies, and with a number of months to fix that and half of the rope dart capabilities already IN the game, would you really consider it to be something that won't get into the finished product?

Ok let's say, hypothetically... the rope dart isn't fully working on horse-based enemies, and you do have a number months to fix it... the fact is, it's not at a stage were you could confidently say "hey everybody, look at what you can do in this game!"... just seems like bad practice.

Farlander1991
09-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Ok let's say, hypothetically... the rope dart isn't fully working on horse-based enemies, and you do have a number months to fix it... the fact is, it's not at a stage were you could confidently say "hey everybody, look at what you can do in this game!"... just seems like bad practice.

In hindsight, yes.

You should look at it from the perspective of lesser knowledge about the future outcomes, though. The devs wouldn't advertise something that's just simply not working, that's correct. But you have an implemented rope dart mechanic. With some bugs regarding horse-use in the bug tracker that are assigned to fix before a certain date. Marketing comes to you and asks, hey, we need to show something cool with the ropedart, will this do? And you're like, sure! It's there, so why not? (And, heck, maybe at this point said bugs WEREN'T discovered yet). After all, you're excited about this feature, it's implemented, just needs some polishing (and, well, EVERYTHING needs polishing at that stage, so what, just because it does one shall not release any screens at all?). And so the screen is released, you continue the development, fix some bugs, more are found, fix those, more are found, and the land part is working properly but there are still problems with the horse. And then maybe somebody finds a huge game-breaking bug nobody was aware of, or maybe not, maybe lots of small little bugs just crop out and crop out, and we got to the beta phase and to the part when there's not a lot of time before the ending of the Beta phase left, so the team gathers and is like, 'okay, we need to prioritize on fixing this and this, and we won't haave enough time to fix the rope dart with horses, but we can't release it like that' - '.... ****. I guess we need to cut it').

That's just one possible situation.

Basically, what I am trying to say, when you're in that development position, and you're excited, and confident, and the plan works out as intended, you don't tend to think "oh, this is a feature that might get cut so let's not advertise it" unless it's in early stages or absolutely broken.

SixKeys
09-18-2013, 11:35 AM
I can understand complaining about missing canoes and ropedarting enemies on horseback, but complaining about whether Edward will be sitting or standing on a rooftop? Really?

pacmanate
09-18-2013, 12:39 PM
1. 3rd person through telescope, makes no sense.
2. Sitting down, most likely a cutscene. There is no point in that function being in the game.

ladyleonhart
09-18-2013, 12:50 PM
1. 3rd person through telescope, makes no sense.
2. Sitting down, most likely a cutscene. There is no point in that function being in the game.

The telescope image could be a before and/or after shot of seeing through the telescope in the first person. Or it is just an image to illustrate the feel and scenic views of ACIV.

Agreed, or it's promotional material to, again, illustrate the beauty of ACIV's setting.

roostersrule2
09-18-2013, 12:52 PM
If we can't sit down I'm cancelling my preorder!!!!

Well preordering, then cancelling it.

SixKeys
09-18-2013, 01:09 PM
There was a scene in one of the AC3 trailers of Connor looking through his telescope at an enemy ship during a storm. The camera zoomed into the telescope lens, possibly as a reference to first-person view. I suspect the Horizon feature was originally in the works for AC3, but when they decided to limit naval exploration to linear missions, they removed it.

roostersrule2
09-18-2013, 01:17 PM
There was a scene in one of the AC3 trailers of Connor looking through his telescope at an enemy ship during a storm. The camera zoomed into the telescope lens, possibly as a reference to first-person view. I suspect the Horizon feature was originally in the works for AC3, but when they decided to limit naval exploration to linear missions, they removed it.Isn't that scene in AC3?

Connor had a telescope, I don't think the horizon system was in though, as it was not open world, although at E3 they said we could sail all across the Eastern coast at our own will.

adventurewomen
09-18-2013, 02:01 PM
I was disappointed there was no Canoes and the lack of Grappling Guards off from Horses! :(

roostersrule2
09-18-2013, 02:03 PM
I was disappointed there was no Canoes and the lack of Grappling Guards off from Horses! :(The real loss was frozen lakes, I almost cried when I ran onto the water when it was snowy only to find out it was water :(

ArabianFrost
09-18-2013, 02:06 PM
I was disappointed there was no Canoes and the lack of Grappling Guards off from Horses! :(

I don't know why, but I really want a just cause 2 or Batman-like grappling hook. Would do majors for navigation.

phoenix-force411
09-18-2013, 02:16 PM
I will tell you that canoeing was meant to be in the final release, but it was taken out for....reasons. And Connor assassinating the guy on the horse with his tomahawk was pretty cool, but in the end, only the hidden blade assassination on horse was kept which is disappointing.

adventurewomen
09-18-2013, 02:54 PM
The real loss was frozen lakes, I almost cried when I ran onto the water when it was snowy only to find out it was water :(
I agree, I wanted the frozen lakes too! :(

I don't know why, but I really want a just cause 2 or Batman-like grappling hook. Would do majors for navigation.
Agreed!

assassinating the guy on the horse with his tomahawk was pretty cool,
In the screen cap Connor wasn't throwing his Tomahawk, it was his grapple towards the guard.

http://i.imgur.com/7l1AXg8.jpg

pirate1802
09-18-2013, 03:09 PM
I think Gabe cleared it a few months before release that canoeing was being taken out?

Hans684
09-18-2013, 03:17 PM

Chain Blade or Chain Hook.

phoenix-force411
09-18-2013, 03:56 PM
I agree, I wanted the frozen lakes too! :(

Agreed!

In the screen cap Connor wasn't throwing his Tomahawk, it was his grapple towards the guard.

http://i.imgur.com/7l1AXg8.jpg

There are trailers where he's assassinating Pitcarin, I believe, by running on a small hill and attacking with his tomahawk....

roostersrule2
09-18-2013, 03:58 PM
I think Gabe cleared it a few months before release that canoeing was being taken out?He might of, I forgot about them, until people said they weren't in there.

But they took my frozen lakes and random events, they brought me up and threw me back down.

phoenix-force411
09-18-2013, 04:05 PM
He might of, I forgot about them, until people said they weren't in there.

But they took my frozen lakes and random events, they brought me up and threw me back down.

The removal of those aspects were very disappointing. They took more than they could add, They expressed that it would be ground breaking, but it was quite of a disappointing game to an extent. I was hoping that seasonal changes would be much more organic. Like it wouldn't change because of sequences but because of time.

roostersrule2
09-18-2013, 04:06 PM
The removal of those aspects were very disappointing. They took more than they could add, They expressed that it would be ground breaking, but it was quite of a disappointing game to an extent. I was hoping that seasonal changes would be much more organic. Like it wouldn't change because of sequences but because of time.Indeed, I thought the snow was going to be the greatest thing ever, but it was basically just a burden that looked nice.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-18-2013, 04:15 PM
I will tell you that canoeing was meant to be in the final release, but it was taken out for....reasons.
Did it or they simply lacked time to finish it for release? I can't really see any design reason to remove it

phoenix-force411
09-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Did it or they simply lacked time to finish it for release? I can't really see any design reason to remove it

Well, they did work on this story since Brotherhood, and this new engine needed more time than just a year to completely put a game on the AnvilNext. Where I think the canoeing features would've helped us more were on the mission where you have to catch the ferry ride, and traversing large body of waters within the Frontier.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-18-2013, 04:22 PM
and traversing large body of waters within the Frontier.
Which is why I'm sad they got cut. Many parts of the Frontier are great for traversal (like the top-left conrner of the map with very dense forest where you can just stay tree-running forever), but there are tons of rivers and big lakes that are really a chore to get through, especially with the horses not being able to get through most of them

SixKeys
09-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Isn't that scene in AC3?

Connor had a telescope, I don't think the horizon system was in though, as it was not open world, although at E3 they said we could sail all across the Eastern coast at our own will.

That's what I meant. They originally said AC3 was supposed to have freeroam sailing, a perfect opportunity to introduce the Horizon system. But they ended up removing the freeroam aspect, probably due to time constraints, so there was no point to keeping the spyglass mechanic either.

phoenix-force411
09-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Which is why I'm sad they got cut. Many parts of the Frontier are great for traversal (like the top-left conrner of the map with very dense forest where you can just stay tree-running forever), but there are tons of rivers and big lakes that are really a chore to get through, especially with the horses not being able to get through most of them

Horse were more annoying than helpful. Due to the AnvilNext allowing terrain interaction and animations, horses had trouble traversing and would most of the time get stuck due to the excessive amount of objects in the world. The horses within AC III DO NOT RUN AWAY when in open conflict, they just ram you constantly as if they think you're gonna get on. The Stamina system for the horses was a bad addition as well.

adventurewomen
09-18-2013, 05:03 PM
There are trailers where he's assassinating Pitcarin, I believe, by running on a small hill and attacking with his tomahawk....
Well thats not Connor throwing his Tomahawk then! :-/

I wanted throwing Tomahawks, but it never happened! :(

phoenix-force411
09-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Well thats not Connor throwing his Tomahawk then! :-/

I wanted throwing Tomahawks, but it never happened! :(

I thought we were able to throw those big ugly axes as well. Apparently, Connor does throw his Tomahawk in one of the trailers, but it's not a game trailer sadly.

Sushiglutton
09-18-2013, 08:24 PM
I think this is an issue in the entire industry with worse sinners than Ubi to be fair (Alien CM and Bioshock Infinite come to mind). I'm not that upset though tbh and I don't think it affected AC3's overall quality. I'm actually happy they cut the fetch quests. I would have liked the canoe, but no biggie. The vast majority of what they said would be in the game was, it just wasn't all that great sadly.

TheHumanTowel
09-18-2013, 08:48 PM
I think it's a good to be sceptical about promises made about the game especially after all of AC3's cut content. Inevitably things are going to be cut and removed during the process of development but it's a horrible thing in the video game industry that they just remove it and don't tell you even if they've previously marketed the feature. I went into AC3 expecting to see New York before the Great Fire. We were told we were going to see New York before and after the Great Fire, but it wasn't in the game. Neither were frozen lakes and all the other things that they mentioned but were cut. It's just dishonest.

Already we've seen Edward's health regenerating during combat in a demo when they previously said it would just regenerate outside of combat.

pacmanate
09-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Isn't that scene in AC3?

Yeah its a privateer mission

SixKeys
09-18-2013, 09:59 PM
I went into AC3 expecting to see New York before the Great Fire. We were told we were going to see New York before and after the Great Fire, but it wasn't in the game. Neither were frozen lakes and all the other things that they mentioned but were cut. It's just dishonest.

Not just before and after but during as well. I believe the multiplayer has traces of what could have been. One of the DLC maps you can buy features Charlestown in three modes: during a fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjTU70lel24), rain and daylight. The fire one looks really cool, it's probably what New York would have been had they not run into technical problems.

Farlander1991
09-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Not just before and after but during as well. I believe the multiplayer has traces of what could have been. One of the DLC maps you can buy features Charlestown in three modes: during a fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjTU70lel24), rain and daylight. The fire one looks really cool, it's probably what New York would have been had they not run into technical problems.

New York has cuts written all over it, sadly. And it's a shame, because I like the city itself more than Boston (which we're properly focused on for the duration of the game thanks to Haytham's and Connor's sections in it).

Cornik22
09-19-2013, 04:37 PM
They've been promoting and cutting/changing stuff since the very first AC. Anyone remembers the very first AC demo from X06?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUlSWpjmHf4

Or the carts full of fish where you could hide in AC2?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2povbcx.jpg

And they just keep doing it. You can't do this in-game, since you can't leave the helm without stopping the ship.

http://i44.tinypic.com/wl7pqb.jpg

Or the spanish guards. To the left how they used to look like, and to the right how they look now (and let's be honest, the original uniforms were way cooler)

http://i43.tinypic.com/2iscmfr.jpg

Farlander1991
09-19-2013, 04:42 PM
They've been promoting and cutting/changing stuff since the very first AC.

Every game does that, really. Game development is dynamic, things change all the time. There are even sites dedicated to figuring out what was cut/changed based on promotional material, like unseen64.net (though that's also about cancelled games and beta versions).

Or the spanish guards. To the left how they used to look like, and to the right how they look now (and let's be honest, the original uniforms were way cooler)

Is that a changed uniform or an additional uniform? Couldn't they both be there for different types/ranks of guards?

Cornik22
09-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Is that a changed uniform or an additional uniform? Couldn't they both be there for different types/ranks of guards?
Unfortunately, that's not the case. At some point in early June they changed the British uniform, and then in July they decided to change the Spanish uniform to look more like the one from the British forces, only with different colors (now yellow, instead of the historically accurate white). You can see the evolution in the promotional videos and pictures they've released. A pity, really :(

plentybeef
09-19-2013, 08:19 PM
If you wait a really long time the screen will go dark. And if you watch, after 15 minuets he sits down. I've seen him sitting on a windmill in upper NY. But I left the game on stand by for at least 30 minuets. I left to the store. And when I came back I was like woe he's sitting. I assumed this wasn't well known.

lothario-da-be
09-19-2013, 08:21 PM
They've been promoting and cutting/changing stuff since the very first AC. Anyone remembers the very first AC demo from X06?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUlSWpjmHf4

Or the carts full of fish where you could hide in AC2?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2povbcx.jpg

And they just keep doing it. You can't do this in-game, since you can't leave the helm without stopping the ship.

http://i44.tinypic.com/wl7pqb.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2iscmfr.jpg
First one looks the worst imo, and the 2nd one is the most badass, the yellow one looks a bit clown-ish.

SixKeys
09-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Woah, I've never seen that AC2 picture with the fish cart before. Where's it from?

Shame about the Spanish guard uniform changes. The white one looked much better.

thekyle0
09-20-2013, 02:24 AM
Aren't the white uniforms supposed to be French? From this time period I thought Spanish colors were gold, English red, and French white. I vaguely remember an interview mentioning the French were part of the game, but not as prevalent as a faction on the scale of the Spanish and the English.

mhg87
09-20-2013, 03:12 AM
Dear OP.

content in videogames gets cut out all the time.
Its not "breaking a promise"
It just happens.

Layytez
09-20-2013, 04:43 AM
I don't mind having things cut but I would like to know what has been cut BEFORE I buy the game.

roostersrule2
09-20-2013, 05:55 AM
I don't mind having things cut but I would like to know what has been cut BEFORE I buy the game.This.

Cornik22
09-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Woah, I've never seen that AC2 picture with the fish cart before. Where's it from?
AC2 Developer Diaries #2

Aren't the white uniforms supposed to be French? From this time period I thought Spanish colors were gold, English red, and French white. I vaguely remember an interview mentioning the French were part of the game, but not as prevalent as a faction on the scale of the Spanish and the English.
Nope, they were always supossed to be spanish, just look at the first trailers and promotional pics ;) Spain never used those colors in Cuba (although they did in other colonies). To be honest, I thought we would never see the french in this game just because they've never mentioned them, nor have we seen them in any promotional material. HOWEVER, look what I found today.

http://i44.tinypic.com/tajwb4.jpg

These guys in blue have to be french soldiers. Maybe there`re a couple of missions in Saint Domingue? Tortuga? Maybe you can actually go there in free roam? We'll see

pirate1802
09-20-2013, 05:30 PM
First one looks the worst imo, and the 2nd one is the most badass.

I think both are same?

LoyalACFan
09-20-2013, 07:17 PM
I think both are same?

That's what I thought.

lothario-da-be
09-21-2013, 12:33 PM
I think both are same?
I thought the 2nd one was a skinier version of the 1st one. But maybe they are the same yeah.

Cornik22
09-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Nope, they`re the same ;) Now, do you guys think that they will reveal the french as the third big enemy before the game comes out?

thekyle0
09-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Nope, they were always supossed to be spanish, just look at the first trailers and promotional pics ;) Spain never used those colors in Cuba (although they did in other colonies). To be honest, I thought we would never see the french in this game just because they've never mentioned them, nor have we seen them in any promotional material. HOWEVER, look what I found today.

I see, thank you for clarifying. I'll confess that I am purely a generalist when it comes to colonial history. I only know enough to say Europeans ruined modern society, which I'm sure they'll find very endearing. I was aware that the Spanish had white uniforms in the CGI trailer, but I hadn't put it beyond Ubisoft to just get it wrong. However, they definitely mentioned the French, in one obscure interview, which I won't bother trying to find. As I said, I remember them saying the French wouldn't be a full fledged faction in the game on the scale of the English and Spanish, so don't looking for their ships sailing in the open world. Their exposure will likely only be limited to one or two missions, possibly optional side missions, and they won't dominate the narrative by any means, or so I would guess.

Perk89
09-24-2013, 02:49 AM
I really hope the rope dart is back. The opportunities for it were limited but it was awesome.

roostersrule2
09-24-2013, 03:41 AM
I really hope the rope dart is back. The opportunities for it were limited but it was awesome.I think we have a rope-esque device as according to the achievements you can swing on trees with a rope, maybe it's the rope dart and this time it has more uses.

LoyalACFan
09-24-2013, 04:02 AM
I think we have a rope-esque device as according to the achievements you can swing on trees with a rope, maybe it's the rope dart and this time it has more uses.

I think the rope the achievements referred to was the one you swing down from the mast on, like in the E3 demo.

roostersrule2
09-24-2013, 04:22 AM
I think the rope the achievements referred to was the one you swing down from the mast on, like in the E3 demo.Oh yea, you're probably right, no big loss, the rope dart wasn't that great.

LoyalACFan
09-24-2013, 04:40 AM
Oh yea, you're probably right, no big loss, the rope dart wasn't that great.

But I think the rope dart is back too :p Just not expanded in its uses. You can see it on the weapon menu in that open world gameplay we got a few months ago.

@ 9:50 on the far left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkc4IoMb70

Now considering it hasn't been officially discussed, it may have been cut, so don't take my word for it.

roostersrule2
09-24-2013, 06:58 AM
I'd say it's in if it's there but Ubi have a habit of removing a lot of ****.

eifere
09-24-2013, 07:07 AM
I remember trying to call my horse in the Battle of Bunker Hill mission, trying to imitate the AC3 trailer. But no, I failed :p

Farlander1991
09-24-2013, 07:41 AM
I remember trying to call my horse in the Battle of Bunker Hill mission, trying to imitate the AC3 trailer. But no, I failed :p

You don't have to call your horse since it's already there from the beginning, you just have to find it and saddle it ;) :p

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2817/2013020900013.jpg

eifere
09-24-2013, 03:10 PM
You don't have to call your horse since it's already there from the beginning, you just have to find it and saddle it ;) :p

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2817/2013020900013.jpg

Haha ok I'll try that :p

blacklimoband
09-25-2013, 05:52 AM
But I think the rope dart is back too :p Just not expanded in its uses. You can see it on the weapon menu in that open world gameplay we got a few months ago.

@ 9:50 on the far left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkc4IoMb70

Now considering it hasn't been officially discussed, it may have been cut, so don't take my word for it.

I just noticed, the health bar is in a similar style to the original AC... sweet :) Hope they keep it that way

Jexx21
09-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Oh yea, you're probably right, no big loss, the rope dart wasn't that great.

What? The rope dart was the best new weapon in AC3, because from a gameplay viewpoint, it was the ONLY new weapon.

roostersrule2
09-25-2013, 06:21 AM
What? The rope dart was the best new weapon in AC3, because from a gameplay viewpoint, it was the ONLY new weapon.What about the bow?

The rope dart was okay, nothing special though it only had two moves, I preferred the animations of fighting barehanded.

Jexx21
09-25-2013, 06:23 AM
What about the bow? It was okay, nothing special it only had to moves, I preferred the animations of fighting barehanded.

Bow = throwing knives/crossbow

roostersrule2
09-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Bow = throwing knives/crossbowIn the same sense you could say the rope dart is a ranged weapon as well. The differences between the rope dart and bow could be compared to the differences between the throwing knives and poison darts.

Jexx21
09-25-2013, 06:30 AM
So you can attach ropes to your arrows and use them to pull people to you from distances away? Cool, how do you do that?

Seriously, the bow is the same thing as the crossbow. Usable as a melee(ish) weapon and all.

pirate1802
09-25-2013, 06:47 AM
So you can attach ropes to your arrows and use them to pull people to you from distances away? Cool, how do you do that?

Loved doing that in tomb raider. Come here son, mommy loves yo!

roostersrule2
09-25-2013, 06:49 AM

Seriously, the bow is the same thing as the crossbow. Usable as a melee(ish) weapon and all.No but you can injure people from afar.

Maybe but the rope dart wasn't that good, just because it was unique doesn't make it great.

Jexx21
09-25-2013, 06:50 AM
I thought the rope dart was an awesome addition. It would be a shame if they didn't keep it (or just replace it with a whip for a new character like how Aveline had the whip).

roostersrule2
09-25-2013, 06:56 AM
I thought the rope dart was an awesome addition. It would be a shame if they didn't keep it (or just replace it with a whip for a new character like how Aveline had the whip).It was okay but they could expand it more.

Templar_Az
09-25-2013, 10:09 AM
If they don't implement the feature where they let Edward sit on a roof I am going to be hugely disappointed; I mean, that is the sole reason for why I want to buy the game, so I can do that.

pirate1802
09-25-2013, 10:56 AM
If they don't implement the feature where they let Edward sit on a roof I am going to be hugely disappointed; I mean, that is the sole reason for why I want to buy the game, so I can do that.

You are buying the game only so that Edward can sit on a roof? bahahaha

pacmanate
09-25-2013, 01:17 PM

Sounds like a great investment of money. Ubisoft <3 you.

roostersrule2
09-25-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't think he's serious.

pacmanate
09-25-2013, 01:21 PM
I don't think he's serious.

We know.

I like how you are acting all formal now hahaha.

Anyway, back OT.

roostersrule2
09-25-2013, 01:24 PM
We know.

I like how you are acting all formal now hahaha.

Anyway, back OT.I have too hehe, anyway after AC3's super overhypinginess I don't think they'd screw up again, sure thing's will get cut they always do but TBH other then naval not much has been added, only a couple weapons and obviously the map.

MaceoniK
09-25-2013, 07:13 PM

you can use the rope dart to pull people towards you from a distance... @3:36 and @4:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZHS6ccangY

Assassin_M
09-25-2013, 07:20 PM
there are SOME things in the OP that get me laughing, BUT...understandably, there are things in AC III that should get some people to be on their guard...at least I know i'm on my guard >_>

ladyleonhart
09-25-2013, 08:10 PM
there are SOME things in the OP that get me laughing, BUT...understandably, there are things in AC III that should get some people to be on their guard...at least I know i'm on my guard >_>

You need to learn to live a little. ;) Seriously, what is the worst that can happen...? Also, there's actually no way of knowing until you try the finished product.

I don't believe they actually promise us anything. They want to give us the best experience and what they show us is what they hope to include in the final product. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, technical reasons and other issues, this doesn't always happen. Sacrifices have to be made, but I'm sure they try to give us what we're expecting and what we're hoping for.

Of course, they can't please everyone. :p

Assassin_M
09-25-2013, 09:22 PM
You need to learn to live a little. ;) Seriously, what is the worst that can happen...? Also, there's actually no way of knowing until you try the finished product.

I don't believe they actually promise us anything. They want to give us the best experience and what they show us is what they hope to include in the final product. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, technical reasons and other issues, this doesn't always happen. Sacrifices have to be made, but I'm sure they try to give us what we're expecting and what we're hoping for.

Of course, they can't please everyone. :p
Oh don't get me wrong, I completely understand WHY things were cut and i'm not calling them liars or anything...it's just that disappointment is a pretty terrible thing and I'm just trying to control my hype xD

ladyleonhart
09-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, I completely understand WHY things were cut and i'm not calling them liars or anything...it's just that disappointment is a pretty terrible thing and I'm just trying to control my hype xD

Lol, I'm not getting you wrong at all. :P Also, I'm not accusing you or assuming anything at all. It's understandable to want to be cautious, if you felt disappointed before. I was just saying that there are reasons behind any inconsistencies, which I know you are perfectly aware of. :) If you can overlook these then it's still possible to have an enjoyable experience overall. :)