PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my graduation project

Aphex_Tim
09-13-2013, 09:08 AM
First of all, I know this topic is pretty out of place on this forum but I need a little help here from you guys!

I've been following a game design study for the past four years and I just started working on my graduation project.
For this project, I also need to do a market research, which is something I just can't seem to get right and is also (already) due next monday.

In a nutshell: for this project, I'm creating a 2D sidescrolling game based on destruction. The game will feature a cartoony, kinda goofy art style, though will have a little more mature theme and dark humour. The story is about a regular boring guy who finds out about a new brand of beer and decides to try it out. Once he drinks the beer, he'll suddenly grow a massive beard and beer gut and develops a sudden lust for destruction. He'll go on a rampage through his hometown, forming a warparty along the way by having certain civilians drink the beer as well.
When playing the game, your ultimate goal is to level the entire town by beating up everything you see. You start out on your own, beating up hotdog stands and such and you'll eventually run into new recruits for your war party. Every new recruit has his own ability which allows you to break down different types of buildings.

Now, what I need your help with; I'd like to hear your opinions.
Do you have any experience with games and/or settings similar to this? What would you expect in a game like this?
What would you like to see in this game; or what would you rather have differently?
If you guys could give me your feedback on this, it would be much appreciated! I can use it in my presentation and won't have to kiss my graduation goodbye. :p

If anyone has other tips as well, like maybe some other forums where I could ask around or general tips about market research; again, any help would be much appreciated!

poptartz20
09-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Now, what I need your help with; I'd like to hear your opinions.
Do you have any experience with games and/or settings similar to this? What would you expect in a game like this?
What would you like to see in this game; or what would you rather have differently?
If you guys could give me your feedback on this, it would be much appreciated! I can use it in my presentation and won't have to kiss my graduation goodbye. :p

If anyone has other tips as well, like maybe some other forums where I could ask around or general tips about market research; again, any help would be much appreciated!

1. No! I have never seen a concept like this before! It's a different take on a "drinking" game. I would expect some great abilities if you are going to be able to level a town! and really fun animations!
2. I would like to see challenges, changes, and adaptations!

Here are my other General thoughts! Some in question form some not, just ramblings. :)

Are the people in the village/town trying to stop me from destroying everything? or are the buildings the actual challenge? Also I think it would be an awesome idea to add power ups! like you keep drinking beer or eating other things along the way like from the hot dog stand you beat up (or whatever you come up with) and you are able to unleash a deadly attack of some sort perhaps or level a building. Also it would be nice to have a difficulty setting or as you progress it gets harder of course, or the building get bigger and harder for you to take down! Also customization would be cool! just as something simple like color changes or being able to dye his beard another color! Also would you collect money? and you use the money to buy other things like weapons to help you take down things easier? or maybe a pack of beer to keep power levels or your health up. Another question when you get other people to join in on your rampage will you control them or will they be AI and will they be able to be upgraded as well?

Also one more thing I get why he gets a beer belly from drinking, but why a beard? Is it in the name of the actual beer itself? or is it just because beards are awesome? lol.

oh yeah and one last thing... I would love to see the beard turn into a fist and punch down a wall. Haha! PURE GOLD!

I really like your idea and concept Tim! you have a good start! I would love to play this game sometime! I hope this helped some! :D

Aphex_Tim
09-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks, this certainly helped! You have some good points in there that I could certainly add to the concept, allthough for this project I will probably still make a toned down version of the game so it can still be done in the limited time I have. When I'm done with this project I might just make a full game out of it and add a couple of your ideas as well, mainly the upgrade system. For now I can use your feedback for my presentation.

To answer a couple of your questions: In the demo level there will be civilians in the background who'll just stare in awe at your rampage. The only civilians that will try to stop you will be the ones you can recruit to your warparty. When you've added people to your party, you can switch characters with a press of a button. The other characters will simply follow the character you're currently controlling around. The beard is pretty much to add to the over-the-topness of the game. The beer brings the drinker's manliness back up. What better way to display that than with a giant beard and beer gut? :p

About the beard-fist thing, funny that you bring that up because I've done that once before in a group project about a year ago. The main character was a viking who could punch and grab stuff with his beard. I still have that beard punching animation somewhere, I'll try to find and upload it! :p