PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for future tournament events on this scale

Daefon
09-12-2013, 08:51 PM
First off, I would like to put out there that I did not play R2P myself. I have talked to multiple people that did, however and there was one thing that stood out: multiple people stopped going for it after they received too many losses due to bugs/disconnects. Hopefully, in time, the client will be a bit more stable, but this is still an online game. Disconnects can happen. That is a very unfortunate way to lose in a tournament as this way. So I have thought of a way to solve this.

First off, tournaments cannot be played as open games. Instead, a separate play mode will exist where you queue for tournament games (instead of duel, jp/swiss, practice or campaign). The option to play in this tournament mode will only be available if you signed up for it. The reason for the separate mode is mainly a technical one - more on that later - but it also has the advantage that tournament players will only face off against each other. Wins against random newbs don't help improve their score.

Second, and this is the big one, the game state is persisted on the server with every action executed. So the server stores cards in hand, order of cards in deck, what is on the field, damage, and so on and so on.This data could be removed when a game completes, or Ubisoft can decide to keep it to make interesting replays public. The important part is that when one of the players disconnects, the server keeps the state of the game and is able to resume the game from there on out.

To prevent abuse, any unresolved backed up game will still count as a loss for the player that disconnected.

To resume a game that was backed up, there is a separate option for the player who has disconnected one or multiple times from a game in the past. This needs to b a separate option from just playing tournament games as the queue time is bound to be longer as you may have to wait for a player to finish his current game. It's probably a good idea to just make this option not available if none of the players in any of the backed up games are online.

As soon as any opposing player chooses to play a tournament game, he will instead be joined in the restored game. Playing in a restored game has priority over playing a normal tournament game. It may be a good idea to add a message for that player and maybe even a quick replay of what happened in the previous game. Again, this implementation is done to prevent abuse. Since a disconnect counts as a loss by default for the disconnected player, the other player may try to avoid playing restored games. This way, he cannot dodge these games.

Ipwnfour
09-13-2013, 08:13 AM
The whole format should just be completely changed.