PDA

View Full Version : Running assassinations; yes or no?

SixKeys
09-10-2013, 12:37 AM
How do you feel about the running assassination technique that was introduced in AC3 (and is returning in AC4)? In previous games, running towards your target would alert them to your presence and possibly blow your cover, unless you were close enough. In AC3, you can run full speed towards your targets and they won't notice until they're dead. This seems especially strange to me considering how much more alert the enemies are otherwise in AC3. They can apparently "hear" a corpse slumping to the ground from 100 feet away with their backs turned, but can't hear a heavyset native man bounding his way to them with a good headstart.

Personally I didn't care for this mechanic in AC3. It felt unrealistic for the reasons mentioned above and it was also unreliable. It would work maybe 7 times out of 10. Many times Connor would run towards his victim and simply shove him out of the way instead of assassinating. We also saw this happen in the AC4 jungle demo at E3. AC4 touts itself as being more focused on stealth, but guards not reacting to running footsteps feels like a step back from the early games.

Do you think the running assassinations should stay or go? How do you think it affects the stealth aspect of the games?

Shahkulu101
09-10-2013, 12:48 AM
It's okay. Looks really cool but as you stated it just made the A.I look even worse. I would like it to stay but honestly can't think of any suggestions to tweak it.

Gi1t
09-10-2013, 12:57 AM
My very first assassination in AC1 was basically a running assassination. I sprinted out of an alleyway giving him no time to react. I felt like the rules for that type of kill felt right and the only thing I'd recommend for a special running assassination mechanic would be a method for, say, knocking out guards standing in the way and proceeding to finish the target not unlike Altair's takedown where he avoids the guard's sword, then hauls him to the ground using his belt and jumps off him to perform the final air assassination on the target.

But there needs to be some skill involved or else you're just pressing the win button. Maybe a takedown worked into the tackle function that can be linked with an ability to vault off a downed target and take out another one provided you're lined up with your targets properly (which wasn't too hard when I did it back in AC1.)

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 01:09 AM
I love running assassinations. I think the way they work is fine, as I don't think they're meant to be stealthy at all.

ladyleonhart
09-10-2013, 01:13 AM
I love running assassinations. I think the way they work is fine, as I don't think they're meant to be stealthy at all.

I agree with this, exactly. :)

LoyalACFan
09-10-2013, 01:25 AM
I guess it doesn't bother me that much, since you don't have to use it if you don't want to, and it does look cool. But it would look a lot better if the enemy turned around to investigate the sprinting footsteps a few seconds before they were killed.

I'm NOT a huge fan of double running assassinations, however. They were a bit over-the-top. I'll likely avoid using them in AC4.

AnthonyA85
09-10-2013, 01:56 AM
I liked them in AC3, and TBH, i wish they'd added them in ACB, since there are several times during that game where i'm chasing someone, and guards try to stop me (that mission where we have to chase down the tratious thief, and in AC2, during Bonfire of the Vanities where we have to chase that guy with the Apple while the mad monk gets roasted).

I certainly liked burring Connor's tomahawk in the skulls of random Red Coats as i ran past, just because I could :p

Megas_Doux
09-10-2013, 01:58 AM
I like it, I hope that feature stays,

adventurewomen
09-10-2013, 02:21 AM
Yes! Running Assassinations, love them always! :)

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 02:23 AM
The double running assassinations are pretty sick as well.

Sigv4rd
09-10-2013, 03:57 AM
I miss the way Previous Assassins lunged at the target... Something like this would be awesome:
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1818091/assassin-s-creed-altair-o.gif
Otherwise I have no problem with the way it's implemented...

BATISTABUS
09-10-2013, 05:02 AM
I don't like it, but I don't think it's unrealistic. I just prefer how the Hidden Blade worked in AC1.

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 05:04 AM
Uhh.. you can do a running assassinate with anything, so the hidden blade has little do to with it.

BATISTABUS
09-10-2013, 05:05 AM
Uhh.. you can do a running assassinate with anything, so the hidden blade has little do to with it.
Oh...sorry, I'm drunk and I thought this was about the hidden blade for some reason...I still don't like it either way haha.

Kagurra
09-10-2013, 05:39 AM
Running assassination is fine, I just miss the old hidden blade pounce. I think if you have the hidden blade out, he should do the pounce, and with any other weapon, the running kill. If you have that type of weapon out, you're probably in more of an aggressive situation and need haste, while the hidden blade is more stealthy. I dunno, maybe there's a way to have both the hidden blade pounce and the running kill.

I also don't like how in AC3 (hopefully fixed in AC4) you can't hidden blade assassinate and stand still at the same time. He always would walk forward as if you're walking forward yourself. Should only do this if you're moving the character yourself. If you stop pushing the forward movement button, he should do the still assassination. (not the same animation from the old games, but a new one that looks less silly.)

SixKeys
09-10-2013, 07:59 AM
I guess it doesn't bother me that much, since you don't have to use it if you don't want to, and it does look cool. But it would look a lot better if the enemy turned around to investigate the sprinting footsteps a few seconds before they were killed.

This seems like the best option to me. They can keep running assassinations in the game, but the enemy should still react to it somehow, even if it's just part of the kill animation.

Running assassination is fine, I just miss the old hidden blade pounce. I think if you have the hidden blade out, he should do the pounce, and with any other weapon, the running kill. If you have that type of weapon out, you're probably in more of an aggressive situation and need haste, while the hidden blade is more stealthy. I dunno, maybe there's a way to have both the hidden blade pounce and the running kill.

I also don't like how in AC3 (hopefully fixed in AC4) you can't hidden blade assassinate and stand still at the same time. He always would walk forward as if you're walking forward yourself. Should only do this if you're moving the character yourself. If you stop pushing the forward movement button, he should do the still assassination. (not the same animation from the old games, but a new one that looks less silly.)

I miss the pounce too. In the Ezio games it looked a bit silly (since you could do it in the middle of combat), but I loved how in AC1 the killcam would switch angles and focus on Alta´r for a moment when he did the pounce. It felt so badass.

I don't like the hidden blade kills in AC3 in general. Don't like the scissor-like sound effect as opposed to the classic "SHING!" and I don't like how casual it looks. Connor just walks up to someone, pokes them in the back and immediately moves on. I prefer the stealth kill animations from previous games where Alta´r or Ezio would clamp their hand on the guard's mouth and hold still for a while to make sure they're dead. It looks like they reused Connor's hidden blade animations for AC4 though.

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 08:02 AM
I thought the pounce looked silly. Whenever I see that AC1 trailer when I load up the game I just think "geeze.. that looks kinda stupid."

I liked the hidden blade animations in AC3 because they seemed less conspicuous to me (unless they were high profile ones, of course :P).

zhengyingli
09-10-2013, 12:27 PM
I have no problem with running assassinations in ACIII as long as the target is either unaware or running away. Hickey's assassination was the single scenario that didn't work for me as I was trying to score the optional objective of killing two guards along the way; I was stopped short every time unwillingly entering into combat mode instead of straight up killing the target. The running kills worked fine with Dead Chest Island, so I guess my main beef is with how the NPCs are set up within the mission design rather than the assassination, itself.

pacmanate
09-10-2013, 12:42 PM
I dont mind it but what I do not like is the standing still assassination animation. The new one sucks.

LightRey
09-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Eh, you could still run towards your enemies and assassinate them in previous AC games, you just lost all momentum. That's the only real difference. So yeah, it should stay.

Hans684
09-10-2013, 03:32 PM
They should take the 'Killing In Motion'(lethal & non-lethal) from Splinter Cell Blacklist. It's far smother and more on the move kill compared to AC3/4 where you loose a little momentum.

GunnarGunderson
09-10-2013, 04:29 PM
I really think they should bring back guards hearing footsteps, and not just when you run either. In a social stealth situation, no one thinks twice about hearing footsteps. Ideally (for me) there should be a way to "stalk" like in MGS3 where you creep across the ground rather slowly but completely silently and then you could save the loud running assassinations for the last guy (which in my opinion would be a lot more rewarding, like jumping down in front of the last thug in the Batman games)

LoyalACFan
09-10-2013, 04:49 PM
For those who want the pounce back, it was actually supposed to be in AC3 for a while. Look at the gameplay reveal when he's charging at John Pitcairn. He kills the first guy with the traditional pounce, but does a forward roll afterwards to keep his momentum. But for whatever reason, it was cut. If they just put this back in, with the option to sit still after killing him instead of rolling forward, everyone's happy.

Sushiglutton
09-10-2013, 05:04 PM
I think running assassination was a great addition. I'm no hardcore stealth gamer (but I really want a functional system) and to me cool/gameplay >> realism. I don't think the guards should ever be able to hear the assassin move. I think that's good for gameplay purposes and builds the assassin myth. However guards should hear and react to things like gunshots, breaking glass etc etc. I think running assassinations worked especially well with Connor's character and the way he fought. That was nicely done imo.

I hope they keep it and if anything keep building on the idea.

SixKeys
09-10-2013, 05:29 PM
I think running assassination was a great addition. I'm no hardcore stealth gamer (but I really want a functional system) and to me cool/gameplay >> realism. I don't think the guards should ever be able to hear the assassin move. I think that's good for gameplay purposes and builds the assassin myth.

That's just ridiculous. Are you saying we should be able to run around in circles behind a guard and not have it affect gameplay at all unless he turns his head? I get the coolness vs. realism factor, but there has to be some balance.

Sushiglutton
09-10-2013, 05:57 PM
That's just ridiculous. Are you saying we should be able to run around in circles behind a guard and not have it affect gameplay at all unless he turns his head? I get the coolness vs. realism factor, but there has to be some balance.

Yeah that's what I'm saying I suppose and I stand by it. I realize it's not realistic, but it's not that unrealistic either to me. It's the silent ninja myth basically. Makes the game faster and smoother if we can run freely behind enemies backs. What exactly an enemy can hear is never as clear as what he can see. The gameplay benefit of enemies not hearing moves is that the rules become clearer imo, preventing what feels like cheap fails.

The balance is that they can hear gunshgots ;)!

Kagurra
09-10-2013, 07:25 PM
For those who want the pounce back, it was actually supposed to be in AC3 for a while. Look at the gameplay reveal when he's charging at John Pitcairn. He kills the first guy with the traditional pounce, but does a forward roll afterwards to keep his momentum. But for whatever reason, it was cut. If they just put this back in, with the option to sit still after killing him instead of rolling forward, everyone's happy.

This.

pacmanate
09-10-2013, 07:27 PM

This would only be good if there was a sound system involved in AC.

xryanx28
09-10-2013, 07:37 PM
i thought the last option in the poll said it could use some twerking. my brains rotting away

GunnarGunderson
09-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Yeah that's what I'm saying I suppose and I stand by it. I realize it's not realistic, but it's not that unrealistic either to me. It's the silent ninja myth basically. Makes the game faster and smoother if we can run freely behind enemies backs. What exactly an enemy can hear is never as clear as what he can see. The gameplay benefit of enemies not hearing moves is that the rules become clearer imo, preventing what feels like cheap fails.

The balance is that they can hear gunshgots ;)!

So you'd rather the game make it seem like you're a silent ninja instead of the game giving you the tools and mechanics to become a silent ninja?

(And if they're going to make guards deaf to our footsteps, the least they could do is make our footsteps actually silent)

David2010549
09-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Third option for me. I think they should be tweaked in the same way all high profile assassinations from AC3 should: instead of alerting every enemy within a certain radius they should cause enemies within that radius to investigate. Unless they have a line of sight, of course. We already know the issue of sound simulation for player movements isn't changing in AC4, though I'd like to see them approach it differently in the future. It's a tough problem; I think the ideal would be a full on stealth mode where the character moves less quickly than a sprint while staying low to the ground, also allowing them to take cover behind low objects more easily. The problem is integrating this with the low profile/high profile movement paradigm.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-10-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't mind running assassinations...Chases however..cut that sh** out -_-

Ureh
09-10-2013, 08:51 PM
I think it's ok (didn't mean to vote for removing it). I like watching the animation sometimes but rarely use it in missions because I want to remain stealthy.

GunnarGunderson
09-10-2013, 09:31 PM
There needs to be an animation for failing a running assassinate instead of just shoving past the guy, something like the enemy grabbing you and throwing you to the side

LoyalACFan
09-10-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't mind running assassinations...Chases however..cut that sh** out -_-

You mean like Lee's chase?

Serrachio
09-10-2013, 11:43 PM
The only thing I don't like about the running assassinations is how they're all "run towards target, wedge sword/axe into shoulder blade, carry on."

There should at least be some different animations for each weapon category.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-11-2013, 12:09 AM
You mean like Lee's chase?

Yes...
The final chase was pretty epic..but it was soo annoying..i had to redo it like 40 times at least

LoyalACFan
09-11-2013, 12:14 AM
Yes...
The final chase was pretty epic..but it was soo annoying..i had to redo it like 40 times at least

Yeah, it was kind of confusing since that one jump you have to make takes you right through smoldering rubble.

I didn't think it was epic at all, TBH, but that's another story.

masterhope2013
09-11-2013, 12:16 AM
yeah its really good and it should stay but sometimes when i am playing assassins creed 3 on Xbox 360 it joints for A SECOND same with when you run and jump on flat ground you stop for a second and go again that really needs to be fixed but the running assassination is effective if there is guards blocking the path and there is no way around

STDlyMcStudpants
09-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Yeah, it was kind of confusing since that one jump you have to make takes you right through smoldering rubble.

I didn't think it was epic at all, TBH, but that's another story.

Lol I thought it was cool running through a burning ship but not until i want back to 100% sync it like 2 months after the game..
As i was playing the game though i agree..i liked nothing about it lol.
The hardest part to me was actually finding the right path to get to the ship..and then after that figuring out what youre supposed to climb or slide under since sliding wasn't highlighted in the game all but one time before this final chase..by time i got there i forgot i could do it..trying to climb a burning wall freaking out bc i didnt know what to do lol (first obstacle)
After that i got through the level by just closing my eyes and going for it haha

Templar_Az
09-11-2013, 12:28 AM
"This seems especially strange to me considering how much more alert the enemies are otherwise in AC3. They can apparently "hear" a corpse slumping to the ground from 100 feet away with their backs turned, but can't hear a heavyset native man bounding his way to them with a good headstar"

What does the fact that Connor is native have anything to do with sound? Its not like he yells some kind of red-indian chant when he goes into battle. The guy that made this thread is a racist.

adventurewomen
09-11-2013, 01:43 AM
What does the fact that Connor is native have anything to do with sound? Its not like he yells some kind of red-indian chant when he goes into battle. The guy that made this thread is a racist.
Why do you sound so ignorant, and think before you post next time. May it be ignorant bliss on your part but really learn about Native culture before you attempt to post as if you think you know when really you don't know.

Also your post has nothing to do with running assassinations, I assume that you're a troll.

Ureh
09-11-2013, 01:50 AM
There needs to be an animation for failing a running assassinate instead of just shoving past the guy, something like the enemy grabbing you and throwing you to the side

Maybe something identical to Ezio/Altair falling when they run into people.

shobhit7777777
09-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Running assassinations were, IMO, a great addition. They signified the predatory and wolf like nature of Connor. The "running" assassinations also translated to the moving assassinations...where, while walking...Connor would casually and covertly stab the guy, withdraw the blade and keep walking.

I do think that the running assassination should be tied into a system governing the aural sensitivity of the guards.

Splinter Cell Blacklist developers have done a fantastic job in nailing an AI system where accessibility is balanced with sophistication. Different suits have different effects on the AI's "ears"....and moving too fast behind NPCs leads to them turning around and investigating. Its a simple and elegant system.

I hope AC adopts the above
It would be really nice to be able to un-equip swords, pistols, armour to get a lighter outfit enabling you to do the running assassination.

Assassin's Creed is the ONLY Ubisoft franchise which is seriously lagging behind in terms of crafting a gameplay experience which puts player agency, creative gameplay and tactical choice on top.
Splinter Cell Blacklist (With Conviction), Farcry 2/3 etc. are embracing systemic gameplay, improving core systems and AC is...meh. ACIV does have my attention though...I feel they have crafted something fantastic.

Connorake.ton
09-11-2013, 03:59 PM
I like running assassinations. The more assassination techniques the better. As for the complains of missing our target, this happens very rarely to me. Also, unrealistic? Yeah, it's very unrealistic to stab someone while running, I bet it never happened in real world. :D

ladyleonhart
09-11-2013, 04:19 PM
I love running assassinations and I've never had any problem implementing them at all. ;) They look cool and a very good example of having to utilise them in ACIII was the Peg Leg Mission: 'Dead Chest Island'. I just loved it. xD I don't think they slow you down at all, and it's an interesting way to dispatch your enemy whilst in a hurry. Then, overall, I think they're great and would love more opportunities to use them. :D

poptartz20
09-11-2013, 04:46 PM
I personally love the running assassinations. First off they look awesome. Second they are realistic in a sense. I mean of course you hear somebody running once they get so close to you, but at the same time it's usually when they are right up on you, with only 1 or 2 seconds to react you're probably not gonna make it in this scenario. I used the running assassinations a lot! I just wish that there were a few more animations for them! I think there are only about 3?

So if anything was to change, and it really doesn't have to is that maybe the guards turn around just before they are killed or at least try to draw a weapon?

but TBH, they really should just keep it as is to avoid any bugs or future problems.

pacmanate
09-11-2013, 04:51 PM
If anything the thread title should be about the new standing animation. I find it so stupid.

Sigv4rd
09-11-2013, 05:18 PM
My compromise for the lung vs run argument would be That from the back/sides the assassin does a Connor style running assassination, and from the front a lung (possibly with momentum loss this way).

Ureh
09-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Maybe they can change it back so that guards on roofs and restricted areas will turn around if you run.

Templar_Az
09-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Why do you sound so ignorant, and think before you post next time. May it be ignorant bliss on your part but really learn about Native culture before you attempt to post as if you think you know when really you don't know.

Also your post has nothing to do with running assassinations, I assume that you're a troll.

How about you enlighten me as to what Native-sounds Connor made when he ran into battle or to assassinate?

Jexx21
09-11-2013, 09:51 PM
I think she's angry because she's partially native and you made assumptions about "native sounds."

adventurewomen
09-11-2013, 10:28 PM
I think she's angry because she's partially native and you made assumptions about "native sounds."
Exactly, this is the reason!

Gi1t
09-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Maybe they can change it back so that guards on roofs and restricted areas will turn around if you run.

yes, in a crowd, only a really paranoid target (like that guy on the ship in AC1) would turn around upon hearing someone running, but on restricted areas, they should definitely pay attention to things like that.