PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed IV Hands-On

Jexx21
09-09-2013, 10:04 PM
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/assassins-creed-iv-hands-on-ubisofts-juggernaut-heads-out-to-sea

I wonder out loud if naval combat was ever planned for multiplayer, which currently stands as an extension of the multiplayer introduced in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

"We did push for it and we had some early prototypes that were really fantastic," says Ismail. "After our first pass, we realized it was way bigger than what we could handle to ship it and have it be bug-free and polished. This is the first time that we're doing a naval open-world. In ACIII, it was side stuff, you could've ignored it. In our case, it's really core to the experience. So we want to see the reaction people have to it. If we see that people love it and want more, then we already have a base that we can start from."

"It's getting a bit technical, but even the mission system, having it function between two locations-- in previous ACs you have to be in the same world/city to do a mission. You don't know this as a player, but that was a technical problem. Now that we have multiple locations like Havana and Nassau, having the missions cross over these cities-- you can be in a naval fight that transitions right onto land because the guy is escaping from you. Huge technical challenge, but we pushed ourselves to do it. We knew the competition was going to be really tough. We needed to make our mark."

"The present day is the wrapper that justifies everything. It is important to the core of AC. The Animus technology justifies why we can go into the ancestry of different heroes," he adds. "In our game, to be honest with you, for the mandatory stuff you come back to the present around five times. Each time it's about five minutes. It's not that long, but there's tons of optional content that you can explore. Even Desmond as a character, he's no longer in the main story, but his presence is felt. For fans there's side content that shows what happened to Desmond after ACIII."

My demo comes to a sad end, with Edward defiantly getting an axe stuck in his chest after getting hit by a grenade. I put down the controller and ask Ismail if Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is showing a new way forward for the series. While Ezio got three games, ACIII's Connor only got a single title. We already know that Ubisoft Toronto is working on the next Assassin's Creed after Ubisoft Montreal's Black Flag. Can we expect to get a new assassin in each game?

"Not necessarily," says Ismail. "With Ezio, the objective was to tell the trilogy. The fans loved Ezio, so we wanted to give them more. We don't want to say that that's the only way we make games, that it's always a trilogy."

"When ACIII started, the goal wasn't to make a trilogy for Connor, it was actually to tell the Kenway family story. Having Haytham, Connor, and Edward. We started over two years ago - summer of 2011 - so it was a year before ACIII shipped and the goal was to tell Edward's story."

The goal is not to have family trilogies from now on either, as Ubisoft wants to always "have a surprise as to who the hero is" and how that hero or heroine connects to the larger conflict between the Assassins and the Templars.

"We always want it to be fresh and have a bit of fun with the narrative," Ismail says. "It's not true that we'll never have a sequel based on a character, but for this trilogy we wanted to tell a game with Connor and Haytham and tell a game with Edward. That was the goal from years ago."

"Personally, I love hub worlds," he tells me. "In our case, it's the Caribbean Sea, where you have these pockets of maps. They're a bit independent of each other. You have a coconut island, you have caves, you have a fort. They're not huge, so you can put them together fairly fast, play them, have fun with them, and iterate on them. If something is not working, with a small team of people you can rehash it without impacting the global world."

"If you have a massive city, you can't just can't just say, 'this little part is not working, let's completely redo it.' The streets have to connect, the buildings have to connect. I love the structure of having this meta world with pockets of maps in it. I think going forward, this is something that I would push other open world games to have. It's a fantastic way to do open world."

Jexx21
09-09-2013, 10:10 PM
"We always want it to be fresh and have a bit of fun with the narrative," Ismail says. "It's not true that we'll never have a sequel based on a character, but for this trilogy we wanted to tell a game with Connor and Haytham and tell a game with Edward. That was the goal from years ago."

A trilogy with a game with Connor and Haytham and then a game with Edward.

Soo.. what's the third game in this trilogy? :P

​Connor, I say!

Farlander1991
09-09-2013, 10:42 PM

​Connor, I say!

Didn't Darby reference Forsaken as part of the 'Kenway trilogy'? So, essentially, AC3 for Connor, Forsaken for Haytham and AC4 for Edward.

Farlander1991
09-09-2013, 10:48 PM
"It's getting a bit technical, but even the mission system, having it function between two locations-- in previous ACs you have to be in the same world/city to do a mission. You don't know this as a player, but that was a technical problem. Now that we have multiple locations like Havana and Nassau, having the missions cross over these cities-- you can be in a naval fight that transitions right onto land because the guy is escaping from you. Huge technical challenge, but we pushed ourselves to do it. We knew the competition was going to be really tough. We needed to make our mark."

I hope all the people who say "how hard can adding this little feature be?" will ready this quote. A lot of things that may seem simple or ordinary can be really tricky.

Assassin_M
09-09-2013, 10:50 PM
I hope all the people who say "how hard can adding this little feature be?" will ready this quote. A lot of things that may seem simple or ordinary can be really tricky.

People say it's nothing, because they don't know the details, but hey that's what people do, though I'd love to know how they bypassed this challenge...it's also amazing how they chose to go with seamlessness.

x___Luffy___x
09-09-2013, 11:00 PM
so do they consider forsaken as the part of the trilogy or did they just announced the next game on the kenways ?

Jexx21
09-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Didn't Darby reference Forsaken as part of the 'Kenway trilogy'? So, essentially, AC3 for Connor, Forsaken for Haytham and AC4 for Edward.
Not as far as I know. What he did say was that AC3 and AC4 were part of the "Kenway saga" and something like "so the kenway saga are these two games."

Either way, they aren't officially saying anything with either Darby's or Ash's quotes, as far as I see it, it can go either way.

ladyleonhart
09-09-2013, 11:14 PM

​Connor, I say!

Definitely! ;)

ze_topazio
09-09-2013, 11:23 PM
The third game will be about Joseph Kenway, Connor's son in England.

Jexx21
09-09-2013, 11:25 PM
since Connor never adopted the name Kenway, I doubt that he'll give his son the surname Kenway.

adventurewomen
09-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Please Ubi, give us another Connor game!

-----------------------------------

The third game will be about Joseph Kenway, Connor's son in England.
Presumptive.

Assassin_M
09-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Presumptive, too much.

Okay, it'll have nothing to do with Connor then:p

adventurewomen
09-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Okay, it'll have nothing to do with Connor then:p
Nnnnnnooooooooo, my heart weeps. :'(

ze_topazio
09-09-2013, 11:30 PM
since Connor never adopted the name Kenway, I doubt that he'll give his son the surname Kenway.

Joseph Davenport then.

Jexx21
09-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Pretty sure Connor never adopted a surname.

Maybe he adopts his wife's surname. I could see Connor doing that. It would end the "Kenway" saga as well.

ze_topazio
09-09-2013, 11:51 PM
^Stop being so complicated. :mad:

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 12:00 AM
..why are you angry?

I-Like-Pie45
09-10-2013, 12:08 AM
the kenway saga should be all about revolutionary (pun intended) protagonists

Connor - first Native hero
Haytham - first Templar hero
Edward - first pirate and blonde hero
The Final Kenway - first female hero?

LoyalACFan
09-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Pretty sure Connor never adopted a surname.

Maybe he adopts his wife's surname. I could see Connor doing that. It would end the "Kenway" saga as well.

Since he never adopted the name Kenway, then he's technically no more of a Kenway than his kids would be. Meaning the Kenway Saga ended with Haytham, and ACV will be about Edward's father :eek:

I can see it now; Peasant's Creed, complete with a full-blown harvesting loop and plowing minigames. Not to mention dual-wielding pitchforks.

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Nah, he would still be the man who ends the Kenway name, either by not adopting the name or taking his wife's surname. :P

But no, judging that they left his story incomplete, and yet completed the stories of Edward and Haytham, I heavily doubt that they wouldn't continue his story. I expect at the very least a novel/graphic novel for him.

LoyalACFan
09-10-2013, 01:30 AM
Nah, he would still be the man who ends the Kenway name, either by not adopting the name or taking his wife's surname. :P

But no, judging that they left his story incomplete, and yet completed the stories of Edward and Haytham, I heavily doubt that they wouldn't continue his story. I expect at the very least a novel/graphic novel for him.

I don't know, man, I'm still really hoping for a game. I've always viewed the novels/tie-ins/comics as ancillary material... IMO the important stuff should be contained within the games, and only the games. Especially if it's in the same story arc. I was annoyed that so much important stuff between Haytham and Connor was relegated to Forsaken.

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 01:35 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping for the next game to be a Connor game. Hell I expect it to be. But I know that not everything happens as expected.

I-Like-Pie45
09-10-2013, 04:29 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping for the next game to be a Connor game. Hell I expect it to be. But I know that not everything happens as expected.

Do you have a whole headcanon timeline worked out and stuff

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 04:37 AM
I only head-canon certain things, I don't do future events.

I-Like-Pie45
09-10-2013, 04:48 AM
You should, just in case Connor gets tossed out of the window like the sun your son thing

When Edward's gone they'll just find another assassin. They have to justify their wages. And who says it will be Connor? His time has passed, Jexx. And, do you know why? It is because headcanon is born of a REALIZATION. We require no games! No yearly releases by greedy, French men. All we need is that the canon be as we see it as it is. And THIS is why the bad fanfiction will never be destroyed!

After all, nothing is true and everything is permitted. There are worlds other than these. And war, war never changes. Assassins do, through the roads they walk. And after all Connor's been through, it can't be for nothing.

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 05:03 AM
Uhh... your last line.

Assassin's Creed, Fallout, ..Bioshock Infinite? what other games does that reference

I'll create a head canon if the next AC or the one after that isn't a Connor game.

Sushiglutton
09-10-2013, 05:16 PM

​Connor, I say!

Haytham in London I say! We need to make a sig bet on this soon ;)!

pirate1802
09-10-2013, 05:28 PM

Make sure the losing punishment is a pole dancing Haytham! :eek:

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Haytham in London... doing what exactly? Being trained by Birch? That aint a game.

Shahkulu101
09-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Why so cereal all the time Jexxy?

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Because that's how you get stuff done.

inferno33222
09-10-2013, 10:26 PM

​Connor, I say!

I would love a game as Haytham set in London around the year 1745.

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 10:31 PM
I would love a game as Haytham set in London around the year 1745.

Haytham was officially inducted into the Templar order in 1744, and his first target was a greedy merchant in Liverpool. His next known actions were in Spain, in 1747, where he assassinated a Templar traitor, Juan Vedomir. He made a brief return to London to interrogate his housemaid and then he went off to southwest Germany.

Honestly, as far as we know, Haytham did little of interest in London. Haytham's story was told in Forsaken, and we probably aren't going to play an entire game as a Templar, so I see a Haytham game as being very unlikely.

ze_topazio
09-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Haytham was officially inducted into the Templar order in 1744, and his first target was a greedy merchant in Liverpool. His next known actions were in Spain, in 1747, where he assassinated a Templar traitor, Juan Vedomir. He made a brief return to London to interrogate his housemaid and then he went off to southwest Germany.

Honestly, as far as we know, Haytham did little of interest in London. Haytham's story was told in Forsaken, and we probably aren't going to play an entire game as a Templar, so I see a Haytham game as being very unlikely.

I would like to visit all those places.

Jexx21
09-10-2013, 10:41 PM
That would be a linear AC game then.

which I'm not opposed to by the way, but it should be a "spin-off" game.

LoyalACFan
09-11-2013, 12:12 AM
That would be a linear AC game then.

which I'm not opposed to by the way, but it should be a "spin-off" game.

Perhaps the next Vita title? From what I've seen of Liberations (;)) on YouTube, it didn't really benefit all that much from being an open-world game. Perhaps they could make it linear, and thenceforward, the Vita will be the console of choice for AC characters with weird hats.

Jexx21
09-11-2013, 12:39 AM
well I'm selling my Vita so I wouldn't buy it.

silvermercy
09-11-2013, 01:08 AM
the kenway saga should be all about revolutionary (pun intended) protagonists

Connor - first Native hero
Haytham - first Templar hero
Edward - first pirate and blonde hero
The Final Kenway - first female hero?
Hmmm... Doubt that - at least for now- since with Liberation HD they're advertising Aveline as the first female assassin. So this slot is covered - for now.

Maybe first red-haired hero? :p

adventurewomen
09-11-2013, 01:27 AM
@Sliver: I missed you! Where did you go? :( *hugs*

silvermercy
09-11-2013, 01:29 AM
@Sliver: I missed you! Where did you go? :( *hugs*

haha! I am still here! I've just started a new busy schedule at work!! ^^

adventurewomen
09-11-2013, 01:33 AM
haha! I am still here! I've just started a new busy schedule at work!! ^^
I understand. :)

I want this dubbed "Kenway Trilogy" end with Connor, that obvious but for the sake of getting back to topic. :)

poptartz20
09-11-2013, 03:14 AM
I want this dubbed "Kenway Trilogy" end with Connor, that obvious but for the sake of getting back to topic. :)

I would love for it to end with Connor as well, but I don't want to get my hopes up! I just want his story at this point to have an ending... or a very happy medium. where maybe everything isn't answered but as players we are left very satisfied! :D -- I say this because if Forsaken is really considered apart of the Trilogy then, things seem a little bleak for our guy!

I-Like-Pie45
09-11-2013, 05:01 AM
I think it would be better for the Kenway Saga to end with Connor's child, be it girl (preferably) or boy.

We can see an older, no-longer naive Connor fully come to terms with his actions and their consequences training his child who becomes the Kenway that finally succeeds in (temporarily) uniting Assassin and Templar ideology

I had an idea for a sequel like this one but I don't feel like posting it

Jexx21
09-11-2013, 05:11 AM
I would rather have Connor be the one that unites Templar and Assassin ideology temporarily. We'll have Edward, the man who struggled with the ideologies and ultimately chose the Assassins, Haytham, the man who also struggled with the ideologies and ultimately chose the Templars, and Connor, the man who will strongly side with the Assassins and then see the points in both ideologies and unites them.

pirate1802
09-11-2013, 05:32 AM
I think it would be better for the Kenway Saga to end with Connor's child, be it girl (preferably) or boy.

We can see an older, no-longer naive Connor fully come to terms with his actions and their consequences training his child who becomes the Kenway that finally succeeds in (temporarily) uniting Assassin and Templar ideology

Yes this!

roostersrule2
09-11-2013, 09:49 AM
I want to leave the 1700's.

deskp
09-11-2013, 11:43 AM
I dont want anymore connor games, I want the next game to be furtehr away from current games from a timepiriod sense.

Connor would make SOME sense if he went to britain or france, but it would just be another stranger in a strange land story, similar to AC3. so NO thank you. The joy of AC game is new lands/times/assassins, so if they do france I would like a french assassin.

AlphaAltair
09-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Coming from a guy who tells fans to have "patients", I'd say this is yet another case of Ashraf's loose control of language. When he says trilogy I'd wager he means the three characters of Edward, Haytham and Connor. I cant believe this thread has devolved to four pages of gushing fandom. Oh, wait, that's most of the forum nowadays. Oh for the olden times :)

ladyleonhart
09-11-2013, 02:37 PM
I would rather have Connor be the one that unites Templar and Assassin ideology temporarily. We'll have Edward, the man who struggled with the ideologies and ultimately chose the Assassins, Haytham, the man who also struggled with the ideologies and ultimately chose the Templars, and Connor, the man who will strongly side with the Assassins and then see the points in both ideologies and unites them.

I love this idea. :D Sounds perfect to me. ;)

lothario-da-be
09-11-2013, 02:40 PM
That would be the best ac story if done well!

lothario-da-be
09-11-2013, 02:41 PM
I dont want anymore connor games, I want the next game to be furtehr away from current games from a timepiriod sense.

Connor would make SOME sense if he went to britain or france, but it would just be another stranger in a strange land story, similar to AC3. so NO thank you. The joy of AC game is new lands/times/assassins, so if they do france I would like a french assassin.
AWESOME signature!

Jexx21
09-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Coming from a guy who tells fans to have "patients", I'd say this is yet another case of Ashraf's loose control of language. When he says trilogy I'd wager he means the three characters of Edward, Haytham and Connor. I cant believe this thread has devolved to four pages of gushing fandom. Oh, wait, that's most of the forum nowadays. Oh for the olden times :)

Well, articles supposedly quoting the person their interviewing with have misquoted them before by adding in certain words or things that shouldn't be there, so I'm not saying that's not possible.

I'm just saying, they're gonna finish Connor's story one way or another, that's for certain.

luckyto
09-11-2013, 05:22 PM

^ This.

Jexx, good article.

Jexx21
09-11-2013, 05:42 PM
there would be nothing to do in London as Haytham though -_-

thanks?

Mr_Shade
09-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Lets not turn this thread into another VS thread with Connor please...

Ureh
09-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Whoooooaaaa, he just said that there's an axe stuck in Edward's chest after he got hit by a grenade. Sorry, Ezio, but looks like Ed one-upped you on the nearly-getting-killed-and-surviving thingy. But don't worry I hear he gets murdered in the end.

Jexx21
09-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Whoooooaaaa, he just said that there's an axe stuck in Edward's chest after he got hit by a grenade. Sorry, Ezio, but looks like Ed one-upped you on the nearly-getting-killed-and-surviving thingy. But don't worry I hear he gets murdered in the end.

That was in gameplay.. and that was supposed to mean he got killed. :P

Also, Connor was shot three times and stabbed in the chest and he didn't die. :P

Ureh
09-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Oh so there are death animations for the player character? Sweeeeet! Finally a reason to desync.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-11-2013, 09:23 PM
and Connor, the man who will strongly side with the Assassins and then see the points in both ideologies and unites them.I don't see it tbh. Templar idelology is at the core simply incompatible with Ratonhnhaké:ton's beliefs, regardless if the colonial Templars weren't as cartoony evil as Renaissance ones