PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Worried about the "Assassin's" in AC4?

Ancient Attero
09-02-2013, 07:47 PM
I am really looking forward to AC4 and nothing can change that. From what I've seen so far of the gameplay changes, characters, and naval enhancements its turning out to be another great game.

BUT...

One thing that has me worried is the actual "Assassins" part to Assassins Creed 4. Right now it may as well just be called Black Flag as there has been little to no mention of how the Creed will be represented in this game. Yes we know there is a point in the game that they come into play, obviously how else would Kenway get his traditional white hood. But there is a lot of emphasis on the pirate elements of the game, period characters, and so on with little to go on with the Assassins.

Is there more information that I may be missing? Is this suppose to be a grand secret until the game launches? Or is there so little information because the Assassins role has been sidelined?

Assassin_M
09-02-2013, 07:51 PM
It has been confirmed that Assassins are no longer the focus of the game. this is a pirate`s Creed game and the publishers mistakenly gave it the name Assassins, because that`s how it was for 5 years, so he didn't expect for the name to change, it was routine, but there is no Creed and no Assassins..it`s a pirate game for pirates by Pirates living by the Pirate`s Creed..there`s no stealth, no hidden blade, no eagle beaked hood and no scar...

ladyleonhart
09-02-2013, 07:52 PM
I think ACIV is going to be an amazing game. :D

As for the Creed, Edward is supposed to be trained by the Assassins. Then, I don't think you should be worried at all. Also, wouldn't you like to have some surprises...? Then... being on these forums, I actually feel like I've already played it. -__-

Jexx21
09-02-2013, 07:55 PM
M's our local AC4 hater, just ignore him.

Edward is supposed to learn about the Creed in this game and be taught it, but he'll struggle between choosing the Templars or the Assassins. I think the Creed will be more present than it was in AC3.

Ancient Attero
09-02-2013, 07:57 PM
It has been confirmed that Assassins are no longer the focus of the game. this is a pirate`s Creed game and the publishers mistakenly gave it the name Assassins, because that`s how it was for 5 years, so he didn't expect for the name to change, it was routine, but there is no Creed and no Assassins..it`s a pirate game for pirates by Pirates living by the Pirate`s Creed..there`s no stealth, no hidden blade, no eagle beaked hood and no scar...

Did I ever miss your blatant sarcasm M. Not my point though as WE KNOW that at some point that he is introduced to the Assassins Order. My concern is that the Creed will be downplayed like it was in AC3. Don't get me wrong though, that was a amazing game. Just felt that the Creed was downplayed with Connor because of the Revolutionary War, and the lack of a living breathing Creed in America at the time.

And yeah, i'd like a lot of suprises which is why I've been staying away from forums and most videos. Just getting worried that the Creed may be downplayed again.

silvermercy
09-02-2013, 07:58 PM
I don't think it's possible for a serialized game to stay fresh without diverging from the original...
I think it was mentioned on Twitter that the Black Flag subtitle was added to emphasize the pirate theme.

To be honest, I would find it boring if every game was about "assassins this, assassins that". I like the variety in themes.

adventurewomen
09-02-2013, 08:00 PM
No I'm not worried about the Assassins in AC4, I can't judge the game I have yet to play. I think Ima love AC4 anyway!

silvermercy
09-02-2013, 08:00 PM
No I'm not worried about the Assassins in AC4, I can't judge the game I have yet to play. I think Ima love AC4 anyway!
Quoted again for truth! ^_^

Jexx21
09-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Well, seeing as in AC4 we're dealing with the Assassin order as a recruit to it, and not even a fully initiated Assassin, we're probably gonna be taught the Creed. The reason why the Creed wasn't a large presence in AC3 (and it wasn't "down-played," it just wasn't really there) is because the Assassins in the colonies were dead. Achilles was a broken man, and probably didn't truly believe in the Creed anymore. Connor isn't a true Assassin until the end of the game anyway.

LoyalACFan
09-02-2013, 08:06 PM

Edward is supposed to learn about the Creed in this game and be taught it, but he'll struggle between choosing the Templars or the Assassins. I think the Creed will be more present than it was in AC3.

Yup. This. The Creed can't be any more marginalized than it was in AC3, and since Edward's going to be bouncing back and forth between Templars and Assassins, I can only imagine we as an audience will be more exposed to their ideologies.

ze_topazio
09-02-2013, 08:09 PM
I don't remember the "creed" ever being the focus of the marketing campaign for any of the previous games.

lothario-da-be
09-02-2013, 08:25 PM
There better be some Assassins in this game, and creed. Or i'll think about quitting this series.

ladyleonhart
09-02-2013, 08:26 PM
There better be some Assassins in this game, and creed. Or i'll think about quitting this series.

Of course there will. Why is everyone so worried...? -_-

lothario-da-be
09-02-2013, 08:28 PM
AC3, and the pirate theme.

Jexx21
09-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Everything points to this game having the Creed be the most present in the game out of all the AC games.

Even AC1 didn't feature the Creed as a whole, it focused mainly on it's three tenets.

As for the Assassin group themselves, it appears like they'll be the most present since AC1.

adventurewomen
09-02-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't remember the "creed" ever being the focus of the marketing campaign for any of the previous games.
CREED in the title, sells the game as Assassins Creed - it's the whole point.

FrankieSatt
09-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Well damn, and here I thought I held that prestigious title. :p

I agree with M. I see very little so far about the Creed in what we have been shown. If the focus was on the Creed and the Templars, like in the other AC games, than we would have seen it and heard about it. So far 95% of what we have seen and heard is about Pirates and the "Second Main Character of the game" our Pirate Ship.

LoyalACFan
09-02-2013, 08:34 PM

Because there was NO Creed in AC3 and only one other Assassin. Not counting the recruits, since they never showed up again after becoming Assassins except for those random conversations in the taverns. It was forgivable for one game, since the plot told us that they had been wiped out, but they need to reappear in AC4 in a BIG way.

Jexx21
there were no Assassins in AC3 :P

Farlander1991
I find it strange that AC3 is considered to be the AC game where the Creed is the most downplayed, just because it's not mentioned in it.

Whereas the game where it's actually downplayed the most is ACB.
So what if the words of the Creed are said there a bunch of times? (mostly due to Assassin recruit initiation ceremonies) It DOESN'T matter there. It's not explored in any shape or form. Nobody gets a better or worse understanding of the Creed there. Nobody's understanding of the Creed changes. Nobody questions the value of the Creed. It doesn't at any shape or form change anybody's viewpoint of the world. NOTHING.

And yet for some reason, AC3, the game which explores what can happen when Assassin ideals are followed by an absolute and, well, idealistic manner (among other things), is considered to be the one that marginalizes the Creed... O_o

adventurewomen
09-02-2013, 08:38 PM
True dat.

lothario-da-be
09-02-2013, 08:39 PM
You forgot about Stéphane.

LoyalACFan
09-02-2013, 08:40 PM
I find it strange that AC3 is considered to be the AC game where the Creed is the most downplayed, just because it's not mentioned in it.

So what if the words of the Creed are said there a bunch of times? (mostly due to Assassin recruit initiation ceremonies) It DOESN'T matter there. It's not explored in any shape or form. Nobody gets a better or worse understanding of the Creed there. Nobody's understanding of the Creed changes. Nobody questions the value of the Creed. It doesn't at any shape or form change anybody's viewpoint of the world. NOTHING.

And yet for some reason, AC3, the game which explores what can happen when Assassin ideals are followed by an absolute and, well, idealistic manner (among other things), is considered to be the one that marginalizes the Creed... O_o

Because Connor's agenda was based on his own personal experiences and his desire for universal freedom. The Creed had absolutely nothing to do with it. Hell, Achilles spent the entire game telling him his quest was pointless and doomed. I'm not saying Connor was a "bad" Assassin, just that his actions were NEVER inspired by the Creed. Nor am I sticking up for ACB, that game was by far the worst AC.

ladyleonhart
AC3, and the pirate theme.

There was no proper Creed in ACIII, because they had been hunted down by the Templars. Thus, at the end of ACIII, reviving the Creed seems to be Connor's responsibility. Well, that's what I took from it.

As for the pirate theme, it is an addition to AC just for this game. It is NOT going to become "Pirate's Creed". Also, I don't think Edward, as a child, thought: "You know what I want to be a pirate when I grow up." Then, I haven't read Forsaken because I want to enjoy ACIV without knowing everything, but I'm sure there's more to why he becomes a pirate. I'm sure it's something to do with the end of the war and everyone is disbanded, which is probably part of the reason why he became a pirate. That is, there wasn't much work for anyone at that point. Then, eventually, they'll show us how he became an Assassin.

Besides, if a banker can become an Assassin why can't a pirate?

Jexx21
Well damn, and here I thought I held that prestigious title. :p

I agree with M. I see very little so far about the Creed in what we have been shown. If the focus was on the Creed and the Templars, like in the other AC games, than we would have seen it and heard about it. So far 95% of what we have seen and heard is about Pirates and the "Second Main Character of the game" our Pirate Ship.

some quick paraphrased remarks I've heard from Ashraf and Darby, as well as things from other sources (there are small story spoilers below, mostly just names of Templars):

- at this point, Edward was met the Assassins but isn't completely bought into the Creed
- Assassin mentor is Mayan
- we see the grandmaster Templar in the gamescom demo
- Edward struggles with siding with the Templars or the Assassins
- Woodes Rogers and Benjamin Hornigold are Templars
- four Assassin hideouts in the game
- CGI trailer featured a templar captain that we steal a weird cube from

LoyalACFan
09-02-2013, 08:41 PM
You forgot about Stéphane.

Yeah, the crazed Canadian who wantonly murdered every Redcoat in town because somebody stole his footlocker. What a great Assassin he was.

Assassin_M
09-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Did I ever miss your blatant sarcasm M. Not my point though as WE KNOW that at some point that he is introduced to the Assassins Order. My concern is that the Creed will be downplayed like it was in AC3. Don't get me wrong though, that was a amazing game. Just felt that the Creed was downplayed with Connor because of the Revolutionary War, and the lack of a living breathing Creed in America at the time.

And yeah, i'd like a lot of suprises which is why I've been staying away from forums and most videos. Just getting worried that the Creed may be downplayed again.
I wasn't poking fun at you, just some others who call this Pirate`s Creed:p

Jexx21
09-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Because Connor's agenda was based on his own personal experiences and his desire for universal freedom. The Creed had absolutely nothing to do with it. Hell, Achilles spent the entire game telling him his quest was pointless and doomed. I'm not saying Connor was a "bad" Assassin, just that his actions were NEVER inspired by the Creed. Nor am I sticking up for ACB, that game was by far the worst AC.

Pretty sure that Achilles encouraged Connor to work with the patriots and to kill the Templars. He simply warned Connor to be careful and not to be too hasty, and that if he was that he could "destroy the world" in his "quest to save the world."

ladyleonhart
09-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Because there was NO Creed in AC3 and only one other Assassin. Not counting the recruits, since they never showed up again after becoming Assassins except for those random conversations in the taverns. It was forgivable for one game, since the plot told us that they had been wiped out, but they need to reappear in AC4 in a BIG way.

I know that. Just because it was like that in ACIII doesn't mean they'll be NO Creed in ACIV. The Assassin's who train Edward have to come from somewhere.

Or maybe that is the link between ACIV and ACIII. Then perhaps the Creed was strong in ACIV to begin with, but something terrible happens and the Templars end up using it to their advantage and start hunting them all down. Thus, no Creed in ACIII.

Lol, that's just what came into my head right now. :P I have no idea what's going to happen, but that's why I can't wait for ACIV to see how it all plays out. :)

STDlyMcStudpants
09-02-2013, 08:47 PM
im not worried at all about the assassins part..i mean in AC 3 it was almost non existent too
I am however worried about it being 40% sea
I mean if the game is 40 hours...16 of those hours will be on the sea 24 on land =/
THAT to me sucks especially when we've been getting 30 on land easy... :(

PS a Creed is a system...not a group of people living on top of a mountain lol
Systems can't be seen...they are just there

LoyalACFan
09-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Pretty sure that Achilles encouraged Connor to work with the patriots and to kill the Templars. He simply warned Connor to be careful and not to be too hasty, and that if he was that he could "destroy the world" in his "quest to save the world."

Kill the Templars, yes. Work with the Patriots, no. A "fool's errand" that would "end tragically", he called it. Even though he had some Patriot contacts that let Connor get close to Johnson and Pitcairn.

Farlander1991
09-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Well, the only game whose character was initially inspired by the Creed was Altair in AC1, and even then, with a horrible misunderstanding of it.
And Ezio in ACII wasn't inspired by the Creed, arguably even at the end of the game. It was more like adopting the Creed to his personal experiences through life and what he went through, rather than actually being inspired by it (not to mention that his initial goal was pure revenge).

ladyleonhart
09-02-2013, 08:50 PM
im not worried at all about the assassins part..i mean in AC 3 it was almost non existent too
I am however worried about it being 40% sea
I mean if the game is 40 hours...16 of those hours will be on the sea 24 on land =/
THAT to me sucks especially when we've been getting 30 on land easy... :(

You forgot underwater. xD That looks great to me! ;) I really couldn't care less about harpooning sharks, and it seems quite tedious. Then, I hope we can fight them underwater instead. :)

STDlyMcStudpants
09-02-2013, 08:54 PM
You forgot underwater. xD That looks great to me! ;) I really couldn't care less about harpooning sharks, and it seems quite tedious. Then, I hope we can fight them underwater instead. :)
Remember in AC 3 where you go to the ship in the polar caps? I'm pretty sure thats what uderwater will be like
You have a limited time to loot an area for its treasure
I dont think we will be fighting any animals under water lol

Jexx21
09-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Well, the only game whose character was initially inspired by the Creed was Altair in AC1, and even then, with a horrible misunderstanding of it.
And Ezio in ACII wasn't inspired by the Creed, arguably even at the end of the game. It was more like adopting the Creed to his personal experiences through life and what he went through, rather than actually being inspired by it (not to mention that his initial goal was pure revenge).

Ezio understood the Creed by the time he gave that speech after the death of Savonarola, seeing as that's pretty much what his speech was about. But I don't think the Creed is what drove him to fight. At least not in AC2 and in ACB he probably started out mostly for revenge as well, but he did realize that Cesare was a tyrant and worked to liberate Rome But that isn't even exactly the Creed. It's not like they were actively trying to get the truth out to the people of Rome.

Shahkulu101
09-02-2013, 10:38 PM

That's because people just want it shoved down their throats rather than have to try and interpret things themselves.

Assassin_M
09-02-2013, 10:40 PM
That's because people just want it shoved down their throats rather than have to try and interpret things themselves.
You`re a good human...

TheDanteEX
09-02-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm actually really excited to be in the middle of the Assassin and Templar conflict but not immediately on a side. This way we can compare the two ideologies and decide what's really better for the world, instead of being tossed on to one side that makes your goal seem right and your enemies' not. I think that's what they're trying to do with the story now, but they're still cursed with the brand name highlighting the Assassins. The new modern-day style works really well for people who just join the series because they can slowly learn about the goals of each side, but one isn't presented as better. It's smart and I'm sure it's how they wanted it to be from the beginning.

So yeah, I can't wait to see Assassins I truly despise and Templar I just adore, and vise-versa.

Shahkulu101
09-02-2013, 10:41 PM
You`re a good human...

You often make that remark these days.

Assassin_M
09-02-2013, 10:42 PM
You often make that remark these days.
The lack of good humans

Oleg l Kirrlov
09-02-2013, 10:43 PM

Creed... in AC3? Ha. I'll spit on your tomb. But there was no creed in AC3, you just did missions others were too lazy to do and told them about the templars and called them for help.
(Achilles was you trainer so he don't count since there isn't a full creed)

LightRey
09-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Creed... in AC3? Ha. I'll spit on your tomb. But there was no creed in AC3, you just did missions others were too lazy to do and told them about the templars and called them for help.
Just because the Creed isn't mentioned doesn't mean the Creed wasn't there. It's a creed, not a motto. It's clearly visible in Connor's attitude and his actions.

Oleg l Kirrlov
09-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Just because the Creed isn't mentioned doesn't mean the Creed wasn't there. It's a creed, not a motto. It's clearly visible in Connor's attitude and his actions.

Im talking literally. To me there was no creed just an assassin and a master.

Assassin_M
09-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Im talking literally. To me there was no creed just an assassin and a master.
If an Assassin doesn't wear a hood, he isn't an Assassin

Oleg l Kirrlov
09-02-2013, 11:59 PM
If an Assassin doesn't wear a hood, he isn't an Assassin

the hood is something the assassin wears, it is not a motto. Plus its just my opinion :/

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 12:01 AM
the hood is something the assassin wears, it is not a motto. Plus its just my opinion :/
The Creed is Symbolic...so is the hood...and you`v every right to it..

Oleg l Kirrlov
09-03-2013, 12:16 AM
The Creed is Symbolic...so is the hood...and you`v every right to it..

I will eat you, your hood, and symbols.

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 12:18 AM
I will eat you, your hood, and symbols.
We taste like chicken.....wait

Jexx21
09-03-2013, 12:26 AM

You'll be glad when I'm dead and will want to dishonor me even when I'm dead?

Not very adhering to the creed I see.

Oleg l Kirrlov
09-03-2013, 12:30 AM
You'll be glad when I'm dead and will want to dishonor me even when I'm dead?

Not very adhering to the creed I see.

No I just felt like quoting black adam :P

Megas_Doux
09-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Ugh!!!!!
Summarizing:

1 M was being sarcastic, if case you did not noticed..
2 There were assassins in AC3, because the Assassins want freedom and Connor fought believing that, MUCH more that AC2´s Ezio, for instance.
3 There has been "hoodles" assassins, or did you forgot about Machiavelli, Antonio and Mario???????
4 The "creed" might be ever more present in AC4 than all the games but AC1, giving the fact that Edward will be torn between that and its pirate life.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-03-2013, 03:47 AM
Again a Creed is a system...not a group of guys in robes.
Such as members (pastor, nun..etc..)of a church..they belong to a creed....A system within the church

Jexx21
09-03-2013, 03:52 AM
A Creed is a belief.. not a system.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-03-2013, 03:54 AM
A Creed is a belief.. not a system.
A creed is not a belief at all..it is a system..
A belief is a belief
I believe the sky is blue..doesnt make me a member of a creed

Sky is blue Creed ;D

STDlyMcStudpants
09-03-2013, 03:59 AM
A Creed can only be taught and understood. It isn't something you can see with your eyes.
Connor was accepted by the Assassin's Creed and became a part of its order/system.
So the creed was definitely in AC 3
People are confusing a creed with a brotherhood..which is an association and society of people linked together by common interest, religion, etc...
And I can get behind a statement like bring back the brotherhood.
Because I do miss that/
But then again black beard will be in our brotherhood and we will have a crew!
Just sucks we cant whistle for them haha

Jexx21
09-03-2013, 04:09 AM
fine, a creed is a system of beliefs.

It's still a belief.

pirate1802
09-03-2013, 04:13 AM

Agreed. About time someone dedicated a game to us. Our culture is woefully underrepresented in vidyagaems :(

Jexx21
09-03-2013, 04:16 AM
we're the pirates, who don't do anything, we just stay at home, and lie around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaWU1CmrJNc

pirate1802
09-03-2013, 04:24 AM
3 There has been "hoodles" assassins, or did you forgot about Machiavelli, Antonio and Mario???????.

And Paola, and Bartolomeo, and Theodora. Infact almost all the AC2 assassins were hoodless. People didn't have a problem back then, but now apparently its not assassiny enough. Regardless, I never had the slightest problem with hoodless assassins. Because imo, hoodless assassins > hooded assassins. Better be discreet and blend in as your Creed commands you to be, than wear shining white robes with bigass assassin symbols painted all over you that can be seen from miles away.

Jexx21
09-03-2013, 04:27 AM
yea but the assassins in AC2 sucked butt.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-03-2013, 04:44 AM
Was mario an assassin?

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 04:44 AM
Was mario an assassin?
Yes, because he was in AC II

pirate1802
09-03-2013, 04:48 AM
Was mario an assassin?

-_-

pirate1802
09-03-2013, 04:50 AM
yea but the assassins in AC2 sucked butt.

Apart from Machiavelli and La Volpe, agreed.

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 04:58 AM
Apart from Machiavelli and La Volpe, agreed.
EVERYONE in AC II is a good Assassin, you talk from your butt..

pirate1802
09-03-2013, 05:03 AM
EVERYONE in AC II is a good Assassin, you talk from your butt..

butt...butt...butt... D:

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 05:06 AM
butt...butt...butt... D:
NO butts

pirate1802
09-03-2013, 05:07 AM
NO butts

Depends on who's butt we're talking about.

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 05:08 AM
Depends on who's butt we're talking about.
Hmm...i`m not really a Butt person..you choose

pirate1802
09-03-2013, 05:09 AM
Hmm...i`m not really a Butt person..you choose

Both male and female butts are available to be chosen? :)

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 05:16 AM
Both male and female butts are available to be chosen? :)
Sure, pick your cup o` tea...

pirate1802
09-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Sure, pick your cup o` tea...

I'd have to do some serious research before I come to a conclusion. ::D

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 05:21 AM
I'd have to do some serious research before I come to a conclusion. ::D
Butt....to reach a conclusion...

Am I the only one who sees a relation?

pirate1802
09-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Am I the only one who sees a relation?

Yes.

Jexx21
09-03-2013, 06:33 AM
is the conclusion a happy ending?

Farlander1991
09-03-2013, 07:03 AM
I leave you guys for several hours and this is what this thread transforms itself into? :p

pirate1802
09-03-2013, 07:05 AM
I leave you guys for several hours and this is what this thread transforms itself into? :p

Second law of thermodynamics at work.

avk111
09-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Hello Community,

So I was going through the thread and noticed some miscalculations in terms of the whole "Creed" being not implemented in AC3 and I would like to point out that the whole Creed tenants are basically taught to our protege Connor, as he mentions how Achillies taught him about the history of both factions and thier long existing wars. However in terms of gamplay , they are not emphasized alot due to Desmond already knowing what the creed is etc. makes me think this is a marketing tool for new entrants to buy the first games in order to understand the whole concept of the Assassins.

As for the assassins recruited by Connor , they are officially assassins, even our Canadian Stephane, some may argue that he was going out killing every red coat that comes accross him , that was a fact however also take into consideration that Connor was following him and insisting "This is not the way to do it"

Looking outside the box for the regular fans they would know what the creed tenants are and they wouldnt need to be worried if they exist or not in both AC3 or AC4 because they are there just not mentioned in terms of development, however for new entrants it may cause them to turn back thier attention to the first few titles, logically speaking thats how it turns out for every Comic book, Manga etc... you want to understand the esoteric of the plot line go back on reset.

Thank you :)

pacmanate
09-03-2013, 11:38 AM
As for the assassins recruited by Connor , they are officially assassins, even our Canadian Stephane, some may argue that he was going out killing every red coat that comes accross him , that was a fact however also take into consideration that Connor was following him and insisting "This is not the way to do it"

Can I just say that this mission was so stupid. Connor kept telling Stephane this was not the way to do it, yet Connor killed god knows how many redcoats in that mission.

Farlander1991
09-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Can I just say that this mission was so stupid. Connor kept telling Stephane this was not the way to do it, yet Connor killed god knows how many redcoats in that mission.

I didn't kill a single one :p

(well, I did kill 5 in the second playthrough because for some reason the optional objective in this mission is 5 low-profile assassinations, which, like, goes against what this mission is about, in fact if anything, it should be a kill-limiting objective, but, optional objectives in AC3 a lot of times don't make sense)

pacmanate
09-03-2013, 11:48 AM
I didn't kill a single one :p

(well, I did kill 5 in the second playthrough because for some reason the optional objective in this mission is 5 low-profile assassinations, which, like, goes against what this mission is about, in fact if anything, it should be a kill-limiting objective, but, optional objectives in AC3 a lot of times don't make sense)
Yup, the fact that it was an objective made no sense. What would have made sense would be "Don't use lethal weapons" or something.

Locopells
09-03-2013, 12:46 PM
It made perfect sense, Connor kept saying 'don't do this', but was forced to kill the redcoats Stephane kept provoking.

avk111
09-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Hello Community,

In response to some of your comments, its always best to look at the context and narrative of the plotline, Connor was helping protect Stephan while at the sametime trying to redirect his effort in doing justice i.e. the creed.

This is evident by the conversation flow they had as the evidence speak for itself.

Stephane: Ces Coquins me prennent mon père au Canada et voilà qu'ils me ravissent ma propriete ici. Il suffit! (The dirty bastards take my father from me in Canada and now they take my property in Boston. I've had enough!) We are not English! We are not the King's men! We are free! But the King sends these REDCOATS to push us around! They are not our masters! This is our city! Let's show them who owns it! It's time to fight!
Connor: Stephane. Please. Stop and listen to me.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121221142831/assassinscreed/images/thumb/0/0e/ACIII-AngryChef_1.png/250px-ACIII-AngryChef_1.png (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121221142831/assassinscreed/images/0/0e/ACIII-AngryChef_1.png)Stephane followed by a group of civilians

Stephane: I've listened for long enough! They come into MY home and take MY things? I will get my revenge. The man responsible for this will pay. His friends will pay! Voilà trop longtemps que je subis ces affronts! Ils vont goûter de mon courroux! (For too long I've suffered these indignities! They will taste my wrath!) You looking for a fight, Englishmen!? I'll give you what you want!

Connor killed more Redcoats.

Stephane: Où que j'aille, l'Anglais croise mon chemin. Ils me volent ma maison, ils m'obligent à fuir mon pays. Et les voici qui veulent s'approprier ma NOUVELLE demeure! (I cannot escape the English, no matter where I go. They kick me out of my home, I come here. Now they want to take my NEW home!)
Connor: There is a way to fight injustice! But THIS is not it!

Thank you :)

Hans684
09-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Not worried at all.

TheDanteEX
09-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Wasn't the optional objective to perform low-profile assassinations? Wouldn't that mean Connor killed the red coats before any conflict was stirred since you're thrown into combat when you get close to a fight. It would make more sense if Connor stopped Stephane rather than the red coats, but you know this game..

pacmanate
09-03-2013, 05:17 PM
It made perfect sense, Connor kept saying 'don't do this', but was forced to kill the redcoats Stephane kept provoking.

Wasn't the optional objective to perform low-profile assassinations? Wouldn't that mean Connor killed the red coats before any conflict was stirred since you're thrown into combat when you get close to a fight. It would make more sense if Connor stopped Stephane rather than the red coats, but you know this game..

^ This, basically. Connor could have held Stephane back instead of just saying "stop" when at the same time killing everyone.

Jexx21
09-03-2013, 05:20 PM
that's why I don't consider some of the optional objectives to be canon.

pacmanate
09-03-2013, 05:43 PM
that's why I don't consider some of the optional objectives to be canon.

But they said that optional objectives are exactly what the ancestor did so it kinda is.

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 05:48 PM
But they said that optional objectives are exactly what the ancestor did so it kinda is.
You consider Connor a jerk even after he apologized to Achilles, so.... Yeah....we can all think what we want

Jexx21
09-03-2013, 05:56 PM

Doesn't matter, a ton of the optional objectives made no sense in context. I'm gonna believe that the optional objectives are not canon as my personal head-canon.

pacmanate
09-03-2013, 06:10 PM
You consider Connor a jerk even after he apologized to Achilles, so.... Yeah....we can all think what we want

What?

When did Connor apologize to Achilles?

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 06:14 PM
What?

Like I said, We can all think what we like

ladyleonhart
09-03-2013, 06:17 PM
What?

Here it is: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B8ywnVJrRA

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B8ywnVJrRA

pacmanate
09-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Oh yeah, but Connor started being rude to Achilles in 1769. He then apologises in 1778, but only for his outbreak before about Achilles failing the order, not for the other 9 years of being rude

Thats 9 years for one apology.

Shahkulu101
09-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Achilles and Connor's scenes were te best cutscenes in AC3 -- I hope AC4 continues that standard of interaction between characters, I think it will judging by the snippet of Adewale and Eddie's relationship.

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Oh yeah, but Connor started being rude to Achilles in 1769. He then apologises in 1778, but only for his outbreak before about Achilles failing the order, not for the other 9 years of being rude

See? This is why I didn't bother searching for a video and wasting my time...everybody can think what they like

Shahkulu101
Oh yeah, but Connor started being rude to Achilles in 1769. He then apologises in 1778, but only for his outbreak before about Achilles failing the order.

Connor was right in that sense though -- it's ironic that he actually dished up a bit of reality to Achilles. Also I don't know why people can't comprehend this but he's going to be angry when just about everything in his life has been destroyed. They tried to portray him realistically. Unlike in AC2 when Ezio strokes Paula's breasts.

ladyleonhart
Oh yeah, but Connor started being rude to Achilles in 1769. He then apologises in 1778, but only for his outbreak before about Achilles failing the order.

It's more complicated than that. It wasn't because he couldn't be bothered. Think about it. No phones and it took way too long to get anywhere and he wasn't just sitting around. I'm sure it was on his mind for a very long time and impacted him too.

ladyleonhart
09-03-2013, 06:27 PM
See? This is why I didn't bother searching for a video and wasting my time...everybody can think what they like

I didn't waste my time. It was easy to find and I love ACIII. :)

pacmanate
09-03-2013, 06:27 PM
It's more complicated than that. It wasn't because he couldn't be bothered. Think about it. No phones and it took way too long to get anywhere and he wasn't just sitting around. I'm sure it was on his mind for a very long time and impacted him too.

If it was on his mind he wouldn't of kept doing it. Nearly every encounter with Achilles had some attitude/rudeness from Connor.

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Connor was right in that sense though -- it's ironic that he actually dished up a bit of reality to Achilles. Also I don't know why people can't comprehend this but he's going to be angry when just about everything in his life has been destroyed. They tried to portray him realistically. Unlike in AC2 when Ezio strokes Paula's breasts.
Teodora* but lol

Assassin_M
09-03-2013, 06:29 PM
I didn't waste my time. It was easy to find and I love ACIII. :)
You're nice, I'm a jerk :P

Shahkulu101
09-03-2013, 06:32 PM
It's not even like Achilles was so bothered by it. They tried to emphasise the father-son bond between them by Connor acting a little whiny now and then. You know, teenagers. Plus, it matters not when Connor ultimately has the utmost respect for him and has that heartfelt speech after his death.

ladyleonhart
09-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Connor was right in that sense though -- it's ironic that he actually dished up a bit of reality to Achilles. Also I don't know why people can't comprehend this but he's going to be angry when just about everything in his life has been destroyed. They tried to portray him realistically.

This ^

If it was on his mind he wouldn't of kept doing it. Nearly every encounter with Achilles had some attitude/rudeness from Connor.

Then, as I said, it was more complicated than that. He never had a father figure until Achilles. His whole world had been turned upside down before that, starting with losing his mother... Then he had a lot of anger and didn't understand the world. Then, I don't think any issues with his attitude or any rudeness, as you see it, was intentional at all.

ladyleonhart
09-03-2013, 06:36 PM
You're nice, I'm a jerk :P

Thank you, and no you're not. :)

It's not even like Achilles was so bothered by it. They tried to emphasise the father-son bond between them by Connor acting a little whiny now and then. You know, teenagers. Plus, it matters not when Connor ultimately has the utmost respect for him and has that heartfelt speech after his death.

Exactly this. At least you get it. :D

Farlander1991
09-03-2013, 06:36 PM

I'm not sure if you know this, but teenagers are kinda brash and rude (and if you think you aren't, wait until you look back at your teenage years and think about what an *** you were, I think 85% of the people have went through that realization at the least), and it's just a thing that happens (and it steel seeps in your early 20s, know by myself). And if somebody keeps telling that said teenager, who's also headstrong and full of conviction by nature, that what he's doing is worthless over and over again, you'd snap out pretty frequently too.

Shahkulu101
09-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Exactly this. At least you get it. :D

Well that's just my interpretation, glad you agree. :)

ladyleonhart
09-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Well that's just my interpretation, glad you agree. :)

Well, I believe you're right. :)

Achilles and Connor had a special bond. They were family, and families understand each other even when things go wrong.

Jexx21
09-03-2013, 06:59 PM
You know, I find that watching the movie versions of the games on youtube helps me understand them better.

I would suggest most people do the same. They're just the cutscenes (although some are cut out :/) with some gameplay bits.

TheDanteEX
09-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Revelations is the only game which I had a clear understanding of the story all the way through. It felt as if everything was explained neatly and important information wasn't hidden inside real life history or databases; as well as having every character play an important role the whole way through. Other AC games never gave me a clear motive for each mission the same way, as it's usually mentioned scarcely so it's just too easy to miss information unless you pay attention to every line of dialogue and focus on context a little bit too much. And the separation of gameplay and story can make some details sink out your brain a bit. Some missions just didn't feel like it was helping the overarching goal for the hero. Brotherhood came a bit close, but I only think it's because I felt its story never really went anywhere and was riddled with unexplained information and plotholes.

This is why I'm excited for Darby's writing in AC4.

SixKeys
09-04-2013, 12:19 AM
They're just the cutscenes (although some are cut out :/) with some gameplay bits.

A perfect description of AC3. :rolleyes:

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 12:20 AM

ehhhh...

this joke wasn't funny.

LightRey
09-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Sadly, there's more truth to this than some are willing to admit.

SixKeys
09-04-2013, 12:23 AM
ehhhh...

this joke wasn't funny.

It wasn't a joke.

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 12:29 AM
I'm sure that four hours of cutscenes when I spend 40 hours in one playthrough is mostly cutscenes, right?

>.>

And if it's not a joke you shouldn't put :rolleyes: there

Assassin_M
09-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Cheeky, but true..

ArabianFrost
09-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Cheeky, but true..

When you hit 20,000 , party at my house. We'll drink tea and talk about politics like every Arab gathering.

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Cheeky, but true..

but it isn't true -_-

the mission design just wasn't good -_-

ladyleonhart
09-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Sadly, there's more truth to this than some are willing to admit.

Nothing to admit, because it isn't true. ;)

but it isn't true -_-

Exactly. :D

Shahkulu101
09-04-2013, 12:45 AM
its 'appnin again lads

ArabianFrost
09-04-2013, 12:45 AM
but it isn't true -_-

You're Connor-o-meter is through the roof.

Have a snickers.

SixKeys
09-04-2013, 12:46 AM
I'm sure that four hours of cutscenes when I spend 40 hours in one playthrough is mostly cutscenes, right?

>.>

And if it's not a joke you shouldn't put :rolleyes: there

I was being cheeky, yes, hence the smiley, but I was also being serious. I dare you to go back and replay the ship sequence with Haytham and count how much time you spend actually being in control of the character vs. watching cut scenes. (I'm not talking about faffing about for hours in free-roam doing whatever, but going directly from objective to objective.)

ladyleonhart
09-04-2013, 12:47 AM
its 'appnin again lads

I only made "one" comment. :( Jexx was outnumbered.

Well... bye then. *leaves thread*

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 12:48 AM
I was being cheeky, yes, hence the smiley, but I was also being serious. I dare you to go back and replay the ship sequence with Haytham and count how much time you spend actually being in control of the character vs. watching cut scenes. (I'm not talking about faffing about for hours in free-roam doing whatever, but going directly from objective to objective.)
Well yea, mostly cutscenes. That's what the main mission line is in AC3 because the mission design is pretty crappy.

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 12:48 AM
You're Connor-o-meter is through the roof.

Have a snickers.
your*

It has nothing to do with Connor.

Stop it.

ladyleonhart
09-04-2013, 12:49 AM

*Returns*

I hate that ship sequence with Haytham. >_< I played it yesterday and skipped every sequence until he climbs the mast.

SixKeys
09-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Well yea, mostly cutscenes. That's what the main mission line is in AC3 because the mission design is pretty crappy.

Which was exactly my point. In the Haytham ship scene you're not even allowed to climb the mast however you want, for goodness' sake. You HAVE to go through at least 3 checkpoints for the game to accept that you climbed a freaking mast the right way. Almost every mission in the game is like that. Walk 10 meters to checkpoint, trigger cut scene.

ArabianFrost
09-04-2013, 12:51 AM
your*

It has nothing to do with Connor.

Stop it.
Agreed.

I'll stop venting my boredom on the forums.

It's not like there's anything new anyway, so......sorry, mi amigo

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 01:01 AM
Which was exactly my point. In the Haytham ship scene you're not even allowed to climb the mast however you want, for goodness' sake. You HAVE to go through at least 3 checkpoints for the game to accept that you climbed a freaking mast the right way. Almost every mission in the game is like that. Walk 10 meters to checkpoint, trigger cut scene.

Yea, that is stupid.

But I don't consider the main missions to be all of AC3.

So AC3 still isn't mostly cut scenes to me.

I wouldn't exactly mind it if it was though..

Templar_Az
09-04-2013, 01:23 AM
Here is what I think could happen although this isn't what I actually want to happen. Here goes:

Edward and his pirate crew raid an Island because of course they wanna find some treasure. Instead they find one man, probably old who happens to be an Assassin; think of this man like Achilles from AC 3 but its not Achilles. This man ends up recruiting Edward to the Brotherhood and then tells Edward the missions he must complete (taking out the templars with historical events occuring ofcourse).
It would be kinda cool if this Assassin man would join your pirate crew but there is no way their gonna give us that.
So yeah thats it.

Jexx21
09-04-2013, 01:25 AM
that's not happening though.

silverASSASSIN79
09-04-2013, 03:40 AM
Chances are in this game the creed will be non-existent and will just be pirates plundering stuff. That is fine. But when they do that and they put "Assassin's Creed" in the title, it just really annoys me. Because the title contradicts the game directly. But I am pretty happy with the naval combat system. They have nailed it. But other than that I really don't have high hopes for this game.

pirate1802
09-04-2013, 04:22 AM
Chances are in this game the creed will be non-existent and will just be pirates plundering stuff. That is fine. But when they do that and they put "Assassin's Creed" in the title, it just really annoys me. Because the title contradicts the game directly. But I am pretty happy with the naval combat system. They have nailed it. But other than that I really don't have high hopes for this game.

So, your first mate being an Assassin, you mingling with both the Assassin and Templar high commanders, writers saying that Edward will sway between Assassin and Templar ideologies like a pendulum.... all comes down to no Creed? I can use your crystal ball, care to pass it to me? :)

Assassin_M
09-04-2013, 04:23 AM
So, your first mate being an Assassin, you mingling with both the Assassin and Templar high commanders, writers saying that Edward will sway between Assassin and Templar ideologies like a pendulum.... all comes down to no Creed? I can use your crystal ball, care to pass it to me? :)
Is the fish ready?

avk111
09-04-2013, 08:38 AM
^ This, basically. Connor could have held Stephane back instead of just saying "stop" when at the same time killing everyone.

Again look at the context of the plotline , we can implement the "could, would , should" theory in any fact or event , still wouldnt change the reality of things.

Not to mention that the main protagonist was parallel to the recruit's motive i.e. Stephan's fight for freedom but not in the way it was implemented.. As there was a previous event which caused a familiarity between them both.

Evidence:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121220170825/assassinscreed/images/thumb/f/f1/ACIII-JohnsonTrail_9.png/250px-ACIII-JohnsonTrail_9.png (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121220170825/assassinscreed/images/f/f1/ACIII-JohnsonTrail_9.png)Samuel and Connor watching the attackThey then came across a man having an argument with a British taxman.

Stephane: Hey, it's my home no matter what you thieves called 'taxmen' say! If the gumps in Parliament, who want my property, you tell them to sail across the pond and take it themselves!
Taxman: It's not open for discussion! Now open this door or these men will break it down!

Stephane then threw the contents of his chamberpot down at the taxman.

Redcoat: Bollocks! We're coming in!
Samuel: I trust the mounting evidence is proof enough, Connor.
Connor: Continue on. I shall meet you at our destination.

Connor then defended Stephane Chapheau (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Stephane_Chapheau) from the Redcoats.

Stephane: Justice for once. I dare the Governor to send more.
Connor: You alright?
Stephane: I'm fine. It's not my first dance. For all their teeth and claws these little foxes, they fight like puppies. Thank you, my friend. I said I'd buy you an ale, but I'm expected somewhere else.

​Thank you :)

pirate1802
09-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Is the fish ready?

Loaded and ready to fire.

LoyalACFan
09-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Again look at the context of the plotline , we can implement the "could, would , should" theory in any fact or event , still wouldnt change the reality of things.

Not to mention that the main protagonist was parallel to the recruit's motive i.e. Stephan's fight for freedom but not in the way it was implemented.. As there was a previous event which caused a familiarity between them both.

Evidence:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121220170825/assassinscreed/images/thumb/f/f1/ACIII-JohnsonTrail_9.png/250px-ACIII-JohnsonTrail_9.png (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121220170825/assassinscreed/images/f/f1/ACIII-JohnsonTrail_9.png)Samuel and Connor watching the attackThey then came across a man having an argument with a British taxman.

Stephane: Hey, it's my home no matter what you thieves called 'taxmen' say! If the gumps in Parliament, who want my property, you tell them to sail across the pond and take it themselves!
Taxman: It's not open for discussion! Now open this door or these men will break it down!

Stephane then threw the contents of his chamberpot down at the taxman.

Redcoat: Bollocks! We're coming in!
Samuel: I trust the mounting evidence is proof enough, Connor.
Connor: Continue on. I shall meet you at our destination.

Connor then defended Stephane Chapheau (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Stephane_Chapheau) from the Redcoats.

Stephane: Justice for once. I dare the Governor to send more.
Connor: You alright?
Stephane: I'm fine. It's not my first dance. For all their teeth and claws these little foxes, they fight like puppies. Thank you, my friend. I said I'd buy you an ale, but I'm expected somewhere else.

​Thank you :)

I still don't like Stephane... Being angry about taxes is not an excuse to commit murder against people who didn't even tax you. In today's world, that would be like getting pissed when you're filling out your taxes, and driving around town murdering cops.

In any case, I'm hopeful for the Brotherhood in AC4.

Edit- I don't mean the actual Brotherhood mechanic, I know that's gone, just the order itself.

Megas_Doux
09-04-2013, 11:16 PM
I still don't like Stephane... Being angry about taxes is not an excuse to commit murder against people who didn't even tax you. In today's world, that would be like getting pissed when you're filling out your taxes, and driving around town murdering cops.

In any case, I'm hopeful for the Brotherhood in AC4.

Ugh!

I hated that guy!

Shahkulu101
09-04-2013, 11:20 PM
I only liked Dobbie and Duncan out of the recruits.

LoyalACFan
09-05-2013, 02:03 AM
I only liked Dobbie and Duncan out of the recruits.

Das German Guy was pretty cool too :p

Jexx21
09-05-2013, 02:11 AM
I liked Clipper too.

Dobby, Duncan, and Clipper were my favorite recruits.

I-Like-Pie45
09-05-2013, 02:24 AM
Clipper was cool SNIPER IS SPY guy
Dobby was there for looks and shipping purposes
Duncan was like a cool killer Assassin church guy
Stephane was an idiot
Zenger was bald
COLLEY WAS BEARD

TheDanteEX
09-05-2013, 04:16 AM
Honestly, Stephane was being irrational, something which every character in AC has done. And it's not like the people at the time didn't get mad at the redcoats for taxes. They had to lead it up to the Tea Party. Of course, him going out and killing a bunch of redcoats is just incredibly silly and unrealistic even with Connor. Hm.. the optional objective is starting to make sense now.

The rest of the recruits were just bland and I forgot their personalities as soon as their liberation mission was over. If they had sidemissions post-recruitment, then I'd feel attached to them at least a little. Or they could have made the final liberation missions replayable. Some of them were pretty fun and open.

Jexx21
09-05-2013, 04:29 AM
Well, if Connor gets a sequel, we would most likely continue to see the growth of his recruits into the Assassins.

You know, I even like Stephane, even if it is mostly for his personality outside of killing a bunch of Redcoats and his accent.

I-Like-Pie45
09-05-2013, 04:59 AM
Stephane IRL
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110217142456/assassinscreed/images/7/7d/Shawn_Baichoo.jpg

MIA SILENT
09-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I haven't seen anything about the Assassins in AC4 yet. I'm hoping it's because they want to show Edward before he joins the Brotherhood and to let that transition come through in the game, regarding how his personality and motives change. I expect him to be reluctant to transition from Pirate to Assassin which could make for some great story moments and character development. So i'd say i'm more excited than worried.

Hans684
09-05-2013, 06:31 PM
I haven't seen anything about the Assassins in AC4 yet. I'm hoping it's because they want to show Edward before he joins the Brotherhood and to let that transition come through in the game, regarding how his personality and motives change. I expect him to be reluctant to transition from Pirate to Assassin which could make for some great story moments and character development. So i'd say i'm more excited than worried.

From Pirate to Pirate Assassin to Assassin.

MIA SILENT
09-05-2013, 06:38 PM
From Pirate to Pirate Assassin to Assassin.

Yeah pretty much. It's the Pirate Assassin part i'm most looking forward to. The boisterous Pirate going through the discipline of becoming an Assassin.

IceHot100
09-06-2013, 04:52 PM

Not sure if sarcastic or serious...I, for one don't like where this franchise is heading...or has already headed would be more accurate. No I'm not saying, "hurr durr no assasins i dis game sucks". But it has been heavily emphasized on the pirate lifestyle instead of the Creed and has also been marketed as such.

But you shoould have already known that since the release of AC3. There was minimal discussion about the traditional Creed.

On the other hand it's good that the game is returning to it's roots in terms of gameplay like stealth and freedom.

Hans684
09-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Not sure if sarcastic or serious...I, for one don't like where this franchise is heading...or has already headed would be more accurate. No I'm not saying, "hurr durr no assasins i dis game sucks". But it has been heavily emphasized on the pirate lifestyle instead of the Creed and has also been marketed as such.

But you shoould have already known that since the release of AC3. There was minimal discussion about the traditional Creed.

On the other hand it's good that the game is returning to it's roots in terms of gameplay like stealth and freedom.

As far as i know that is your definition of what the creed is and your opinion(I have nothing against it). But just compare the main charecter to the main charecter(Altaïr, Ezio, Haytham & Connor) you hate/dislike the most with ACIVBF , compare the gameplay(AC, ACII, ACB, ACR & AC3) you hate the most with ACIVBF e.c.t

You gett the point. Then tell me if you what you think of ACIVBF so far.