PDA

View Full Version : Assassin’s Creed IV “is the best pirate game ever made,” says Ubisoft

catkiller97
08-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Assassin’s Creed IV “is the best pirate game ever made,” says Ubisoft

Assassin’s Creed IV lead writer Darby McDevitt believes his team has created “the best pirate game ever made”.

McDevitt was asked if story-driven titles including like Uncharted are considered part of the competition. In response, he said:

“There’s no competition! This is the best pirate game ever made! Maybe even the best Assassin’s Creed game ever made. Maybe Wind Waker HD [laughs] Very different tone, though! But I think there hasn’t really been a good pirate game, and we worked very, very hard to make that economic loop very robust.”

“There are lots of upgrade options, the loop is all tied together with crafting, hunting, harpooning, looting other ships, getting wood, metal and money to upgrade yourself, your ship – you even have a hideout in this game. It’s all tied together very smartly, so that no system feels superfluous, so we hope at the end of the day it’s the best pirate game ever made.”

Source (http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2060579/assassins_creed_4_this_is_the_best_pirate_game_eve r_made_says_ubisoft.html)

Aphex_Tim
08-29-2013, 02:36 PM
getting wood

It can't be that good...

ArabianFrost
08-29-2013, 02:41 PM
When Raven Cry is your only challenge, I'd say it's really hard to bloody find challenge to begin with.

Also, it IS the best pirate game and MAYBE the best AC game? What the hell? Damn it, get your priorities straight Ubisoft. This is an Assassin's Creed game, not your pirate fantasy jerker.

Crouching.Tiger
08-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Better than The Secret of Monkey Island™? :confused:

Jexx21
08-29-2013, 02:53 PM
When Raven Cry is your only challenge, I'd say it's really hard to bloody find challenge to begin with.

Also, it IS the best pirate game and MAYBE the best AC game? What the hell? Damn it, get your priorities straight Ubisoft. This is an Assassin's Creed game, not your pirate fantasy jerker.

Darby.

Darby McDevitt.

Not Ubisoft.

ArabianFrost
08-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Darby.

Darby McDevitt.

Not Ubisoft.

Who do we reach one we want to know Ubisoft's opinion?

Jexx21
08-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Yves.

ArabianFrost
08-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Yves.

But I hate his opinions.

Jexx21
08-29-2013, 03:03 PM
He doesn't have opinions. He's just a face for the company. Ubisoft's opinions are his opinions.

He can't share his personal thoughts on anything.

Stop blaming Yves for everything because we don't know anything about him. Blame the board of directors sure, but don't put the blame on a specific person.

ArabianFrost
08-29-2013, 03:08 PM
He doesn't have opinions. He's just a face for the company. Ubisoft's opinions are his opinions.

He can't share his personal thoughts on anything.

Stop blaming Yves for everything because we don't know anything about him. Blame the board of directors sure, but don't put the blame on a specific person.

I blame him and the board of directors.

Jexx21
08-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Then you're illogical.

roostersrule2
08-29-2013, 03:15 PM
If Ubisoft put a d after the pirate, it would make the game sound a lot better. It would be quite an achievement.

Jexx21
08-29-2013, 03:15 PM
the best pirate **** game ever made? that doesn't sound better.

ACfan443
08-29-2013, 03:16 PM

This.

I suppose, like you mentioned, with a lack of any threatening competitors there's little fear of calling it the best pirate game ever. However as an Assassin's Creed game, there's a lot to live up to regarding the core fans' expectations. With the backlash AC3 received they're probably being cautious with their promises and refraining from certain buzz terms. It's understandable, but also exhibits a lack of confidence. I'd prefer for them to be absolutely sure that their AC game is the best AC game, why aim for anything less?

roostersrule2
08-29-2013, 03:16 PM
the best pirate **** game ever made? that doesn't sound better.If you try to be a smartass and it's not funny it makes you a ******* lololololololol

Jexx21
08-29-2013, 03:17 PM
i'm a **** poster, I'm supposed to be like this

roostersrule2
08-29-2013, 03:19 PM
i'm a **** poster, I'm supposed to be like thisAs am I, it's why I posted that.

ACfan443
08-29-2013, 03:19 PM
i'm a **** poster, I'm supposed to be like this

Weren't you gonna take a break to clear your head or whatever?

roostersrule2
08-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Weren't you gonna take a break to clear your head or whatever?Probably just had a snort lolololololoololololololol

Jexx21
08-29-2013, 03:23 PM
I am. I'm using my account on this site to ridicule and mock others who ridicule and mock while I have discussions on other sites.

adventurewomen
08-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Of course Darby would say this!

getting wood
LMFAO!

ArabianFrost
08-29-2013, 03:26 PM
This.

I suppose, like you mentioned, with a lack of any threatening competitors there's little fear of calling it the best pirate game ever. However as an Assassin's Creed game, there's a lot to live up to regarding the core fans' expectations. With the backlash AC3 received they're probably being cautious with their promises and refraining from certain buzz terms. It's understandable, but also exhibits a lack of confidence. I'd prefer for them to be absolutely sure that their AC game is the best AC game, why aim for anything less?

Well, Ashraf did say it's the best AC game (at least for him), so there's that.

While we're at it, I'm sowwy Ubisoft if you got offended or something. We can never hate on ya Darby.

ACfan443
08-29-2013, 03:28 PM
I am. I'm using my account on this site to ridicule and mock others who ridicule and mock while I have discussions on other sites.

I don't see how that's going to help you become a good poster again, but ok.

Jexx21
08-29-2013, 03:31 PM
I can never be a good poster in the current condition of these forums.

roostersrule2
08-29-2013, 03:36 PM
I can never be a good poster in the current condition of these forums.Like Urkel.

Jexx21
08-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Urkel is awesome.

Assassin_M
08-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Oh here we go again -_- "best AC evaaaa"

adventurewomen
08-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Kanye runs in and pushes POTC aside and announces: "I'm real sorry.. Ima let you finish but ACIV is the best Pirate themed story of all time!"

:D

Lass4r
08-29-2013, 06:35 PM

That's because theres no other pirate games and 5 other AC games.

The_Heisenberg
08-29-2013, 08:21 PM
If I made a game, I'd say it's the best gave ever as well..

lothario-da-be
08-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Not realy hard to make the best pirate game when there are barely any pirate games.

SixKeys
08-29-2013, 11:26 PM
McDevitt was asked if story-driven titles including like Uncharted are considered part of the competition. In response, he said:

“There’s no competition! This is the best pirate game ever made! Maybe even the best Assassin’s Creed game ever made. Maybe Wind Waker HD [laughs] Very different tone, though! But I think there hasn’t really been a good pirate game, and we worked very, very hard to make that economic loop very robust.”

http://static3.fjcdn.com/comments/Judging+from+those+red+thumbs+you+may+want+to+stop +_fdc913ca073392d7e29ce318dda55102.jpg

http://download.gamezone.com/assets/old/screenshots/sid-meieir-pirates.jpg

I might be more okay with this statement if no-one on the AC4 team had ever heard of Sid Meier's Pirates, but considering AC4 seriously looks like it's ripping off about half of its contents.....yeah, I'll be over here judging you.

LoyalACFan
08-29-2013, 11:42 PM
^ You're overusing the Tommy Lee Jones meme :p

Gi1t
08-29-2013, 11:43 PM

Assassin’s Creed IV lead writer Darby McDevitt believes his team has created “the best pirate game ever made”.

“There are lots of upgrade options, the loop is all tied together with crafting, hunting, harpooning, looting other ships, getting wood, metal and money to upgrade yourself, your ship – you even have a hideout in this game. It’s all tied together very smartly, so that no system feels superfluous, so we hope at the end of the day it’s the best pirate game ever made.”

Source (http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2060579/assassins_creed_4_this_is_the_best_pirate_game_eve r_made_says_ubisoft.html)

Cue backlash. XD

A couple bonus points for having the sense to mention Windwaker though.

SixKeys
08-29-2013, 11:45 PM
^ You're overusing the Tommy Lee Jones meme :p

It's the first time I've used it. You're probably thinking of Sidspyker. ;)

LoyalACFan
08-29-2013, 11:50 PM
It's the first time I've used it. You're probably thinking of Sidspyker. ;)

Yeah, maybe... I confuse you guys a lot since you both used to have a satirical Haytham icon.

Farlander1991
08-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Yeah, maybe... I confuse you guys a lot since you both used to have a satirical Haytham icon.

Well, you could go with Don Draper = syd, hat is a taco = SixKeys analogy :D

dxsxhxcx
08-29-2013, 11:57 PM
you shouldn't look too much into it, IMO this is just a marketing strategy to grab as many new players they can by strongly advertise the "pirate" part of the game, people will hear the word "pirates" and will come running to see what this is about and a lot of them certainly won't care if this game is part of an ongoing story...

IMO if there's something to be worried about is them giving more focus to things that barely have anything to do with what AC is known about than its core pillars...

silvermercy
08-30-2013, 12:01 AM
you shouldn't look too much into it, IMO this is just a marketing strategy to grab as many new players they can by strongly advertise the "pirate" part of the game, people will hear the word "pirates" and will come running to see what this is about and a lot of them certainly won't care if this game is part of an ongoing story...
I think that's it. AC3 gave strong emphasis on the "American" aspect, this one advertises the pirate theme.

LoyalACFan
08-30-2013, 01:18 AM
I think that's it. AC3 gave strong emphasis on the "American" aspect, this one advertises the pirate theme.

And AC3 actually did forgo the Assassin aspect in favor of the American History aspect. It wasn't just marketing. The Creed wasn't even mentioned once, but you can bet your arse we met every single random irrelevant Patriot leader in the northern colonies. That's really my biggest fear for AC4, that they'll focus too much on the pirate stuff and not get back to the Creed roots enough.

Oleg l Kirrlov
08-30-2013, 02:21 AM

You must have forgot AC4's biggest competition...
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t448/tyromebiglips/legos_zpsff0022e3.jpg (http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/tyromebiglips/media/legos_zpsff0022e3.jpg.html)

projectpat06
08-30-2013, 07:14 AM
When people get worried about it not being an assassin game, they need to completely forget the idea that another assassin game will be just like AC1 strictly with assassinations. The assassin's creed aspect of all the games is there to make the main character seem close to some kind of super hero or legend of each time period and to add in fictional lore to build a fictional story within history. As fans, we should just come to expect that each setting will be unique but somehow the main character gets involved with the assassins.

With that said, I want a big pirate tale and lore in this game with the assassin's creed story seamlessly interwoven. One of AC3's problem was it never really incorporated that battle atmosphere we saw in the trailers. We never wondered upon a random battle of blue coats and red coats out in a field or an ambush by one side or the other in the woods. The game mechanics played mostly like all the other assassins creed games where we just went around following a poorly presented story assassinating a few targets and dealing with "guards" instead of soldiers in battle. The only battle portions we experienced really involved commanding troops or shooting a cannon...mehh.

I hope AC4 is the best pirate game and has the best pirate story bc AC3 failed in several ways of being the best American Revolution game/ story when it had a ton of potential. The assassin portion should be the conspiracy that secretly drives the story.

dxsxhxcx
08-30-2013, 09:02 AM
And AC3 actually did forgo the Assassin aspect in favor of the American History aspect. It wasn't just marketing. The Creed wasn't even mentioned once, but you can bet your arse we met every single random irrelevant Patriot leader in the northern colonies.

good point, and from what I can remember they stated several times that the American Revolution would only be the background for the Assassin vs Templar war, what IMO didn't happen...

projectpat06
08-30-2013, 09:44 AM
good point, and from what I can remember they stated several times that the American Revolution would only be the background for the Assassin vs Templar war, what IMO didn't happen...

I felt like we barely saw the war as well. It felt mostly like going around meeting people and doing chores for them

Farlander1991
08-30-2013, 11:00 AM

But, for the most part, it WAS a background. There was just a huge concentration of the Revolution events in Sequence 7 (followed by Connor being present at the signing of the Independence declaration >_< ), but that's about it, after that we don't directly participate in them until Monmouth. Including the Tea Party and Boston Massacre, only 8 out of 34 Connor's missions are actual historical events (6 being Revolution events)

overdidd
08-30-2013, 12:26 PM
"crafting, hunting, ......getting wood, ..."

So we'll be punching trees? Ok.

roostersrule2
08-30-2013, 12:27 PM
"crafting, hunting, ......getting wood, ..."

So we'll be punching trees? Ok.That's not funny you overdidd it lololololololololol

overdidd
08-30-2013, 12:34 PM
That's not funny you overdidd it lololololololololol

http://i.imgur.com/64PKcbO.jpg

Mr_Shade
08-30-2013, 12:41 PM
You must have forgot AC4's biggest competition...
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t448/tyromebiglips/legos_zpsff0022e3.jpg (http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/tyromebiglips/media/legos_zpsff0022e3.jpg.html)

That's a great game.. I loved it..

pacmanate
08-30-2013, 12:43 PM
That's a great game.. I loved it..

Hardly an AAA title.

roostersrule2
08-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Hardly an AAA title.Since when does a game have to be AAA to be good?

pacmanate
08-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Since when does a game have to be AAA to be good?

Saying "best pirate game ever" doesnt mean much when most pirate games are ****.

roostersrule2
08-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Saying "best pirate game ever" doesnt mean much when most pirate games are ****.Okay? I still don't get why it has to be AAA though?

pacmanate
08-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Okay? I still don't get why it has to be AAA though?

yolo

Mr_Shade
08-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Hardly an AAA title.
and..?

Some rave about games which are basically a bug fest..

Personal opinion ;)

roostersrule2
08-30-2013, 12:59 PM
yolo#hipsterswagphreshdouevensiftm8lolfgt1v1irl420 BLAZEIT

pacmanate
08-30-2013, 01:00 PM
#hipsterswagphreshdouevensiftm8lolfgt1v1irl420BLAZ EIT

tbh I don't even know why I said that, hence the Yolo. It gets me out of everyfin

roostersrule2
08-30-2013, 01:01 PM
tbh I don't even know why I said that, hence the Yolo. It gets me out of everyfinDoes it get you out of a Sharknado?

Speaking of Sharknadoes they should be included in AC IV if you want GOTY.

Mr_Shade
08-30-2013, 01:01 PM
tbh I don't even know why I said that, hence the Yolo. It gets me out of everyfin
You will have to try that next time I'm about to press the ban button..

Have an idea it won't work.. ;)

pacmanate
08-30-2013, 01:03 PM
You will have to try that next time I'm about to press the ban button..

Have an idea it won't work.. ;)

Well as long as it's not on me.

Ferrith
08-30-2013, 01:55 PM

Now that Mr McKermit confirmed that what we are getting next is actually a Pirate's Creed game, we can go our usual business - and I can see how "getting wood" would help upgrade himself.

Ureh
08-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Why do they have to keep stating the obvious? We already know they're the best. -_-

Shahkulu101
08-30-2013, 03:58 PM
When people say 'Pirates Creed' I get the urge to clatter them with my cazzo.

roostersrule2
08-30-2013, 04:00 PM
When people say 'Pirates Creed' I get the urge to clatter them with my cazzo.Cazzo's Creed.

Shahkulu101
08-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Cazzo's Creed.

What about AC2?

roostersrule2
08-30-2013, 04:03 PM
What about AC2?No that's 2nd Greatest Game Ever Creed.

Hans684
08-30-2013, 07:51 PM
If a AC game sett in the historical time period The Golden Age of Piracy makes it "Pirates Creed", then:

AC = Slowly walking bettwen buildings Creed.

AC2 = Banker's Creed.

ACB = Bank and taxes Creed Brotherhood.

ACR = Bank and taxes Creed Revolations Extended.

AC3 = Mohawk's Creed.

AC3L = Banker's Creed Female Edition.

AC4BF = Pirate's Creed.

Totally legit.

Wolfmeister1010
08-30-2013, 07:53 PM
If a AC game sett in the historical time period The Golden Age of Piracy makes it "Pirates Creed", then:

AC = Slowly walking bettwen buildings Creed.

AC2 = Banker's Creed.

ACB = Bank and takses Creed Brotherhood.

ACR = Bank and takses Creed Revolations Extended.

AC3 = Mohawk's Creed.

AC3L = Banker's Creed Female Edition.

AC4BF = Pirate's Creed.

Totally legit.

Are you trying to say "taxes"?

STDlyMcStudpants
08-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Doesn't say much LOL

FrankieSatt
08-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Thank you Darby McDevitt for confirming for me, which I already knew, and everyone else that Black Flag will be nothing more than a Pirate Game. I disagree with it being the Best AC game because a Pirate Game isn't an AC game, not for me.

Assassin_M
08-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Thank you Darby McDevitt for confirming for me, which I already knew, and everyone else that Black Flag will be nothing more than a Pirate Game. I disagree with it being the Best AC game because a Pirate Game isn't an AC game, not for me.
I have been expecting you...... What took you so long, fella?

ArabianFrost
08-30-2013, 10:05 PM

An AC game is basically a historical game with sneaking, stabbing and assassinations.

Pirates are part of history. You can sneak more than the mother of stealth AC herself- AC1, and we are back to the old school hidden blade with lots and lots of stabbing. Why are you complaining again?

Shahkulu101
08-30-2013, 10:09 PM
*Sigh* I am going to have to clatter you with my cazzo, FrankieSatt.

Assassin_M
08-30-2013, 10:10 PM
*Sigh* I am going to have to clatter you with my cazzo, FrankieSatt.
Can I watch?

Shahkulu101
08-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Can I watch?

You can join in...

FrankieSatt
08-30-2013, 10:30 PM
I have been expecting you...... What took you so long, fella?

I've been on Vacation for a week. I come back and see that what I've been saying is the truth.

I'm not saying a Pirate game is a bad decision, I'm saying a Pirate Game with the Assassin's Creed name is a bad decision. If they wanted to make this game they should have created a new game not bastardize the AC series and franchise by giving this game the AC name.

Assassin_M
08-30-2013, 10:33 PM
I've been on Vacation for a week. I come back and see that what I've been saying is the truth.
Well, welcome back... Also, that's a pretty hefty claim there, since a lot of what you're saying falls on the ridiculous :P

FrankieSatt
08-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Well, welcome back... Also, that's a pretty hefty claim there, since a lot of what you're saying falls on the ridiculous :P

UbiSoft is saying this is the "Best Pirate Game in History". Have I not been calling this a Pirate Game since the announcement of Black Flag?

Assassin_M
08-30-2013, 10:41 PM
UbiSoft is saying this is the "Best Pirate Game in History". Have I not been calling this a Pirate Game since the announcement of Black Flag?
No you were calling it pirate's creed... There's a difference. Who the hell doesn't know that this IS a pirate game?

Farlander1991
08-30-2013, 10:45 PM
If you look at the whole Naval thing as a replacement to AC1's Kingdom, Horse riding and Horse Combat (i.e. that being replaced by open sea, ship sailing and ship combat), theeeen.... there's absolutely nothing non-ACish in the game. So yes, you can sail and engage in battles. You can also stealthily swim to the ships and get rid of everybody there. How is that not AC? It takes all the three main pillars of the series (navigation, combat and stealth) and adapts them to the setting. Because, really, how dull a Caribbean setting would've been without a naval part, just the cities? Missed opportunity.

And if you don't like the setting, that's just fine, skip the game, the next one is most likely going to have a setting that's not so focused on Naval (since there are only so many places where you can do that). But, the matter of fact is, every AC game after the first one had elements based on the time period and setting (and main character) that were not exactly assassiny. Ezio's trilogy had city management, what that had to do with the core assassin gameplay? Nothing. In Ezio's trilogy you could also customize the color scheme of your robes any way you want, which is also a feature based on the colorfuness of the Renaissance. AC3 introduced hunting as part of the character heritage and something he would do due to his background (just as Ezio's city management), and, frankly, it's more based on the core AC pillars than city management ever were.

Basically, yes, it is a pirate game, due to the setting. It's also an Assassin's Creed game since it's got all the elements that make an AC game a,well, AC game. Adapted to the setting, yes. Doesn't make it any less of an AC game.

Shahkulu101
08-30-2013, 10:48 PM
If you look at the whole Naval thing as a replacement to AC1's Kingdom, Horse riding and Horse Combat (i.e. that being replaced by open sea, ship sailing and ship combat), theeeen.... there's absolutely nothing non-ACish in the game. So yes, you can sail and engage in battles. You can also stealthily swim to the ships and get rid of everybody there. How is that not AC? It takes all the three main pillars of the series (navigation, combat and stealth) and adapts them to the setting. Because, really, how dull a Caribbean setting would've been without a naval part, just the cities? Missed opportunity.

And if you don't like the setting, that's just fine, skip the game, the next one is most likely going to have a setting that's not so focused on Naval (since there are only so many places where you can do that). But, the matter of fact is, every AC game after the first one had elements based on the time period and setting (and main character) that were not exactly assassiny. Ezio's trilogy had city management, what that had to do with the core assassin gameplay? Nothing. In Ezio's trilogy you could also customize the color scheme of your robes any way you want, which is also a feature based on the colorfuness of the Renaissance. AC3 introduced hunting as part of the character heritage and something he would do due to his background (just as Ezio's city management), and, frankly, it's more based on the core AC pillars than city management ever were.

Basically, yes, it is a pirate game, due to the setting. It's also an Assassin's Creed game since it's got all the elements that make an AC game a,well, AC game. Adapted to the setting, yes. Doesn't make it any less of an AC game.
It's a damn shame that this post will be in vain...
I'm a poet and I don't even know it.

FrankieSatt
08-30-2013, 11:32 PM
No you were calling it pirate's creed... There's a difference. Who the hell doesn't know that this IS a pirate game?

What is the difference between Pirate's Creed and a Pirate game? It's the same thing, this is a Pirate Game with just enough AC for them to use the AC name, which makes it's Pirates Creed.

It might as well be a full blown pirate game and just drop the AC name, as there isn't enough of AC for it to be a real AC game. An AC game isn't just about game play elements, it's about location and feel and about the ancestor they are using.

UbiSoft has put AC game play into Splinter Cell Blacklist , the way that Sam Fisher now moves throughout the game. Does that make Splinter Cell Blacklist an AC game? NO.

It's more than just Game Play Mechanics that make the game part of the series.

Assassin_M
08-30-2013, 11:35 PM
What is the difference between Pirate's Creed and a Pirate game? It's the same thing, this is a Pirate Game with just enough AC for them to use the AC name, which makes it's Pirates Creed.

It might as well be a full blown pirate game and just drop the AC name, as there isn't enough of AC for it to be a real AC game. An AC game isn't just about game play elements, it's about location and feel and about the ancestor they are using.

UbiSoft has put AC game play into Splinter Cell Blacklist , the way that Sam Fisher now moves throughout the game. Does that make Splinter Cell Blacklist an AC game? NO.

Tell me how the location, feel and ancestor are not AC

LightRey
08-30-2013, 11:39 PM

I only read the first sentence, and that's all I'm going to answer:
That would be the part where it says 'creed'.

ze_topazio
08-30-2013, 11:48 PM
The first game was an assassin simulator, starting with the second game the series became a main character life simulator.

Legendz54
08-31-2013, 12:39 AM
AC4 on pax panel live now http://www.twitch.tv/pax/

Farlander1991
08-31-2013, 12:39 AM

Which, once again, is your subjective distaste of the setting in this particular matter. And you know, it's fine, to each their own, but it doesn't help you prove your point. At all.

And yes, gameplay and gameplay style IS very important to the series. Any series. That's what people are playing the game for anyway, that gameplay and gameplay style. And yes, you're right, derivation borrowed from another series (ala Blacklist from AC) doesn't change the whole concept, but, guess what, AC4 doesn't change the core concept either. It takes the naval side activity of AC3 and makes it a part of the main experience, yes, but we've already stated numerous times how that still stays true to AC gameplay concepts. Plus, speaking of the setting and feel, it's got a very immersive recreation of a particular historical setting, huge areas to explore, different historical personalities, and a main character that goes through a radical transformation throughout the game - something that every AC game has. Crusades, Renaissance, American Revolution - they all have a VERY distinct feel and are VERY different (just as the Caribbean is different from them), so changing up the nature of the setting to be distinct is, in fact, going WITH the principles of the series, NOT against it.

You have yet to give any proper argument as to why this isn't an AC game other than "pirates".

Jexx21
08-31-2013, 12:52 AM
i'm a pretty flower planted in a beer bottle

Hans684
08-31-2013, 08:34 AM
i'm a pretty flower planted in a beer bottle

bottle of rum*

Sushiglutton
08-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Have only played one pirate game (Monkey Island 2) and even though I enjoyed it AC4 will be better imo.

As for the "is this an AC game"-debate, I def think it is. It was clear from AC1 that the franchise could be set in all kinds of eras and settings with obv implications on gameplay. As long as there are assassins it's an AC game imo. If I had to mention one mechanic, I think the free climbing is the most important one to the franchise. I don't think this franchise is as strictly defined as some others, which is cool imo.

roostersrule2
08-31-2013, 09:46 AM
I used to think that this games biggest problem was that it was an AC game, now I'm thinking the exact opposite, I think this could be a real gem. I think if AC wasn't suffering from franchise fatigue this would be the dark horse for GOTY.

Jexx21
08-31-2013, 09:50 AM
what about the game shaping up to be the "greatest game in a while" GTA V?

(you already know I don't share that opinion >.<)

roostersrule2
08-31-2013, 10:00 AM
what about the game shaping up to be the "greatest game in a while" GTA V?

(you already know I don't share that opinion >.<)I said dark horse and that's providing the story is excellent, all promises are met and a ****load of luck.

Nothing will come close to GTA V.

silverASSASSIN79
08-31-2013, 11:02 AM
While I REALLY doubt the success as an Assassin's Creed game, I think that they've hit a bullseye with a great pirate game. What worries me is that it doesn't look like it has anything to do with assassins creed and it will just be roaming the Caribbean and killing people. How they will execute the present day gameplay is unknown to me. I just want the game to be like it was supposed to be before Revelations, you follow the creed and you actually do stuff that involves the other assassins. The stuff I saw in games prior to Revelations is what I want, solid story, solid characters and solid mechanics.

lothario-da-be
08-31-2013, 11:43 AM
While I REALLY doubt the success as an Assassin's Creed game, I think that they've hit a bullseye with a great pirate game. What worries me is that it doesn't look like it has anything to do with assassins creed and it will just be roaming the Caribbean and killing people. How they will execute the present day gameplay is unknown to me. I just want the game to be like it was supposed to be before Revelations, you follow the creed and you actually do stuff that involves the other assassins. The stuff I saw in games prior to Revelations is what I want, solid story, solid characters and solid mechanics.
IMO the gameplay of ac4 looks like its going to be 100% ac . We need good templars and a real brotherhood to make it complete. Ac3 lacked all 3, and that is what makes it a less good game then the others for me.

Jexx21
08-31-2013, 05:28 PM
AC3 had good Templars though.

It had the best Templars since AC1.

LoyalACFan
08-31-2013, 07:48 PM
AC3 had good Templars though.

It had the best Templars since AC1.

Good Templars (except Lee) but bad assassinations. From what we've seen of Julien's assassination, it looks pretty AC-like, optional objective notwithstanding. Overall I'm getting much more of a traditional AC vibe from AC4 footage than I ever did with AC3.

Jexx21
09-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Well, yea. But he didn't say bad assassinations, he said bad templars.