PDA

View Full Version : Academy's Gameplay - Part 2

Aza404
08-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Brought to you by Dev_SimonV

Before you read this, make sure you’ve checked out Part 1 of Academy’s reveal (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/790858) where I talk about the different Houses and the creatures that go with them.

This time, I’ll be talking about the mages themselves and Academy’s fortunes.

Phased

There’s a couple of good support Mages, mainly with Magic Channel and the new Spell Resist. Those guys aren’t there to fight. Speaking of which, some other Mages will avoid enemy creatures completely through an ability called Phased. A Phased creature cannot be attacked by another creature, BUT they can’t block either. If your opponent wants to deal with them, he will have to use spells or fortunes. A Phased creature is good for offense, but don’t try and use them defensively!

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/F2P/MMDOC/Gameplay_article/S03_Cre_Aca_009_resized.png

Nethermancers

Some other mages decided to become Nethermancers (not to be confused with Necromancers!), a forbidden practice in the Seven Cities. They seek to explore Void magic (a sub-category of Prime magic), aware of the risk that failing to control its power can cause one to be consumed by it.
In terms of mechanics, a Nethermancer will try to empty their opponent’s library of cards by milling their opponent (milling is the term used for any effect that makes cards go directly from your library to your graveyard.)

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/F2P/MMDOC/Gameplay_article/S03_Cre_Aca_023_resized.png

Fortunes help this archetype a lot, but it’s impossible to create a pure fortune milling deck.
Creatures trigger most of the milling effects, so to play this strategy effectively you will need a strong presence on the battleground. We were extra careful with this archetype to ensure that it revolved around creatures, and was not purely taking place in the Nethermancer’s hand. It creates a fun twist on a mechanic that’s not particularly appreciated.

New Counter Strategies

With that, we had to introduce solutions to milling and graveyard recursion. Each faction has cards that interact with the graveyard now so we decided to offset that new theme with cards that counter graveyard-centered strategy, including milling.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/F2P/MMDOC/Gameplay_article/Rise_of_the_Nethermancers_resized.jpg

Fortunes in Academy aren’t all about mill. They also have the best fortunes to increase your magic level, and some great fetch cards for spells - especially their Unique, which can fetch spells from your opponent’s library to play for yourself!

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/F2P/MMDOC/Gameplay_article/S03_For_Aca_004_resized.png

So there you have it, Academy in a nutshell!
Stay tuned for more spoilers!

By Dev_SimonV

Heroesfan123
08-29-2013, 02:06 PM
So, new OTKs, at least 2(Nethersnows and Ignatius), both of them boring as snow. Oh, and I haven't encountered Naga cards that interact with the graveyard, does that mean we get some?

Quick question about phased, can they be hit by indirect attacks that they don't need to be targeted for?

svilleneuve
08-29-2013, 02:15 PM
So, new OTKs, at least 2(Nethersnows and Ignatius), both of them boring as snow. Oh, and I haven't encountered Naga cards that interact with the graveyard, does that mean we get some?

Quick question about phased, can they be hit by indirect attacks that they don't need to be targeted for?

They get splash damage and you can still cast fireballs on them, you just can't attack them. But you can attack through them too, if it's the only creature in a row, you can attack the hero directly. Phased is both an advantage as it is a disadvantage.

As for mill, we took every precaution to make sure that the archetype is unplayable without creatures. You need so many cards to support your mill that stalling the game or OTK-ing isn't as efficient. That's what we aimed for.

hydramarine
08-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Yay for giving mill a faction and home.

Now I hope we can all forget about that annoying Necro mill decks for good.

Pjovejas
08-29-2013, 02:18 PM
hahahaha, We have crying threads about OTK/slowpoke/mill, now I expect new wave of cries to come :D

VampFury
08-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Phased looks interesting.

I don't like mill strategies in any game so I am not thrilled by that ability...

It is good to have more counters to graveyard recursion and mill :D

Can't wait for new expansion!

SoulFourSoul
08-29-2013, 02:40 PM
This game reminds me a lot of MTG, which isn't a bad thing at all <3 I'm an old school MTG player, started in Revised and ended in Saviors of Kamigawa. I don't play any MTG games anymore or any other card games besides this one. You've done such a great job with this game, thank you. As for the new expansion it looks like it's really gonna shake things up.. There's gonna be a lot of new deck types and I'm looking forward to seeing how players adjust to them including myself. The new mechanics explained here are extremely powerful and sounds like these will change everything we know in DoC. I for one am just in a grinning mood when I read that their will be cards that will be able to play spells out of someone's deck..:o lol. I know it's gonna be great to use but at the same time I know I'm gonna love to hate it lol.

Pjovejas
08-29-2013, 02:53 PM
I for one am just in a grinning mood when I read that their will be cards that will be able to play spells out of someone's deck..:o lol. I know it's gonna be great to use but at the same time I know I'm gonna love to hate it lol.

Like Bribery in those old times in MtG? (those, who complain about Puppet master should have tried Bribery, when Bu Controll was in it's peak of glory) :) (sigh... those old good times... :))

gr1ffius
08-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Very noob question, what is "milling"?

zenithale
08-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Very noob question, what is "milling"?
That's something really strategic, you put your opponent's cards from Deck to Grave.

For example :
-Because of this sh**** Stone/Paper/Scissors system I was obliged to add some cards to counter your Deck! But today I will win against you, for sure!
Few turns later...
-Hahaha ! Too bad for you, look at your Grave!
-%#*-/?! ! :mad:

AbisalAeneas
08-29-2013, 04:10 PM
I love a bit more of background and the introduction of new mechanics better than the same things but with better stats in epic rarity. BTW, nobody has notice that the third image is Sandro? One of the most b4stard and loved heroe from all the might and magic series! I now that the Sandro H&M 6 is not the old Sandro (is more an eastern egg) . So maybe the necro heroe is him (in that case I expect a badass ability for him!!)
http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Sandro_(Enroth)

ElkazFATE
08-29-2013, 04:49 PM
GJ Ubi. Really nice new fraction that will change a lot in this game. I hope that you will fix all bugs and crash heartstone:)

pod11
08-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Will you by any chance make some improvements to how necromancer fortunes work?

I mean this theme of fortunes that are about returning creatures form graveyard, will you possible make it more cost efficient somehow?

Up until now whole necro theme was practically unused becouse non-resource cost is wayy to high( discarding card+using the fortune to just return creature to hand, or sacrificing other creature+fortune to also just return to hand).

Will you improve this aspect of necro to make it usefull? for now necromancy decks..dont use necromancy fortunes becouse its inefficient...

razcrux
08-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Recursion isn't useless, it is actually extremely powerful. Trash your 1-cost creature from hand to get back Atropos, who then also get's back 2 creatures when played or recover your Banshee and play it again to kill on summon, or a Spitting Spider to poison something all over again... The key is using the recursion to get back cards that themselves that have strong "on summon" effects.

I "think" the opening post made a hint that all factions will have anti-OTK/fortune lock options, if so: this will be a very happy day! I really hope this will come in the form of an Event, since that is easiest for all heroes to include and you know it comes up every X number of turns in rotation, and won't clog your deck either.

Mill that relies on creatures is fine, so long as mill doesn't also imply locking your opponent from being able to do anything for X number of turns, then mill is a fine, fun and viable deck type.

All in all, the expansion is sounding really great.

ulpsz
08-29-2013, 06:59 PM
interesting,.................... just dying to see the fortune that fetches a spell from your opponent's library ...

Clementx
08-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Wow, this is getting worse and worse. They are adding more ways to deal damage without overcoming your opponent's creatures, creatures that resist spell damage, and more ways to make epic spells the card which decides the match.

I am now certain that the devs don't actually know anything about how their game plays.

AbisalAeneas
08-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Don't panic! At least let's see the new cards before hanging the devs!!! XDDD

HiddenGrounds
08-29-2013, 10:00 PM
More and more interested in Academy now!

We need more Hippo Warriors though. Lots of Hippos. ;)

Psychobabble.au
08-30-2013, 03:10 AM
That's something really strategic, you put your opponent's cards from Deck to Grave.

For example :
-Because of this sh**** Stone/Paper/Scissors system I was obliged to add some cards to counter your Deck! But today I will win against you, for sure!
Few turns later...
-Hahaha ! Too bad for you, look at your Grave!
-%#*-/?! ! :mad:

nonononono - that is NOT what milling does. Putting the (unknown) top card(s) from your opponent's library has just as much chance of digging them closer to their powerful cards as it does of removing them. Except in those rare circumstances when you know what's on top of your opponent's library, the actual cards you remove into the graveyard are IRRELEVANT when evaluating milling. This is a very important point, because not understanding it causes people do to strictly incorrect things like play milling cards in a non-dedicated mill deck because they think "oh sweet, I can kill my opponent's cool cards before they even hit the battlefield". doing that is ALWAYS WRONG.

The reason milling can work is that it becomes a win condition if you remove your opponent's entire libary. It's a little slower here than in MTG given the mechanics of the game, but it still potentially works. If your opponent has no cards left, they can't beat you. "simple" as that. But every card that you mill before the last one has ZERO value. You have done literally nothing by milling, in a strict sense, while they still have a library left.

RogatyDiabel
08-30-2013, 06:04 AM
Aza will be there The starter academy deck avilable in shop for gold?

Aza404
08-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Aza will be there The starter academy deck avilable in shop for gold?

I don't have any info on that yet.

Banehollow89
08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks Aza for the previews, can we have spoilers for old factions, new heroes or interesting creatures/fortunes/abilities and when can we expect it? :)

shown1980
08-30-2013, 10:39 AM
so amazing it will be a great game and it will be very joyfull
is it launched ?
i will download this game do you have it's url ?

Rajasthan Tours (http://www.rajasthan-holidays.net/)
India Tour (http://www.memorableindia.com)

Aza404
08-30-2013, 10:51 AM
@Banehollow89: maybe in the future preview. Not sure yet ;)

@Shown1980: you can download and play the game for free at http://www.duelofchampions.com/en/index.aspx (http://www.duelofchampions.com/en/index.aspx)

zenithale
08-30-2013, 01:09 PM
nonononono - that is NOT what milling does. Putting the (unknown) top card(s) from your opponent's library has just as much chance of digging them closer to their powerful cards as it does of removing them.(...)
;) Why are you so flustered? I just gave an... example of a possible situation! For sure, sometimes milling can be rather useless, but sometimes it can discard key/Unique cards. Just a question of luck.

NicotineJones
09-06-2013, 02:02 PM
But every card that you mill before the last one has ZERO value. You have done literally nothing by milling, in a strict sense, while they still have a library left.

This is obviously untrue in a game with tutors and unique cards.

Heroesfan123
09-07-2013, 08:27 PM
So, when will we get to see some Naga cards already?