PDA

View Full Version : The heart of Might and Magic...

SadFerret
08-29-2013, 08:12 AM
...Has always been, at least for me, the sense of FUN.

It's never been about realism, highly balanced gameplay or serious drama, it's just about having fun. It's oddball and silly. In comparison to the grimdark games these days it's refreshing to play something that doesn't take itself too seriously.

I hope the Legacy team continues this tradition and adds some of the bizarre humor that's so prelevant in the series. I'll be terribly sad if there isn't a single Monty Python and Star Trek reference. :p

HEF2011
08-29-2013, 09:58 AM
I agree with most of the things you have written but can you give the forum an example of how a Monty Python or Star Trek reference might be used today in a game like Might & Magic X: Legacy?

Reihnil
08-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Don't worry about fun. I made the mistake of peering in the game files and yeah. There will be a ton of fun.
Actually, no need to go look into those files. Just Sorpigal has a few hints of what awaits. Really. It shouldn't be a problem, at all.
I actually wished it was just a tad bit more serious, but that's just me.

krazijoe
08-29-2013, 09:34 PM
No barrels, no fun...

forgottenl
08-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Don't worry about fun. I made the mistake of peering in the game files and yeah. There will be a ton of fun.
Actually, no need to go look into those files. Just Sorpigal has a few hints of what awaits. Really. It shouldn't be a problem, at all.
I actually wished it was just a tad bit more serious, but that's just me.

Seriousness has been overdone lately. If a modern video game is humurous is usually unintentional.

fbdbh
08-30-2013, 07:41 AM
I agree with most of the things you have written but can you give the forum an example of how a Monty Python or Star Trek reference might be used today in a game like Might & Magic X: Legacy?

References are the easiest thing to do.

Might & Magic VI was full of pop-culture references, the blacksmiths were named after the Nine Princes of Amber, you could meet Piter Harkonnen, the activation codes in the Tomb of VARN were kcops, yoccm, aruhu, krik, yttocs... they're not very subtle, but they made me smile.

SadFerret
08-30-2013, 07:47 AM
If a modern video game is humurous is usually unintentional.

Oh, there's plenty of THAT...

HEF2011
08-30-2013, 09:41 AM
References are the easiest thing to do.

Might & Magic VI was full of pop-culture references, the blacksmiths were named after the Nine Princes of Amber, you could meet Piter Harkonnen, the activation codes in the Tomb of VARN were kcops, yoccm, aruhu, krik, yttocs... they're not very subtle, but they made me smile.

Yes, I understand that.
How can any of those pop references from Star trek or Monty Python be done today?

SadFerret
08-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Yes, I understand that.
How can any of those pop references from Star trek or Monty Python be done today?

I'm not sure what you mean. Why can't they be made just like before?

Masterluck86
08-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Some subtle things like the code for the great pyramid in MM5 or the passwords for the Varnpyramid in MM6 could work. I also would not be surprised if something like that is in the game.

kochanski
08-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Joke teller in town is a good indicator of things to come, it'll make you laugh, it'll make you think, wonder if there will be obelisks to hunt for?

A training academy with old school ghouls/rats would be awesome (even if it was like a rare olympics)

Don't worry, I wont make you kill rats in a sewer...

Just spiders in a well, MM team yaay - looking forward to more

Just one cheat - coconuts - you could rule the world, mwa ha ha, I wish hiring Felipe gave you coconuts...

kochanski
08-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Hal P'ak !

The search for Al P'aq... just depends on how you spell it,