PDA

View Full Version : To my fellow mm6+ fans

speedreal
08-28-2013, 04:38 PM
We all paid to be involved in making the next Might and Magic game the best it could be.

I know that the first and most major improvement that we see would be a free movement system. So we had to say as much, it's why we are here.

The development team have stated clearly the game will be tile based system and will not change. We need to focus on making that tile based system as good as it can be.

The turn based combat goes hand in hand with the tile based movement. It will not change to another combat system. Focus on making it as good as can be.

The points above have been made by us, seen by the community and development team and been answered. We can't really ask for more.

The infighting starting in the community will not help this game in any way and will start to devalue the great feedback being offered.

I think everyone wants the same thing from this game in the end;

To kick down dungeon doors. Slaughter monsters whole sale. Then take their treasure and level up so we can do it even better next time.

Wendryl
08-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Well said, I'm a Might & Magic 6 fan but I love the tile based system.
Thanks to it, dungeons look like puzzles and are very amazing to explore (far more than in M&M 6, I believe).
What bothers people, I think, is the lack of freedom outside the town. We all expected a beautiful and wide world to explore, and we actually are stuck in a big outdoor dungeon.
For me, lack of immersion is the main problem of this game, so I have opened a thread to find a solution which implies that the grid based system remains in place:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/790740-Some-wishes

This is the link to the discussion, if you are interested
(and if you are a true warrior... because there is a lot to read^^)

xfysxbowtie
08-29-2013, 01:34 AM
Well said, I'm a Might & Magic 6 fan but I love the tile based system.
Thanks to it, dungeons look like puzzles and are very amazing to explore (far more than in M&M 6, I believe).
What bothers people, I think, is the lack of freedom outside the town. We all expected a beautiful and wide world to explore, and we actually are stuck in a big outdoor dungeon.
For me, lack of immersion is the main problem of this game, so I have opened a thread to find a solution which implies that the grid based system remains in place:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/790740-Some-wishes

This is the link to the discussion, if you are interested
(and if you are a true warrior... because there is a lot to read^^)

I'm not sure what the immersion problem is. I love being able to play this game with the mouse and eat pizza at the same time.

But I agree that the focus needs to be on working within the confines of the concrete designs, and making the best out of it. Making the right thing the easy thing.

Wendryl
08-29-2013, 02:23 AM
I'm not sure what the immersion problem is. I love being able to play this game with the mouse and eat pizza at the same time.

No, I have no problem with turn based combat, nor grid based movement. But this gameplay doesn't mean the outdoor has to be so narrow and oppresive, with all these rocks that kill the landscape and all these motionless guys who ruin the immersion. The outdoor looks like a dungeon with no ceiling, to me... That's disturbing^^
So I try to find a solution to change that without touching the gameplay (which I enjoy (...and which we cannot touch anyway xD))

And, Hey! I love to eat pizza while playing, too!! ;)

knutem
08-30-2013, 11:12 AM
I know that the first and most major improvement that we see would be a free movement system. So we had to say as much, it's why we are here.

We ? You do not speak on my behalf. Its pretty arrogant to write something like that.
I paid for this early access because it was going to be turnbased and not a free movement system. I did my research before I pressed the buy button.

But I could always do it like you 'We all paid to be involved in making the next Might and Magic game the best it could be.
I know that the first and most major improvement that we see would be a improved turnbased movement system. "

speedreal
08-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Knutem, i am sorry.

Reading this board I see a lot of infighting in the community. two distinct groups seem to be forming, a MM1-5 group and a MM6+ (MM6-8 might be the better term.)

I am technically part of the latter group. My first might and magic game was MM6 and it was the best and most fun CRPG i had played. I'v bought every sequel to it based on my love for that game. I also bought games earlier in the series but found them too outdated after playing MM6 to enjoy them fully. part of what made them feel that way was the tile based and turn based systems, gaming had moved on and those systems weren't in fashion any more.

My original post was an appeal to a group within the community to accept the game for what it is and try to make the most of it within that scope.

Knutem, do you really consider your self part of the MM6+ group? If not, my post wasn't to you and therefor did not speak for you. If you do, I congratulate you on your open mindedness and hope you can see i was only attempting to encourage it in others.

Kuraiya
08-30-2013, 02:58 PM
I agree that it serves no purpose to keep insulting each other, but sometimes it's really hard to not answer in an aggressive manner when you keep reading the same stuff over and over and it doesn't involve any constructive criticism. I can't presume to know what every other gamer likes or dislikes and that it's why I never say "we" like this or "we" dislike that, I can only speak for myself. So it is very grating for me to see posts all over like this: "we think this game will fail", "we think free roaming is better, you (devs) should scrap all your work to accommodate us".

I personally have played MM3 to MM9 and I have enjoyed both gameplay mechanics. Free roaming didn't make the game better (or worse) for me, I just felt it different. For me the improvements to the franchise were the promotion feature, the new skill system, the alchemy system and other details like coach and boat travels and such. I did miss some things of the older games: the mirror portals with their town keywords (and some secret places), the fact that time didn't pass until you moved without having to pause the game, fewer enemies (I never liked the "hordes" from later games), goofier art, more and better riddles/puzzles (I still think later MMs were more combat oriented that riddle/puzzle solving), little things like writing on the walls and that is off the top of my head.

speedreal
08-30-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm sorry that people a problem with my use of the word "we." I ask that you please consider the context of its use.

The title of this thread defines a group that I wish to address and that I feel I'm part of that group.
Because i was addressing a group of like minded people the use of the word we defines who I'm talking too not who I'm speaking for.

Dalogar_
08-30-2013, 08:04 PM
As the developers have asked, comments and suggestions really must work within the grid-based framework. They simply can't afford a complete rework at this point in development. Although I myself prefer free roam, I can appreciate the value of grid system, and I am happy to support a game that could bring back the M&M CRPG series. Instead suggestions should focus on enhancing the classic grid system with modern capabilities (we're not working with 90s tech anymore).

I've been thinking the mouse look system (right click and drag) could be expanded such that it could (optionally) be used to control facing direction. For example, if I were to mouse look to the left and then try to walk forward, it would move in the direction I'm currently looking, not where I was facing before looking around. And perhaps other actions could be taken similarly. It seems this could give a sense of freedom while maintaining the current grid system.