PDA

View Full Version : Feedback for Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

MosesPJ
08-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Hey.

I just need to give you some of my thoughts I've been thinking of during the gameplay videos of Black Flag.

It is that the ships are moving so unrealistically fast, from the start when you start sailing. I know the gameplay is fast phased but this things are the best about the freaking game, being on the ocean! Enjoy the feeling of sailing, visiting places in a huge world. I'll tell you an example of a great game with feeling of the ships, Pirates of the Caribbean. Well, at least it did felt good at the time.

During this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0ppfJ9Mv71Y#t=160 it can be shown that when he is jumping on his ship and goes off it really goes fast. That is what I don't like.

plentybeef
08-27-2013, 12:22 PM
There is something circulating around about this and the point being the ship going fast makes travel faster as your only means of travel is a ship. But I can see your cause for concern. But take advantage of this, you'll be knee deep in adventure.

pacmanate
08-27-2013, 02:05 PM
I can see why it bothers you, but gameplay over realism

MosesPJ
08-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the kind replies!
Maybe you're right, I'll just get use to it, it's probably for the best as you are saying!

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 02:42 PM
I remember in AC3, Mr Faulkner said that the Aquila would fetch up to like 13 knots or something. That is what a fast ship would have been back then in real life.

However, in game, the top speed of the Aquila was 60 knots. If they went the realistic route, you would NOT like it. When I first saw that vid, I thought the same things but then I realized that they did it for the sake of gameplay. Just like everyone else in this thread, I say gameplay before realism.

You'll get used to it. :)

Farlander1991
08-27-2013, 02:51 PM
And here's the thing about realistic sailing. Games with those (like Akella's Sea Dogs/PotC/Age of Pirates that I enjoyed a lot) also have 2x, 4x, 8x, maybe even 16x (don't remember now) fast forward options. Which are used like 80% of the time. You usually switch to 1x when you want either to just enjoy a scenery for a bit (but you still will fast forward after you're done because it takes a LONG time to get somewhere), or if there's a really huge "OH ****!!!!" situation in battle. Even AC4 which took AC3's fast-paced naval system decided to introduce a fast-forward (mostly for travel purposes, since the combat is fast-paced enough).

And considering the size of the world of AC4, if you want slow sailing (which will be faster than actual sailing speed anyway, but still) you can always go half-sails, that seems to be enough.

LoyalACFan
08-27-2013, 03:41 PM
I seem to recall Ashraf saying it would take thirty minutes to sail across the map. Even if that's at the slowest speed, that's plenty of ocean space to take in the scenery and whatnot, at any speed.

ProletariatPleb
08-27-2013, 03:46 PM
I think he means the same that's been bothering me, ship doesn't seem to go from slow to faster pace instead it suddenly starts moving fast...no small 'buildup' kinda thing.

Wolfmeister1010
08-27-2013, 04:37 PM
I think he means the same that's been bothering me, ship doesn't seem to go from slow to faster pace instead it suddenly starts moving fast...no small 'buildup' kinda thing.

A small aesthetic price to pay for better gameplay

AnthonyA85
08-27-2013, 04:42 PM
One thing I noticed about the ship demos that we've seen so far that i'm a bit iffy about:

There doesn't seem to be a wind indicator like there was in AC3. Sure, there's an arrow on the minimap (that i'm guessing is wind direction), but no indication that sailing into the wind will slow you down like it did in the previous game. At 03:21 of that video, the Jackdaw is sailing west, and the wind is blowing east, yet the ship doesn't even slow down.

I'm hoping that this is just something they haven't implemented yet, and will get around to doing so.

ProletariatPleb
08-27-2013, 04:48 PM
A small aesthetic price to pay for better gameplay
Perhaps, but it still bothers me.

roostersrule2
08-27-2013, 06:26 PM
I think he means the same that's been bothering me, ship doesn't seem to go from slow to faster pace instead it suddenly starts moving fast...no small 'buildup' kinda thing.Acceleration?

Haha my post count goes 3...2...1...0