PDA

View Full Version : Feedback as requested

TheMoorkh
08-26-2013, 02:21 PM
So I did finally get to play some last night. After I circumvented that codec trouble, I actually got some feedback to share. Much has probably been mentioned already - if so, let this serve to drive home the sentiment.

Character generation:
- the choice of stock character portraits seems a bit limited. A choice of colours (similar to BG maybe) might alleviate that.
- simply allocating a fixed number of ability points seems a bit stale. Previous M&M games had to option to freely roll and re-roll scores - this could be re-implemented reasonably easily.

Movement:
- I’m all for tile-based movement. However, your decision to pair tile-based movement with non-tile-based graphics assets leads to some irritation. Even in the first few tiles, movement is sometimes prevented by a barrel that just slightly crosses into the room between two tiles. Care should be taken that the graphics always make it obvious if movement is possible or restricted.

UI/Interactions:
- the lack of interactions with the environment makes the latter seem much more generic and sterile than it ought to be. Mousing over the landscape should offer some feedback, even if only cosmetic. Maybe some tooltip-like scrap of background about what is seen, or just making the tavern sign swing by clicking on it. Examples: Write some background info about the tavern/shop/npc you are visiting. Give some feedback to the user even when attempting unopenable doors, empty barrels or flavour NPCs and shops.
- Resolution support. Nuff said.
- Let us enter notes on the automap. As it is, it isn’t very useful. Also, buildings and obstacles should be recognisable as such therein.
- The frame graphics are really nice, if a bit limited to the bottom of the screen. Why not make them useful? Make the frame all around the world display and let dragons, etc. double as buttons or indicators.
- Why hide the “rest” button in the inventory? Could easily be integrated into the main view.
- The font size for alerts such as “xxx is no longer poisoned” seems excessive.

Graphics:
- Day/night cycles are too fast and the changes to abrupt - days should easily last between two and four times as long. Why not make the changes gradual, and certainly not happening while the player is standing still, but while the party is moving?

Combat:
- melee attack button sporadically disappears and then needs to be dragged back from the spellbook (what a place to locate the attack buttons in!)

Overall, though, it's so far quite what I was hoping for - thanks!

Hope this helps.

TheMoorkh
08-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Ok, here's more:

Automap:
- it currently just displays floor tiles on a black background - this is really hard to read/interpret.
- blocked tiles really need to be displayed in some form - as it is now, you cannot distinguish them from tiles you simply haven't been to.

Bugs:
- I cannot recruit the cook. Something seems to be off with the tavernkeep's dialogue.
- coral priestesses will buff one another when not in a direct line from me until they run out of mana instead of moving to range attack.

VormulacUnsleep
08-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Movement:
- I’m all for tile-based movement. However, your decision to pair tile-based movement with non-tile-based graphics assets leads to some irritation. Even in the first few tiles, movement is sometimes prevented by a barrel that just slightly crosses into the room between two tiles. Care should be taken that the graphics always make it obvious if movement is possible or restricted.

This I can definitely agree with. I love the fact that we have a grid based game but its visual representation in the gameworld is lacking.

UI/Interactions:
- the lack of interactions with the environment makes the latter seem much more generic and sterile than it ought to be. Mousing over the landscape should offer some feedback, even if only cosmetic. Maybe some tooltip-like scrap of background about what is seen, or just making the tavern sign swing by clicking on it. Examples: Write some background info about the tavern/shop/npc you are visiting. Give some feedback to the user even when attempting unopenable doors, empty barrels or flavour NPCs and shops.

+1. The world feels a bit stale at the moment, being able to have a bit more interaction with it would be nice.

Graphics:
- Day/night cycles are too fast and the changes to abrupt - days should easily last between two and four times as long. Why not make the changes gradual, and certainly not happening while the player is standing still, but while the party is moving?

Since each turn takes a set amount of time it would be nice if this was better represented in the world rather than the sudden transitions.