PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in a commons-only tournament?

coinmagic45
08-26-2013, 03:12 AM
The title says it all. I am considering running a tournament where only commons (except the hero, of course) are allowed. That would even the playing field so even a newcomer could win. How much interest is there in such a tournament? Other ideas I have are:

1. Only commons are allowed
2. Only commons + uncommons are allowed
3. Only uncommons are allowed (no commons even); this would lead to some very weird decks
4. No epics are allowed
5. All cards are allowed except a banned list of many of the "top" cards (MIght of Nature, Forbidden Flame, Throne, etc.)

Also, if I do run this tournament, I do plan to participate. I hope that is not a problem for anyone. Please post here if you like any of these ideas.

I am also looking for ideas of how the tournament should be run. Would you prefer a single or double elimination tournament, or perhaps a round-robin and then the highest seeds go on to the single or double elimination tournament?

Thanks!
Mark

majin622
08-26-2013, 08:24 AM
i suggest 2 as it will still be fair for newbies and vets and maybe a single elimination is enough in case this became popular than you can run it over and over again

venzi0
08-26-2013, 10:40 AM
How about : Only commons+uncommons and only 1 rare or epic what cannot be uniq. +bann some uncommons like splitter, blackskull goblin etc. ( 1 from every fraction)

coinmagic45
08-26-2013, 12:00 PM
i suggest 2 as it will still be fair for newbies and vets and maybe a single elimination is enough in case this became popular than you can run it over and over again

I agree that it could be something that could be run over and over again. If it is popular, then I had an idea to make a 5-week league out of it, too, where your points from each week accumulate and there is a "tournament of champions" at the end. Also, whichever hero wins each week would be banned for the remainder of the tournament. That way, if there turns out to be one hero that is significantly better than the rest, it would be gone after the 1st week.

How about : Only commons+uncommons and only 1 rare or epic what cannot be uniq. +bann some uncommons like splitter, blackskull goblin etc. ( 1 from every fraction)

My issue with limiting it to a single rare or epic is that this is difficult to enforce. Each player would need to carefully watch their opponent's cards and count the number of rares/epics to ensure they are not cheating. If it was simply commons + uncommons, then that is much easier: if you see a rare or epic, then report them. I do like the idea of banning certain uncommons.

majin622
08-26-2013, 09:17 PM
I agree that it could be something that could be run over and over again. If it is popular, then I had an idea to make a 5-week league out of it, too, where your points from each week accumulate and there is a "tournament of champions" at the end. Also, whichever hero wins each week would be banned for the remainder of the tournament. That way, if there turns out to be one hero that is significantly better than the rest, it would be gone after the 1st week..

better make the rule simple so people won't be on their toes trying to figure out how many rare or if a ban card has been played. with commons and uncommons, they only need to check the color of the card to know if the other one is cheating or not

My issue with limiting it to a single rare or epic is that this is difficult to enforce. Each player would need to carefully watch their opponent's cards and count the number of rares/epics to ensure they are not cheating. If it was simply commons + uncommons, then that is much easier: if you see a rare or epic, then report them. I do like the idea of banning certain uncommons

xRoni
08-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Commons+uncommons and bo3 and a swiss format(not in game but in challonge for example allowed for alot more players) is a good idea. I would like to play in tournament like this as i dont have time to run tornament by myself(work+school in next week) maybe i will try to figure out something when i have more time for this. Generally i think every tournament option is a good idea becuse its alot more fun to play than regular games/jackpot/swiss(in game)