PDA

View Full Version : Strategical improvement - the group roster

milanovic1979
08-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I like this game alot and have been recently thinking about a new
feature that could improve the strategical side of the battles.

Enemies allign themselves in front of the party and I simply
don't like the fact that my squishy mage gets involved into
the fight head-on. It would be much cooler to put the mage behind
some stronger group member. Melee attacks would then
first have to cut through the first line of defense,
before they reach the members in the back.

Therefore, I miss the feature to allign the group according
to their current abilities. For example, it should be possible
to rearange the group order within 2 lines such as:

- X - X -
- X - X -

or

- X X X -
- - X - -

and not only

- X X X X -

The members in the back could be harder to hit and/or receive melee attack
penalties, but still be able to execute ranged attacks and cast spells.
Also monsters attacking from the sides and the back could hit them without
problems. If anyone can aggree with me, I have made a long list of rules
that I want to share. This could also be my first mod ;) Cheers!

frozenknight67
08-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Yep, I am pretty sure I remember in earlier M&M games and Wizardry games as well, your characters fought in a front and back rank so you put your muscle in front and your casters and missile slingers in the back row.

xfysxbowtie
08-25-2013, 04:11 PM
No, this is wrong. Very very non-Might&Magic. Always the characters were in a single row. To change that is to change Might & Magic into a different game.

A betters solution is to have and use the proper Combat Mastery spells to control the enemy as best you can. Not to change the game into something it shouldn't be.

Mirae11
08-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Are there any mechanics like they were in previous instalations - some creatures focus on your freemage, ranger, defender or dwarf, elf and so on? I am not sure if there is such a mechanic and if there is none, I would prefer having a roster. But there wont be one. Simple like that.

Ryalu
08-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Well 2 out of 4 classes can learn taunt.

Angel23Fist
08-26-2013, 05:47 PM
3 out of 4 classes...

group roster is not needed, its not M&Mish. M&MX is easy enough (atleast the content we have (including ghosts)).
M&MX provides you with lots of monster controll spells (roots, pushbacks, stasis...)

If you want a roster on top of that...well, then the game becomes a no brainer hack and slash.
I enjoy the tactics to the game like it is.

milanovic1979
09-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Thats interesting. Could have sworn more people would support the idea ;P
I just hate my mages being mashed up potatoes after a fight.
But its fun also without it. Always loved M&M the way it was ;)

And I remember there are some mobs that really want to nuke
your priest, but after MM5 I believe...

Thanks for the replies!

sebastienrivas
09-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Interesting, interesting and very old school too,

From gameplay experience and assumption is that the mechanic in place seems to be a random target aim unless I am wrong of course.
While your idea is interesting and makes lots of sense. It would ask the dev to re-write the fundamentals of mechanics already in place.
I wish your idea to come live someday but as for MM XL I dont think it can come in a very near future.
Reason being I assume that not only do you have to create the design and mechanic for your party but also RE-write all your NPC monsters mechanics or they will keep hitting the guys in the back of the party while using swords/dagger and other melee weapons.
That is why I wish I could answer your poll in positive manner because it sounds like a very interesting idea while unless I am wrong it has been a feature in M&M series but has been used for many old school RPGs and also in my assumption it would ask for wayyyy too much effort from the dev and a good potential for an unintentional delay in the release of the game.
Developing a game can be very time consuming depending if you have the muscles to bring a large group of devers onboard or not, and that all depends on finances or how the publisher percieves/understabd how a course of action is necessary or financially superfluous.

sebastienrivas
09-20-2013, 02:48 PM
while unless I am wrong it has been a feature in M&M series but has been used for many old school RPGs

I meant while unless I am wrong, it has NOT been a feature in M&M series.....

Kmanfree
09-20-2013, 04:42 PM
I meant while unless I am wrong, it has NOT been a feature in M&M series.....

I was always under the impressions the guys on the left of the screen where closer to the front row and the guys on right were the back row. Guys on the left got attacked more often then guys on the right. I am talking all the previous M&M games as well, now I'm not sure if this was ever true, or I just assumed it.

Willey
09-27-2013, 12:42 PM
And I remember there are some mobs that really want to nuke
your priest, but after MM5 I believe...

I've seen that in any title from 3 to 7. Haven't played 8 and can't remember 9 anymore :D
Some monsters were attacking Paladins (+ some others Sorcerers if I recall correctly) BTW.

wosslokiarn
10-06-2013, 02:14 AM
No, this is wrong. Very very non-Might&Magic. Always the characters were in a single row. To change that is to change Might & Magic into a different game.

A betters solution is to have and use the proper Combat Mastery spells to control the enemy as best you can. Not to change the game into something it shouldn't be.

That's incorrect. The earliest Might and Magic games had this exact feature (1&2). Players in the back rows were unable to attack with melee weapons, but could use bows and spells.

TripSin.
10-09-2013, 04:57 AM
It would be nice, but if it is not in line with other M&M's I feel it would be better to either have Challenge cost less mana, give the warriors bigger mana pools, and/or make challenge last more than 1 round.