PDA

View Full Version : R Finished Act 1. Some musing on everything but bugs.

hicksza
08-21-2013, 01:16 AM
I'm a big fan of the M&M RPGs from 1 to 9 and I hopped on the chance to help with Legacy.

I just finished Act 1. Overall I like where it's going! There are some things I want to mention though.

Balance:
-The game was tough (even on Adventurer, i played both) and that's awesome. Bosses were nail-biting. The only thing I could really complain about were the Elite Kenshi. They were way overpowered. I had no issue when they hit my Defender or Barbarian, but they could easily one-turn my Ranger and Mage. I had to adopt a strategy involving "Gust of Wind."
-Speaking of "Gust of Wind." It made one melee vs party fights a joke. I killed both Cyclopies (Plural?) way too easily (read: never getting hit) on level 3. Some sort of check could balance it out so that it's not a guaranteed knock-back, the more points in air the greater the knockback.
-The damage of the spells wasn't balanced to their mana cost. The first thing I did was put 7 ranks in Mysticism for the mana. The cheapest combat spells costing 15 mana and did around 10-15 damage. By the end of Act1 I had around 150 mana. So 10 castings were possible and that's not counting healing spells or utility spells. Ten castings was enough for maybe two fights before I had to quoff a potion and the damage was less or on par with what the other party members were putting out with "Firebolt" being the only better spell. Personally I would have put spells like "Icebolt" at around 7 mana and spells like "Firebolt," "Sparks," and "Gust of Wind" at 10 mana.
-The Defender took hits like a champ, but I was unimpressed with the "Challenge" ability only effecting one enemy. He simply couldn't pull enough aggro off of the glassy Mage and Ranger. Simply 7 rounds out of 10 he was a tank with no defending ability while my Mage hogged the potions. Normally there is a 25% to hit any one of them. Some class ability that made the Defender pull aggro more passively would be nice (either 33%, 22%, 22%, 22% or 40%, 20%, 20%, 20%). I did also get the "Challenge" ability for the Barbarian and it helped a little but not enough in my opinion. (My big issue was there were many things that did more that 1/2 max hitpoint damage to my mage and ranger)

Gameplay:
-The fights were fun.
-Secrets were lack-luster in both how obvious they were and in how you found them. The spells used to detect traps and secrets did not last long enough.
-Needs map markers! Both the outside maps and in town maps! Or failing that I'm a sucker for maps with no markers, but I can write in notes on each square.
-I feel like time flies too fast in-game (and out of game but that's awesome). I'm always resting and it eats through my food. You said that it's 15 mins a square outside and 5 mins inside. I'd change it to 10 mins outside and 2 mins inside.
-Items break too often in my opinion. I can't count the number of times I went "It broke... oh well carry on." I don't mind weapons breaking and I know higher level stuff will break less, but the low level weapons broke every 3-5 monsters. As for armor I like how criticals break armor and shields, but it shouldn't be a guarantee, maybe a critical has a 50% chance of breaking armor/shield.

I've been excited for this game since the first hint. I'm glad to help in the reboot of my favorite game series, and that's beating out even Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, and more. The developers are awesome.

Doenyon
08-21-2013, 08:49 PM
-I feel like time flies too fast in-game (and out of game but that's awesome). I'm always resting and it eats through my food. You said that it's 15 mins a square outside and 5 mins inside. I'd change it to 10 mins outside and 2 mins inside.
-Items break too often in my opinion. I can't count the number of times I went "It broke... oh well carry on." I don't mind weapons breaking and I know higher level stuff will break less, but the low level weapons broke every 3-5 monsters. As for armor I like how criticals break armor and shields, but it shouldn't be a guarantee, maybe a critical has a 50% chance of breaking armor/shield.

I'm in complete agreement with everything else you said, but I do think a little differently on those two points.
For the time, I think you aren't strict enough. I think time flow should be approximately 0 inside cities.
It's annoying to take a look in town and have to rest a few times just to complete the map there. Not very logical considering the size of that small village you start in whici if it was an irl location, would be explored full in 30 mins top. :p
Can't count the number of times I've just come back to city after adventuring, and had to rest multiple times while rushing for repairs, identify, buying a few things, restocking and leaving.

As for the other one I'm feeling like it's not that annoying, if you read the description of the broken object, the loss of effect between good quality and broken isn't that great.
For low level items, such as my +5armor shield (a tinsy green buckler) being broken only put that to +4. Sincerely not even worth going back.
I didn't even notice the loss of effectiveness of my noobish team between full broke and full repaired. :)
So yes it breaks too often but it's more of a "meh" indeed. And I do the exact same thing you quote, except it's not out of a can't be bothered to go back to town feeling, but from a I don't really see a difference feel. :p

Raygtc
08-25-2013, 07:53 AM
As for the other one I'm feeling like it's not that annoying, if you read the description of the broken object, the loss of effect between good quality and broken isn't that great.
For low level items, such as my +5armor shield (a tinsy green buckler) being broken only put that to +4. Sincerely not even worth going back.
I didn't even notice the loss of effectiveness of my noobish team between full broke and full repaired. :)
So yes it breaks too often but it's more of a "meh" indeed. And I do the exact same thing you quote, except it's not out of a can't be bothered to go back to town feeling, but from a I don't really see a difference feel. :p

It has a huge effect on weapons. Melee characters become essentially worthless when their weapons break, going from doing 10-15 damage to 3.

LE-Larissa
08-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Hi hicksza, hi all,

Thank you for your feedback and for discussing it!

All points were noted down for our first week of player feedback during Early Access. Wel'' post first results of the summary on the blog (https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog) next week.

Thanks,
Anna (LE-Larissa)