PDA

View Full Version : Horrible animation in AC4 Black Flag that NEEDS to be fixed

pacmanate
08-20-2013, 07:23 PM
You know those guys that climb the masts/rigging in AC3? Their animation was great, their foot and hands would hit the ropes correctly etc.

Has anyone noticed it in Black Flag? Its ****ing terrible! It looks like their legs dislocate with every single step. Seeing as this is a PIRATE game and we will be spending most of our time on a ship, fix it.

5:35 on the right mast is what Im talking about

Also, 3:10 of this video is hilarious. Look at the bottom right. A crew member jumps on a cannon then ragdolls and flies off the screen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkc4IoMb70

1:48 on the right side again on todays gamescom demo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lsmMX5drO3w

Wolfmeister1010
08-20-2013, 07:34 PM
You know those guys that climb the masts/rigging in AC3? Their animation was great, their foot and hands would hit the ropes correctly etc.

Has anyone noticed it in Black Flag? Its ****ing terrible! It looks like their legs dislocate with every single step. Seeing as this is a PIRATE game and we will be spending most of our time on a ship, fix it.

Wow you are really fired up about this.

I'm sure it's something that can be fixed easily enough in a patch.

Since there is only one instance of this happening in the vid, and I have never seen it in other naval clips, I think it is pretty safe to say that it was a glitch. Probably no need to worry that that is the animation they are sticking with.

pacmanate
08-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Wow you are really fired up about this.

I'm sure it's something that can be fixed easily enough in a patch

Eh, I just casually swear. It just looks terrible :\

Wolfmeister1010
08-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Eh, I just casually swear. It just looks terrible :\

See my edited post

SixKeys
08-20-2013, 07:56 PM
It doesn't really bother me, I rarely pay attention to the crew mates while I'm sailing anyway.

What REALLY needs to be fixed is the tomahawk animation being used for the sword kills. In AC3 it was somewhat forgivable only because the developers obviously assumed players would mostly be using the tomahawk and just recycled the animation, but in this game swords are Edward's main weapon.

pacmanate
08-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Since there is only one instance of this happening in the vid, and I have never seen it in other naval clips, I think it is pretty safe to say that it was a glitch. Probably no need to worry that that is the animation they are sticking with.

That's where you're wrong. it happens in all the clips involving climbing. I saw it in the gamescom demo today and it reminded me of it

ACfan443
08-20-2013, 08:17 PM
It doesn't really bother me, I rarely pay attention to the crew mates while I'm sailing anyway.

What REALLY needs to be fixed is the tomahawk animation being used for the sword kills. In AC3 it was somewhat forgivable only because the developers obviously assumed players would mostly be using the tomahawk and just recycled the animation, but in this game swords are Edward's main weapon.

I agree with this, I didn't even notice the mast problem, this however stuck out like a sore thumb. The tomahawk animation just doesn't gel well with the placement of the sword in his hand, it may have looked better if he jabbed it into the enemy from the tip rather than the side, like the ACB dagger animation.

Jexx21
08-20-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that this was an older build of the game they were using. In the E3 demo the sword used the tomahawk animations as well, and Ash said that they had new animations for it. They just aren't implemented yet.

Farlander1991
08-20-2013, 08:24 PM
I think what's causing the main issue here is that the crew in ACIV is more dynamic than in ACIII. In ACIII we had a set amount of men doing a set amount of things, therefore things could be polished so everything would look good (and were kinda 'glued' to the ship, as it were). In ACIV the crew is a dynamic entity (varying in size, and therefore as I understand the amount of people on deck with a higher array of actions) on a moving ship, it's a lot harder to achieve that same kind of polish.

Wolfmeister1010
08-20-2013, 08:29 PM
I think what's causing the main issue here is that the crew in ACIV is more dynamic than in ACIII. In ACIII we had a set amount of men doing a set amount of things, therefore things could be polished so everything would look good (and were kinda 'glued' to the ship, as it were). In ACIV the crew is a dynamic entity (varying in size, and therefore as I understand the amount of people on deck with a higher array of actions) on a moving ship, it's a lot harder to achieve that same kind of polish.

Good point. However, this is definitely something that they can polish up.

Sushiglutton
08-20-2013, 08:30 PM
It's not perfect and 3:10 was super funny for sure :D! It's a minor thing though imo as it doesn't really affect gameplay.

Wolfmeister1010
08-20-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that this was an older build of the game they were using. In the E3 demo the sword used the tomahawk animations as well, and Ash said that they had new animations for it. They just aren't implemented yet.

I have also seen him do the tomahawk streak kill where he rolls and then slices at the enemy's back.

I really hope they don't use recycled moves. I hope it's just a placeholder.

This bothers me a lot more than the mast thing, which had to be pointed out to me before I even noticed it.

Jexx21
08-20-2013, 08:32 PM
I have also seen him do the tomahawk streak kill where he rolls and then slices at the enemy's back.

I really hope they don't use recycled moves. I hope it's just a placeholder.

This bothers me a lot more than the mast thing, which had to be pointed out to me before I even noticed it.

What doesn't make sense about that though is that the swords aren't short weapons either...

Wolfmeister1010
08-20-2013, 08:36 PM
What doesn't make sense about that though is that the swords aren't short weapons either...

Ash and assassinscreed have both asked what we thought about the demo of twitter. I asked about the animations. You should too. They seem to answer you a lot.

Jexx21
08-20-2013, 08:38 PM
I already did.

https://twitter.com/Jexx21/status/369905117056602112

Wolfmeister1010
08-20-2013, 08:42 PM
One thing I did notice that is good, is that the sails no longer appear to disintegrate magically when the ship is demasted or destroyed :)

pacmanate
08-20-2013, 08:49 PM
I know its a small thing, but we are spending most of our time on a ship right? I don't want to see some guys leg breaking all the time.

Wolfmeister1010
08-20-2013, 08:50 PM
I know its a small thing, but we are spending most of our time on a ship right? I don't want to see some guys leg breaking all the time.

It'll probably be fixed.

But won't you be spending most time looking at the enemy ships, or the environment around you?

pacmanate
08-20-2013, 08:52 PM
It'll probably be fixed.

But won't you be spending most time looking at the enemy ships, or the environment around you?

I'm not going to be always engaged in a fight. And why wouldn't I spend my time cruising looking at the environment? It looks beautiful. I just don't want it ruined by leg breaking, dislocating shanty man

Jexx21
08-20-2013, 09:54 PM
No response yet from Ash.

LoyalACFan
08-20-2013, 10:11 PM
... I didn't even notice it