PDA

View Full Version : R Previewing the game - list of issues in the game I've found (gaming journalist)

Artifex28
08-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Writing a preview of the game, here's what I've found 2.5 hours in.

Lootable objects should glow or be high lighted out of other objects
Quests should turn the point of interest golden / highlighted on the map, when you're finished them (annoyance to run around)
You really NEED to see your inventory / gear on a vendor -> now you need to memorize your gear to buy upgrades
Saving should give a message to player (now there's none)
Retreat option to combat, since now it's error-trial when entering a combat you cannot win (for eg. go too early vs Cyclops which I just did)
Allow natural mana regeneration while moving (option when starting a game perhaps?)
1920x1200 resolution is my desktop resolution, but not available in the game
If you do not have enough gold for training new skills, you can see the amount needed - but when you have ENOUGH gold you will get the information that your skills arent high enough
Enemies move too slow - there should be an option to hasten this up at least
Performance is rather terrible with some viewing distance (i3770K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7870 OCd, 32GB RAM, Vertex 4)
Item comparison would be great from inventory as well
Annoyance that you will have to click the "combat statistic" open, and then you cannot access inventory (to swap weapons etc)
Pass option would be a great tool (instead of clicking 4 defends)
Allow movement in combat, if there's a room where you can run?
Show fatigue / rest status
After chatting to people, you need to press right bottom corner "EXIT" for no reason - ESC should work, or simply moving

Bug: You keep occasionally rotating while you are getting the tour of the first town, when he starts to speak
Bug: Militia can occasionally freeze - forcing player to load the game (they wont take any action)
Bug: After loading a save, your first character on the list got the skills from my second one
Bug: Skills vanish from the quick bar randomly
Bug: Elite Brigand melee reflections feels bit too OP or is bugged - since it reflects EACH attack per turn, not first only.

gil9999
08-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Good list. Except for the resolution issue, I AM playing at 1920x1200 right now, don't know why it's not available for you. I'd like to add a few things to the list.

* I'd like to see one or more of 3 things on the map, either tooltips, a Legend or the ability to make notes. Hard to remember what each building is.
* More and different equipment for sale at the vendors. Increased number of potions for sale, go through them really fast.
* Night and Day passes way too fast in my opinion.
* Weapons and Armor break at an alarming rate.

I'll probably add more with additional playtime but this is what I can remember right now.

OsirisDawn
08-20-2013, 03:05 PM

Quests should turn the point of interest golden / highlighted on the map, when you're finished them (annoyance to run around)
You really NEED to see your inventory / gear on a vendor -> now you need to memorize your gear to buy upgrades
Saving should give a message to player (now there's none)
Retreat option to combat, since now it's error-trial when entering a combat you cannot win (for eg. go too early vs Cyclops which I just did)
Allow natural mana regeneration while moving (option when starting a game perhaps?)
If you do not have enough gold for training new skills, you can see the amount needed - but when you have ENOUGH gold you will get the information that your skills arent high enough
Enemies move too slow - there should be an option to hasten this up at least
Performance is rather terrible with some viewing distance (i3770K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7870 OCd, 32GB RAM, Vertex 4)
Item comparison would be great from inventory as well
Annoyance that you will have to click the "combat statistic" open, and then you cannot access inventory (to swap weapons etc)
Pass option would be a great tool (instead of clicking 4 defends)
Allow movement in combat, if there's a room where you can run?
Show fatigue / rest status
After chatting to people, you need to press right bottom corner "EXIT" for no reason - ESC should work, or simply moving

Bug: You keep occasionally rotating while you are getting the tour of the first town, when he starts to speak
Bug: Militia can occasionally freeze - forcing player to load the game (they wont take any action)
Bug: After loading a save, your first character on the list got the skills from my second one
Bug: Skills vanish from the quick bar randomly
Bug: Elite Brigand melee reflections feels bit too OP or is bugged - since it reflects EACH attack per turn, not first only.

I don't agree with those first two points. I hate it in newer games, because it kills exploration and any personal achievement with it.
Performance wise, yes it is bad, but they already said so before the release. So they are aware and working on it ... i hope.

All the other points i agree with. Good list, thank you.

fbdbh
08-20-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't agree with those first two points. I hate it in newer games, because it kills exploration and any personal achievement with it.

+1

Or, make it optional. Otherwise, good list.

narupley
08-20-2013, 05:07 PM

I vehemently disagree with this, and think there should be no quest compass or indicator at all. At the most, allow players to create their own markers on the map, but that's it. This is Might & Magic, not Skyrim.

arcadio21
08-20-2013, 05:33 PM

disagree with the first 2 point too. exploring i spart of the fun in a game like this. i dont think the mana regenaration is a good idea, but i think it can be a good option for newcomers. maybe at low difficult?

this is annoing, hope dei fix it. right now you can change the resolution in the ini file inuser/documents/mightandmagicx/config,txt and set it to your desktop resolution.

Kmanfree
08-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Just to let the OP know you can move while in combat, but you must wait until it is your parties turn to do so.

Opps I take that back once locked in you can only turn, I was thinking of distance combat sorry.

DermalCut
08-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Resolution is also what I noticed: I have my desktop on 1680x1050 but the closest I can choose in game is 1600x900.

Also, what I noticed is that the Torchlight Scroll in the barrel near Orlene's house is called "404 torchlight".
And the well near the self-proclaimed mayor is highlighted as interactable, but it does not actually do something until one has a quest to go into it. I think it might be better to get a message saying that it is not possible at the moment to enter the well, or not highlight it as interactable at all.

I am testing it in English, so I will probably see no translation errors.

I know that Limbic Entertainment is a German firm, but they are actually producing the game in Englisch and then translating it into German, right?

Grnite
08-20-2013, 06:54 PM
If you Enter the Crypt and fail the puzzle, it won't reset it self and you can't do it again, because when you go outside of the crypt again... U WILL meet 2 spiders and they won't do anything and make the game freeze, aka reloading a older save.

dank1379
08-20-2013, 07:01 PM
yea i had that same problem with the leaving the crypt, but idk how you fail the puzzle it jus keeps moving until u get it right.

Kuraiya
08-20-2013, 07:01 PM
I vehemently disagree with this, and think there should be no quest compass or indicator at all. At the most, allow players to create their own markers on the map, but that's it. This is Might & Magic, not Skyrim.

I second this. What's the point of exploring and searching if you are told exactly where to go?

DermalCut
08-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Yes. Might & Magic was always about the exploring, just giving the general direction (ie name of map location), but not pointing towards the exact map square.
But I think the automap should record important points once they are discovered, ie shops in the town.

GigaFather
08-20-2013, 09:08 PM
I don't think passive mana regen is needed if they fix the potion restock (and maybe rise the mp per skill point for caster classes a bit?)
I think biggest visual changes happened when I spammed attack too fast, the enemy Militia kept moving from the hits and was eventually surfing half a mile away before dying.
Had one standing corpse who after a short while started sinking terminator style, it was silly.
I'm not sure if it's caused by too fastly doing things in combat or what, but rarely the game locks inbetween turns (or seemingly so) when the enemies don't do anything but everything from the bars is disabled like it's their turn.

Some of the early areas feel occasionally strangely crowded, but that's minor issue since I generally enjoy the combat. Which reminds me, are Kenshis' abilities supposed to stack so hard or why do they start hitting like a truck fast? In comparison some of the early spiders felt bit too weak unless they used the poison shot/hit thing constantly. Not really an issue and if they feel like it is, it can be tweaked.

I'm also wondering wheter you are supposed or not to be able to choose targets in distance, since it seems most of the time ranged attacks and spells random their target.

gunthersc
08-20-2013, 10:17 PM
The turning during the guided tour is not a bug, it's deliberate.

Escape does work to exit conversations, and lootable objects do get highlighted. Maybe it happened in the first patch, which I had to download manually since the patcher had the wrong URL?

Ghulzen
08-20-2013, 10:52 PM

Heck no. This game is supposed to be a throwback to old school rpgs. I want to actually have to think and explore the world instead of knowing exactly where to go.

Again, I disagree. Why should you know how difficult a battle is going to be ahead of time? I'm tired of auto-leveled rpgs where every mob is an "appropriate" challenge. I want mobs that will eat my face if I find them and I'm too low level.

Hopefully that will be fixed when you can get more mana pots, right now casters feel like a hindrance to me with how stingy mana is.

Jjikda
08-21-2013, 05:16 AM
Resolution is also what I noticed: I have my desktop on 1680x1050 but the closest I can choose in game is 1600x900.

Also, what I noticed is that the Torchlight Scroll in the barrel near Orlene's house is called "404 torchlight".
And the well near the self-proclaimed mayor is highlighted as interactable, but it does not actually do something until one has a quest to go into it. I think it might be better to get a message saying that it is not possible at the moment to enter the well, or not highlight it as interactable at all.

I am testing it in English, so I will probably see no translation errors.

I know that Limbic Entertainment is a German firm, but they are actually producing the game in Englisch and then translating it into German, right?

I came here to post about the "404 torchlight" scroll, so you're not the only one.

Masterluck86
08-21-2013, 03:19 PM

No way, I want to explore the world and I do not want this mana regeneration either. It does not work for MM. It is far enough that there are potions in the game. I would appreciate it, if there would be much less of them. With enough potions you can kill the cyclops even on level 1, that is rediculous.

woolenthreads
08-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Performance wise, yes it is bad, but they already said so before the release. So they are aware and working on it ... i hope.
Mouse over highlight perhaps? There's a lot of non-interactive stuff so if it isn't highlighted some way you may end up bouncing on scenery a lot.

Q: Why is "Skyrim" so successful? A: Because it's complex and beautiful. Also because a lot of people absolutely hate having to spend most of their game walking places they've already been and the dev's paid attention to that. Personally I wanted an auto-map travel system in Skrim and the Fallout3D series that looked like the continental travel scenes from Indiana Jones, as they could have added random encounters to it....

Chronosv3
08-23-2013, 08:05 AM
I also agree that items should not highlight, and the player should be expected to explore for their quest points. While I do understand the ease-of-use qualms, I hate that so many games these days just tell you exactly where to go. As for the other map-related qualms, they've said that the map isn't fully functional yet. Things like listing places you've been to will come I'm sure, they just need some time.
I would really like to be able to select the target of my attack though. I've seen arrows and spells fly at seemingly ranged targets, which is a little puzzling.

LE-Larissa
08-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for all this feedback!

All points were added to our first week of Early Access player feedback sum up.
We'll be posting first results of the sum up during the next week on
the blog (https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog).

Thanks,
Anna (LE-Larissa)