PDA

View Full Version : First impression Plus / Minus List: Will be updated

Aeon1977
08-20-2013, 08:28 AM
First of all, you managed it to create the typical atmosphere from the start right on, itīs very immersive and going to become a great game for sure. Following is my list of the good and the not-so-good things I came across on my first two hours playing. There may be things you are already aware of or things that are more technical in nature and not belong in here, but I want to have it all in one thread, so here we go, in List form ;-)

Plus:

+ Nice, long intro
+ Atmosphere is brilliant
+ Environments have sort of life - trees moving in the wind, birds fly across the sky. Nice.
+ Title music is very good
+ Little eastereggs (wonīt spoiler in here :-D)
+ Recycled sounds from MMVI -> Great!
+ Combat feels very good, I like that it is not too static like in the earlier games, and it can be pulled off quickīnībrutal on the weaker mobs
+ Very nice death animations
+ Environments are well-thought. Standing on the bridge in Spider Lair and looking down has something!
+ Lotīs of story elements / gossip etc.
+ Bestiary in Journal well done!
+ Immersion, immersion, I was sucked right in and going

Minus:

- Lighting of environments is brutal! While the lit parts are nearly blazing and you need sunglasses, the dark parts stay too dark. Especially outdoors and if you fire up a torch-spell indoors itīs distracting. I think, in the first pictures and gameplay vids it was not THAT extreme.

- Movement could be executed faster. Just like that. I think its the transition between the tiles which is a bit to slow, the move itself. No problem with the stops though, as this is part of the grid-based experience. Movement should be speed-wise like Grimrock, they did that in a good and fluid speed.

- Textures are inconsistent in quality. Some look really good, others like a washy mess (parts of floor, doors etc).

- Day / Night cycle is WAY to fast, and so is becoming fatigue.

- Clipping errors: In the Spider Lair, some spiders clipped through a barrel and vice versa, as well as the floor clipped through the first chest I found there.

- Map needs tooltip for visited location when hovering over a white dot within the map OR implement the possibility to make own notes.

- Donīt ask the player if he REALLY wants to enter this or that dungeon. Just throw him in with the message: "Youīre entering Spider Lair" or something, this is more surprising. If the player feels like he still doesnīt belong there, he can always exit the place, if he / she wishes.

- An unconscious character doesnīt heal after resting and there is no way for him to consume a potion. This is very bad, it hever had been in M&M that way. You should only be forced to enter a temple when being dead, not when being unconscious.

- Equipment comparing in the shop would be nice to have

- Reduce the chance of getting antidote potions when battling spiders. Now itīs like 100%, being around 65% would be better, as it gives a bit more sense of danger.

- Only the selected enemy should have this white border.

- After levelling up, you get attribute points, but no Skill points? Did I miss something? (Clarified: have to hit "G" for access to skills / spells)

This is it for now, had no weird bugs or game blocking stuff so far, I will update this thread regularly when adavncing in the game. Keep up the good work! ;-)

UPDATE 1:

+ Party barks in combat!

- Transition into combat too long

- Cave at 115,41: Icon to enter is placed behind the wooden planks

- Movement animations in combat could be faster. Feels a little bit like Wizardry 8. Might and magic always had sort of quick, fluid combat.

- Weapons break fairly quick...

- First game stopper: I casted the spell "Celestial Armour". The turn after that, everything in the commands bar greyed out and I couldnīt perform an action, nor turn left or right.

UPDATE 2:

This is a suggestion: It would be nice if you could shoot / spellcast all the time, not only when locked into combat. Remembering MMIII - V, you could shoot an enemy from the far distance and still be able to escape from battle. For harder monsters, you could develop some sort of distant attack tactics. As there is no other possibility to escape, you remain being locked in place and in the end need to battle the enemy in melee all the time.

UPDATE 3:

- Potions donīt restock at the vendor
- Den of Thieves: Militia enemies can clip through walls because of their animations during melee fight
+This is a massive time eater! 6 hours flew like nothing, still not finished :-D well done!

UPDATE 4:

- Bug: In Den of Thieves, performed range attack, 2 tiles away. Enemy blocked, Barbarianīs Melee Weapon broke!

UPDATE 5:

+ Lighthouse tileset looks awesome, great atmosphere in this dungeon!
- Boss insta-kills my whole party with one hit... lol, donīt know if this a bug or a feature. I will find out!

FINAL UPDATE, CONCLUSION:

Ok, I made it - Mamushi now finally is Serpent-Sushi! I had in real time ca. 8,5 hours for all the stuff, where Mamushi himself took me one hour of try and error and frustration. I feel him way owerpowerd until now, but I think itīs just because enemies donīt respawn yet so there is no more swordfodder for levelling my chars. Only the ghosts are left, they are truly sons of whatever and I left them where they are :-D

This game indeed is going the right track, the ingame flow of quests and stuff is great, as is the whole feeling / atmosphere, and if you manage to get the most annoying stuff done, such as the too fast time passing (no one needs 60 minutes to cross four tiles / make four steps), the too slow party movement (the stop is as long as the move), the too extreme lighting, the bit slow movement of enemies, game stoppers in combat, missing map notes, unconsciousness doesnīt heal when resting etc. it will already become a huge leap forward. Well done so far, now letīs bring it to perfection! ;-)

IndiraLightfoot
08-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Aeon1977: Great plus list!

I'd like to add to your minus list:
-While creating a character it's not very clear when you have changed the auto-generated name. It actually needs a hit on the return button for it to stick.
-Add an option to make the text/font bigger in certain UIs in-game and in descriptions. I play on a monitor that's not very big.
-And please, let me map the middle button on the mouse to whatever function I choose.
-Tone down the outlines of enemies and usable objects.
-Tone down the glowing of books to be picked up. It's like they are burning with demon fire or something.

Aeon1977
08-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Updated!

coldalarm
08-20-2013, 10:34 AM
The party barks are good, but they're too repetitive IMHO.

Minos34
08-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Ok my contribution, it'll will probably mention a lot ofp oints you already covered Aeon because you have been pretty much spot on on this.

+ Very nice graphics and atmosphere. I like it ! I find it a very good balance between old MM's atmosphere and Asha estetics.
+ The caracter creation is pretty neat. You can customize about everything and everythingis detailed when you put your mouse over it. Some skills might need some clarifications though, I had some difficulty finding out what exactly do some of them (particularly the ones in the center section).
+ I love all the old MMs' tributes : recycled sounds (it brings me so much memories, thanks !^^), easter eggs (a bestiary, really ? ^^), the animated home environment ...
+ The story and lore seems pretty nice so far. I love the fact you have a bestiary and a logbook compilling pieces of lore you find. I couldn't find any creature description thought (I mean there are the stats and weaknesses that updates as you kill more and more of them but I didn't find any lore-friendly description of them).
+ Music. So far so good. It helps a lot with the immersion (which is really great so far) and conveys a lot Asha's atmosphere.
+ The city is large enough : not too much so a new player doesn't get lost and not small so there's nothing to see.

~ the combat system seems pretty good so far. I didn't experience it that much so far (only did the spider's lair) but I liked it. I only wish we could use potion on another character (using oric's turn to heal Anna for example) because it can get hard trying to heal AND removing condition, I'm not even mentioning the necessity to go to the church when a member of the party is only unconscious.

- The day and night cycle. It is WAY too fast, you need like two days to visit a small city : that's not reasonable.
- The shops should close at night (if previous point is fixed, it souldn't be too much of an inconvenience).
- Some lighting effects might need some work. Some are way too blight (in the city by night, comes into my mind) and some are too dark, though I must admit I didn't use any torch spell so it could be not that bad ;)
- The move speed seems a bit jerky. Pressing rapidly the forward key should feel smoother cause currently it doesn't flow very well.
- It would be nice to be able to open the party's inventory while in a shop and/or to compare the equipment with the equipped ones.
- I've been unable to enter the well before taking the quest of maximus but the game doesn't tell you why so you kind of think it is a bug. Maybe, hide the entrance of the dungeon before you take the quest of display a message saying you can't enter for now ?
- Why don't have I a badge ? Steam version users don't get one ? ^^

GigaFather
08-20-2013, 06:30 PM
I can agree with most of these, I've had a blast aside from some jerkiness (which eased up a lot when I toned graphics down), few things I've been wondering about though, do potions not restock on merchants ever? Is the mana increase per skill point supposed to be so low for all classes? (maybe I've overlooked some skill or other stuff that supplement it).

Some of the Narrator parts, like when leaving the city for first time felt a bit unneccesary, while some of the NPC dialogue has been pretty fun and interesting.

I'm hoping the day/night and potion thing (if it's true) get a small quick patch soon :)

Aeon1977
08-20-2013, 07:44 PM
I can agree with most of these, I've had a blast aside from some jerkiness (which eased up a lot when I toned graphics down), few things I've been wondering about though, do potions not restock on merchants ever? Is the mana increase per skill point supposed to be so low for all classes? (maybe I've overlooked some skill or other stuff that supplement it).

Some of the Narrator parts, like when leaving the city for first time felt a bit unneccesary, while some of the NPC dialogue has been pretty fun and interesting.

I'm hoping the day/night and potion thing (if it's true) get a small quick patch soon :)

Iīve included the restocking issue in another update.

lathcf1
08-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Not being able to have one character use a potion on another character kind of threw me off at first. I thought I was doing something wrong and tried to figure out how to do it for a few minutes.

Aeon1977
08-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Again, little update. That thing with potions not usable on another character will hopefully be fixed, too. But I am sure it will.

IndiraLightfoot
08-21-2013, 07:55 AM
More suggestions, problems:
-Please, let us map the escape button/function for dialogue UIs and such to a key or mouse button of our choice (instead of clicking on the big door, which is a bit far off for closing the UI too)
-In the action bar, when attacking with a bow, make that icon a bow and arrow, instead of the present icon, which almost look like some big, weird spear. It's supposed to be an arrow, but it's actually the bow that's the main feature, I reckon.

deadlybunny
08-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Daytime and Nighttime sequences are far too short. Weapons break with alarming frequency. Monsters so not respawn. Undead are way too overpowered, my level 4 party is wiped out everytime.

OsirisDawn
08-21-2013, 12:08 PM
They main post is stellar. Thank you, it mentions all things i feel too about the game. Positive and negative.

/thumbs up and thank you!

Aeon1977
08-21-2013, 04:15 PM
They main post is stellar. Thank you, it mentions all things i feel too about the game. Positive and negative.

/thumbs up and thank you!

Thanks! Well itīs a personal thing that this game will as good as possible (how many years there was no more grid / turn based rpg???) and I hope, I could help the devs as good as possible to forge their baby from a raw to a shining diamond ;-)

Oh, FINAL UPDATE / CONCLUSION added!