PDA

View Full Version : Possible to learn new skills after character generation?

L1ghtS1de
08-20-2013, 03:35 AM
When I was only given 2 skill picks at character creation for non-human characters, I assumed that I would be able to purchase basic training in the others available to that class later. In all of the previous Might and Magic games, finding someone to teach you basic skills was easy and cheap... any expert trainer could also teach the basic skill to a class that could learn it in most entries, and in others each town had at least one or two people who could teach you a new basic skill. Am I missing something, or are they gone? I've been all through the first town and slightly beyond it, and have met nobody who can teach basic skills.

Are we stuck with the skill picks we choose at creation? If so, it seems as though humans have a rather unfair advantage with 8 picks vs the others' 2. Have I just not encountered the basic skill teachers yet?

narupley
08-20-2013, 03:44 AM
They've gotten rid of the skill trainers. When you level up, just open your skillbook (G) and you can raise any skill you want (even light/dark magic) from "Unlearned" to "Novice" (level 1). Limbic took the lazy way out on this mechanic.

Aeon1977
08-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Hm, one should be able from the inventory / character page to access skills, too. I asked that myself and didnīt know I can only be accessed via Shortcut (G)...

L1ghtS1de
08-20-2013, 04:22 PM
I see... so instead of paying money to learn a new skiill, you pay a skill point? That makes Skill Points much more valuable, especially in the early game. That means that a first-level human has as many Skill Points as a third-level anything else. That's a pretty big advantage. It wouldn't have been back in the days of MM4 and 5, in which completing the first quest brought your characters up to level 5 or so, but in this game, with experience being EXTREMELY hard to come by in the early portion, that seems like a huge advantage.

And Aeon, you don't need the keyboard shortcut to get to skills. Just click on the spells/abilities page, and there will be a tab for skills there.