PDA

View Full Version : Why did it take Ezio nine years to find Savanarola?

lonelygod91
08-20-2013, 01:18 AM
This time jump from AC2 has always bugged me. Ezio finds out in 1488 that Savanarola is likely in Florence after he steals the Apple yet suddenly the next sequence is in 1497!! I know AC2: Discovery takes place in 1491-1492 so that accounts for some of it but it still baffles me as to why it took him so long to get to Florence and bring down Savanarola? Obviously Desmond is skipping memories in the Animus but I found the time-jumps in 2 to be really badly executed. Some events took years according to the in-game chronology but a lot of the missions seem to take no time at all for Ezio. I think the time-jumps were handled much better in ACB, ACR and III, mostly because it made sense story-wise why there might be some gaps. It's pretty silly overall that Savanarola had the apple but Ezio took his sweet time to get to Florence.

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 01:20 AM
Savonarola is actually an ancestor of Bin Laden.

ctuagent15
08-20-2013, 01:51 AM
The thing is you're not reliving Ezio's, or any of the ancestors, life minute by minute, so when you're free-roaming between missions, starting fights with guards and the like, does not mean thats what Ezio did, he could off just hanged out with the courtesans in the time gaps between some memories.
Also the Animus sometimes takes memories and boils them down to a simple activity, take the two years he spent training with his uncle, to us it was a few training missions in the training ring but if you listen to the dialogue you're hear Ezio spent his nights in the library reading, so in fact he spend two years learning to fight and studying.

As for why it took ten years for him to go after Savonaroia, like you I don't know

mlleemiles
08-20-2013, 01:56 AM
No, Ezio traveled to Spain during the 10 years to save Christopher Columbus and kill Tomas Torquemada to end the Templar threat.

lonelygod91
08-20-2013, 02:04 AM
No, Ezio traveled to Spain during the 10 years to save Christopher Columbus and kill Tomas Torquemada to end the Templar threat.

No, he only spends a year there in Discovery. At the start he specifically says it has been 15 years since his family were executed, placing the start in 1491 (which still leaves a three-year gap from 1488). Columbus sails off on his first voyage towards the end of the gane (which happened around August 1492 I believe) and after sparing Torquemada (who didn't die until 1498) Ezio returns to Italy. The Renaissance novel picks up with him in Venice, 1492 where he learns about Lorenzo's death and Rodrigo becoming Pope. The book also reiterates that Savanarola is in Florence but it takes him another five years to even go there!! Discovery fills in some of the missing gaps but not enough to logically explain why it took him so long.

Jack-Reacher
08-20-2013, 04:11 AM
Because Savanarola was using a fake moustache.

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 04:13 AM
That Apple wasn't the only thing Ezio dropped...

Ureh
08-20-2013, 04:25 AM
They'll be able to explain this with more DLC.

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 04:27 AM
Another reason to ​BRING BACK EZIO!!!

Megas_Doux
08-20-2013, 04:43 AM
:NO:

Ureh
08-20-2013, 04:45 AM

He never left. He'll always be in our hearts. *swoon*

Megas_Doux
08-20-2013, 04:47 AM
He was too busy with Caterina......

adventurewomen
08-20-2013, 04:47 AM
I have some bad news, I'm unsure of what your reaction may be, so I ask you first before I post my following message to you.

:D

Watch Embers and all will be revealed to you.

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 06:21 AM
I have some bad news, I'm unsure of what your reaction may be, so I ask you first before I post my following message to you.

:D

Watch Embers and all will be revealed to you.I have watched Embers, I cried in it. What happened in it doesn't mean Ezio can't come back does it now.

shobhit7777777
08-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Because Google came a few centuries too late

TriniAssassin85
08-20-2013, 06:55 AM

This would definitely be awesome!!!!!!!!

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 07:03 AM
This would definitely be awesome!!!!!!!!
He's joking

TriniAssassin85
08-20-2013, 07:06 AM
He's joking

I wasn't though.

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 07:07 AM
I wasn't though.
I know, that's why I told you he was...

poptartz20
08-20-2013, 07:45 AM
For the love of GOD... please no more Ezio. This would really make me want quit the series. How can people be serious about this matter. *cries*

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 07:47 AM
For the love of GOD... please no more Ezio. This would really make me want quit the series. How can people be serious about this matter. *cries*
I don`t think he`s serious, even though he says he is...some of his other posts are plain weird...he calls Ezio "the great Ezio"

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 07:49 AM
I don`t think he`s serious, even though he says he is...some of his other posts are plain weird...he calls Ezio "the great Ezio"The Great Ezio and The Ungrateful Connor.

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 07:50 AM
The Great Ezio and The Ungrateful Connor.
the Ungrateful potato..

poptartz20
08-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Even if he wasn't serious. I can't even laugh about it. I start to get all worried. *palms sweating* *wiping up tears* --- it's a mess. haha!

now now Hayth_M you shouldn't talk about your son like that.

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 08:06 AM
now now Hayth_M you shouldn't talk about your son like that.
But he stabbed me in my wrist D:

poptartz20
08-20-2013, 08:10 AM
But he stabbed me in my wrist D:

but you stabbed him in his HEART. --Emotionally. D=

now I ask, which one is worse! tisk tisk!

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 08:13 AM
but you stabbed him in his HEART. --Emotionally. D=

now I ask, which one is worse! tisk tisk!
Oh come now..I never did that to Conna...he stabbed me in my heart first...all out of forgiveness my bottom >_>

You don`t know how I felt at that moment...

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Oh come now..I never did that to Conna...he stabbed me in my heart first...all out of forgiveness my bottom >_>

You don`t know how I felt at that moment...Umm it's Connor? You'd think after 18,000 posts you'd know how to spell.

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Umm it's Connor? You'd think after 18,000 posts you'd know how to spell.
I think I know my own son`s name, thank you very much..

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 08:33 AM
I think I know my own son`s name, thank you very much..If he's your son aren't you dead?

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 08:34 AM
If he's your son aren't you dead?
details details

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 08:36 AM
details detailsCome to think of it why do you have half naked pictures of your dad dancing around a pole?

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Come to think of it why do you have half naked pictures of your dad dancing around a pole?
I grew quite fond of his late night profession

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 08:40 AM
I grew quite fond of his late night profession
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JLnkuKrvsw

itsamea-mario
08-20-2013, 09:28 AM
The book says he spent that time traveing and looking for codex pages and tomb seals and such.
This is why i never get Altair's armour until sequence 13.

pirate1802
08-20-2013, 09:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JLnkuKrvsw

haha, reminds me of a friend who fell in love with one of his first cousins without knowing who she was xD

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 09:40 AM
haha, reminds me of a friend who fell in love with one of his first cousins without knowing who she was xDHahahahahahaha

ladyleonhart
08-20-2013, 09:50 AM

Sure. Why not...?

Locopells
08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Annnnnnnnd there goes another thread...

LightRey
08-20-2013, 10:20 AM
That Apple wasn't the only thing Ezio dropped...
Omg, Ezio dropped the ball on this one!
It all makes sense now... :|

pirate1802
08-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Omg, Ezio dropped the ball on this one!
It all makes sense now... :|

I'm wondering the testicle..

adventurewomen
08-20-2013, 11:40 AM
I have watched Embers, I cried in it. What happened in it doesn't mean Ezio can't come back does it now.
Hmmm... maybe however death in permanent state of being. On the chance that Ezio could come back in spirit form, just maybe.

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Hmmm... maybe however death in permanent state of being. On the chance that Ezio could come back in spirit form, just maybe.He was dead when we played AC2.

adventurewomen
08-20-2013, 11:44 AM
He was dead when we played AC2.
True, his soul died when he saw his family executed.

lonelygod91
08-20-2013, 12:48 PM
The book says he spent that time traveing and looking for codex pages and tomb seals and such.
This is why i never get Altair's armour until sequence 13.

The Renaissance book covers some of this but it makes no mention of him travelling to find pages or tomb seals. I don't think the tombs or Altair's armour are even mentioned once in the novel. Bottom line is, we have some details on events he was involved in but it still doesn't justify the nine-year gap let alone make it have any kind of logical sense

itsamea-mario
08-20-2013, 12:57 PM
The Renaissance book covers some of this but it makes no mention of him travelling to find pages or tomb seals. I don't think the tombs or Altair's armour are even mentioned once in the novel. Bottom line is, we have some details on events he was involved in but it still doesn't justify the nine-year gap let alone make it have any kind of logical sense

It doesn't metion the tomb seals true enough, but i am sure it says he spends years searching for the lost codex pages using the map he recieved in forli.

Gil_217
08-20-2013, 02:27 PM
I've been talking about this gap for a long time, because it's the only one that really needed an explanation, but we just have to accept that it will never be truly adressed. The gap I'm actually talking about is the one between 1494-1497, because the 1488-1491/1492 can easily be explained. My memory regarding that time period isn't very fresh but I'll try to give some type of explanation to it, so if I make any mistakes I hope people notice them and correct them.

At the end of the Battle of Forlė DLC in 1488, the monk tells Ezio that the man he's looking for is Girolamo Savonarola, who's likely in Firenze. Now, considering Ezio's lack of success around this time, we just have to assume he went to Firenze as soon as possible but just couldn't find anything. He never found Girolamo, he didn't find a single clue to his location, so he was just left clueless between 1488 and 1492. He couldn't do anything about it, because he found nothing. Then, in 1491 he got information regarding something related to the Templars and in the end he decided to investigate and do something about it. Why not? Especially considering his lack of success in tracking Girolamo, so he might as well do something useful in the meantime.

After that mission, in 1492, he just resumed his search for Savonarola and the Apple. So, in Renaissance, we see that Ezio travels to Firenze again in order to see if this time he's more successful, and he did indeed find a Savonarola, but not Girolamo. It was his cousin, Marcello, who told Ezio that Girolamo was in Venezia. Ezio immediately traveled there and with the help of Teodora he found a way to get close to Savonarola. Ezio "befriended" a herald who followed Savonarola blindly, but despite Ezio's insistence in meeting him, the herald always told him he would've to wait. And this wait lasted two years. Ezio probably endured all this time because after 4/6 years of failures in finding him which must've lead to some serious frustration, this time he was just playing it safe and didn't want to rush it. Then, after two years, in 1494, Ezio was alerted by Piero de' Medici, who had just escaped Firenze, that Savonarola was there, and he had just taken over the city. After this, Ezio killed the herald and now one would assume he would go to Firenze as soon as possible, in order to finally reach Savonarola, kill him, get the Apple and liberate Firenze. The problem is, Ezio only arrived in there in 1497, 3 years later, despite the obvious urgency.

Why?

itsamea-mario
08-20-2013, 02:32 PM
I've been talking about this gap for a long time, because it's the only one that really needed an explanation, but we just have to accept that it will never be truly adressed. The gap I'm actually talking about is the one between 1494-1497, because the 1488-1491/1492 can easily be explained. My memory regarding that time period isn't very fresh but I'll try to give some type of explanation to it, so if I make any mistakes I hope people notice them and correct them.

At the end of the Battle of Forlė DLC in 1488, the monk tells Ezio that the man he's looking for is Girolamo Savonarola, who's likely in Firenze. Now, considering Ezio's lack of success around this time, we just have to assume he went to Firenze as soon as possible but just couldn't find anything. He never found Girolamo, he didn't find a single clue to his location, so he was just left clueless between 1488 and 1492. He couldn't do anything about it, because he found nothing. Then, in 1491 he got information regarding something related to the Templars and in the end he decided to investigate and do something about it. Why not? Especially considering his lack of success in tracking Girolamo, so he might as well do something useful in the meantime.

After that mission, in 1492, he just resumed his search for Savonarola and the Apple. So, in Renaissance, we see that Ezio travels to Firenze again in order to see if this time he's more successful, and he did indeed find a Savonarola, but not Girolamo. It was his cousin, Marcello, who told Ezio that Girolamo was in Venezia. Ezio immediately traveled there and with the help of Teodora he found a way to get close to Savonarola. Ezio "befriended" a herald who followed Savonarola blindly, but despite Ezio's insistence in meeting him, the herald always told him he would've to wait. And this wait lasted two years. Ezio probably endured all this time because after 4/6 years of failures in finding him which must've lead to some serious frustration, this time he was just playing it safe and didn't want to rush it. Then, after two years, in 1494, Ezio was alerted by Piero de' Medici, who had just escaped Firenze, that Savonarola was there, and he had just taken over the city. After this, Ezio killed the herald and now one would assume he would go to Firenze as soon as possible, in order to finally reach Savonarola, kill him, get the Apple and liberate Firenze. The problem is, Ezio only arrived in there in 1497, 3 years later, despite the obvious urgency.

Why?

Crabs.

ctuagent15
08-20-2013, 02:36 PM
True, his soul died when he saw his family executed.
Have you really forgotten the concept of the Animus, Ezio's been dead for over Five hundred years when we play him in AC2, just because we have seen his death does not mean we can't have some of those missing years in another game, not that I'm saying I want another game with Ezio, they have even told Edwards death in a novel, i haven't read it myself but after I play AC4 I'll read it

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 02:36 PM

Why?
Although my fingers ache to type "he found so many women on the way" I`ll sacrifice my needs to survive for a rational post :|

does anything significant historically occur at that time??

Farlander1991
08-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Then, after two years, in 1494, Ezio was alerted by Piero de' Medici, who had just escaped Firenze, that Savonarola was there, and he had just taken over the city. After this, Ezio killed the herald and now one would assume he would go to Firenze as soon as possible, in order to finally reach Savonarola, kill him, get the Apple and liberate Firenze. The problem is, Ezio only arrived in there in 1497, 3 years later, despite the obvious urgency.

Don't know about the novel, but in the game, Ezio's first phrase in Sequence 13 is, "Then it's true? Savanarola has taken over Firenze?", alluding to the fact that he has only recently heard of this, most likely as a distant rumor.

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Don't know about the novel, but in the game, Ezio's first phrase in Sequence 13 is, "Then it's true? Savanarola has taken over Firenze?", alluding to the fact that he has only recently heard of this, most likely as a distant rumor.
does it necessarily mean he heard it recently, though?? He could still be pondering Piero`s words from 3 years ago..

itsamea-mario
08-20-2013, 02:41 PM
One thing you notice about history, everything took a really really long time to happen.

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 02:44 PM
One thing you notice about history, everything took a really really long time to happen.Like the invention of Potatoes.

Jexx21
08-20-2013, 02:46 PM
potatoes were invented in 1972 on the eve of our lord's birth

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 02:48 PM
potatoes were invented in 1972 on the eve of our lord's birthWhat? I though were invented when Jimi Hendrix jumped off Mt Olympus to beat Gandhi in Masterchef?

Farlander1991
08-20-2013, 02:51 PM
does it necessarily mean he heard it recently, though?? He could still be pondering Piero`s words from 3 years ago..

Yeah, but all the other Assassins were already in Firenze in 1497 and they knew about that, so.... Ezio should've been somehow left out of the loop.

Gil_217
08-20-2013, 02:52 PM
I don't really know about any historical events that might've happened between 1494-1497 that could involve Ezio, even though, out of curiosity, I went to Wikipedia and saw that in January 3,1496, Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tested a flying machine. Maybe Ezio was the one piloting it?! Probably stayed in a coma for the whole of 1496 and then waked up in 1497 and headed to Firenze. xD

Seriously though, I just remembered that in one of Claudia's databases, either in ACB or ACR, there was a passage from her diary written in 1495 in which she mentions how Ezio was distant, always away. Of course this could just be an observation regarding Ezio's life since 1476, considering he was always away from his family, but I think it's still worth to mention it. It could imply he was away during that time, in some specific mission or whatever, making it seem like something else came up around that time that needed his immediate assistance. Problem is, it's still very vague to even think about deducing anything from it.

Farlander1991
08-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Pretty much, what should be the case, Ezio was like travelling around, away from Monteriggioni (where his Uncle is and would know the situation about Firenze, since he was there too), NOT knowing in 1494 that Savanarola took control of Florence, and then suddenly hearing about it and going 'WTF?! I must go there now'.

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 02:59 PM
How long would a Journey from Venice to Florence take? lets eliminate every bit of time possible..

Gil_217
08-20-2013, 03:04 PM
How long would a Journey from Venice to Florence take? lets eliminate every bit of time possible..

Yeah, this can help. I would also like to know when did Savonarola took control of Firenze. It's always said it was in 1494, but they never specify the actual month. If it happened in very late 1494, it could help make sense of it. To add to this, I believe Ezio arrived in Firenze in February 1497, very early in the year. So maybe this might help.

ctuagent15
Yeah, but all the other Assassins were already in Firenze in 1497 and they knew about that, so.... Ezio should've been somehow left out of the loop.
It's not like they had phones back then, if they didn't know where Ezio was then how could they get in contact with him to tell him, even if they did have an idea of where he was it would take a long time to get a letter to him to let him know what was happening and if he moved on before said letter got to him, well you can see how hard back then it would of been to contact someone

Farlander1991

The distance between Venice and Florence is about 260 km, so that's 52 uninterrupted hours of travel on foot with the 5 km/h walking speed. (ok, that's driving distance on current roads, the direct route is 204 km and 40 uninterrupted hours it seems, so... anywhere between 40 and 52 hours on foot.

So, it should be like a week. Less if you're on horse and you're hurrying.

It's not like they had phones back then, if they didn't know where Ezio was then how could they get in contact with him to tell him,

That's exactly my point. >_<

Gil_217
08-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Okay, just read that Savonarola took control of Firenze in the fall of 1494. This is good because not only did Savonarola's occupation took place late in the year but this also means that Piero had to flee the city, travel to Venezia and then find Ezio to tell him the news. So, this basically means that Ezio only heard about it in very very late 1494 or early 1495, with the latter probably making more sense.

It's not much but at least it reduces the time a little.

Farlander1991
08-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Okay, just read that Savonarola took control of Firenze in the fall of 1494. This is good because not only did Savonarola's occupation took place late in the year but this also means that Piero had to flee the city, travel to Venezia and then find Ezio to tell him the news. So, this basically means that Ezio only heard about it in very very late 1494 or early 1495, with the latter probably making more sense.

It's not much but at least it reduces the time a little.

Even then. If Ezio wanted to check that out, he could've traveled to Firenze in a week. A month - TOPS, if he thought that this is nothing serious and just some lousy rumours.

Gil_217
08-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Even then. If Ezio wanted to check that out, he could've traveled to Firenze in a week. A month - TOPS, if he thought that this is nothing serious and just some lousy rumours.

Exactly, that's why I always wanted some explanation for this delay.

I know some people don't really care about the novels, some of them probably do not even consider them canon, but regarding this matter, the only information that we have comes from a novel, and it says that Ezio knew about Savonarola being in Firenze with an Apple of Eden since 1494/1495, but he only arrived there in early 1497. I accept this because it's not a plothole, it does not contradict anything, not even that line that you mentioned about Ezio at the beginning of Sequence 13. It's just strange why he didn't act much quicker. That's why some people wanted something said about this by Ubisoft. The Encyclopedia was the perfect opportunity to address something like this, considering a game or DLC about Ezio will never happen again.

Farlander1991
08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
It's just strange why he didn't act much quicker.

Which is why I think that he didn't actually know about Savanarola at Firenze in 1494/1495.

Gil_217
08-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Which is why I think that he didn't actually know about Savanarola at Firenze in 1494/1495.

Something else, or a bunch of things at the same time, could have happened that eventually delayed his arrival in Firenze. Let it be another mission, a setback, problems with his family, especially his mother, him wanting to prepare himself better for his mission in Firenze, or even something related to the Templars that he had to address, considering that at this time they were full of power, since Rodrigo was Pope since 1492.

I believe Ubisoft could easily explain it. But to each their own.

EDIT: I know it's not exactly the same thing, considering Savonarola's case was more urgent, but it's not the first time Ezio takes his time to address something like this. When he arrived in Venezia for the first time, in 1481, he already knew he had to kill Emilio, but he only did it 4 years later, in 1485. Not exactly the same thing, I know, but still worth to mention it.

Farlander1991
08-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Something else, or a bunch of things at the same time, could have happened that eventually delayed his arrival in Firenze. Let it be another mission, a setback, problems with his family, especially his mother, him wanting to prepare himself better for his mission in Firenze, or even something related to the Templars that he had to address, considering that at this time they were full of power, since Rodrigo was Pope since 1492.

All of which wouldn't prevent Ezio from asking help from any of his assassin friends, mercenaries, or, well, ANYBODY, to learn if it's true that Savanarola took over Firenze, therefore preventing the use of previously mentioned phrase in Sequence 13 intro.

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 03:54 PM
All of which wouldn't prevent Ezio from asking help from any of his assassin friends, mercenaries, or, well, ANYBODY, to learn if it's true that Savanarola took over Firenze, therefore preventing the use of previously mentioned phrase in Sequence 13 intro.
That phrase is what`s in the way..there`s no logical workaround..

Gil_217
08-20-2013, 03:57 PM

But don't you think it would be incredibly stupid and unrealistic that Ezio only knew about Savonarola's take over in 1497, 3 years after it happened. One would assume he would know about it earlier, with all his resources, informants and spies. Probably all of Italia knew about it by 1495/1496, so yeah. Very hard to believe.

roostersrule2
08-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Maybe Savanarola didn't really use the Apple until 1497?

Farlander1991
08-20-2013, 03:58 PM
But don't you think it would be incredibly stupid and unrealistic that Ezio only knew about Savonarola's take over in 1497, 3 years after it happened. One would assume he would know about it earlier, with all his resources, informants and spies. Probably all of Italia knew about it by 1495/1496, so yeah. Very hard to believe.

Unless he was out searching for Codex pages (therefore being away from most of his resources) and didn't know if those news are to be believed?

Assassin_M
08-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Unless he was out searching for Codex pages (therefore being away from most of his resources) and didn't know if those news are to be believed?
Well, how long would that take? distance between cities and just roaming the entire cities to find the pages wont take much time..

Gil_217
08-20-2013, 04:07 PM

Very hard to believe that for 3 years he would manage to avoid hearing the news about Savonarola's take over. Just impossible in my opinion.

Renaissance's account of these events make much more sense.

But like I said, to each their own. I respect your point of view.

ze_topazio
08-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Same reason why he took 20 something years to discover Rodrigo, a very famous Cardinal, lived in Rome.

itsamea-mario
08-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Same reason why he took 20 something years to discover Rodrigo, a very famous Cardinal, lived in Rome.

I imagine he knew who the pope was, didn't attack the vatican till he knew it was urgent.
Attacking the vatican is bad.

Farlander1991
08-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Well, how long would that take? distance between cities and just roaming the entire cities to find the pages wont take much time..

Tracking the pages themselves would take most of the time. Even with the help of the map Caterina's husband was making (if I'm not mistaken, she gave it to Ezio, right?), because the thing about pages and everything - they could be relocated, or location marked just in general.

Very hard to believe that for 3 years he would manage to avoid hearing the news about Savonarola's take over. Just impossible in my opinion.

Renaissance's account of these events make much more sense.

But like I said, to each their own. I respect your point of view.

And I do yours. I'm not saying that what I propose is perfect. But between the "Hears Savanarola takes over Firenze in 1494/95 and confirms for himself only in 97" and "Doesn't hear Savanarola takes over Firenze until 97 when he decides to check it out and confirm that", I choose the second option.

ze_topazio
08-20-2013, 04:48 PM
I imagine he knew who the pope was, didn't attack the vatican till he knew it was urgent.
Attacking the vatican is bad.

I'm talking about before Rodrigo even became Pope, although to be fair it seems like Ezio was getting all his info from the likes of Mario and Machiavelli and most likely they purposely hide that from him.

Since apparently Rome was supposed to be in the game, maybe in the original idea they had for the story, Ezio would go after him much sooner, but since they had to cut Rome from the game we end up with an Ezio completely oblivious of the famous Rodrigo Borgia location.

Farlander1991
08-20-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm talking about before Rodrigo even became Pope, although to be fair it seems like Ezio was getting all his info from the likes of Mario and Machiavelli and most likely they purposely hide that from him.

Since apparently Rome was supposed to be in the game, maybe in the original idea they had for the story, Ezio would go after him much sooner, but since they had to cut Rome from the game we end up with an Ezio completely oblivious of the famous Rodrigo Borgia location.

Ezio knew that the Spaniard is from Roma, since the conspirators have mentioned it in the conversations he eavesdropped. It's just that he was getting rid of them first. And then Borgia became the Pope.

lonelygod91
08-20-2013, 07:41 PM

I believe Ubisoft could easily explain it. But to each their own.

EDIT: I know it's not exactly the same thing, considering Savonarola's case was more urgent, but it's not the first time Ezio takes his time to address something like this. When he arrived in Venezia for the first time, in 1481, he already knew he had to kill Emilio, but he only did it 4 years later, in 1485. Not exactly the same thing, I know, but still worth to mention it.

The Emilio thing I can sort of accept as it may have taken four years to curb his influence in Venice (similar to what Ezio does with the Borgia in Brotherhood) but it was rushed for Desmond's benefit. Plus, the novel mentions that Emilio had other holdings abroad so he may not have been in the city for extended periods of time.

Another time jump that also makes no sense is when Ezio leaves Florence in 1480, has the whole carriage chase, goes through Forli and then a boat to Venice with Leonardo. And then suddenly it's 1481?? How the hell did it take a whole year to get a boat ride from Forli to Venice?

lonelygod91
08-20-2013, 07:45 PM

Why?

I really, really like your theory! That logically accounts for most of the gap. It's a pity Ubisoft didn't put this level of thought into the chronology. I know it was DLC but still. BTW, the novel has Ezio go to Florence and meet Marcello before Discovery as he arrives there a year after his Forli investigation (and spent several months there recuperating). I'm going by the assumption that the stuff in Venice, 1492 happened after he got back from Spain, though there's no help from the novel as it doesn't cover the events in Discovery.