PDA

View Full Version : step vs free movement/turn based.

patpierson
08-18-2013, 10:29 PM
I have played all the MM games many times. Have just finished a new playthrough of 6, 7, and 8.PLEASE have free movement and the ability to chang to turn from freeflow or stay in turn based in battles. like 6 , 7, and 8 did.Even the terrible mm9 had this feature.If you do not do this I am afraid the game will fail. Then developrs will decid there is no more market for the gams. MM will die for good.Or you can take the time to do it right and it will be a hit. Thia is really important to a LOT of people.

Melnorme1984
08-18-2013, 10:43 PM
If you do not do this I am afraid the game will fail.

Legend of Grimrock (grid-based) and Shadowrun Returns (turn-based) didn't fail.

If MMX fails it'll be due to bugginess, boringness, or a failure of marketing, not due to its basic features.

narupley
08-18-2013, 11:27 PM
or a failure of marketing

This.

Melnorme1984
08-19-2013, 02:34 AM
Yeah, probably. I do think they have a solid marketing hook here - "Remember Grimrock? Well, this game is like that, but with NPCs, story, beautiful outdoor areas, and more tactical turn-based combat, like a first person XCOM!"

Starting from tomorrow they're going to be building up awareness with their Early Access version - which hopefully isn't too buggy to be enjoyable. With Ubisoft's marketing muscle, I think it's not impossible to generate a decent amount of hype for this game. They really need to pressure sites like Rock Paper Shotgun to provide more coverage though, because they're doing a pretty awful job at the moment. The niche RPG sites can't carry this game alone.

WarBaby2
08-19-2013, 07:20 AM
I don't really think the mode of movement will make or break this game - it's design and playability will. After the disaster that was Realms of Arkania - BoD (which had free movement, but was broken in almost every other aspect), MMX has to redeem the classical RPG revival trend and get it back on track.