PDA

View Full Version : Will buy ONLY if NO CLIENT ATTACHED

fumbleumble
08-16-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm thoroughly sick and tired of mandatory bloatware installs.. SO sick, in fact, that I refuse to play ball anymore and I simply miss out the games (even if I REALLY want to play them) that force a data trawling shop window to be installed on my computer.

So Limbic... HEAR THIS. If the game comes as is then you will have a purchase.. but, should you or Ubi decide it is necessary to foist some garbage software on us, simply so you can use our data that these clients trawl for, then I will avoid this like the plague it is.

No client, or no purchase.

FranBurns
08-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Sorry this game forces you to use their annoying Uplay software.

fumbleumble
08-16-2013, 08:29 PM
FranBurns.

Ok, thank you for the info... shame, but no buy.

Ravens Klaws
08-16-2013, 11:13 PM
this game forces you to use a one time uplay activation, but this is not the fault of limbic but of ubisofts idiotic policies as all of their games must incoroporate uplay.

del180824051615
08-17-2013, 05:00 PM
I dont understand.. Ubisoft is just... they honestly can earn alot of $ from PCs. They just need to remove Uplay.

Maomor
08-17-2013, 06:42 PM
I have resigned my resistance against certain kinds of online attachment eventually (decided this year). It's been 10 years since people ignorantly kept on buying games despite all these online launchers, activations etc. Yes - 10 years - because it all started with Steam and Half-Life 2. People could have voted with their purse against it, but they didn't. And now it's too late because it's "common" and "normal" that you need some kind of online-activation.

Therefore... the resistance doesn't matter anymore, because it's a neglectable minority. A simple activation is something one can cope with. And no: UPlay is not worse than Steam. If people want to point fingers at someone, they should start with Steam and everyone who supported it during these 10 years.

narupley
08-17-2013, 07:28 PM
As long as it's a one time activation and I could technically cut off the internet link afterwards, that's fine with me. Those resisting are in the minority because it's not that big of a deal.

Melnorme1984
08-17-2013, 07:36 PM
As long as it's a one time activation and I could technically cut off the internet link afterwards, that's fine with me. Those resisting are in the minority because it's not that big of a deal.

A lot of people are more annoyed by the fact that they need to have another program installed on their PC than they are by any online requirements. If the game itself had a built-in online activation they wouldn't care as much as they care about having a Uplay icon littering their desktop.

I can understand that, although it seems a bit OCD.

ryanyau
08-17-2013, 07:50 PM
I have resigned my resistance against certain kinds of online attachment eventually (decided this year). It's been 10 years since people ignorantly kept on buying games despite all these online launchers, activations etc. Yes - 10 years - because it all started with Steam and Half-Life 2. People could have voted with their purse against it, but they didn't. And now it's too late because it's "common" and "normal" that you need some kind of online-activation.

Therefore... the resistance doesn't matter anymore, because it's a neglectable minority. A simple activation is something one can cope with. And no: UPlay is not worse than Steam. If people want to point fingers at someone, they should start with Steam and everyone who supported it during these 10 years.

You shouldn't blame Steam. It had the balls to introduce online distribution when everyone was blind and
still using the ancient retail model. Because of Steam, the average gamers are now finally able to afford
to buy games legit due to their annual steam sales.

Can you imagine a world without steam? We will probably still be paying $70 minimum for GTA4 at this moment.
(some retail shops are actually still charging this amount if you can imagine that)

Its because of the success of Steam that we have all these ****ing copycats trying to emulate
Steam's success and force people to install all sorts of junk to play. Eg: Origin, Uplay etc.
Its easy to blame Steam for being the first to introduce this, but they have done a world of good in a way.
If you wanna blame, then blame those ****ing copycats who don't have a clue on how to innovate.

fumbleumble
08-18-2013, 03:55 AM
As long as it's a one time activation and I could technically cut off the internet link afterwards, that's fine with me. Those resisting are in the minority because it's not that big of a deal. .

If that is your attitude then you are undeserving of the freedoms that remain for you.....However this phrase "Those resisting are in the minority because it's not that big of a deal.".. considering this is a matter of freedoms.. I'm pretty sure similar words were spoken by the ordinary German population sometime during 1938.

Your opinion matters not at all, and your words are merely a waste of your own time.. not to mention your opinion being one of abject ignorance... Since when does being in the minority also mean being in the wrong? It is my experience in general that it is the majority who are more guilty of leading in the wrong direction.. After all, in almost ANY circumstance or situation that one can imagine, it is only ever the few who think about the ramifications of a given situation... the masses just fall into line, after all we are in the situation we are in BECAUSE of the majorities action/decisions... So Yes, your ignorance is exactly as I would expect it to be, grounded in an unsupported complacency of the majority being right.

@maomor "I have resigned my resistance against certain kinds of online attachment eventually (decided this year). It's been 10 years since people ignorantly kept on buying games despite all these online launchers, activations etc. Yes - 10 years - because it all started with Steam and Half-Life 2. People could have voted with their purse against it, but they didn't. And now it's too late because it's "common" and "normal" that you need some kind of online-activation. "

I didn't play ball then, and I won't play now.

@Melmorme1984... "although it seems a bit OCD."

Really? Slurs based on a medical condition?.... what's the matter? Can't get away with being sexist or racist (or just a plain run of the mill bully?) anymore, having to find some other misfortunate sector of society to bolster your self image?.. Throwing around insults doesn't make your 'input' more interesting, it just highlights your own inadequacies... Which is probably what you are trying to hide by marginalising someone less fortunate than yourself, in the first place, so in the end, your comments are simply self-defeating.

narupley
08-18-2013, 04:04 AM
If that is your attitude then you are undeserving of the freedoms that remain for you.....However this phrase "Those resisting are in the minority because it's not that big of a deal.".. considering this is a matter of freedoms.. I'm pretty sure similar words were spoken by the ordinary German population sometime during 1938.

Your opinion matters not at all, and your words are merely a waste of your own time.. not to mention your opinion being one of abject ignorance... Since when does being in the minority also mean being in the wrong? It is my experience in general that it is the majority who are more guilty of leading in the wrong direction.. After all, in almost ANY circumstance or situation that one can imagine, it is only ever the few who think long term and/or about the ramifications of a given situation... the masses just fall into line, after all we are in the situation we are in BECAUSE of the majorities action/decisions... So Yes, your ignorance is exactly as I would expect it to be, grounded in an unsupported complacency of the majority being right.

@maomor "I have resigned my resistance against certain kinds of online attachment eventually (decided this year). It's been 10 years since people ignorantly kept on buying games despite all these online launchers, activations etc. Yes - 10 years - because it all started with Steam and Half-Life 2. People could have voted with their purse against it, but they didn't. And now it's too late because it's "common" and "normal" that you need some kind of online-activation. "

I didn't play ball then, and I won't play now.

@Melmorme1984... "although it seems a bit OCD."

Really? Slurs based on a medical condition?.... what's the matter? Can't get away with being sexist or racist (or just a plain run of the mill bully?) anymore, having to find some other misfortunate sector of society to bolster your self image?.. Throwing around insults doesn't make your 'input' more interesting, it just highlights your own inadequacies... Which is probably what you are trying to hide by marginalising someone less fortunate than yourself, in the first place, so in the end, your comments are simply self-defeating.

LOL

I found your picture on Facebook:

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003865097/4712849490_crying_boy_xlarge.jpeg

Go ahead, don't buy this game, or any other game off of Steam/etc. Oooh that'll make me so gosh darn angry! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm gonna DRM extra hard, just for you ;)

EDIT: Sh*t, I just stumbled across an amazing idea there!

Sponsor a Whiny Anti-DRM Child!

Pick a whiny, self-righteous DRM hater (who probably identifies himself as "anarchist" as well trololo)
For every game he would have bought but didn't (because DRM IS THE DEVIL Jimmy), you buy TWO copies of it.
He is now part of his own self-manufactured problem all because of his incessant b*tching and moaning!

Aeon1977
08-18-2013, 04:16 AM
+ 1

Tully__
08-18-2013, 07:05 AM
<troll post>
If you can't discuss the topic on the merits of your argument, it may be best for you to just leave the issue alone.

Maomor
08-18-2013, 08:18 AM
As a matter of fact fumbleumble is right. It always starts with the small things taking away your freedom.

And regarding Steam: Steam could have been introduced WITHOUT online activation of your purchased (hardcopy) offline singleplayer game. It could have made that the Steam client is forced with the game installation, but online activation is NOT forced to play the game.
Lazy people (by means of being too lazy to deactivate the button for Updates and News) would have been spammed with all the Steam-Bloatware, while other users could have simply deactivated this option. As we see most people are too lazy anyways, so *both* sides would have been served satisfactory - even the indie-developers would still get the platform presentation they need.

So the ******** with all these forced bloatware launchers started with Steam and people accepted it, no matter how much they try to defend it.

@fumbleumble: yes the point is if you want to appreciate the work of developers you need to buy it. If you can only buy the digital download-versions anymore which need to be activated only once you can at least burn it to DVD and create your own offline "hardcopy" (including a small "helper" file). This way the developer is supported and you gain your independence from online attachments.

Melnorme1984
08-18-2013, 09:14 AM
I wasn't aware that "OCD" is a slur.

Also this thread is getting dumb

eobet
08-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Uplay and Origin has made me pass on all of Ubisoft's and EA's games since those "services" became mandatory. I chose which shops I shop in, thank you, and refuse to have things I don't want forced upon me, especially when I have zero trust in particularly these two companies.

MMX will probably be the one exception simply because of its heritage, and I can't wait until the day when it appears on GoG.com.

As the trend goes, I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft shut down the developer of MMX after they have released a few DLCs. It's a terrible world in the big leagues, and nothing I want to support. Indie is where its at these days. No forced online shops, no DRM and all of the money goes to the developers themselves.

Melnorme1984
08-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Limbic Entertainment isn't owned by Ubisoft so they can't really shut them down.

doyama
08-19-2013, 03:19 AM
Limbic Entertainment isn't owned by Ubisoft so they can't really shut them down.

When your publishers funding dries up, that shuts down a company pretty damn fast.