PDA

View Full Version : When was this series at it's best?

Jexx21
08-15-2013, 06:11 PM
When do you think the AC series was at it's best?

roostersrule2
08-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Ac2.

Shahkulu101
08-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Gameplay was most fun in AC2 and Brotherhood--Revelations needed more side missions. AC3 felt largely over saturated at times but the solid parts were good fun like Captain Kidd missions. My favourite is brotherhood though it was just sheer fun--every bit of it.

AC was in the best shape in 2010.

Jexx21
08-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Just so you guys know, this is also a poll -_-

Assassin_M
08-15-2013, 06:18 PM
2007/2009 (not AC II, though....just its hype) definitely for me..

ACR began salvaging things and AC III has the right direction in mind....it still hasn't reached AC I level, though for me...far behind, but it`s getting there

adventurewomen
08-15-2013, 06:19 PM
I voted on all of the options except for AC: Revelations - my least favourite AC game thus far.

pirate1802
08-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Ac2.

I-Like-Pie45
08-15-2013, 06:26 PM
AC1

back when the series was about assassins vs templars

and not about warring sects of Judaism

Shahkulu101
08-15-2013, 06:32 PM
AC1

back when the series was about assassins vs templars

and not about warring sects of Judaism

Like the pirates and Mr Jackdaw.

Jexx21
08-15-2013, 06:32 PM
yet you voted for all of them.

lol u pie

Hans684
08-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Games:

1) AC Revelations

2) AC3 Liberation

3) AC2/3

4) AC

5) AC Brotherhood(not voted)

Movies:

1) AC Embers

2) AC Lineage

3) AC Ascendance

Comics:

1) AC The Fall

2) AC The Chain

3) AC1|Desmond

4) AC3|Accipiter

5) AC2|Aquilus

ladyleonhart
08-15-2013, 06:56 PM
ACI and ACIII! :D

I loved the protagonists and their stories!! ;)

ACHILLES4713
08-15-2013, 08:21 PM
For me, the series was at its best in Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, and Assassin's Creed 3. AC1: Things were simple in that game. You didn't have an overabundance of weapons, just your sword, short blade, and everyone's favorite hidden blade, each with their own usefulness. And the game most purely portrayed what is was to be an assassin. You find out where the target will be and when, and figure out the best way to approach them. Get in, do the deed, and get out. I think the only way for an AC game to get back to that simplicity would be that is has to be set in an ancient time (The Roman Republic/Empire, Babylon, Biblical Egypt, something like that). A time when technology only allowed for mano-a-mano fighting. Once you get into the more modern age, the game would have to change into more of a Splinter Cell type game (which in my mind, wouldn't be a bad thing, if done once in a while). ACR: I liked it because narratively it brought back some of the moral greyness from the first game. And some of the lines in that game were simply poetic! Darby really is a fantastic writer. AC3: Moar moral greyness! I liked AC3 because it was set in one of my favorite historical settings, but it didn't portray the Founders/patriots in the best light (greyness!); and the Templar's made some valid points throughout the story, which shows the effort that was put into the writing. And we got another minority character as the lead in a story, which you don't see very often in the video game medium, or anywhere else for that matter. Plus freaking Haythem! Hell yeah! :D All in all, I think the devs have learned that mustach twirling villians aren't really interesting and that what they need to do to keep the frachise successful is to have smart writing and interesting characters. Hopefully this will be a continuing trend for the franchise.

pacmanate
08-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Ac2

FrankieSatt
08-15-2013, 09:19 PM
AC 2 is what turned me onto this series. It was, in my opinion, the best setting and the best ancestor.

SixKeys
08-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Between AC1-ACB. AC1 is still the most original experience and none of the sequels have come close to it in atmosphere. I don't think they even want to take it to that level anymore. AC started out as a semi-realistic assassin simulator and has evolved into a GTA clone in historical times. Which is a formula that works great when they get it right. AC2 and ACB got it right due to the wealth of content and the mysterious modern day story that reached its culmination in ACB. Things started sliding downhill in ACR: the game's only city was beautiful but small and didn't have many activities outside the main story. By this point it also became obvious the modern story wasn't heading to a big, mind-blowing payoff - the devs seemed to be just making things up as they went along.

I'm not expecting much from the modern day story at this point, but I at least hope AC4 will bring back the sense of freedom and fun that the early games had.

SteelCity999
08-15-2013, 10:42 PM
I think if you level the playing field and take away the advancements the series has made in combat(choices and countering, etc) and some of the results due to optimizing the engine and getting to know the hardware, AC2 is #1 with AC1 not far behind. The stories and how the game was presented was the best in the series/ ACB was pretty good but the story was less than what it should have been. They had a great villan and didn't do anything with it. ACR had a good story but it was short, not to mention some of the missions were just cheesy. AC3 is the big could have, should have been the best. Alot of vision but no end product - very disjointed.

They were all good though and pointing out flaws in arguably very similar games can sometimes seem harsh. They all have their flaws and shortcomings.

LoyalACFan
08-15-2013, 10:51 PM
AC1 was good but repetitive, AC2 was my favorite, ACB sucked, ACR was redemption, and AC3 was mediocre.

So IMO, around 2009.

Shahkulu101
08-15-2013, 10:53 PM
AC1 was good but repetitive, AC2 was my favorite, ACB sucked, ACR was redemption, and AC3 was mediocre.

So IMO, around 2009.

ACB sucked? Why? I can understand if it's the story but the missions and gameplay aren't particularly bad--I think their the best but that's my opinion of course and I'm just wondering what yours is?

LoyalACFan
08-15-2013, 11:13 PM
ACB sucked? Why? I can understand if it's the story but the missions and gameplay aren't particularly bad--I think their the best but that's my opinion of course and I'm just wondering what yours is?

Yeah, pretty much just the story... I actually liked the combat, but the story was absolutely terrible IMO. The Cristina missions were the only thing that legitimately contributed to Ezio's character arc.

Not to mention my dislike for full sync requirements, increasing linearity, and GUAAAAAAAAAAAARDS

Shahkulu101
08-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Yeah, pretty much just the story... I actually liked the combat, but the story was absolutely terrible IMO. The Cristina missions were the only thing that legitimately contributed to Ezio's character arc.

Not to mention my dislike for full sync requirements, increasing linearity, and GUAAAAAAAAAAAARDS

Understandable, Ezio did remain kind of stagnant and he who shall not be named was a shameful antagonist. I just loved the side missions (especially Da Vinci's machines and the borgia towers) and the new recruit system.

LoyalACFan
08-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Understandable, Ezio did remain kind of stagnant and he who shall not be named was a shameful antagonist. I just loved the side missions (especially Da Vinci's machines and the borgia towers) and the new recruit system.

Fair enough. I think I would have enjoyed the recruit system more if I didn't make Ezio such a neglectful bastard mentor :p

Shahkulu101
08-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Fair enough. I think I would have enjoyed the recruit system more if I didn't make Ezio such a neglectful bastard mentor :p

Or if you could bare Ezio saying " The liberation of Roma has begun..." like a hundred times. xD

ACfan443
08-15-2013, 11:46 PM
AC1/AC2. Went downhill after that.

DisbandedBox359
08-16-2013, 12:33 AM
ACIII for me
So ACII is winning? What a surprise

TriniAssassin85
08-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Just joined the site. Honestly, i think AC was in its best during the Ezio era. AC2 was perfect imo. The setting was excellent, the characters were interesting, the story progression kept me intruiged and Ezio himself was Charming as much as he was an Assassin with lots of personality.

I really enjoyed the Ezio era and wishfully hope theres a reboot for the next gen consoles.

LightRey
08-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Up until ACR, though it peeked at ACII and hints of the coming decline could be found in ACB and ACR. However (to me) those hints did not yet affect the experience negatively.

TriniAssassin85
08-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Up until ACR, though it peeked at ACII and hints of the coming decline could be found in ACB and ACR. However (to me) those hints did not yet affect the experience negatively.

Good Synopsis. The Assassins Creed prime is AC2 all the way to ACR (Ezio Era), with the peak being AC2.

Shahkulu101
08-18-2013, 03:27 PM
I think I do prefer the Ezio era more than AC1 and AC3. I just think that the gameplay was better in a lot of ways:

-- The A.I was not telepathic; like actual humans they could not spot action from 50 or so yards. (making the forts inferior to Borgia towers and Templar dens)
-- Platforming missions, the tombs and lairs of Romulus, were longer and more engaging. We were also rewarded better as well.
--Cities were more aesthetically pleasing and easier to traverse using parkour.
--Although I was tired of it by ACR, the economy system was simple and easy to grasp; much better than the convoluted crafting system, not to mention the horrible interface we got for it.

The stories, excluding ACR, had very one-dimensional stories villains though. Unlike in AC1 and AC3 were I much preferred the ambiguous Templars who challenged the assassin's ideals.

This brings the Ezio trilogy down a bit. Not enough though, to change my decision. They were the pinnacle of the series.

pirate1802
08-18-2013, 03:31 PM
I LOVED those Templar dens in ACR. Assassinating the captains was actually challenging and you had to plan your way to him. It had sort of AC1-esque freedom to it Good stuff.

Farlander1991
08-18-2013, 03:35 PM
The Cristina missions were the only thing that legitimately contributed to Ezio's character arc.

And, ironically enough, they contributed to Ezio's character arc of another freaking game! :D

Ezio's speech at the Bonfire seems even more emotional and arc more complete thanks to those missions, but they don't have ANYTHING to do with what was going on in ACB (though, if these missions were in ACR, they could me a nice parallel to his relationship with Sofia).

adventurewomen
08-18-2013, 04:06 PM
The Cristina missions were the only thing that legitimately contributed to Ezio's character arc.
I agree, it was here we managed to understand Ezio a little more. I felt kind of sad when Cristina died - if she didn't I think Ezio was better off with Cristina than Sofia. The whole 30 yrs older man chasing a young Sofia was awkward to play through in Revelations.

And, ironically enough, they contributed to Ezio's character arc of another freaking game! :D[

Ezio's speech at the Bonfire seems even more emotional and arc more complete thanks to those missions, but they don't have ANYTHING to do with what was going on in ACB (though, if these missions were in ACR, they could me a nice parallel to his relationship with Sofia).
Agreed. :D

Assassin_M
08-18-2013, 04:07 PM
I agree, it was here we managed to understand Ezio a little more. I felt kind of sad when Cristina died - if she didn't I think Ezio was better off with Cristina than Sofia. The whole 30 yrs older man chasing a young Sofia was awkward to play through in Revelations.
Ezio was 52 :P

Sofia was most likely late 30s

adventurewomen
08-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Ezio was 52 :P

Sofia was most likely late 30s
Yes Ezio was 52 yr old man, I thought Sofia was 25 or 30 in Revelations, Lol!

catkiller97
08-18-2013, 04:12 PM

This

Assassin_M
08-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Wait....I think she was 17 years younger than Ezio...52-17=35

So, 35 it is xD

I don`t think it`s that weird....at least it wasn't in 1511

LoyalACFan
08-18-2013, 04:13 PM

He's 17 years older. I remember thinking at the time that it was a nice touch that they set Sofia's birthdate to the year AC2 started :p

adventurewomen
08-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Wait....I think she was 17 years younger than Ezio...52-17=35

So, 35 it is xD

I don`t think it`s that weird....at least it wasn't in 1511
17 yr age gap isn't that bad, no not weird.

LOL if it was in 1511 that would be wrong.

He's 17 years older. I remember thinking at the time that it was a nice touch that they set Sofia's birthdate to the year AC2 started :p
:)

I just never remembered Sofia's birthday she looks younger than her age, which made me assume the age gap was bigger. However 17 years is fine.

Shahkulu101
08-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Ezio looked like 60 though. I felt like a sugar daddy.

adventurewomen
08-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Ezio looked like 60 though. I felt like a sugar daddy.
LMAO I thought the same, he was acting like a Sugar Daddy. LOL

Assassin_M
08-18-2013, 04:21 PM
LMAO I thought the same, he was acting like a Sugar Daddy. LOL
Legendary mentor pick up lines..

"Only the most interesting man in your life"

Shahkulu101
08-18-2013, 04:23 PM

Man I love his charisma. :p I really don't care if people say he's cliched or whatever. That line was glorious, so was his wry smile.

adventurewomen
08-18-2013, 04:24 PM

I have to admit his Charisma was great, and so was his EGO. xD

If a guy said that to me, I would have to give him a *judging you look* >_> LOL

LightRey
08-18-2013, 06:21 PM
I have to admit his Charisma was great, and so was his EGO. xD

If a guy said that to me, I would have to give him a *judging you look* >_> LOL
Isn't hat exactly what Sofia did? xD

Shahkulu101
08-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Isn't hat exactly what Sofia did? xD

Then she gave him some sort of insult in Italian. Oh and giggled--I love her giggle.

pirate1802
08-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Man I love his charisma. :p I really don't care if people say he's cliched or whatever. That line was glorious, so was his wry smile.

Hahaha agreed. I also admired his guts xD

Shahkulu101
08-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Hahaha agreed. I also admired his guts xD

Et-ziio numbah won