PDA

View Full Version : Stealth change? Rift spawn locations in PVE

MartyAmodeo
08-12-2013, 12:25 AM
Why are all of the new rifts spawning right on the borders of everyone's territory? Not a single internal rift spawn in 3 weeks. Looks like another stealth code change.

Why? Are we trying to make the cooperative world even more conducive to being selfish jerks? Small alliances will never get to fight their own rifts if they are bordered by big guys with more heroes at their disposal. This is a really dumb change that ruins yet more of the spirit of the game. C'mon guys... ask us first!!

Paul_Rotterdam
08-12-2013, 10:14 AM
The chance of an internal rift spawn is only roughly 1 out a 9 squares if you consider Rubriks cube as your alliance fields.

On top of that i like it when rifts do spawn at borders because it gives more competition and less rift whoring perhaps.

So i really do not know if you are just unlucky with spawning sites and on top i like it if its true.

terrydu
08-12-2013, 01:36 PM
I haven't noticed this. In fact, just yesterday there was a rift that spawned inside our alliance.

Though I agree that it's probably best if it spawns *outside* an alliance's territory.

MartyAmodeo
08-12-2013, 07:08 PM
How could that be the best? People whose cities are entirely contained in the alliance core would be totally screwed. And PVE is about working together, not about stealing resources from each other and sending someone into a ballista level when they planned to hit a different one. Any time you give a jerk the power to come in and screw someone, you've ruined the game, because there is no shortage of jerks.

Looks like I might be mistaken on this being in the code though. I guess it's just my usual brand of luck.

Paul_Rotterdam
08-13-2013, 09:42 PM
i just consider all rifts are mine so there is no stealing from others, they only steal from me....

hahha

Have fought succesfull with Gasparus for months over our mutual rifts and that was the cherry on the cake for playing this game.
It spices it up when you have to consider what can happen if someone closer or graal having can do. just prepare well for such an occasion.
PVE itself is a bit boring but the human -stealing- factor spices it up.

MartyAmodeo
08-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Or someone who buys legendary infiltrator skills... that's some "spice" that we can all enjoy. And the "cherry" is that in PVE, you can't even scout them to know they have this ahead of time.

I'll take my "spice" in other ways, thanks. Working together was fun in PVE. Can't really do that much anymore. Everybody is too concerned about themselves.

It's like when you're in an auditorium watching a performance and the guy in front of you decides to stand up. Now you have to stand up to see and the guy behind you can't see. Pretty soon the whole place is standing up, everyone has the same vantage that they had before, but now they can't enjoy the show because they're uncomfortable from standing.

If you want to tangle with players, there's PVP and strat worlds. Why poison PVE with selfishness too?

Paul_Rotterdam
08-14-2013, 07:09 PM
As long as there are alliances that are ranked and receiving different legacy points after the final score there is no uniform auditorium watching a performance. The hats from alliance nr. 1 in row 1 are so tall that the guys behind them need to stand up to see a bit...
If we were playing just one pool i had to surrender to your statement, now i just battled alliance nr. 1.
Finishing as alliance nr. 2 in rank that seemed logic.

MartyAmodeo
08-14-2013, 10:34 PM
In "PVE" the rewards should be relative to how well the Player performs Vs the Environment. By definition, this should take other players out of the equation. You may argue that the other players are part of the "environment", but then why is the opposing game style "versus player"? It was intended to be a distinct kind of game with different goals and strategies, and intended to minimize if not remove the influence of other players (rivals) on your results. There's still plenty of room for individual achievement within those confines, but it doesn't have to be a "zero sum game". I can achieve a certain level, and you can achieve a higher level without taking away from me. What we have now is really just Player vs. Player "lite", where your hands are tied against direct attacks. Might as well just play the real thing if you want to hurt people and take their stuff. It's far more satisfying if that is your goal.

I stand by my statement that I see no point in selfish play in PVE (or worse, rules that enable it), when there are plenty of PVP worlds out there.

Paul_Rotterdam
08-14-2013, 11:24 PM
i only attack rifts on other alliances ground if my own ground is cleared, or if i am leaving for 24 hours, then i plan a 24 hours attack.
Most of the time these outside alliance rifts were just whoaring rifts so i close them because these players tend to log in once a week or so.
i assume we will not find an agreement and no i am not too much into hurting people so PvE is were i am good at.
Just my close (sleepy) surrounding players have bad luck.

MartyAmodeo
08-15-2013, 12:51 AM
This stance seems to fly in the face of your earlier statements:

i just consider all rifts are mine so there is no stealing from others, they only steal from me....

hahha

Have fought succesfull with Gasparus for months over our mutual rifts and that was the cherry on the cake for playing this game.
It spices it up when you have to consider what can happen if someone closer or graal having can do. just prepare well for such an occasion.
PVE itself is a bit boring but the human -stealing- factor spices it up.

I realize the first statement is tongue-in-cheek, but as you continue, you seem to advocate taking things from non-idle players. The issue of farming the rifts is mostly solved because the attacking mercenary armies remain weaker after they are defeated. So there should be considerably less motivation to close someone else's rift levels now.

Unfortunately, little guys popping up next to big guys in PVE are still subject to what you refer to as "bad luck" (and I prefer to see as selfishness). You can write that off in PVP, but should it really be that way in PVE too?

Paul_Rotterdam
08-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Yah that was tongue-in-cheek, Gasparus borders were adjacent to mine and as he was subscriber he has twice more citys then i in the beginning so he was able to get lots rift in my area. Over time and increasing city amount with some seals gathered i (and fellow alliance mate) could fought back and even overwhelm Gasparus, who was losing intrest slowly in the game. (we exchanged resourses and artefacts with him, he is good player and helped me on other server in the past)
The other -long range- battles are mainly into alliance nr. 1 ground, and taking 2 days without graal, so i started after creating graal and then needed 24 hours or longer.
Most of the time i still beat them to close the rifts, where these rifts were all leveld down to the last one to take but all containing 5 rift heroes dayly walking into death and pushing sleepy alliance nr. 1 players up into the points.
I am active player, on average they just sleepy.
Local little popping up players i tend to help and exchange resourses and yah i close there rifts when above a certain level.