PDA

View Full Version : Free aim controls revealed

Wolfmeister1010
08-09-2013, 06:54 PM
If you are like me, then you were very confused about how the controls for free aiming would work out. However, after seeing them in Ash's Twitter, it seems obvious.

Basically, they are exactly like standard shooter controls.

Left trigger to aim (Lt on Xbox)

Right trigger to shoot (rt on Xbox)

You can use both of the thumb sticks to move around and use the camera.

the y and triangle button is still reserved for quick fire shooting.

Basically, these controls mean that you can not run while free aiming, which is fair. Hopefully the AI react differently based on where you shoot them.

Thanks for reading!

Assassin_M
08-09-2013, 06:56 PM
That seems pointless imo

If quick shooting is still with Y (triangle) why have the aim shot relegated to something else??

Wolfmeister1010
08-09-2013, 07:01 PM
That seems pointless imo

If quick shooting is still with Y (triangle) why have the aim shot relegated to something else??

I imagine that if you take your time with a headshot, it would kill any target. But of you quick fire, it would hit, like, in the chest, and would take more shots to take down bigger enemies. In the most recent gameplay demo, it took Edward 3 quick shots to take down a regular target, but one shot to the head from free aim to take down the guy on top of the sail

Sushiglutton
08-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Sounds ok, but I don't get why we don't walk when we move the left stick while aiming. Sounds weird. I mean can't think of any TPS were you are locked in position when you aim. No biggie though.

That seems pointless imo

Choosing target I guess. It may also be that we can only quick shoot enemies that are close (white contour) but we may be able to shoot enemies further away if we aim.

pirate1802
08-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Sounds ok, but I don't get why we don't walk when we move the left stick while aiming. Sounds weird. I mean can't think of any TPS were you are locked in position when you aim.

Resident Evil 5? Maybe wrong though..

Assassin_M
08-09-2013, 07:06 PM
It still doesn't make sense...they could`v had shooting in general aimed or not aimed be with Y

Sushiglutton
08-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Resident Evil 5? Maybe wrong though..

Maybe haven't played it :).

It still doesn't make sense...they could`v had shooting in general aimed or not aimed be with Y

Yeah one fire button would have been better. AC3 had a really terrible control layout (basically all the shoulder buttons, but one were wasted on crap), so I'm thinking they may lack talent in this area. I mean at least comparing to the bloody genius control of Arkham City :D.

ACfan443
08-09-2013, 07:30 PM
I've always been used to the shoulder (R1/L1) buttons being standard shooter controls, I've never used the triggers in a shooter, it'll take a while getting used to the change on the PS4.

ProletariatPleb
08-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Let's hope it's actually useful.

Wolfmeister1010
08-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Sounds ok, but I don't get why we don't walk when we move the left stick while aiming. Sounds weird. I mean can't think of any TPS were you are locked in position when you aim. No biggie though.

Choosing target I guess. It may also be that we can only quick shoot enemies that are close (white contour) but we may be able to shoot enemies further away if we aim.

You can walk around while aiming. You just can't run

Wolfmeister1010
08-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Let's hope it's actually useful.

You guys are such downers

Assassin_M
08-09-2013, 08:13 PM
There`s nothing to be optimistic about, what do you want us to say??

"ohmagodz, trigger to shootz..ORGASMIC"? xD

Wolfmeister1010
08-09-2013, 08:21 PM
There`s nothing to be optimistic about, what do you want us to say??

"ohmagodz, trigger to shootz..ORGASMIC"? xD

...I guess not

ProletariatPleb
08-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I don't see what's there to be excited about controls, lol

Unless they're going back to the puppeteer control scheme.

Wolfmeister1010
08-09-2013, 08:35 PM
I don't see what's there to be excited about controls, lol

Unless they're going back to the puppeteer control scheme.

I just feel like shooting with just the triangle button is really weird and unnatural. The option for regular shooting controls just makes me happier

Jexx21
08-09-2013, 09:04 PM
What are you guys going on about? This sounds great for the free-aim system. The top face button is still there for quick-firing, and in free-aim it's switched to the high profile button. Sounds brilliant if you ask me.

Ash also said that each action has a low-profile/high-profile variation. Sounds like the puppeteer system.

Wolfmeister1010
08-09-2013, 09:06 PM
What are you guys going on about? This sounds great for the free-aim system. The top face button is still there for quick-firing, and in free-aim it's switched to the high profile button. Sounds brilliant if you ask me.

Ash also said that each action has a low-profile/high-profile variation. Sounds like the puppeteer system.

Lol I'm pretty sure using guns is high profile either way...

Jexx21
08-09-2013, 09:10 PM
..well, yea. I think he meant for each melee action. (and moving. walking being low-profile, free-running being high profile)

OSantaClownO
08-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Wait wait wait.

If RT is shooting...
They moved running :O ?!

MrDynogames
08-10-2013, 10:08 AM
In aiming mode RT is for shooting. But if not in aiming mode then it's gone back to its job starting high-profile.

SamBushen24
08-10-2013, 10:21 AM
To be honest guys, this makes perfect sense. The button Y or Triangle will still be used for combo fighting, so you counter an enemy press the Y or Triangle and you do a combo move with the gun. But like when your on top of the sails and need that headshot like in the demo, you hold the left trigger and fire with the right trigger. You got to remember back in the 1700's, guns WEREN'T the most accurate thing, and probably couldn't deal with the kickback very well either. So running along trying to shoot in my opinion would be silly. Your accuracy would probably be like Stevie Wonder's.

Yes Sid you were right. Stupid ipad thinking it knows best!

ProletariatPleb
08-10-2013, 10:29 AM
You mean WEREN'T the most accurate.

poptartz20
08-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Ha! well from what it sounds like, for those that have a ps3 like Uncharted's gun usage.

GunnarGunderson
08-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Hopefully the AI react differently based on where you shoot them.

Hopefully the AI react to having a gun pointed at them, especially if they've just been disarmed and it's their gun being pointed at them

Jexx21
08-10-2013, 04:52 PM
We probably can't disarm guns..

ladyleonhart
08-10-2013, 05:00 PM
We probably can't disarm guns..

Human shields then.

Navelintel
08-10-2013, 11:47 PM
All good stuff Wolfmeister. BTW, what does the text beneath your signature mean?

LoyalACFan
08-11-2013, 12:14 AM
@ Assassin_M and those wondering why Triangle isn't used in free-aim-

The Y/Triangle button is typically pressed with your right thumb, but your right thumb is going to be aiming with the right stick. Meaning that you would have to line up your shot and move your thumb from the stick to the face button to fire, leaving a small delay between when you picked your target and when you could actually shoot. Thus it would only be effective against stationary targets; a running target would be next to impossible. The trigger buttons would be infinitely better.

Jexx21
08-11-2013, 12:34 AM
All good stuff Wolfmeister. BTW, what does the text beneath your signature mean?

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Navelintel
08-11-2013, 12:45 AM
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

And itís obviously rude to ignore an honest question. If fantasy abounds and language loses its integrity, then no one shares or learns a thing as it all amounts to gibberish.