PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Mission Club #02 - Bearer of Mixed Tidings (AC:R)

BATISTABUS
08-09-2013, 02:27 AM
AC:R Sequence 6: Memory 3

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/5/55/Mixed_tiding_2.png

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Bearer_of_Mixed_Tidings

"Ah, Tarik. He should not have been so secretive. What a terrible way to do a good thing." - Suleiman I

Welcome back, and sorry about the delay. Without further adieu, the next mission up for review in the ACMC series is ACR's "Bearer of Mixed Tidings". Even though this is a short and simple mission, it still managed to stand out in my memory due to all of the approach options. After wrongly killing Tarik, Ezio must deliver Prince Suleiman the bad news. The mission gives you almost the entire perimeter of the palace grounds to infiltrate from, allowing you to approach from the walls, on ground, or from the air. The final cut-scene shows an awkward encounter between Suleiman and Amhet, where Ezio is forced to do some convincing role-playing. The player must finally escape the area unseen.

For the purposes of the Mission Club, I would like for you to try implementing any type of bomb into one of your approaches (aside from completing the mission with Full Synch and without Full Synch). Do you feel like bombs added anything meaningful to this mission? Did you see any interesting possibilities that would not have been possible without the use of a bomb?

The Full Synchronization restriction is "Do not kill anyone".

Other things to consider:
-difficulty
-options (freedom)
-desynchronization parameters (do not be detected)
-the layout of guards, Romanies, and cover spots
-mission length
-do you think the Full Synch requirement added anything meaningful?
-narrative elements
-sound (music, sound effects, voice acting) and aesthetics

VOTE ON THE NEXT MISSION (AC3)

http://poll.pollcode.com/avvh1

---------------

The purpose of the Assassin's Creed Mission Club is similar to that of a book club; periodically I will start a thread, and instead of talking about a chapter of a book, we'd talk about a mission from one of the Assassin's Creed games. We'd mostly do missions from Brotherhood, Revelations, and AC3, since missions are most easily repayable and they are the main console games most people own.

We talk about the level design, difficulty, atmosphere, optional objectives/full synchronization requirements, and anything else of relevance. Would you have changed something? Would you have wanted more of a narrative element? Would you have made the optional objective mandatory or a mandatory restriction optional? Should it be longer or shorter? Was it perfect? What made it so good? There are many things to consider for what makes a mission "good" or "bad", and we try to cover all of that.

Participants are required to replay the mission before talking about it so it would be fresh in your mind, and you'd have to complete the mission both with and without optional objectives in mind. I will always create a basic outline of things to write about that you may use, but responses would be expected to be in paragraph form whether or not you use the outline. If you don't have an opportunity to replay the mission, you may still chime in with an opinion, but please let us know that you haven't played it recently.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/761359-Would-anyone-be-interested-in-an-AC-Mission-Club

----------------

Previous Missions:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/762746-Assassin-s-Creed-Mission-Club-01-Outgunned-(AC-B)

Assassin_M
08-09-2013, 03:05 AM
Acknowledged....will be ready in a day or 2

pirate1802
08-09-2013, 05:17 AM
I'll get to it. :)

DELTA Kristian
08-09-2013, 10:08 AM
ACR Revelations was a piece of cake to make 100% except the Cappadocia mission in wich Ezio would always bug and get hit on his sword * didnt even take a health bar 0___0

DELTA Kristian
08-09-2013, 10:10 AM
A bomb could be used. But i myself prefer just taking the edges slowly.

Shahkulu101
08-09-2013, 11:17 AM
I'll have it ready today or tomorrow. I commend you for your creativity.

Sigv4rd
08-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Will start on this soon (went on a camping trip for the weekend)
Good choice of mission by the way :)

Assassin_M
08-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Did it..will have my report ready soon

Jexx21
08-12-2013, 11:59 PM
i'm playing gta4 atm sorry buds

Sigv4rd
08-13-2013, 01:45 AM
Just finished the mission know on to the writing!

BATISTABUS
08-13-2013, 08:32 PM
I always liked Ezio, but I REALLY liked him in Revelations. His role of being a mysterious man from another land one step removed from the equation really lead to some interesting dynamics. Even though Ezio is a personal guest of Suleiman, he still has to get into the palace undetected to preserve the secrecy of the situation. This mission, along with the conversations that were held during cut-scenes, really demonstrated this, and I really enjoyed that aspect.

When originally attempting to beat this mission, I had a bit of difficulty. I ended up reaching Suleiman's balcony by parachuting in from a tower, but I was unable to replicate that this time. I got into the palace by use of the Romanies at the front gate, and then got past most of the guards by running behind walls or other architectural features. There were really a lot of guards, and I couldn't help but be seen by guards a few times (not detected, just the yellow marker). There were a few times where I really wished the game had some of AC3's new cover mechanics (like I did in ACMC01).

When replaying the mission for my bomb attempt, I decided that I wanted to fulfill the Full Synch requirement, so I used non-lethal bombs. I crafted a sticky light signal bomb and a timer lambs blood bomb. I did not use the lambs blood bomb properly, but it was pretty funny to watch the crowd freak out. Rather than walk through the front gate, I climbed over the wall that has buildings built into it. The light screen bomb got me past one group of Janissaries blocking a gateway, but I could've just as easily taken another path. When escaping the level, I blatantly ran out into the open. I was seen by multiple groups, and while they were staring at me, I jumped into a haystack. They almost instantly gave up, and I became incognito again. Although this is more of an AI problem than a level design problem, I did think it was rather odd. Overall, due to the vastness of the restricted area, any progress that was made with a bomb was lost in a sea of other possibilities. While they allowed you to mix things up a bit, I don't think they really added anything to the experience.

When playing to kill, I found that I actually had to go out of my way to kill an enemy. Perhaps it was the path that I chose (the area of the wall closest to Suleiman), but I basically walked straight towards the goal. I killed a group of Janissaries with the Arrow Storm, but I just as easily could have waited for them to walk by. You are able to throw bombs or shoot guns/crossbows from within Romani blend groups, which is a somewhat strange feature. Since Janissaries do not die from one crossbow bolt, this is less broken than it could potentially be, but you still have the option to throw lethal bombs.

While the options to complete this mission were seemingly limitless, no matter how I tried to restrict myself, the experience felt more-or-less the same. Due to horrible AI mechanics, I always ended up running form place to place, and then hiding somewhere when I came into line-of-sight. Other Revelations issues, such as the Arrow Storm or Romanies, just made overcoming obstacles one-button solutions. I really liked the spirit and structure of this mission, but with the mechanics that exist within Revelations, I don't think it shined as brightly as it could have otherwise.

BATISTABUS
08-16-2013, 07:10 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7jci7ICW91rxsz0lo1_500.jpg

Waiting for responses...=P

ladyleonhart
08-16-2013, 07:18 PM
I haven't played AC: R, but... I'll definitely participate when it's ACIII!! ;)

Also, when it's ACIV in future!! :D

Rugterwyper32
08-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Downloading Dead Rising 2 thanks to the Games with Gold thing Microsoft's got going (a good parting gift from Microsoft considering I won't get the XBone anyway), so I'm thinking I'll play this mission tomorrow and review it. So hold out for tomorrow!

Assassin_M
08-16-2013, 07:45 PM
AC:R Sequence 6: Memory 3

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/5/55/Mixed_tiding_2.png
So first I`d like to congratulate you for choosing this. it was brilliant.:D

It`s a great infiltration mission. Although there should`v been a bit of story behind it, like Suleiman telling Ezio the first time they`v met that he can`t allow his guards to know Ezio`s presence and then Ezio agreeing seeing as he wants his involvement to be secret, but oh well..

The Playground is sufficiently large and is divided into sections. A mostly factious and hiding spots section, a blending section and a free running section. each has its challenges from soldier positions to hiding spots placement and it`s all usable and makes sense as in ALL of the positioning is rational to use. It`s placed well in the environment. It`s not extremely hard nor easy. It`s just right. add to that that it doesn't remove a particular way of approach. it keeps the factions for example in the first section and then adds hiding spots later inside, it doesn't replace it..

--------------------------
-difficulty: Like I said, It was JUST right. for once, I didn't mind being desyced when detected. it made sense here. There was also a good amount of extensions of archetecture like rocks, small towers or other buildings and those served as emprovised hiding spots. I sometimes crouched behind shorter walls to avoid being see by archers.
-options (freedom): there`s a lot. There`s more than 2 routes, lots of well placed hiding posts, factions and blending groups and they all mesh well together. nothing felt disjointed or out of place
-the layout of guards, Romanies, and cover spots: There`s enough to make you reach Suleiman in terms of hiding spots, but the Romanies were a tiny BIT too much at the start, although it makes some sense as when you take your first group of Romanies, they may disperse due to Guards.
-mission length: Excellent. it all depends on your approach and which route you take and each has a satisfying length.
-do you think the Full Synch requirement added anything meaningful?: It did. What it added is that it worked well with the desync restriction.
-narrative elements: Like I said above, there should`v been a little story to it.
-sound (music, sound effects, voice acting) and aesthetics: AC always had good sound effects as for the music, I loved it ever since I heard it in the first gamescom 2011 gameplay

------------------
For the purposes of the Mission Club, I would like for you to try implementing any type of bomb into one of your approaches: I used the bomb once in my first approach through the party courtyard. I had a choice of making the Romanies distract the guards or just throw a diversion bomb (didn't want to use a smoke bomb because it`d look stupid "cough cough hey, where did that come from? dunno lets keep standing here, dude" I used a diversion bomb from afar and it proved risky, because I accidentally attracted another group of guards, but I passed no problems..

All in all, great infiltration mission and it`s not in the game once, it`s a lot of times, because there really is so much freedom here and lots of options.

BATISTABUS
08-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks M. Yeah, I feel like this is one of the few times that desynch really worked as well. If Ezio had actually been caught, not only would his life have been in danger, but Suleiman would have suffered as well.

Anyone else?

Rugterwyper32
08-22-2013, 03:52 AM
I blame Dead Rising 2 for consuming too much of my time and not getting around to this. Considering I have lots of stuff to do tomorrow, I probably won't be able to get around to it 'till Friday. Gonna try to get it done then.

Sigv4rd
08-22-2013, 08:53 PM
ASSASSIN'S CREED: REVELATIONS: Sequince 6 Memory 3
---A Bearer of Mixed Tidings---
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/assassins-creed-revelations/thumb/8/8b/6.3a.jpg/228px-6.3a.jpg

-ATTEMPTS:
Full Sync: 2, because one of the Romanies decided to chase a butterfly rather than helping old man Ezio avoid detection :rolleyes:
Half Sync: 2, Ezio forgot he was wearing two hidden blades, and air assassinated a Janissary right next to his bestest friend in the whole world :p

-FREEDOM: This is a "true" Assassin's Creed mission, the mission itself offers plenty of freedom to the player in the way they approach the objective. I did feel that more civilians should have been available to encourage social stealth, but otherwise the Romanies served the purpose of blending quit well. I have actually recently replayed this mission 6 times (mostly because of procrastination for this club lol) and each time I used a mostly different path.

-DIFFICULTY: Assassin's Creed has never been difficult in really any aspect, however this mission is a good example of AC difficulty done right. The detection=desync worked mostly in the missions favor, mainly due to the fact that it felt appropriate for narrative and mission design (Though I wish the series had more missions without the fail for detection) The architecture itself was a highlight of the mission was certainly the architecture which works well with stealth stealthy maneuvering.

-GUARD LAYOUT: Very good, though at times I felt that guards may have been a bit too conveniently placed, making stealth a little too easy.

-LENGTH: PERFECT! Simply perfect length for an AC mission. Not too long to the point were detection desync wasn't annoying, but long enough to make the mission enjoyable.

-FULL SYNC: One of the very few times I felt that it made sense, and benefited the mission. From a narrative perspective it made actual sense sense to by comparison to Outgunned from AC:B (same sync requirement)

-NARRATIVE ELEMENTS: Reasonably good, could have been more to Ezio and Suleiman. Also found it odd that Ezio named his son Marcello and that Suleiman reffed to Ezio as such, Seems like a weird thing to name your kid after...

-VISUALS/ATMOSPHERE: It was nice that they stayed within the city of Constantinople (the best AC city IMHO), Also loved the architecture.

-AUDIO/SOUNDTRACK: AC soundtrack is awesome as usual, as was voice acting.

Notes:
I avoided using my apprentices, during this mission as they make a non full sync run, incredibly easy and I think that in general for the future Apprentice usage shouldn't be allowed...
I forgot to unequip the Master Assassin armor (which makes running silent) I hope this is okay...
Lol sticky splinter bombs :D

8.5/10

Sigv4rd
08-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Looking forward to the next Mission *crosses fingers for AC3*

Assassin_M
08-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Looking forward to the next Mission *crosses fingers for AC3*
*crosses fingers for it not be one of them stupid missions*

poptartz20
08-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Umm... this seems fun! Sadly I no longer have revelations! only AC3. :/

one day I might go out and but the Trilogy.

Sigv4rd
08-22-2013, 09:21 PM
*crosses fingers for it not be one of them stupid missions*

I have faith in Batistabus, he's given us good missions thus far and I have no reason to doubt that he will for AC3...
Also would love to do some AC1 missions (you can replay those)
If I may make a suggestion for an AC3 mission.

http://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/aciii_frontier_johnsonassassination_screenshot.jpg ?w=600&h=337
Assassin's Creed 3 Sequence 6 Mission 4 Hostile Negotiations

BATISTABUS
08-22-2013, 09:33 PM
That's the mission I was planning on. Since I had infiltration missions for ACB and ACR, I was either going to have this, or the redcoat infiltration mission as Haytham. I guess I'll let you guys vote on that.

http://poll.pollcode.com/avvh1

As for stupid missions...I plan to have them eventually. While I've been picking missions I've enjoyed for the most part, its good to point what went wrong in missions that stood out for negative reasons. =P

adventurewomen
08-22-2013, 09:35 PM
I have faith in Batistabus, he's given us good missions thus far and I have no reason to doubt that he will for AC3...
Also would love to do some AC1 missions (you can replay those)

http://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/aciii_frontier_johnsonassassination_screenshot.jpg ?w=600&h=337
I love this mission! It's one of the best in the AC3.

Rugterwyper32
08-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Well, voted for Inflitrating Southgate as I think the better (if not best) missions from each game should be saved for last. Infiltrating Southgate I remember liking a lot, but not as much as Hostile Negotiations which seems good for a later mission (probably some good relief after a ridiculous mission, too)

I also bear good tidings. Got much less to do today than I thought, so I'll be able to have this review done this night. Let's hope it all goes well.

Sigv4rd
08-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Voted for Hostile Negotiations, but I'm also fine with Infiltrating South gate, the only reason I prefer Hostile Negotiations is because Connor has every tool available (rope darts <3)

adventurewomen
08-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Just voted for Hostile Negotiations! :D

William Johnson in this sequence was an ***!

Assassin_M
08-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Voted for fort`s infiltration....dat general..

Sigv4rd
08-22-2013, 11:31 PM
As for stupid missions...I plan to have them eventually. While I've been picking missions I've enjoyed for the most part, its good to point what went wrong in missions that stood out for negative reasons.

Are you planning to do examples from each game like you have thus far? Infiltrations seem to be the trend currently... So does this mean we will have three "Bad" missions from each game?

Rugterwyper32
08-23-2013, 09:58 PM
So here we go, took longer to get around to this than I thought it would but time for it.
And so, we have the current mission. Infiltrating into Topkapi Palace to deliver news. Sounds simple enough, doesn't it? This is, admittedly, a rather simple mission, which I didn't appreciate much the first time around (probably because of my awe having just come out of what I consider the best mission in the game) but upon replaying it, I've come to appreciate it a lot more. So here we go, dividing this review into a few points like the previous one.

Level Design:

One key element in open world games like this is that you need to balance design for missions and design for freeroaming. Specially in the case of games where you don't have much in the way of dungeon-like environments. So that's where the design of Topkapi Palace comes into play. This series focused on accuracy to a certain degree, and Topkapi Palace, from all I've seen, delivers, but some elements of the design in-game are key as well. Guards are located in good strategic positions making your advance enough of a challenge. As it stands, Topkapi Palace is open enough, with a variety of routes possible to make it to the objective and for the escape, through rooftops, courtyards and all sorts of ins and outs in the palace. So how did I go about it? Well...

Approaching Suleiman:

I attempted two routes, both taking into consideration the full-sync option. The first one was the more basic one the game hints towards, using courtesans to make it to the back entrance of the palace and advancing through the rooftops, a more direct route towards Suleiman. This one is straightforward enough, and probably the one most have taken towards him at one point or another. It's a basic, straightforward route, but still provides enough of a challenge, specially when it comes to getting full-sync as it's far easier to just kill guards on the rooftops.
The second route I took was more... unique, admittedly. From the palace gates, I went back through Hagia Eirene, followed by going into the rooftops using sticky smoke bombs on the rooftop guards to keep them from noticing me (just had to deal with three, so that helped), and running down to ground level, allowing Jannisaries to get suspicious of me, but being fast enough to get to Suleiman before getting detected.
In both cases, one thing was clear: The best way to get to Suleiman was through avoiding the courtyard of the palace at all costs. I noticed a few more paths I could have taken as well, but those two were the ones to stick to.
After getting to Suleiman, you get a cutscene, and then comes the escape. Sure, getting in is one thing, but getting out is essential. So how did I go around it?

The escape:

Again, I tried two different methods: Using the romani road which the game presents you with, and a more risky, reckless approach. The romani approach was simple enough: Use romanies to move around undetected and lure guards who are blocking paths, make it to the wall and jump down to the rooftops of Constantinople (at least that's the way I go around it). Nothing too complex, and the game provides romanies in multiple places allowing for a variety of paths to be taken to whatever exit you can make.
The reckless path proved more fun, though. Immediately after the cutscene, I made sure to run full speed ahead over the balcony to the area down below, made a leap of faith from the rail of the stairs to a bed of flowers and dove into the ocean. It also proved one of the major problems of the AI, too: The AI is way too slow to react. I kept moving fast and kept being noticed, yet not one guard detected me. That slow reaction time certainly allowed for a flashy escape, but it showed one of the issues with the difficulty of the games in the series, specially during the Ezio trilogy. Not one guard needed to be killed, it was just, as the Sonic X opening theme would say, "GOTTA GO FAST"

Atmosphere:

The soundtrack that plays during this mission is absolutely phenomenal. Investigation proves to be a tense enough theme to keep you wary during the infiltration. If I'm right, the game sets the time of the day to sunset during the mission, which also works perfectly to build up tension. Unfortunately, the tension itself is damaged because of the weak AI, but the game sets the stage perfectly for a good infiltration mission.

Overall thoughts:

While the AI drags down the mission as it makes it rather simple to complete, the mission itself uses the setting pretty well and it makes for a nice infiltration and it gets the job done. The length is good enough: If you're playing this right after the previous mission, the fact it's brief actually comes as a nice breather (specially if the escape in the previous mission took you forever). Not a standout mission in the game, but certainly a good mission that makes getting the next objective in the storyline a lot more interesting than just "walk into the palace, get into a few fights if you want and talk to Suleiman" as was the case in Sequence 4. It's more about moving the plot to where you need to go next than anything, but it's certainly made into a fun and interesting mission.

8/10, I'd say. Not standout, but pretty fun nonetheless

Sigv4rd
08-27-2013, 01:54 AM
When will the next mission be up?

BATISTABUS
09-23-2013, 03:20 AM
Are you planning to do examples from each game like you have thus far? Infiltrations seem to be the trend currently... So does this mean we will have three "Bad" missions from each game?
Possibly, but this is definitely a possibility.

As for the next mission, don't expect it within the week or anything. Since the turnouts haven't really been that huge for these so far, I'll probably just hold off until I feel motivated enough (whenever that may be).

BATISTABUS
03-26-2014, 01:49 AM
With the announcement of Unity and the fact that the forums are livening up more, I'm going to get this going again. The next mission will be AC3's "Infiltrating Southgate"; the mission where Haytham and his crew dress up as redcoats. I'll type up the thread within the week hopefully.

shobhit7777777
03-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Excellent thread....IDK why I didn't see it before. Well done Batista and all participants. This thing should be stickied.

Also so glad to hear some people implement bombs and other items in their approaches

SixKeys
03-26-2014, 02:13 PM
With the announcement of Unity and the fact that the forums are livening up more, I'm going to get this going again. The next mission will be AC3's "Infiltrating Southgate"; the mission where Haytham and his crew dress up as redcoats. I'll type up the thread within the week hopefully.

Oh god. I got stuck in that stupid mission once because my crew glitched out and wouldn't kill anyone in the scripted scenes. I had no choice but to keep rolling along at a snail's pace and watch my companions do ****-all. So I finally arrived at the place we were supposed to ambush and got detected immediately while my a$$ was still sat on the cart, unable to move. I'll be opting out of this one.