PDA

View Full Version : Hood up/Hood down button?

TempestWinds
08-08-2013, 03:02 PM
I think it would be really cool if they implemented something like this, a key that simply allows you to raise and lower your characters hood at will. Any chance of this happening in future games Ubisoft? I just think it would add to the overall role playing experience. Thoughts anybody?

kingwasabi24
08-08-2013, 03:06 PM
lol the second you take your hood down the guards will spot you. Interesting tho

Assassin_M
08-08-2013, 03:09 PM
I`d love to have it..though it`s not as easy as everyone thinks it is. not as simple as " lets map a button to remove the hood anytime..yaaa" It can cause unnecessary problems

Heck there was no hood button in AC III and it still caused problems...

Shahkulu101
08-08-2013, 03:12 PM
I would love this option. I'm a bit of a cosmetic junkie regarding AC.

ArabianFrost
08-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Ubisoft has implemented a hood removal option that cannot be operated manually. It serves the devs' vision of what they see is apt in terms of immersion. Can't blame them.

Shahkulu101
08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Ubisoft has implemented a hood removal option that cannot be operated manually. It serves the devs' vision of what they see is apt in terms of immersion. Can't blame them.

But immersion is subjective. It should be up to the player what locations they feel having the hood up or down would add immersion in. I know it isn't a simple feature though.

ArabianFrost
08-08-2013, 03:33 PM
But immersion is subjective. It should be up to the player what locations they feel having the hood up or down would add immersion in. I know it isn't a simple feature though.

Why is that? When the hood is down, it doesn't seem like it really moves a lot, so the physics don't seem difficult. Care to explain?

Elebro2011
08-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Ashraf said that this option will be able only at specific locations.

Shahkulu101
08-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Why is that? When the hood is down, it doesn't seem like it really moves a lot, so the physics don't seem difficult. Care to explain?

Like M said it can cause problems if you tried to map a button to remove the hood.

ArabianFrost
08-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Like M said it can cause problems if you tried to map a button to remove the hood.

That's just it? Doesn't seem too troublesome for me. Thanks for explaining.

dxsxhxcx
08-08-2013, 03:39 PM
I`d love to have it..though it`s not as easy as everyone thinks it is. not as simple as " lets map a button to remove the hood anytime..yaaa" It can cause unnecessary problems

Heck there was no hood button in AC III and it still caused problems...

just add the option to remove the hood on the pause menu (or give us a skin without the hood), problem solved!

Assassin_M
08-08-2013, 03:39 PM
just add the option to remove the hood on the pause menu (or give us a skin without the hood), problem solved!
"Waaaaa we want animation to remove it...waaaaa" <----- people

Shahkulu101
08-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Just a suggestion, they could use R3 as the hood removal button. I don't think people would be too upset at the absence of the option to center the camera.

dxsxhxcx
08-08-2013, 03:45 PM

it would be better but I understand it could be a pain in the *** (for the console versions) and a waste of time to implement something like this without any gameplay purpose, as long as they don't hide the option to remove the hood in the depths of the pause menu (just let us go to the pause menu and press one button to remove it) I wouldn't mind the necessity to pause the game to choose this option, I know some people will complain about it, but IMO in this case, this is better than nothing..

ArabianFrost
08-08-2013, 03:45 PM

They have over a 1000 combat animations. Can't they have one more?

Assassin_M
08-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Like I said, it can cause problems...The hair is not rendered under the hood, to give it an animation they`d have to render the hair in real time..now it`s not a problem if it`s scripted once, twice or thrice, but it would be a problem when it`s at the player`s leisure..

dxsxhxcx
08-08-2013, 03:51 PM

the difference is that they don't need to assign 1000 buttons/sequences to trigger each animation

ArabianFrost
08-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Like I said, it can cause problems...The hair is not rendered under the hood, to give it an animation they`d have to render the hair in real time..now it`s not a problem if it`s scripted once, twice or thrice, but it would be a problem when it`s at the player`s leisure..

So this is just for promotional purposes?I think I can see some hair.

http://i.imgur.com/Dx1ckJZ.png

Azurefeatherfly
08-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Nobody wants the following to happen:

http://www.hamovhotov.com/fun/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/ps4-controller.jpg

Actually, we already heading in this direction.

Assassin_M
08-08-2013, 03:59 PM
So this is just for promotional purposes?I think I can see some hair.

http://i.imgur.com/Dx1ckJZ.png
I actually thought that there will be a button because of this. I saw it too, but then it was said that no there isn't a button, so from there I assumed there`ll be something different about the hood..I just don`t know what that is, because that hair under the hood seems quite useless without a button..

ArabianFrost
08-08-2013, 04:07 PM
I actually thought that there will be a button because of this. I saw it too, but then it was said that no there isn't a button, so from there I assumed there`ll be something different about the hood..I just don`t know what that is, because that hair under the hood seems quite useless without a button..

Maybe it's not because of technical reason? Sure the devs want to offer control for the player, but maybe they became a bit controlling when it comes to the hood?

I don't know, maybe animating hair under the hood and creating hair physics aren't the same.

pirate1802
08-08-2013, 04:09 PM
IMO, if you have to pause the game, then select an outfit, then wear to to get the hood up/down it takes away the awesome feeling. So for me, either have it mapped to a button for quick up/down, or dont have it at all.

Assassin_M
08-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Maybe it's not because of technical reason? Sure the devs want to offer control for the player, but maybe they became a bit controlling when it comes to the hood?

I don't know, maybe animating hair under the hood and creating hair physics aren't the same.
Well Animation IS Physics..

You`re talking about rendering and animating..I don`t think edward`s hair will be animated considering it`s a pony tail AND the ponytail itself would be clipping through the back of the hood, so they have to render ANOTHER hair look to fit under the hood...

too sketchy

ArabianFrost
08-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Well Animation IS Physics..

You`re talking about rendering and animating..I don`t think edward`s hair will be animated considering it`s a pony tail AND the ponytail itself would be clipping through the back of the hood, so they have to render ANOTHER hair look to fit under the hood...

too sketchy

Hair that magically ties itself into a ponytail?

Sketchy indeed.

Sushiglutton
08-08-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm all for a hood-button. I think it would add a lot to the immersion and cool-factor of the game. It's the pointless feature I want more than any other.

IMO, if you have to pause the game, then select an outfit, then wear to to get the hood up/down it takes away the awesome feeling. So for me, either have it mapped to a button for quick up/down, or dont have it at all.

A billion times this. And it goes for most things in gaming. If you have to pause, open a weapon wheel yada yada the moment is gone. Ofc if you do like TLOU (I will praise this game in every post from now on :) ) and let the crafting of gear be a gameplay mechanic, then it becomes part of the immersion instead of a problem.

But in most cases games should be silky smooth with everything just a tap away, so it feels like in real life. The moment you think "ropedart" it should be there in your hand.

dxsxhxcx
08-08-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm all for a hood-button. I think it would add a lot to the immersion and cool-factor of the game. It's the pointless feature I want more than any other.

A billion times this. And it goes for most things in gaming. If you have to pause, open a weapon wheel yada yada the moment is gone. Ofc if you do like TLOU (I will praise this game in every post from now on http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/smilies/smile.png ) and let the crafting of gear be a gameplay mechanic, then it becomes part of the immersion instead of a problem.

But in most cases games should be silky smooth with everything just a tap away, so it feels like in real life. The moment you think "ropedart" it should be there in your hand.

anything that could help with immersion IMO isn't that pointless, I would like to have this option to blend with the crowd during the day/night when I ain't doing anything suspicious (walking around on the streets for example), IMO play without the hood in some of these ocasions would certainly help with the idea that we are blending with the crowd, even if your face might become harder to identify while wearing the hood, depending of the place you are be the only guy with a hood in the streets IMO makes it look like you're screaming for attention, and IMO different from boring features like den defense or the crafting system (that I fail to see what's the fun in it in a game like AC), have the option to remove the hood from the pause menu seems like nothing in terms of use of resources/development time, so why not add it if it won't do any harm...

adventurewomen
08-08-2013, 04:59 PM
No thanks, and the hood is meant to disguise you in front of the guards. :)

Jexx21
08-08-2013, 05:02 PM
the hood is just an aesthetic. it doesn't really help you hide from the guards that much in real life.

i don't care about a button

adventurewomen
08-08-2013, 05:06 PM
I meant, the hooded assassin robes are iconic to the series, the hood is down in safe areas like Acre, Monteriggioni, Davenport etc..

poptartz20
08-08-2013, 06:55 PM
This is a forever going debate... just like more connor threads.

haha. and the battle continues.

Billiam301
08-08-2013, 08:19 PM
if you can toggle the hood in some location, why not all locations? the fact that you even have he hood down in some locations suggests that the hair rendering isn't actually a problem

Hofner Chris
08-08-2013, 08:21 PM
I would love this feature. Hope to see this included someday.

Assassin_M
08-08-2013, 08:24 PM
if you can toggle the hood in some location, why not all locations? the fact that you even have he hood down in some locations suggests that the hair rendering isn't actually a problem
rendering it ONCE TWICE OR EVEN THRICE at the game`s leisure is not a problem. (It still caused glitches in AC III)

Doing it at the player`s leisure WILL cause problems...they obviously limit it to specific times for a reason.

poptartz20
08-08-2013, 09:36 PM
rendering it ONCE TWICE OR EVEN THRICE at the game`s leisure is not a problem. (It still caused glitches in AC III)

Doing it at the player`s leisure WILL cause problems...they obviously limit it to specific times for a reason.

Not to be rude to anybody.. but I don't think some people fully understand what rendering might be M. You might want to give a simple explanation!

people I think sometimes don't really understand or appreciate the work behind alot of the things the Devs might have to go through to construct something "simple" like hood on/off.

As a Graphic Designer there are tons of people that don't get what I do. and the time that goes into it until i simply break it down to EVERYTHING I have to do especially if it includes writing copy. :|

Assassin_M
08-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Not to be rude to anybody.. but I don't think some people fully understand what rendering might be M. You might want to give a simple explanation!

people I think sometimes don't really understand or appreciate the work behind alot of the things the Devs might have to go through to construct something "simple" like hood on/off.

As a Graphic Designer there are tons of people that don't get what I do. and the time that goes into it until i simply break it down to EVERYTHING I have to do especially if it includes writing copy. :|
I see your point..even though i`m pretty bad at explaining, I usually complicate things further :|

Well, rendering is the generating an Image or part of an image on a plane. like an artist drawing or rendering scenes on a blank piece of paper. look at the size of the piece of paper in drawing as the GPU in computer graphics. As in how much you can render at a time;however, the speed of rendering is also handled by the GPU, so that`s the only difference..

Drawing:

Speed: Artist
Size and content: piece of paper

CG:

Both GPU.

Now usually, the hair is not rendered under the hood, some may have noticed that whenever Ezio took off his hood in Cutscenes, the view usually shifts somewhere else, because it took time for the hair to render properly after removing the hood.

in AC III, the hair most likely wasn't under the hood either, but it was different in that they had low res models for gameplay. that included less res hair, meaning it`s rendered faster, so it made things A BIT easier by showing the hood getting removed by Connor in real time, but it still had glitches in some areas, like the lad appearing hood down and bald in some cutscenes (as a result of the more elastic hood mechanic)

seeing as they`re creating this massive world on old hardware like the current gen consoles, and seeing as the differences between next gen and current wont be THAT big, rendering the hair under the hood seems pretty pointless, so I think the hood will be more elastic, BUT will still be limited to the game`s leisure and not the player`s....less problems...

OSantaClownO
08-09-2013, 02:33 AM

Exactly.
Tho they could render a low-res hair quickly, and meanwhile get the high-res one.