PDA

View Full Version : Oleg - A request regarding engine sound

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2003, 07:36 PM
When the engine is shut down in flight in Forgotten Battles, there is still a sound as if the engine is sputtering or still running.

The only audible sound a pilot will hear in flight after the engine is shut down will be the wind screaming around the cockpit and through any non-air tight areas because the engine's ignition will not be operable. No ignition spark will be passed to the cylinder heads.

When the engine is shut down, and the aircraft scrapes the propellor along the ground, the engine still makes a sputtering noise just like when it is killed due to AA or enemy aircraft fire. There shouldn't be any sound coming from the engine either.

It would be great if you could implement this for the final patch.

Thank you.

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2003, 07:36 PM
When the engine is shut down in flight in Forgotten Battles, there is still a sound as if the engine is sputtering or still running.

The only audible sound a pilot will hear in flight after the engine is shut down will be the wind screaming around the cockpit and through any non-air tight areas because the engine's ignition will not be operable. No ignition spark will be passed to the cylinder heads.

When the engine is shut down, and the aircraft scrapes the propellor along the ground, the engine still makes a sputtering noise just like when it is killed due to AA or enemy aircraft fire. There shouldn't be any sound coming from the engine either.

It would be great if you could implement this for the final patch.

Thank you.

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2003, 08:03 PM
I agree. There are more and more people realizing that the way sound is modelled in FB rather copies the popular beliefs of "how it is in movies", but thing are quite different in reality, rather prosaic and less "hollywood-like", simply less amusing...

I vote for two optional sound modes in FB or any other sim, that would be forced by host same as any other difficulty settings. (Ext. views etc.)

1 - Arcade sound - sound modelled for "ear-candy" to give people the experience they have when watching a movie. Planes buzzing by them when on wing, engines spluttering when stopped etc.

2 - Realistic sound - sound modelled in such a way, that realtime pilots would not have to shake their heads in disbelief. No sonar, no AAA sound when the AAA fires 3km away...etc.

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2003, 08:04 PM
if its going fast enuff, the engine will turn over, hence some noise i guess

whineingu /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2003, 09:08 PM
- if its going fast enuff, the engine will turn over,
- hence some noise i guess

No, it will not turn over.

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2003, 09:42 PM
I AGREE! And perhaps a NON windmilling prop! when shot-up.

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2003, 09:55 PM
Correct me if i am wrong, but the propellor will turn(windmill) unless the prop has been feathered(doesn`t seem to be an option in a fighter)or the engine has seized.

In an undamaged engine the prop can turn in the slipstream fast enough to restart so if your ignition is still on it may still try to start on the undamaged cyclinders, but if its dead its dead and no sound should issue forth.

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/291003-01anoseart_us_08.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-14-2003, 03:59 AM
The act of turning off the engine turns off the ignition so no spark will pass.

Therefore, when the engine is shut down in flight - it will simply windmill and not catch.