PDA

View Full Version : Another Family Saga?

Sigv4rd
08-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Currently we have the "Kenway Family Saga" Featuring: Assassin's Creed III, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (and maybe AC5). And we have had 3 main protagonists Ratonhnhaké:ton, Haytham Kenway, and Edward Kenway.

Should we have another Family Saga?

Assassin_M
08-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Perhaps a setting saga...for example, 3 games, same setting, different time periods...a setting with time periods distinct enough from each other to warrant 3 very different games??

ArabianFrost
08-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Perhaps a setting saga...for example, 3 games, same setting, different time periods...a setting with time periods distinct enough from each other to warrant 3 very different games??

Which is pretty much only works for Egypt (pharaonic era, Roman invasion era and most importantly the Ottoman/Mamalek era), England (Roman conquest era and Victorian era) or Spain (Any spanish era and the Islamic conquest era).

I like the idea, but for full 3 iterations? Sure technology can advance and what not, but this will greatly hinder the development of new game mechanics. However, it ensures the devs stop focusing on the mechanics that don't matter and think about the ones that do, the cores.

I don't know. We had a similar concept with the Ezio saga, but I just don't really see the same location really being accepted by people multiple times. Sure it can be different, but it still in mind is the same. Many can't psychologically accept that.

Egypt needs to be made into a game though. We're the product of like a 100p cultures brought together. We'd make for some of the most diverse architecture from city to city. Pharaonic in Giza, Roman in Alexandria and Arabic in Cairo. C'mon, whk wouldn't want that?

ArabianFrost
08-06-2013, 12:39 AM
I'd say a friends saga or an enemy saga. Different perspectives. Different motives for each character. Same end ambition. Different outcomes for each.

RinoTheBouncer
08-06-2013, 12:40 AM
I guess they shouldn't stick to one formula. Altair had only one game, AC1 and some flashbacks in AC:R while Ezio had 3 full games and a short animated film, AC:Embers and a short backstory film. ACIII featured Connor and his father, Haytham (who may or may not return in another game) with 3 DLC episodes and now ACIV is featuring another family member of Connor, Edward Kenway. I guess we have different formulas. Now a numbered entry ACIV featuring the same family but a whole new character and a close-enough time period.

I guess if they give each game a formula of it's own would be much better than having to stick with a certain pattern.

Assassin_M
08-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Which is pretty much only works for Egypt (pharaonic era, Roman invasion era and most importantly the Ottoman/Mamalek era), England (Roman conquest era and Victorian era) or Spain (Any spanish era and the Islamic conquest era).

I like the idea, but for full 3 iterations? Sure technology can advance and what not, but this will greatly hinder the development of new game mechanics. However, it ensures the devs stop focusing on the mechanics that matter, the cores.

I don't know. We had a similar concept with the Ezio saga, but I just don't really see the same location really being accepted by people multiple times. Sure it can be different, but it still in mind is the same. Many can't psychologically accept that.

Egypt needs to be made into a game though. We're the product of like a 100p cultures brought together. We'd make for some of the most diverse architecture from city to city. Pharaonic in Giza, Roman in Alexandria and Arabic in Cairo. C'mon, whk wouldn't want that?
How about just 2 games then??

Sigv4rd
08-06-2013, 12:47 AM

I like this idea.

What country would you pick?

Assassin_M
08-06-2013, 12:52 AM
I like this idea.

Egypt or Spain (would`v said Constantinople too, but we had Rev)

Egypt`s entire culture and identity basically had a face-life after the Arab conquest. I`d say the difference between Ottoman Egypt and Mamluk Egypt warrants 2 separate games.

Ancient Egypt one game (Centered around the north coast and Alexandria) Mamluk Egypt second game (centered around Cairo) Ottoman Egypt third game (centered around a larger cairo)

Spider_Sith9
08-06-2013, 12:53 AM
I like this idea.

Modern Day :)

London

ArabianFrost
08-06-2013, 12:54 AM
I just want to correct a horrible ignorance on my behalf. Egypt went through a GREEK overhaul not a Roman one in Alexandria.

I also corrected the part were it said the same location would hinder focus on the cores. On the contrary, the same locations would ensure the devs stop coming up with new mechanics like Naval and ensure we get them to fully focus on stealth, navigation and combat.

Sigv4rd
08-06-2013, 12:54 AM
I'd say a friends saga or an enemy saga. Different perspectives. Different motives for each character. Same end ambition. Different outcomes for each.

Perhaps a regional saga?
China, Japan, Korea
Spain, England, France

Or maybe an imperial saga
Roman Empire
Persian Empire

ArabianFrost
08-06-2013, 12:57 AM
Egypt or Spain (would`v said Constantinople too, but we had Rev)

Egypt`s entire culture and identity basically had a face-life after the Arab conquest. I`d say the difference between Ottoman Egypt and Mamluk Egypt warrants 2 separate games.

Ancient Egypt one game (Centered around the north coast and Alexandria) Mamluk Egypt second game (centered around Cairo) Ottoman Egypt third game (centered around a larger cairo)

Ottoman architecture seemed nothing but a mere added colour scheme to the already grounded Arabic one. I don't seem to understand your point about how are both different architecturally.

Assassin_M
08-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Ottoman architecture seemed nothing but a mere added colour scheme to the already grounded Arabic one. I don't seem to understand your point about how are both different architecturally.
That`s just how I see it. I`m an architecture maniac :|

ArabianFrost
08-06-2013, 01:05 AM
That`s just how I see it. I`m an architecture maniac :|

But it's just an orange/beige colour make over. You seem to be a painting maniac more so than an architectural one :-/

Sigv4rd
08-06-2013, 01:12 AM
That`s just how I see it. I`m a Connor maniac :|

:P

Rugterwyper32
08-06-2013, 01:15 AM
A few games based on Spain as it changed around during the eras would be great, IMO. Go from Spain during the end of Roman times/beginning of Visgothic times, then move on to 500 years later to year 1000 to see it during the times of Almanzor, and finally to the Spanish golden age in the 17th century. Goodness would that be amazing. And to drive to point home, have Cadiz as a city in all 3 games, as it's the oldest city in Spain and one of the oldest in western Europe. It would be absolutely fantastic seeing it transform throughout a few games.

If there was another family saga or something similar, I'd love one covering the early Dutch Revolt, move towards the long war further east and then deal with the Thirty Years War. Goodness that'd be amazing.

Sigv4rd
08-06-2013, 01:25 AM
A few games based on Spain as it changed around during the eras would be great, IMO. Go from Spain during the end of Roman times/beginning of Visgothic times, then move on to 500 years later to year 1000 to see it during the times of Almanzor, and finally to the Spanish golden age in the 17th century. Goodness would that be amazing. And to drive to point home, have Cadiz as a city in all 3 games, as it's the oldest city in Spain and one of the oldest in western Europe. It would be absolutely fantastic seeing it transform throughout a few games.

If there was another family saga or something similar, I'd love one covering the early Dutch Revolt, move towards the long war further east and then deal with the Thirty Years War. Goodness that'd be amazing.

A family Saga could work well in the 100 years war...

Assassin_M
08-06-2013, 01:30 AM
But it's just an orange/beige colour make over. You seem to be a painting maniac more so than an architectural one :-/
There are certain architectural details that are different, not just the colors. play AC I then ACR...compare the mosques for example

LoyalACFan
08-06-2013, 01:30 AM
I don't think so. After AC4, I think I'll be quite done with the Kenways (Connor sequel notwithstanding) and I wouldn't want to start into another family "saga" right off the bat. Let's go back to relatively standalone Assassin stories.

Spider_Sith9
08-06-2013, 01:31 AM
I don't think so. After AC4, I think I'll be quite done with the Kenways (Connor sequel notwithstanding) and I wouldn't want to start into another family "saga" right off the bat. Let's go back to relatively standalone Assassin stories.

After what they did with Ezio and stretching him out so long giving him the big backstory making him even more interesting along with his personality, they better make a ******* long game from then on.

LoyalACFan
08-06-2013, 01:34 AM
After what they did with Ezio and stretching him out so long giving him the big backstory making him even more interesting along with his personality, they better make a ******* long game from then on.

Yeah, that's what I mean. There's no reason an AC game couldn't span an Assassin's whole lifetime, and complete their story within one title. No more spinoffs/novels/tie-in products, that pisses me off to no end. Just tell the story that needs to be told in a single piece of art, and move on.

Spider_Sith9
08-06-2013, 01:41 AM
Yeah, that's what I mean. There's no reason an AC game couldn't span an Assassin's whole lifetime, and complete their story within one title. No more spinoffs/novels/tie-in products, that pisses me off to no end. Just tell the story that needs to be told in a single piece of art, and move on.

Which also pisses me off to no end in a way. You make modern day a main plot point yet only cover it in media that only hardcore fans watch! I shouldn't have to know Desmond's story from a site that is restricted.

"My name is Desmond Miles. And this is my story." WHAT STORY?!?!?! I read the entire and looked at the whole Desmond Files and loved it MUCH MORE than the main Desmond story!