PDA

View Full Version : Ash wants our opinion on resettable forts!

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 03:26 AM
In the newly posted naval fort gameplay, ash said in an interview that as of right now "resettable forts are not the objective" due to how there are side missions linked to each fort. However, he said that due to the favorable response to far cry 3 resettable forts, and because he loves his fans, he will listen for the fan reaction and see how much we want this feature.

He said "if the fans really REALLY want it, them we will se about finding a way to put it in".

Well? This is our chance! There is no place better for ash to get his response than from the official ubisoft AC forum!! (Mods, would be great if you let the dev or Ash know about the results of this thread).

What do you guys think?

Just I'm case some people are confused... I will explain what I am talking about.

In far cry 3, after taking all the outposts, you could then go to the menu and press a button to have all the forts reset back to enemy control.

It would be the same in AC4. Enemies would not be able to take them back without your consent. It would be allllllll your choice!

AC2_alex
08-05-2013, 03:30 AM
This isn't really a feature I'm just dying to have.

straty88
08-05-2013, 03:30 AM
It was one of the reasons I replay FC3 from time to time. Plus I've been following a user on here who is doing a stealth walkthrough of each of the forts for AC3. So being able to actually complete the run and come back to try it again at a later date would be nice. So long story short. Yes please!

Edit: A patch to add this in after release is fine imo. Other things should take priority first!

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 03:32 AM
This isn't really a feature I'm just dying to have.

I respect your opinion my good sir! *holds quivering butcher knife nervously behind back*

Megas_Doux
08-05-2013, 03:37 AM
The forts having replay option would be THE BEST IDEA EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

captin_qwark7
08-05-2013, 03:38 AM
Wouldn't you rather they work on way cooler features than resetting forts?!!!

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 03:41 AM
Wouldn't you rather they work on way cooler features than resetting forts?!!!

Like what? What else could they add this late in the dev time that is easy enough to add like resettable forts? It is far too late to add new gameplay features. And it seems that everything else is working fine

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 03:44 AM
I think he meant after the 'fans' try it out...then it could be patched in if the fans asked....same as Far Cry games....I don't think we've ever had a feature 'patched in' as of yet, have we?

Oleg l Kirrlov
08-05-2013, 03:45 AM
It would be an annoying feature at times, like say you took over a fort and want to ambush a spanish armada following you, well now you gotta go balls out and fight without the extra tactical advantage.
But if it is added it wouldnt be a game breaker, but it should NOT be a priority.

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 03:48 AM
It would be an annoying feature at times, like say you took over a fort and want to ambush a spanish armada following you, well now you gotta go balls out and fight without the extra tactical advantage.
But if it is added it wouldnt be a game breaker, but it should NOT be a priority.
You're getting it wrong, the feature being talked about is having an option in the menu to reset all forts, so that we can do them again...not random attacks.

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 03:48 AM

Well it would be a decision you make. They would not reset automatically

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 03:50 AM
I think he meant after the 'fans' try it out...then it could be patched in if the fans asked....same as Far Cry games....I don't think we've ever had a feature 'patched in' as of yet, have we?

Well we haven't had a game director like Ash ever either have we?

RinoTheBouncer
08-05-2013, 03:54 AM
If it's up to me, I'd cancel forts, Templar dens, whatever... they were the lamest in ACIII.

Spider_Sith9
08-05-2013, 03:55 AM
If it's up to me, I'd cancel forts, Templar dens, whatever... they were the lamest in ACIII.

But you liked them in ACB/ACR ;)

Oleg l Kirrlov
08-05-2013, 03:56 AM
You're getting it wrong, the feature being talked about is having an option in the menu to reset all forts, so that we can do them again...not random attacks.

Well Ive never played far cry 3, but now I think that should be added.
*Goes and sits in corner with dunce hat*

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 03:57 AM
Well we haven't had a game director like Ash ever either have we?
Yeah but as far as I know it's not upto him what gets patched.

Eitherway, like he said...the objective is to take over forts because they have sidemissions. So if I reset the forts suddenly, then my missions disappear. Then they'll have to implement a checking system if somebody by mistake or to try and break the game uses the option in between a fort mission. I'm unsure if they can 'implement' features now since it's basically time to polish the game in this month. The whole of the last month before release is used to create copies. I can only see it getting patched in later. But will vote anyway...

EDIT: Wolfie, I think you should include a description of what is meant by resetting in the OP, since not everyone has played FC3 and will likely get confused.

pirate1802
08-05-2013, 03:57 AM
Maybe as a cheat code after you finish the game? Reset the forts and have a go at them again.

pirate1802
08-05-2013, 03:59 AM

I loved then in AC III.. One of the very few missions that allowed you the freedom of how to tackle the situation. Also loved those "captain kills" in ACR. Not so much in ACB..

RinoTheBouncer
08-05-2013, 03:59 AM
But you liked them in ACB/ACR ;)

AC:R had them good and AC:B was ok, yeah. I don't really mind them since they're opinion but I guess it's kinda lame to just enter, kill everyone, bye bye or add a "burn the tower" option or chase the p*ssy Templar captain before he hides, LOL.

Maybe if they add new means of taking control, new methods of conquering Templars and getting them to move away.. that would be more entertaining to do.

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 04:00 AM

Eitherway, like he said...the objective is to take over forts because they have sidemissions. So if I reset the forts suddenly, then my missions disappear. Then they'll have to implement a checking system if somebody by mistake or to try and break the game uses the option in between a fort mission. I'm unsure if they can 'implement' features now since it's basically time to polish the game in this month. The whole of the last month before release is used to create copies. I can only see it getting patched in later. But will vote anyway...

EDIT: Wolfie, I think you should include a description of what is meant by resetting in the OP, since not everyone has played FC3 and will likely get confused.
K done

straty88
08-05-2013, 04:02 AM

In FC3 you could only reset them after you've taken all of them over & finished (I think, not 100% on that) the game. Also the forts in FC3 had side-missions attached to them as well but they didn't reset.

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 04:04 AM
In FC3 you could only reset them after you've taken all of them over & finished (I think, not 100% on that) the game. Also the forts in FC3 had side-missions attached to them as well but they didn't reset.

The "side missions" in those forts were basically challenges. I expect that the ones in Ac4 will actually be story oriented, with cutscenes, and characters

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 04:06 AM
Don't remember if that was the case but the 'side missions' they had were pretty basic. I'm not saying it's impossible to add what I'm saying is I'm unsure they have the time to do that. They have ~1 month to polish up the game.....the time when things are cut, refined, etc... adding a new feature would need development time+they will have to polish it and iron out the bugs.

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 04:06 AM
Don't remember if that was the case but the 'side missions' they had were pretty basic. I'm not saying it's impossible to add what I'm saying is I'm unsure they have the time to do that. They have ~1 month to polish up the game.....the time when things are cut, refined, etc... adding a new feature would need development time+they will have to polish it and iron out the bugs.

Agree. See my last post

straty88
08-05-2013, 04:07 AM
The "side missions" in those forts were basically challenges. I expect that the ones in Ac4 will actually be story oriented, with cutscenes, and characters

True but they were still missions, whenever you reset the forts it didn't reset the missions which was my point. :P

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 04:08 AM
True but they were still missions, whenever you reset the forts it didn't reset the missions which was my point. :P

And your point is valid. But FOOLISH

straty88
08-05-2013, 04:09 AM
They have ~1 month to polish up the game.....the time when things are cut, refined, etc... adding a new feature would need development time+they will have to polish it and iron out the bugs.

Agreed, I'd be happy with them adding it in after release through a patch or something.

straty88
08-05-2013, 04:11 AM
And your point is valid. But FOOLISHhttp://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-42-15321713.jpg?size=67&uid=72fbdce3-0213-4b56-8fa9-a1d181c51d47

Megas_Doux
08-05-2013, 04:14 AM
Being able to replay the forts is a GREAT idea!!!!! Dont know why anyone could be against it....

LoyalACFan
08-05-2013, 04:14 AM
He said the forts are tied in with side mission strands, which we know nothing about. Who's to say that resetting forts wouldn't clash with these? Or maybe the forts turn out to be a drag? I don't see why they would, but since he was talking about a potential post-launch patch anyway, I'll reserve my judgment until after I've played.

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 04:17 AM
http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-42-15321713.jpg?size=67&uid=72fbdce3-0213-4b56-8fa9-a1d181c51d47

You know that there are like NO redheads in Russia?

straty88
08-05-2013, 04:20 AM
You know that there are like NO redheads in Russia?

WHAT!? Ho....what!? I feel sorry for you!

Jexx21
08-05-2013, 04:27 AM

They were the best in AC3...

WTF you smokin.

Jexx21
08-05-2013, 04:27 AM

The FC3 outposts had missions connected to them as well.

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 04:30 AM
The FC3 outposts had missions connected to them as well.
Very basic ones. We don't know what kind of missions the forts have. That and I've mentioned the time thing being the issue and not the implementation itself.

Jexx21
08-05-2013, 04:32 AM
Well, even if they're story oriented, unless they directly affect the fort itself, I doubt it matters much.

ProletariatPleb
08-05-2013, 04:35 AM
Well, even if they're story oriented, unless they directly affect the fort itself, I doubt it matters much.
There is also the case of how it's implemented...

Reset forts anytime
Reset forts after capturing all
Reset forts after capturing all and finishing missions.

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 05:14 AM
There is also the case of how it's implemented...

Reset forts anytime
Reset forts after capturing all
Reset forts after capturing all and finishing missions.

I. Sure that if ash decides to implement it, he would find a way to make it work

Jexx21
08-05-2013, 05:17 AM
Ubisoft*

Ash probably doesn't implement it personally, lol.

Rugterwyper32
08-05-2013, 05:28 AM
One way he could make it work, too, is making the taking the fort a mission by itself that doesn't affect your progress so you can replay it from the DNA menu whenever you want. Maybe that'd be an option?

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 05:43 AM
Ubisoft*

Ash probably doesn't implement it personally, lol.

GAHHH whatEVERRR

Jexx21
08-05-2013, 05:45 AM
you sound like a spoiled teenager :P

poptartz20
08-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Umm... it would be nice for the simple fact that it could mean "extra" gameplay but the only way I see it really working is if you beat all the side missions first and get all of your upgrades and goodies from the side missions first. Then the option becomes available for you to reset the forts under enemy control. therefore it doesn't mess with the storyline elements or take away from your ship enhancements.

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 05:04 PM
you sound like a spoiled teenager :P

You just don't underSTAND me!

luckyto
08-05-2013, 05:19 PM
YES!!!

Ever since Brottherhood, I have stopped capturing forts/towers/dens. In AC3, I don't raise the flag. In Revelations, I just worked to have the Dens lost. And in Brotherhood, I don't set fire to the tower. They are open-ended missions that I can try over and over and over again. Maybe there is another way to assassinate the captain? Maybe do it with stealth? Maybe go Rambo? Approached from the east before, try sneaking in from the west over the wall. It's awesome.

I have long argued for forts/towers/etc to be lost over time. After a long period of time, forts and towers would be lost to the Templars, and the Assassin would need to retake them. This makes the map an ever-changing landscape, with value long after the story is complete. I was so pleased to hear that ACIV had implemented such a system for plantations. Adding it to forts would be incredible.

note of warning: Please be generous with the time cycle. If they are lost too quickly, it will become annoying. MANY gamers will get frustrated by it. At minimum, it should be 7 day/night cycles.

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2013, 05:28 PM
YES!!!

Ever since Brottherhood, I have stopped capturing forts/towers/dens. In AC3, I don't raise the flag. In Revelations, I just worked to have the Dens lost. And in Brotherhood, I don't set fire to the tower. They are open-ended missions that I can try over and over and over again. Maybe there is another way to assassinate the captain? Maybe do it with stealth? Maybe go Rambo? Approached from the east before, try sneaking in from the west over the wall. It's awesome.

I have long argued for forts/towers/etc to be lost over time. After a long period of time, forts and towers would be lost to the Templars, and the Assassin would need to retake them. This makes the map an ever-changing landscape, with value long after the story is complete. I was so pleased to hear that ACIV had implemented such a system for plantations. Adding it to forts would be incredible.

note of warning: Please be generous with the time cycle. If they are lost too quickly, it will become annoying. MANY gamers will get frustrated by it. At minimum, it should be 7 day/night cycles.

You misunderstand. Forts would not regenerate unless YOU SPECIFICALLY USE THE OPTION TO REST THEM. They would not be lost gradually over time

Sushiglutton
08-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Yes this is a feature I would appreciate a lot. In AC3 I wanted to replay the forts but for a long time I couldn't push myself into gonig through that tedious beginning again. AC4 sounds like it will start faster. There will also be regenerating plantations as well as ship to ship battles. So I don't think resetting forts as important. But it's still something I would like to be able to do to test different strategies and practuce to perfection.

luckyto
08-05-2013, 06:12 PM
You misunderstand. Forts would not regenerate unless YOU SPECIFICALLY USE THE OPTION TO REST THEM. They would not be lost gradually over time

I'll take what I can get. :)

OSantaClownO
08-05-2013, 09:15 PM

It happend in Far Cry 3 (By unlocking "forts" you would get side-missions):

What happend is that if you done a mission - it's finished.
If you haven't started a mission then you would need to recapture the fort in order to have it.

The more troubling issue is that forts unlock locations in a way, so that might be a issue.

I support this feature, tho I could think of better features to add in that time.

David2010549
08-06-2013, 12:31 AM
I don't think we have enough information to answer this question definitively. For this option to be worthwhile, the forts would have to be designed in an open fashion that encourages multiple playstyles. We've heard of being able to take them in ways other than the all out two stage attack from sea to land, but we haven't seen those yet, and there are no guarantees that the forts will really be flexible enough. I'm very hopeful they will be in the end, but without seeing anything I can't make any judgements.