PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer or Single Player

RinoTheBouncer
08-05-2013, 02:58 AM
If we you were given the chance to cancel multiplayer completely in AC games in favor of making better AC games, with much deeper story, gameplay, variable activities and missions. You can say that the game will be much better than it is now. Will you accept that?

I personally would welcome it very much. I'm not against multiplayer but I'm against multiplayer in games where it just doesn't fit or it ends up being the whole focus of the game or takes so much effort that the game itself relies on multiplayer to gain sales and replay value.

Discuss...

Spider_Sith9
08-05-2013, 02:59 AM
I would like a more Co-op oriented story mode that is seperate or links into the main modern day. However most of it is Hub based like Deus Ex or Mass Effect. Then the Main Missions is linear with many routes to achieve your goal.

LoyalACFan
08-05-2013, 03:05 AM
Hell yes. When MP was announced for Brotherhood, I literally facepalmed. While it did turn out to be a decent online experience, I think the general consensus of the fans is that the single-player quality has taken a noticeable dive since then. If it meant we could return to AC1/AC2 levels for SP quality, I'd sacrifice MP in a heartbeat.

I could go into my rant about MP being a primary factor in holding video games back as an art form, but I'll save it for later.

AC2_alex
08-05-2013, 03:07 AM
I welcome the multiplayer. A separate studio works on the mp anyway, right?

straty88
08-05-2013, 03:11 AM

Yup. Ubisoft Annecy.

RinoTheBouncer
08-05-2013, 03:19 AM
I would like a more Co-op oriented story mode that is seperate or links into the main modern day. However most of it is Hub based like Deus Ex or Mass Effect. Then the Main Missions is linear with many routes to achieve your goal.

I would like something like that as a separate mode maybe but the idea of turning a game that was made to be highly story-driven into a multiplayer/online multiplayer/co-up is exactly like that of turning Resident Evil from survival horror to an action/shoot-em-up game.

Hell yes. When MP was announced for Brotherhood, I literally facepalmed. While it did turn out to be a decent online experience, I think the general consensus of the fans is that the single-player quality has taken a noticeable dive since then. If it meant we could return to AC1/AC2 levels for SP quality, I'd sacrifice MP in a heartbeat.

I could go into my rant about MP being a primary factor in holding video games back as an art form, but I'll save it for later.

Dude, I AGREE with you 100%!

ACII was very long, even when I replayed it for like the 5th time, it was pretty long and there was just so much to be done. I just played from one "!" mark to another (including sequence 12 and 13) and it took forever to finish. AC1 was a bit too repetitive yet you can clearly notice how much effort is put on it. I'm not saying that AC:B and the rest aren't good, in fact, my most favorite AC is AC:R but I'm just saying that, like you, I facepalmed when they added the MP segment to AC:B. The game was very good and the modern day segment was amazing yet it felt a bit short compared to ACII. AC:R was top quality but it was a bit short and ACIII was great except for the ending which, I dunno, felt like a beginner directed it. Not saying this because of Desmond's fate but it didn't feel special in any way. The only memorable thing about it was the disappointment.

I only welcome it when it doesn't reduce the value of the single player nor consumes the financial resources set for the single play. Maybe a separate studio works on MP but the same producer is paying both so I guess they will eventually end up dividing the funds on both or at least rely on MP for replay value rather than a real value to the game itself.

AC2_alex
08-05-2013, 03:20 AM
Yup. Ubisoft Annecy.

Yeah, so what's the problem? Having MP doesn't cut into the single player at all.

Spider_Sith9
08-05-2013, 03:26 AM
I would like something like that as a separate mode maybe but the idea of turning a game that was made to be highly story-driven into a multiplayer/online multiplayer/co-up is exactly like that of turning Resident Evil from survival horror to an action/shoot-em-up game.

What I mean is keep the other modes and make the MP more of a "Heroes of Another Story" type of thing.

RinoTheBouncer
08-05-2013, 03:57 AM
Yeah, so what's the problem? Having MP doesn't cut into the single player at all.

When Ubisoft funds those two studios, so much money can be spent on Multiplayer while it can be given to the Single Player studio to improve it's graphics, story, gameplay..etc.

What I mean is keep the other modes and make the MP more of a "Heroes of Another Story" type of thing.

Yeah, maybe. I think it's already non canon to the story, to begin with. Like, just another Templar/Assassin hunt.

Megas_Doux
08-05-2013, 04:05 AM
I could not care less about MP, to be honest....

LoyalACFan
08-05-2013, 04:10 AM
When Ubisoft funds those two studios, so much money can be spent on Multiplayer while it can be given to the Single Player studio to improve it's graphics, story, gameplay..etc.

This so much. People act like the separate studios are completely independent entities... well, they've all got to be funded from the same place, no?

pirate1802
08-05-2013, 04:11 AM
It is not a foregone conclusion that the money saved from MP stuff would go to SP. Its likely Ubi will divert that money to different franchises. But ontopic, I prefer Co-op to MP any day. But still, I enjoy AC4 MP and without any concrete proof that axing it would definitely improve SP quality I'd want it to continue.

Megas_Doux
08-05-2013, 04:15 AM
This so much. People act like the separate studios are completely independent entities... well, they've all got to be funded from the same place, no?

This!!!!

After all, is money they could invest in something else, like holsters or background music :P

LoyalACFan
08-05-2013, 04:16 AM
It is not a foregone conclusion that the money saved from MP stuff would go to SP. Its likely Ubi will divert that money to different franchises. But ontopic, I prefer Co-op to MP any day. But still, I enjoy AC4 MP and without any concrete proof that axing it would definitely improve SP quality I'd want it to continue.

Doubtful... I would imagine that their budget is divided into specific amounts for each franchise. They wouldn't just ax a bunch of AC funding and reallocate it to, say, Watch Dogs.

pirate1802
08-05-2013, 04:37 AM
Doubtful... I would imagine that their budget is divided into specific amounts for each franchise. They wouldn't just ax a bunch of AC funding and reallocate it to, say, Watch Dogs.

What I'm saying is; having no MP doesn't automatically mean those resources are used for SP. It may be, it may not be. Most likely scenario is, if Mp is axed Ubisoft, being the businessmen they are would rather divert the resources to a different direction than improve the SP.

Jexx21
08-05-2013, 04:44 AM
I don't think MP takes near as much money as you guys seem to think it does. MP doesn't even fully run on AnvilNext, as far as I'm aware.

Oleg l Kirrlov
08-05-2013, 04:55 AM
We can all be honest here, we dont buy AC for the multiplayer, we buy it for the one of a kind story telling. I love MP its great ,except when I run into fat *** prestige 100 who knows the game like their face, but if something had to go I would choose MP. Its repetitive and hasnt changed very much.

LoyalACFan
08-05-2013, 04:59 AM
I don't think MP takes near as much money as you guys seem to think it does. MP doesn't even fully run on AnvilNext, as far as I'm aware.

Of course it takes a lot of money... They've got to create the maps, animations, outfits, and game modes, all of which are completely separate from the SP, and though none of these things are extremely challenging to make, it still takes a lot of time and the longer it takes, the more they have to pay their employees. Not to mention the play-testers they have to hire, and the servers they have to pay for (and that's an ongoing expense). Adding all of this up, you've got a serious amount of money invested in MP. Not much in the grand scheme of things for a huge company like Ubisoft who owns dozens of video game franchises, but I would think it eats up quite a considerable portion of the AC budget.

Oleg l Kirrlov
08-05-2013, 05:04 AM
Of course it takes a lot of money... They've got to create the maps, animations, outfits, and game modes, all of which are completely separate from the SP, and though none of these things are extremely challenging to make, it still takes a lot of time and the longer it takes, the more they have to pay their employees. Not to mention the play-testers they have to hire, and the servers they have to pay for (and that's an ongoing expense). Adding all of this up, you've got a serious amount of money invested in MP. Not much in the grand scheme of things for a huge company like Ubisoft who owns dozens of video game franchises, but I would think it eats up quite a considerable portion of the AC budget.

Cant forget how those servers they use for MP are for all games, so theyre still paying for the brotherhood servers, so MP takes up a ton of $$$