PDA

View Full Version : How video game giant Ubisoft will dive into movies with an Assassins Creed film

catkiller97
08-04-2013, 06:35 AM
How video game giant Ubisoft will dive into movies with an Assassinís Creed film (interview) (http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/03/why-video-game-giant-ubisoft-is-jumping-into-movies-with-an-assassins-creed-film-interview/)

scooper121s
08-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Looks like a lot of movies about games are coming out in 2015

LoyalACFan
08-04-2013, 06:43 AM
So it's gonna be CG? Interesting. Still totally not on board with it if it's a remake of one of the games though.

Jexx21
08-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Damn, was hoping for news on what the movie is actually about.

poptartz20
08-04-2013, 06:49 AM
ehh... I'll probably read this later. I've never seen a good video game into movie crossover.

:/ I still wonder what this is suppose to be about.

ladyleonhart
08-04-2013, 11:03 AM
It's going to be a CG movie...? Well... I guess there's hope yet! :)

My favourite CG movie based on a video game is "Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children"! xD It was set after the events of Final Fantasy VII! :D Personally, I loved it!! xD Also, a lot of fans were very happy with it too!! It stayed very true to the story and the characters and it was just so cool!! ^_^

Then... I can't wait Ubisoft! :)

adventurewomen
08-04-2013, 11:31 AM
If this was a CG movie that would only be limiting their audience to the fan community, Ubisoft seems to want to reach out to those who haven't played the game or know much about it, that maybe a live action film, to make their IP stronger. Even their descion to be called Ubisoft Motion Pictures they are branching out from just the games into film production, on IMDb they have chosen Michael Fassbender be in the film they have already casted him to play a Desmond Miles for that it looks like to be a live action film.

ladyleonhart
08-04-2013, 12:09 PM
If this was a CG movie that would only be limiting their audience to the fan community, Ubisoft seems to want to reach out to those who haven't played the game or know much about it, that maybe a live action film, to make their IP stronger. Even their descion to be called Ubisoft Motion Pictures they are branching out from just the games into film production, on IMDb they have chosen Michael Fassbender be in the film they have already casted him to play a Desmond Miles for that it looks like to be a live action film.

I know about Michael Fassbender. :) Then I thought it was going to be a live action film too, but... I think it's a bit too early to tell. Then, I'm waiting for Ubisoft to give us something more concrete. I don't really mind either way. Then it can be CG or live action, as long as they stay true to AC and make it well! xD

Shahkulu101
08-04-2013, 12:10 PM
I would be really dissapointed if these movies are just a remake of the first AC and onwards, but I expect to be dissapointed. I cant think of Fassbender playing anyone else but Desmond or a completely new assassin. I wouldn't understand their decision if I am dissapointed--we already have the novels that have virtually tell the same story.

I'd like a story that does Daniel Cross justice--with a more dignified death; but then people already know what happens to him from the comics. They should take the opportunity to expand on Erudito and other more mysterious plot elements and not rehash old events.

adventurewomen
08-04-2013, 12:23 PM
I know about Michael Fassbender. :) Then I thought it was going to be a live action film too, but... I think it's a bit too early to tell. Then, I'm waiting for Ubisoft to give us something more concrete. I don't really mind either way. Then it can be CG or live action, as long as they stay true to AC and make it well! xD
True, it's just going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

I would be really dissapointed if these movies are just a remake of the first AC and onwards, but I expect to be dissapointed. I cant think of Fassbender playing anyone else but Desmond or a completely new assassin. I wouldn't understand their decision if I am dissapointed--we already have the novels that have virtually tell the same story.

Well from the looks of the AC film listing on IMDb suggest the plot for AC2015, looks to follow the first game. :( -

Storyline

A bartender is captured by a large corporation and sent into a machine named the Animus to relive the memories of his ancestors -- Most of whom are Assassins -- to retrieve powerful and dangerous artifacts.
- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094766/

-------------

The better apporach would be to create the film with a slightly different story, like the first Tomb Raider film the storyline was different but had hints to the overall storyline from the games, that would be a better approach if the AC films implemented the same thing. Even if the characters appeared in the films, but had different storylines also had hints from the game would keep AC fans interested and those who don't play the games interested in the games and make them want to play the AC games.

ladyleonhart
08-04-2013, 12:31 PM

I'd like a story that does Daniel Cross justice--with a more dignified death; but then people already know what happens to him from the comics. They should take the opportunity to expand on Erudito and other more mysterious plot elements and not rehash old events.

I agree with you. However, I can't see them going back to Desmond though. Sure, there were fans who liked him, but there were also many who hated him. Then, I don't think a lot of people would receive it well. Also, if you play the games you already know quite a lot. Then, as you suggested, I think more focus on Erudito and other plot elements would be very interesting. Perhaps they could also tell us more about TWCB. Also, maybe Michael Fassbender's character could work for Abstergo and learn about the Assassin VS Templar feud, kind of like our new modern day protagonist. :) Then, if Ubisoft are trying to appeal to a larger audience, than just AC fans, that would be one way to introduce AC to those who aren't familiar with it without retelling us the same stories.

Shahkulu101
08-04-2013, 12:57 PM
I agree with you. However, I can't see them going back to Desmond though. Sure, there were fans who liked him, but there were also many who hated him. Then, I don't think a lot of people would receive it well. Also, if you play the games you already know quite a lot. Then, as you suggested, I think more focus on Erudito and other plot elements would be very interesting. Perhaps they could also tell us more about TWCB. Also, maybe Michael Fassbender's character could work for Abstergo and learn about the Assassin VS Templar feud, kind of like our new modern day protagonist. :) Then, if Ubisoft are trying to appeal to a larger audience, than just AC fans, that would be one way to introduce AC to those who aren't familiar with it without retelling us the same stories.

Well unfortunately someone posted this delightful piece of info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094766/
I guess there's still an opportunity to expand on Erudito or TWCB. Perhaps we'll see Alan Rikkin, Vidic's boss, and gain a better perspective on his character considering he's almost non-existant in the games. Maybe they'll give Desmond a new personality haha--there are things they can do to keep it interesing I suppose.

I just don't understand how they aren't realising their going to be putting millions of AC fans through deja vu--it will still be the same story at heart and quite frankly I'm really not interested.

adventurewomen
08-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Like I mentioned on my previous post, I'll leave the here:

Well from the looks of the AC film listing on IMDb suggest the plot for AC2015, looks to follow the first game. :( -

Storyline

A bartender is captured by a large corporation and sent into a machine named the Animus to relive the memories of his ancestors -- Most of whom are Assassins -- to retrieve powerful and dangerous artifacts.

In regards to the storyline description on IMDb, The better apporach would be to create the film with a slightly different story, like the first Tomb Raider film the storyline was different but had hints to the overall storyline from the games, that would be a better approach if the AC films implemented the same thing. Even if the characters appeared in the films, but had different storylines also had hints from the game would keep AC fans interested and those who don't play the games interested in the games and make them want to play the AC games.

ladyleonhart
08-04-2013, 01:08 PM
...Maybe they'll give Desmond a new personality haha--there are things they can do to keep it interesing I suppose.

I just don't understand how they aren't realising their going to be putting millions of AC fans through deja vu--it will still be the same story at heart and quite frankly I'm really not interested.

Don't despair Shahkulu. Honestly, that doesn't mean a thing. The movie isn't even out until 2015. As for Michael Fassbender playing Desmond, it's a RUMOUR. It says so on the IMDb website. As for the storyline, anyone who has played AC knows that's how it begins. Then it's just speculation. Ubisoft could decide to take it in ANY direction. So, you really shouldn't worry about it until Ubisoft tells us either way. :)

adventurewomen
08-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Don't despair Shahkulu. Honestly, that doesn't mean a thing. The movie isn't even out until 2015. As for Michael Fassbender playing Desmond, it's a RUMOUR. It says so on the IMDb website. As for the storyline, anyone who has played AC knows that's how it begins. Then it's just speculation. Ubisoft could decide to take it in ANY direction. So, you really shouldn't worry about it until Ubisoft tells us either way. :)
Even though Michael Fassbender is listed under a rumour, I follow IMDb & Film Industry for a long time and listings under this category do have a fact behind them, otherwise Ubisoft would have pulled their casting of Michael on the AC2015 IMDb page by now this IMDb page has been there with Michael's name for 2 years. It is the way it is for time time being, looks like it maybe confirmed soon.

Spider_Sith9
08-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Looks like a lot of movies about games are coming out in 2015

I don't care. I'm just waiting for when Heavy Rain comes out.

That said, both are heavily flawed games so much that they may overwrite it's game forms of them. Heavy Rain's plot holes and AC1's repetition (and Altair's stoicism maybe). Making the films the superior version.

Shahkulu101
08-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Like I mentioned on my previous post, I'll leave the here:

In regards to the storyline description on IMDb, The better apporach would be to create the film with a slightly different story, like the first Tomb Raider film the storyline was different but had hints to the overall storyline from the games, that would be a better approach if the AC films implemented the same thing. Even if the characters appeared in the films, but had different storylines also had hints from the game would keep AC fans interested and those who don't play the games interested in the games and make them want to play the AC games.

Yeah I posted the Imbd link in response to Ladyleonhart. With regards to changing the story line and only hinting towards the games previous elements I'm not sure many would approve. People wouldn't approve of it being severley tampered with and it would be fixing something that isn't broken.

All we can do is speculate at the moment anyway. Although I'm not excited right now who knows what news they will bring about the film. They could tell more of Desmond's story as well and we could see the events leading him to his kidnapping. Like I said--who knows? I reserve judgement for now but can't help being a little dissapointed their rehashing the games.

Shahkulu101
08-04-2013, 01:23 PM

Not too worried honestly, If the movies are bad I'll laugh it off. It's not something I need to get over. And yes Imbd isn't quite so reliable so perhaps there is hope yet. :)

ze_topazio
08-04-2013, 01:31 PM
I would prefer if the movie was a side story, make the film about one of the earlier subjects and show the life of a brand new ancestor in a new time period, American civil war or something, that could attract the attention of the North American public.

adventurewomen
08-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Yeah I posted the Imbd link in response to Ladyleonhart. With regards to changing the story line and only hinting towards the games previous elements I'm not sure many would approve. People wouldn't approve of it being severley tampered with and it would be fixing something that isn't broken.

All we can do is speculate at the moment anyway. Although I'm not excited right now who knows what news they will bring about the film. They could tell more of Desmond's story as well and we could see the events leading him to his kidnapping. Like I said--who knows? I reserve judgement for now but can't help being a little dissapointed their rehashing the games.
I agree, all we fans can do is speculate at the moment.

Not too worried honestly, If the movies are bad I'll laugh it off. It's not something I need to get over. And yes Imbd isn't quite so reliable so perhaps there is hope yet. :)
Well IMDb is a promotional tool for the film industry, actors, production members etc.. it's hard to brush that under the carpet. tbh.

ladyleonhart
08-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Even though Michael Fassbender is listed under a rumour, I follow IMDb & Film Industry for a long time and listings under this category do have a fact behind them, otherwise Ubisoft would have pulled their casting of Michael on the AC2015 IMDb page by now this IMDb page has been there with Michael's name for 2 years. It is the way it is for time time being, looks like it maybe confirmed soon.

I didn't say Michael Fassbender wouldn't be in the movie. I just meant that it doesn't necessarily mean that he will be playing 'Desmond'. Then I was trying to say that it is rumoured that he will be playing Desmond. Therefore, he could be playing a completely different character. I could be wrong, but as I said, at this point we don't really know. I also refer to IMDb sometimes, but I still think it's too early. Also, the fact that anyone can contribute to IMDb's information gives cause for doubt. Then until Ubisoft confirm that I won't believe it. Anyway, I wasn't saying you are wrong at all. That's your opinion and I respect that. Then, this is just my opinion and I really wasn't trying to offend you.

adventurewomen
08-04-2013, 01:42 PM
I didn't say Michael Fassbender wouldn't be in the movie. I just meant that it doesn't necessarily mean that he will be playing 'Desmond'. Then I was trying to say that it is rumoured that he will be playing Desmond. Therefore, he could be playing a completely different character. I could be wrong, but as I said, at this point we don't really know. I also refer to IMDb sometimes, but I still think it's too early. Also, the fact that anyone can contribute to IMDb's information gives cause for doubt. Then until Ubisoft confirm that I won't believe it. Anyway, I wasn't saying you are wrong at all. That's your opinion and I respect that. Then, this is just my opinion and I really wasn't trying to offend you.
Please don't worry, you didn't offend me. I was just stating what I have observed over the years. Yes I agree with you and I agree with what you mentioned that it's too early at the moment, we can always speculate but until get more confirmed news we will just have to relay on information we already have.

The last article we had about AC films was this: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/assassins-creed-michael-fassbender-starring-381518

BTW I'm not a fan of Fassbender, in fact I believe that New Regency & Ubisoft should cast someone else to play Desmond because Fassbender doesn't really look like he could be Desmond to be honest. Desmond is 21 in AC1 and Fassbender seems a little bit too old to play Desmond.

ladyleonhart
08-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Please don't worry, you didn't offend me. I was just stating what I have observed over the years. Yes I agree with you and I agree with what you mentioned that it's too early at the moment, we can always speculate but until get more confirmed news we will just have to relay on information we already have...

BTW I'm not a fan of Fassbender, in fact I believe that New Regency & Ubisoft should cast someone else to play Desmond because Fassbender doesn't really look like he could be Desmond to be honest. Desmond is 21 in AC1 and Fassbender seems a little bit too old to play Desmond.

Okay. Thank you. :)

Lol, I agree with you. He does seem a little old to play Desmond. :p

DisbandedBox359
08-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Please don't worry, you didn't offend me. I was just stating what I have observed over the years. Yes I agree with you and I agree with what you mentioned that it's too early at the moment, we can always speculate but until get more confirmed news we will just have to relay on information we already have.

The last article we had about AC films was this: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/assassins-creed-michael-fassbender-starring-381518

He is a class actor though and actually Desmond is 25 throughout the whole series

adventurewomen
08-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Okay. Thank you. :)

Lol, I agree with you. He does seem a little old to play Desmond. :p
You're welcome! :)

I'm happy you agree! :)

He is a class actor though and actually Desmond is 25 throughout the whole series
Fassbender maybe a "class" actor however that doesn't always carry well, there are many factors to casting actors to consider, that casting directors have to consider.

Desmond was born in the same year as me 1987, he's actually older than me by a few months but anyway. Back when AC1 was released if the game was set back in 2007 he would have been 21. I sometimes get confused with his age lol, because I was 21 as well back in 2007, simple mistake/typo. Anyway yes he was 25 since the Desmond trilogy is set in 2012, however Fassbender just seems a little old to play Desmond, I don't think he would be able to do parkour or free running like Desmond learns later on through the Animus with the bleeding effect.

Spider_Sith9
08-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Can someone tell if this will be the standard and not AC1?

RinoTheBouncer
08-04-2013, 04:36 PM
If it's gonna be CGI, then it's the most perfect decision EVER!

Jexx21
08-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Desmond was born in the same year as me 1987, he's actually older than me by a few months but anyway. Back when AC1 was released if the game was set back in 2007 he would have been 21. I sometimes get confused with his age lol, because I was 21 as well back in 2007, simple mistake/typo. Anyway yes he was 25 since the Desmond trilogy is set in 2012, however Fassbender just seems a little old to play Desmond, I don't think he would be able to do parkour or free running like Desmond learns later on through the Animus with the bleeding effect.

AC1-AC3 took place in 2012 for the modern day. Desmond is 25 the whole series.

ArabianFrost
08-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Why the hate against CGI? Have you not seen the badass CGI in the E3 AC trailers? Hell, if I get a movie like the E3 ACR trailer, I'd be more than pleased.

Megas_Doux
08-04-2013, 08:25 PM
if it's gonna be cgi, then it's the most perfect decision ever!

thisssssssssssssss!!!!!

Spider_Sith9
08-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Can anyone tell me your opinions if this movie takeover AC1's slot?

Kaschra
08-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Why the hate against CGI? Have you not seen the badass CGI in the E3 AC trailers? Hell, if I get a movie like the E3 ACR trailer, I'd be more than pleased.
THIS. This so much.

Spider_Sith9
08-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Hello!!! Someone who's concerned about AC Movie right here! ;__;

RinoTheBouncer
08-05-2013, 03:06 AM

This is just what I was gonna say. I agree 100%. Is there more perfection than that of AC:R teaser or ACII or any AC game trailer? they were all flawless and perfectly done, starting from the first one. I DO NOT want a motion picture because they end up being very reductive. The only financially successful video-game-based-film franchise is Resident Evil, which is usually panned by critics and some fans and praised by others yet succeeded financially for having a sexy and badass female lead. I don't see AC doing anything special in a film.

I think a CGI AC movie would definitely be perfect. Look at how Resident Evil Degeneration was true to the game style and how they improved things very much with RE:Damnation. Look at Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and how perfectly they managed to portray emotions, characters and scenery in wonderful graphics and feeling. I can only imagine how wonderful an AC CGI would be, because you won't be confined to a certain personality of an actor who might end up not being the right choice to many or be chosen just because of his/her name or because he's hot or anything like that. In a CGI, everything will be portrayed just the way the developers wish us to see and I guess that's perfect.

We might want a Tomb Raider film or a Resident Evil film but who really could pull a Lara Croft better than Lara Croft herself? who could pull a Chris Redfield or a Jill Valentine better than the originals themselves? I don't think any actor can make you feel the character you've known and loved as much as the 3D model can. We loved Altair, Ezio and Connor along with the secondary cast and they weren't even pre-rendered in the game and we were okay with that so imagine how much we'll love and related to those characters or any similar ones had they rendered all that into a full length film?

Most of the time, I play AC just to watch the cutscene and enjoy it as a movie and I DO want a movie that is the same as the game without having to deal with something non-canon or a reductive version of the game being played by an actor/actress that I may not feel suitable for the role. Give me a 2 hours film similar to that of the CGI trailers of AC and I will be most thankful.

Sorry to interrupt but IMDB is a good site, yes but there are so many unreliable stuff written there like for example with Resident Evil films, they once said "Eva Mendez will portray Excella Gionne" and then the actress expressed how she was never contacted about it nor she'd like to play any role of that kind and the character Excella Gionne wasn't even in the film.

pirate1802
08-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Hah! Neanderthals disliking CGI!