PDA

View Full Version : The Running Button - XBOX vs. PS

Hofner Chris
08-01-2013, 06:20 PM
I have played the entire Assassins Creed series on XBOX and I'm very used to the controls. Recently, I tried AC3 on PS to see if I could switch in lieu of the exclusive content but discovered that the running button is not the trigger. It was tough to wrap my head around that. Anybody else had trouble with that? It looks like I'll remain loyal to the XBOX for AC4.

Jexx21
08-01-2013, 06:26 PM
The running button is the trigger. There are two trigger buttons on both the right and left sides right?

Hofner Chris
08-01-2013, 06:43 PM
True. You could call R1 a trigger button, but I meant that the "squeeze trigger" if you will. It's basically backwards on the different consoles.

Jexx21
08-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Well.. that's a stupid reason to stay with Xbox.

Bastiaen
08-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Well.. that's a stupid reason to stay with Xbox.

Not so. It's a matter of preference. Besides which, since the control change in AC3, having the extra amount of control offered by the xbox controller is something I PREFER. There are many reasons I'm buying an XBOX One. Many, many many. It has nothing to do with brand loyalty. I actually made up a huge list of the pros and cons (for me) of the two big next gen consoles. XBOX One had by far enough pros to outweigh it's cons, and far more pros than the Playstation 4. I'm anything but a fanboy. I started with Nintendo, moved to microsoft, and own a PSV, which I love. I'm definitely an AC fanboy, as I bought my vita so I could play AC3 LIberation on it. The meaninglessness of the console war is simply pathetic. If I had the money, I would always buy them all... You should all watch Adam Sessler on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veyHzgg_-zE&list=PLWnpHOQXsPDujN8SR1vpcsgInhRGPMG_o
He's got some great rational commentary on how stupid the console war is.

Jexx21
08-01-2013, 07:40 PM
I think the console war is stupid as well. I just think that choosing one simply because of the controller is stupid, because you can get around that via peripherals.

I chose the PS4 based on the fact that I think it has better games.

Nader-Abudiix
08-01-2013, 07:49 PM
its all about prefrence, im really used to R1 on PS3 but i wish they let us choose like FPS games because im sure PS4 version will be using the new triggers

Rugterwyper32
08-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Honestly, I'm sticking with the PS4 next gen because Microsoft has done a LOT to get me to dislike them (most recently, by which I mean today, with the Games with Gold thing, I had to use a VPN to get Crackdown download going from the site because Guatemala is not a Live-approved country or some ****, and a lot of the XBone will probably be useless considering that), but one thing I'll miss is the controller unless Sony got their act together and realized triggers should be pressure sensitive. They already fixed one of my main complaints (size and weight) so we'll see how that goes.

Bastiaen
08-01-2013, 07:57 PM
I think the console war is stupid as well. I just think that choosing one simply because of the controller is stupid, because you can get around that via peripherals.

I chose the PS4 based on the fact that I think it has better games.

I can certainly acknowledge that sony has got some great exclusives, but for the time being, I really prefer microsoft. I really want all the sony exclusive missions though. I love Aveline.

Sushiglutton
08-01-2013, 07:57 PM
The reason is that the R2 (and L2) button(s) sucks on the Ps3 controller. All devs try to avoid and/or map less important action to them. The Ps4 triggers looks much better and I think I read that they will be a lot more responsive (which shouldn't be hard...). So AC on Ps4 may switch to the Xbox type controls, but I haven't heard anything about that yet.

TheBearJew32
08-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Someone posted an image of the ps4 controller layout from comic con i think? it was from the multiplayer...anyways they changed the sprint button to R2 is what i'm getting at ^. that's the one thing i remember about it.

Hofner Chris
08-01-2013, 09:41 PM
The feel of the controller is most important to me. That's why I thought I would ask what you all thought about the difference. A lot of interesting points were brought up here. I would be curious to find out if the new PS4 controller design has Ubisoft deciding to map the running button to R2. If anyone finds out, please share.

OSantaClownO
08-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Not quite sure we're talking about that, I play on PC with an Xbox controller and I have to say one of the things I actually love is that running is not a click button (unlike mouse & keyboard), as it's a "moving button" you may call it. It lets you choose how fast you go, and also let you enjoy the animations more ;)
So yes. I actually like that.

poptartz20
08-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Actually I've never played AC on xbox. I'm a PS kind of person. But all it really comes down to is what's more natural. When you hold an xbox controller it is more natural for you fore fingers to grip around the L&R Trigger buttons. v. the L&R Bumpers. PS it's more natural to press the L1 and R1. vs. our L2 & R2.

Jexx21
08-01-2013, 10:31 PM
PS4 should have the running button being the triggers

poptartz20
08-01-2013, 10:32 PM
PS4 should have the running button being the triggers

I don't think so. :/ The R2 & L2 buttons kinda suck.

Jexx21
08-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Not on the PS4.

TheBearJew32
08-02-2013, 12:30 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1069366_10151584335408068_208254448_n.jpg
(thanks to silvermercy)

OSantaClownO
08-02-2013, 01:09 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1069366_10151584335408068_208254448_n.jpg
(thanks to silvermercy)

This is the Multiplayer controls (just to make everything clarified. )

TheBearJew32
08-02-2013, 05:24 AM
Right...the point i was getting at is if sprinting has been changed to R2 on the ps4 in mulitplayer, it's more than likely gonna be R2 in single player as well.

FR0ZENZiNE
08-02-2013, 06:42 AM
I loved the 360 ,but will switch sides with the 8th generation. (I love the DS4, and yes I used it.)
http://i.imgur.com/Ly0EshF.gif

Aphex_Tim
08-02-2013, 08:22 AM
unless Sony got their act together and realized triggers should be pressure sensitive.

They are on PS3. Ubi just decided to map running and climbing to the non-pressure sensitive shoulder buttons.

having the extra amount of control offered by the xbox controller is something I PREFER.

What do you mean by that? If you're talking about the ability to adjust running speed, this can be done on PS3 as well.

ACfan443
08-02-2013, 11:58 AM
What do you mean by that? If you're talking about the ability to adjust running speed, this can be done on PS3 as well.

Exactly. I prefer PS3's controls, how far you push the stick corresponds to the speed the character runs, it feels more natural.

Mr_Shade
08-02-2013, 12:17 PM
True. You could call R1 a trigger button, but I meant that the "squeeze trigger" if you will. It's basically backwards on the different consoles.
always been that way.

FPS's have aim / shoot on R1/R2 for 90% of games - while Xbox use the RT/LT

Just one of those things I guess..

AC4.. that's a different story..