PDA

View Full Version : As a Might and might 6-8 fan, what's here for me?

NIJAN123
07-26-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm really not trying to be spiteful here, but truly, I am wondering. What's here for the generation of fans I myself belong to. I personally grew up with might and magic 6, 7, 8 and they have major nostalgic value to me. I understand and respect that this game is apparently ment to appeal to an older generation of MM fans, who grew up with 1-5, but this does carry the "might and magic" label afterall, so I'd kinda expect -something- to be thrown into the fix to appeal to, what I expect, is a huge part of the established fanbase.

The way I see it, and correct me if I'm getting it wrong, there is very little here that resembles the might and magic I know and truly love. There is no Arcomage, and the is no free movement exploration. The is no semi-realtime combat system, and the universe has been completely changed years ago. When I looked at the gameplay demo, it in no way brought me back to what I played as a child. The look is different, the gameplay is vastly different and the world is different.

If there are anyone on this forum (which I know there are), of my generation of Might and Magic fans, I'd really like to know whether you find anything in this new and upcoming title, that brings you back to might and magic 6 though 8? Because I don't. I truly, really wishI did, but I dont, and I'm really kinda disapointed with this game from the information I have.

I'd of course also like a response from someone connected to the dev team, but I realize that is far more unlikely.

Ravens Klaws
07-26-2013, 08:49 PM
this is not meant to be like 6-8, as its based on the heyday 1-5 of might and magics.
free roaming contributed to its downfall, i don't see why tile based is a big deal.
i have already explained arcomage, search the forum for the post, they said they are focusing on the game now and the other stuff later.
unfortently your right, theres almost nothing in this game that they have shown that would indicate might and magic,
the trainers are the only thing that represent anything from the might and magic games, but they have even naffed this up by having a skill level limit of 10.
they have removed everything else that was unique about the origional franchise, the sci fi theme>gone(due to ubisoft). the magic>messed up meaning you can either have a party full of magicians or a party of knights not both, as the games balance is badly damaged.
the mage class>gone. replaced by a made worse druid class(they are calling the freemage) that can only gm 1 SCHOOL! thats humiliating. (and no, dark doesn't count)
training buildings>gone. magic itself>non droppable and gone for the most part(both of which i find a completly dumb idea)
game secrets>gone. no more clicking trees or rocks or finding that red wall. unique fitting inventory with space managment>gone.
and the most insulting, demining things of all for a might and magic game, characters and classes which have been in since might and magic 1>gone. no mage, no druids, no archers. nothing. and the one thing which differed might and magic from the other games, the non essential skills such as disarm, body building and perception and all of the rest>completly gone. all the skills are combat based and all of the non combat skills have been replaced with skyrims blessings system. thats just lazy.
in other words, NOTHING from might and magics franchise survived. this is kinda why i think devs of other simular games(in this case its the heroes devs)should keep their hands OFF the other games in the franchise, because they just end up making whatever they where making before, in other words, we are getting a horrible might and magic heroes game(shudders at the boredum)

to be honest, if i do buy this game i am not buying a might and magic game, as from what i have seen there is barely anything even representing might and magic because the devs have never played the party based games(because i find it hard to believe any might and magic party gamer would mess with the formula THIS BADLY) i may not even be buying a good game(i smell a franchise killer because we didn't want to make this game sort of thing,like the mask 2 or alundra 2) but if i do buy it, i will think of it as its own game, and not a might and magic game. as the only might and magic game that it even bares resemblence to is the incomplete might and magic 9.
just in case you didn't read all that, we are not getting a might and magic party game. we are getting a heroes game, if it was party game, the only closest thing to the original franchise i can think of is might and magic 9, which i think i like better than the way X is looking.

qwertyabcdefg
07-26-2013, 09:22 PM
I disagree about MM 6 - 8 being the worst of the series. I never played any until MM 6 and I know a lot of people that fall into the same category. MM 6 made the game more accessible to wider audience while still keeping the essence of might and magic. It had turn based and real time combat you freely use either one a brilliant idea although I used the turn based. It allowed normal movement in all directions or the other stupid restricted legend of grimrock old school movement which makes no sense since that was a limitation of the time and not of today. Support both options and let people choose what kind of movement because I dont want to play that old school jerky movement.
Might and magic 6 was the best of might and magic. The only criticism was the scifi references were kind of stupid that is about it.

qwertyabcdefg
07-26-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm really not trying to be spiteful here, but truly, I am wondering. What's here for the generation of fans I myself belong to. I personally grew up with might and magic 6, 7, 8 and they have major nostalgic value to me. I understand and respect that this game is apparently ment to appeal to an older generation of MM fans, who grew up with 1-5, but this does carry the "might and magic" label afterall, so I'd kinda expect -something- to be thrown into the fix to appeal to, what I expect, is a huge part of the established fanbase.

The way I see it, and correct me if I'm getting it wrong, there is very little here that resembles the might and magic I know and truly love. There is no Arcomage, and the is no free movement exploration. The is no semi-realtime combat system, and the universe has been completely changed years ago. When I looked at the gameplay demo, it in no way brought me back to what I played as a child. The look is different, the gameplay is vastly different and the world is different.

If there are anyone on this forum (which I know there are), of my generation of Might and Magic fans, I'd really like to know whether you find anything in this new and upcoming title, that brings up back to migh tand magic 6 though 8? Because I don't. I truly, really wishI did, but I dont, and I'm really kinda disapointed with this game from the information I have.

I'd of course also like a response from someone connected to the dev team, but I realize that is far more unlikely.

I second this.

Ravens Klaws
07-26-2013, 09:27 PM
and where did i say it was the worst of the series? heck 6 was hailed as one of the BEST in the series.
but the free roamers is where the franchise began to fail and the complaints began. this is due in part to 3dos aquisiton of NWC, where they demanded one a year and demanded quicker launch times.
as for the sci fi, i couldn't care less. the sci fi only appeared at the end off the games so i won't miss it. i just put it there because it was a unique part of the game.

Ravens Klaws
07-26-2013, 09:31 PM

If there are anyone on this forum (which I know there are), of my generation of Might and Magic fans, I'd really like to know whether you find anything in this new and upcoming title, that brings up back to migh tand magic 6 though 8? Because I don't. I truly, really wishI did, but I dont, and I'm really kinda disapointed with this game from the information I have.

i third this, demand answers as to why they messed things up so badly dang it!

qwertyabcdefg
07-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Just allow the option for free roam or the older grid based one then everyone wins. I want free roam not another legend of grimrock. I will say it looks a lot different then MM 6 which is bad in my opinion and I worry about the small number of monsters in a game trying to resemble MM 6. I think the audience for MM 6 would be a lot larger now just look at skyrim and MM 6 was similar in a lot of ways maybe just add difficulties so its a little easier for noobs

NIJAN123
07-26-2013, 09:41 PM
@Raven Klaws
I strongly disagree with free roaming ruining game. Of course, I am naturally biased, having only played the games where the feature is present. But to me, that was a major deal to me, I really felt like I was exploring something freely. I just can't imagine enjoying anything gridbased in first person, it's a silly idea to me.

SO far though, the answer is "no" there is nothing for my, our generation of MM fans, which is a major let down.

It doesn't help that I can't even play it for the lore and the world, since it died with 3DO

Ravens Klaws
07-26-2013, 09:45 PM
yeah i can't deny that either, i liked the free roaming as well.
but im not that bleeping to even care what the movement type is.
just so long as i can go where the heck i want like facing down huge dragons. at level 1.

Ravens Klaws
07-26-2013, 09:47 PM
yeah, the way that the games ended meant that theres nothing for them to base the lore off. the entire dimension itself that was the basis for 7 and 8 and possibly 6 and all previous games was destroyed. when NWC went down, they took the lore with them.

forgottenl
07-26-2013, 10:46 PM
A lot of people consider MM6 the best, I think I voted for MM7. The developers have said MMX is based on MM4-5. The creator of Might and Magic considered this his best game, and the developers and many on this forum agree. The developer also explained MMX does indeed contain many of the features those games did, so I really don't think that calling it a Might and Magic game is unfair. What survives from MM6 is a somewhat reduced skill system (actually more combat skills, but no soft skills), trainers, and 3d graphics. Even though MM6-9 make up the core of my MM experience (I played 1 & 4-5 way back when, 3 for the first time last year, but 6-9 were the ones which were my favourites), I am excited about this game. Party based first person role playing games are almost extinct. Legends of Grimrock was the first in a long time, but it lacked in depth character development, turn based combat (I played 6-9 combat all turn based), and an open world, all of which MMX is striving to achieve. Many things have different names than they used to have. They have renamed the accuracy attribute "perception", the bodybuilding skill "endurance", and the archer class " ranger." This doesn't bother me so much as it does others on this forum. The kind of game they are making is the kind of game I like to play, and quite honestly you won't find many others. Its not going to be the Might and Magic games you remember. Hopefully it will turn out to be a great game anyway.

NIJAN123
07-26-2013, 10:50 PM
To me... And I'm not trying to be offensive here, it's like if TES 6 went back to grid movement because arena had it. It's just so sad to see a series I so used to love, and was so excited to see a new installment for, turn into something not even remotely resembling what I love about it.

forgottenl
07-27-2013, 06:21 AM
I don't think you're being offensive. I can understand your point of view. Personally I don't have a problem with the grid style, since I grew up with it. Might and Magic and Wizardry always represented the kind of game I like the most, a deep tactical, party based first person, role playing game. I also like isometric party based rpgs, simply not so much as first person ones. For that reason I like any kind of game which seems like a serious attempt to do this well. And like I said, these kinds of games haven't been made for years. MMX stand out with Legend of Grimrock as the only ones that have been made FOR YEARS.
There are other old school games, Mail order Monsters, Crusader:No Remorse, Starcraft, Titan Quest, or Mechwarrior, which I loved DESPITE them being platformers, manager simulations, hack & slay games, or real time strategy games. And while I might greet a remake of those particular games, I have no particular love for those kinds of games. I am eyeing Dragon Commander now, DESPITE it being a real time strategy game, because the idea seems cool.

eobet
07-28-2013, 12:41 AM
What's in it for you?

Well, look at it this way: You have five fantastic M&M games to play until Legacy gets released! :P

LE-Larissa
07-31-2013, 06:20 PM
As a Might and might 6-8 fan, what's here for me?

Hi NIJAN,

As you might know, the Might & Magic series started in 1986, and spawned nine games with different gameplays. As a result there are at least 3 generations of fans, with a different opinion on what is a "true Might & Magic game". So we knew, doing MMX and going for the World of Xeen tile-based gameplay, we would neccessarily appeal more to some fans than others. You might want to read Julien's blog post about: Let's do the tilewarp again (https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/51c9af34888ef6f23c000000). (Another one giving some more background on how the development of MMX was started at all will be posted this week on the blog, too).

However knowing all that, our goal is still to propose the best possible game, that can be enjoyed by all Might & Magic fans. If you're a die-hard fan of MM6-8, MMX probably won't become your favourite episode, but we are confident you'll still find it enjoyable in its own right. Just give it a try ;)

That said, we do keep many elements from the MM6-8 era, notably the "expert-master-grandmaster" skill system, and the overall way dialogs, NPCs and quests are handled. So apart from the tile-based movement, many aspects of MMX should feel pretty familiar.

Now we are not forgetting fans of free-roaming movement and if MMX is successful, we might be able to revisit that type of gameplay in the future. ;)

Thanks for opening up this topic and for giving us a chance to respond! :)

Anna (LE-Larissa)

l0gert
08-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi NIJAN,
However knowing all that, our goal is still to propose the best possible game, that can be enjoyed by all Might & Magic fans. If you're a die-hard fan of MM6-8, MMX probably won't become your favourite episode, but we are confident you'll still find it enjoyable in its own right. Just give it a try ;)

That said, we do keep many elements from the MM6-8 era, notably the "expert-master-grandmaster" skill system, and the overall way dialogs, NPCs and quests are handled. So apart from the tile-based movement, many aspects of MMX should feel pretty familiar.

Now we are not forgetting fans of free-roaming movement and if MMX is successful, we might be able to revisit that type of gameplay in the future. ;)

Thanks for opening up this topic and for giving us a chance to respond! :)

Anna (LE-Larissa)
Sadly that everything from what you mention was lived through this many years in many other worlds (read it "games") so you technically not bringing nothing that was in M&M and lost there...
All fans M&M was faced many difficulties and hard chooses! We was all have throw the glove in faces of gods and creators... We saves the world from destruction! We don't need bless from the dragon: we was dragonslayers!

I`m enjoying of new story in universe that i like but when it doing in right way, and if your story will hold my soul and heart through all the game than you will succeed (and I hope you will)!
(Sorry for my English i`m from Ukraine and i`m very bad student:()

Ravens Klaws
08-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Sadly that everything from what you mention was lived through this many years in many other worlds (read it "games") so you technically not bringing nothing that was in M&M and lost there...
All fans M&M was faced many difficulties and hard chooses! We was all have throw the glove in faces of gods and creators... We saves the world from destruction! We don't need bless from the dragon: we was dragonslayers!

I`m enjoying of new story in universe that i like but when it doing in right way, and if your story will hold my soul and heart through all the game than you will succeed (and I hope you will)!
(Sorry for my English i`m from Ukraine and i`m very bad student:()

thats the general opinion of most of the might and magic fanbase, limbic is not making a might and magic game and insulting the franchise by calling this one might and magic.
however, its best to look at this game not as something thats might and magic, but simply as a new game of a differrent franchise. in other words, not might and magic.

JF_caracol
08-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Sorry for the noobish question, but what does turn-based exactly mean? Like Age of Wonders, or what?

Himekochikane
08-06-2013, 09:12 AM
thats the general opinion of most of the might and magic fanbase,

Nope. Most of the fanbase is looking forward to this game, from what I have seen.

limbic is not making a might and magic game and insulting the franchise by calling this one might and magic.

Nope. Replaying World of Xeen (ie 4+5) right now, so this looks definitely like a true Might&Magic game that many of us have waited for since a long time.

Notice that games like Etrian Odyssey, Wizardry and Grimrock are very popular, so don't think that people don't like the old way. We wanted it back for a long, long time. It works just fine and is definitely superior to the real time way, because it adds strategy. MM6-9 were pretty much easymode, just walk backwards, circle strafe and laugh while enemies get bowshotted down. You could even do that to the dragon in MM7 in the beginner area.

Not every game has to be a version of COD.

narupley
08-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Nope. Most of the fanbase is looking forward to this game, from what I have seen.

Nope. Replaying World of Xeen (ie 4+5) right now, so this looks definitely like a true Might&Magic game that many of us have waited for since a long time.

Notice that games like Etrian Odyssey, Wizardry and Grimrock are very popular, so don't think that people don't like the old way. We wanted it back for a long, long time. It works just fine and is definitely superior to the real time way, because it adds strategy. MM6-9 were pretty much easymode, just walk backwards, circle strafe and laugh while enemies get bowshotted down. You could even do that to the dragon in MM7 in the beginner area.

Not every game has to be a version of COD.

As long as it's more M&M / Wizardry and less Grimrock, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Aeon1977
08-18-2013, 03:21 AM
Itīs the core experience of M&M which counts, not a special relation to certain games in the whole series...! And: No mambo dance (Grimrock / Black Crypt etc.) and no fps-similarities. I enjoy what Iīve seen so far, letīs just wait and see until we can play it. Worst case would be a bug-fest like Realm Of Arkania Remake... Ouch!

imperialus81
08-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Grimrock's big problem was that it was too limited by being exclusively in a dungeon tileset. It got repetitive fast. In all honesty Grimrock is more like a poor man's Stonekeep than a M&M game but even Stonekeep had at least 7 or 8 different tilesets ranging from castle ruins, to ice caverns, memorable NPC's like Wahooka the Great (Or The Great Wahooka), NPC followers with personality, ect.

joncollins55
08-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Wow. First time here, and I'm amazed at the amount of whinging about the decision to based Legacy on the extremely popular and successful Worlds of Xeen games. What's in it for fans of M&M 6-8? How about a new RPG entry in the Might and Magic series? And one that looks fantastic at that. I love M&M 6-8 as well, but the idea that there's nothing here for fans of those games is just silly and bloody-minded. Let's celebrate a new RPG in the Might and Magic series, something I didn't expect to happen at all a few years ago, and support the devs on what looks to be a brilliant game. Don't let us down, Limbic!