PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft has put effort to improved stealth in ac 4

AlexEzio89
07-26-2013, 03:51 AM
http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/26/assassins-creed-4-ubisoft-has-put-effort-into-improved-stealth/

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 04:04 AM
we need an official thread to put all the articles.

and we already knew this.

AlexEzio89
07-26-2013, 05:01 AM
Yes is a good think to have thread with all news sorry i dont know is alredy post

Rickin10
07-26-2013, 11:02 AM
I keep hearing the 'improved stealth,' but in all the gameplay shown I've seen precious little evidence to support this.

Whilst I'm encouraged to hear them talk about focusing on level design and guard placement, it still blows my mind that in 2013 in a game that has 'assassin' in the title and has stealth as a key part of the experience, they haven't even got a dedicated crouch button!

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Did you see the 13-minute gameplay demo? There's also a minute of footage in a plantation that shows some more stealth gameplay.

And the series largely focuses on social stealth rather than actual crouching, which in my opinion is cool. Crouching shouldn't be needed for stealth, especially since it's only really useful to hide behind an object. In real life, crouching actually makes you louder (while stepping), rather than quieter. Instead of crouching, what they should do is add a system similar to the "hide behind walls" mechanic, where you'll crouch behind certain walls and objects to hide behind enemies.

Also, assassins aren't always stealthy. Ninjas and Thieves are the ones that are supposed to always be stealthy. Assassins.. no, not always stealthy.

pirate1802
07-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Did you see the 13-minute gameplay demo? There's also a minute of footage in a plantation that shows some more stealth gameplay.

And the series largely focuses on social stealth rather than actual crouching, which in my opinion is cool. Crouching shouldn't be needed for stealth, especially since it's only really useful to hide behind an object. In real life, crouching actually makes you louder (while stepping), rather than quieter. Instead of crouching, what they should do is add a system similar to the "hide behind walls" mechanic, where you'll crouch behind certain walls and objects to hide behind enemies.

Also, assassins aren't always stealthy. Ninjas and Thieves are the ones that are supposed to always be stealthy. Assassins.. no, not always stealthy.

They should have something like the auto-crouch mechanic like there was in Tomb Raider. Crouch when behind cover in a restricted zone. They partially did this in AC III, and should expand upon it.

Sushiglutton
07-26-2013, 05:43 PM
That's very good to hear Ashraf speaking so specifically about it! I feel confident they have done improvements. If they will be enough remains to see.

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 05:48 PM
They should have something like the auto-crouch mechanic like there was in Tomb Raider. Crouch when behind cover in a restricted zone. They partially did this in AC III, and should expand upon it.
Completely agree, actually thought of Tomb Raider when thinking about it as well.

I just don't think that a manual crouch button is needed. They just need to implement some more auto-crouch mechanics. They already started it with Edward staying crouched coming out of the underbrush, but that may be there mostly to keep moving from bush to bush easy.

Rickin10
07-26-2013, 06:05 PM

Yes I've seen the 13 minute demo, but not the plantation one (is that available anywhere?). I have no problems with the social stealth aspect - in fact it's one of the things I really enjoy about the game - I just find it quite archaic that a game that allows you so much freedom in movement doesn't allow you to do something as basic as crouch, which is implemented in almost every game. This leads to a lot of ridiculous situations where you need to infiltrate an area and there are waist-high objects that could be so useful, but you simply can't use leaving you a choice of standing there like a lemon, finding a head-high piece of cover much further away or going up onto a roof. But even then standing on the roof is much more conspicuous then if you were able to crouch down. I agree that they could use a crouch just behind objects, that would be fine.

Yep, I'm aware assassins aren't necessarily always stealthy, I was really just alluding to the - imo - ludicrous situation that in the context of a game that pushes stealth as a core part of the game it has such a basic omission.

Sushiglutton
07-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Yes I've seen the 13 minute demo, but not the plantation one (is that available anywhere?). I have no problems with the social stealth aspect - in fact it's one of the things I really enjoy about the game - I just find it quite archaic that a game that allows you so much freedom in movement doesn't allow you to do something as basic as crouch, which is implemented in almost every game. This leads to a lot of ridiculous situations where you need to infiltrate an area and there are waist-high objects that could be so useful, but you simply can't use leaving you a choice of standing there like a lemon, finding a head-high piece of cover much further away or going up onto a roof. But even then standing on the roof is much more conspicuous then if you were able to crouch down. I agree that they could use a crouch just behind objects, that would be fine.

Yep, I'm aware assassins aren't necessarily always stealthy, I was really just alluding to the - imo - ludicrous situation that in the context of a game that pushes stealth as a core part of the game it has such a basic omission.

Agree with this a 100%.

Jexx21
07-26-2013, 06:11 PM
I still don't think that the series requires a manual crouch button. It should be context-sensitive.

pirate1802
07-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Completely agree, actually thought of Tomb Raider when thinking about it as well.

I just don't think that a manual crouch button is needed. They just need to implement some more auto-crouch mechanics. They already started it with Edward staying crouched coming out of the underbrush, but that may be there mostly to keep moving from bush to bush easy.

Nope, manual crouch isn't needed. Just as in TR Lara would enter auto-crouch mode when in combat, in AC for example we can enter auto crouch mode while in restricted zones or stalking somebody. So you'll automatically take cover if behind a barrel or a rock. While fee roaming, you will behave normally and not suddenly take cover behind a barrel if you walk too close to it. Again, like it is in TR.

Also, Sushi's avatar and banner constantly makes me hungry. Y U DO DIS??