PDA

View Full Version : Choose your favorite Might&Magic

yolev48
07-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Quite simple, which of the following Might&Magic you prefer?

Ironfist84
08-01-2013, 10:07 AM
MM6 all the way..

l0gert
08-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Oh that easy: from 4 to 8)!

Jemo8103
08-05-2013, 08:33 AM
only played 6+7+9, but madate of heaven was the one that dragged me into this world, so first love wins there. though i would love to have had grand masters in mm6

Kmanfree
08-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Problem with this poll is that the older games, mid to early 90's are a bit of a disadvantage as many younger folks may never had tried them and by today's standards graphics and interface is sub-par.

Aeon1977
08-10-2013, 09:12 AM
For me, parts II - V were the best ones, not because of their graphics or interface but of the very special feeling they gave me. I even completed a new walkthrough of MMII recently, Although graphically and in terms of interface very "basic", the game was ahead of its time in case of gameplay and this open world feeling. I must say when VI came out I was a bit disappointed, because it felt somehow odd with its FPS like feel and this ridiculously large groups of monsters and stuff. The final of Temple of Baa was one of the biggest wtf moments I remember playing an rpg. Although it still had the great quest system, skills and stuff, it felt more like a story-driven FPS to me than a "real" rpg like I was used to. But thats just a personal thing of taste, I can understand anybody whose first experience with MM was Mandate of Heaven and the later ones, that those games were their favourites.

jparsons1111
08-11-2013, 10:15 PM
I am playing III for the first time and I think it is fantastic. I like 4 and 5.. My favorite game is 6. I like the choices the player had a far as what spells to buy, what skills to have and how quickly to explore the world of Enroth. I liked the fact that players were given most characters could utilize most skills, allowing the player to customize his game experience. I also liked the fact that each spell could be used by every person who had the skill. For example, the Town Portal spell could be used by a person with Level 1 in Water Magic, the spell just could not be used effectively. I like that,it gave the player more choices on how to use the party gold. (MM3, 4 and 5 were also open ended)

In short, I like the open ended gameplay of M3-MM6. In later games, as part of the class structure, players were given less choices as to how to play the game They were prevented from using skills and spells for no apparent reason. The worlds seemed to be smaller and the experience was less enjoyable.

chrismarkusen
08-12-2013, 01:02 AM
I remember the first time I played 3, the game totally kicked my butt! I didnt even play through it until after 4 and 5 came out and I solved those games. Then I went back and was able to play through part 3. When part 6 came out, I fell in love with the series all over again, as many of us did at that time. I loved part 7, and 8 was just as awesome, even if it was only riding on the coat tails of part 6 and 7. I didnt care for part 9 as much, but only because it didnt seem to be as completely thought out as the previous games. I recall it being buggy as well.

Keyrock42
08-12-2013, 03:45 PM
I voted 5, though I kind of consider 4&5 to be one game, since that's how I played them.

yolev48
08-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Problem with this poll is that the older games, mid to early 90's are a bit of a disadvantage as many younger folks may never had tried them and by today's standards graphics and interface is sub-par.
It is true that those who played 6-8 only will most probably vote for those installments, even though they haven't played 1-5 at all. BUT, there is also a big chance that older people who played 1-5 as their first M&M game will vote for them only for nostalgia reasons, so there is generally gonna be little objectivity here. The reason for this pool is mainly to show the developers one more time which of the 2 M&M era has more fans. When 6&7 were released, i thought whoa, a real time M&M game, and consider it a great leap forward, so i voted for 7 here..

imperialus81
08-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Mine in Isles of Terra, though seven is a pretty close contender.

I was living in Argentina back in the early to mid 90's. One of the guys who worked with my dad knew that I was into computers, fantasy books, and boardgames (I played Hero Quest and eventually Magic the Gathering religiously) so he brought me some computer games that him and his son had finished playing. One of the first that I got was Might and Magic III. I played the everluvin hell out of it.

I ended up missing out on Might and Magic IV-V, since by the time I moved back to Canada M&M VI was out and I played that instead, but I still play M&M III after picking it up on GoG a couple years ago though I still have my old box for the original too.

Might and Magic VII on the other hand pretty much defined my life in High School. Going back to both now though I've found the nostalgia goggles for MMIII haven't lost their rosy tint. The beautiful pixel art, and remarkably open form gameplay still hold up while the primitive 3d effects with flat 2d sprites from MMVII look rather dated now.