PDA

View Full Version : Next gen graphics explained

Wolfmeister1010
07-14-2013, 04:15 PM
A new article explains what we can expect on next gen consoles graphics wise.

http://gamingbolt.com/ubisoft-explains-ps4-version-of-assassins-creed-4-will-have-superior-waves-and-wind-simulation

Basically, ubisoft says that other than better textures, smoke, and general graphics, the waves and wind will be more developed in the next gen consoles. You will really "feel" the wind affecting the jackdaw.

Other than that, I have some reassuring news for anyone who believes that the graphics are not so good.

All of the demos shown so far have been running on a high end PC (even the most recent one) and not only have viewers of closed door demos said that the footage they have seen is on a level unachievable by YouTube clips, but ubisoft has also said that the final product will be even more graphically enhanced.
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/07/13/assassins-creed-4-preview/

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 04:18 PM
What kind of an idiot would think AC4 visuals are not good...

Sushiglutton
07-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Sounds nice, the more physics the better

x___Luffy___x
07-14-2013, 04:23 PM

exactly... its awesome. it ll be an eye candy on pc...

Wolfmeister1010
07-14-2013, 04:29 PM

I used wrong phrasing. I meant to say that some people say that the graphics seen so far do not look next gen.

Wolfmeister1010
07-14-2013, 04:29 PM
exactly... its awesome. it ll be an eye candy on pc...

Well, for a couple of years, until better Pcs come out, it'll be best on ps4 or xone.

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Well, for a couple of years, until better Pcs come out, it'll be best on ps4 or xone.
Uhhh no. PC will always have the best visuals that's a fact.

Next-gen is essentially a 2011 PC. But let's not start some console war here.

Wolfmeister1010
07-14-2013, 04:32 PM

Really? Oh my bad

x___Luffy___x
07-14-2013, 05:46 PM

true

ACfan443
07-14-2013, 05:56 PM
the footage they have seen is on a level unachievable by YouTube clips

There's an uncompressed version here http://www.gamersyde.com/news_black_flag_takes_us_on_a_stroll-14311_en.html

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 06:02 PM
There's an uncompressed version here http://www.gamersyde.com/news_black_flag_takes_us_on_a_stroll-14311_en.html
I would really suggest ignoring the MTV article, it's stupid. Compression doesn't make the video lose all the game details, it just reduces the quality. And it depends on what type of compression is used.

Like many, I have wondered if next generation systems are truly necessary, since many of the games that we have today are quite capable in the graphics department.

"Assassin's Creed 4" arrives on the PS3, Xbox 460, Wii U on October 29th.
A new system, unheard of...

"We started AC4 while AC3 was still in production. When the very first prototype of that game's naval battles started coming around, and we gaged all the play-testers' reactions, we knew we had something in our hands. At that point it was felt that we he had what was needed to finally do a pirate game. We've always wanted to do a pirate game."
Apparently Ubi gags all their playtesters, job seekers be warned!

Megas_Doux
07-14-2013, 06:10 PM

Haters gonna hate.....

Mr_Shade
07-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Apparently Ubi gags all their playtesters, job seekers be warned!
NDA's are common in the industry..

Even I have to sign one.. odd that ;)

Megas_Doux
07-14-2013, 06:19 PM
I

A new system, unheard of...

!

And yet, still better than Xbox one :P

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 06:33 PM
NDA's are common in the industry..

Even I have to sign one.. odd that ;)
I'm sure you didn't sign for a physical gag...or maybe you did and that's why you're a Forum manager who has to use text :P

Mr_Shade
07-14-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm sure you didn't sign for a physical gag...or maybe you did and that's why you're a Forum manager who has to use text :P
yeah...

ze_topazio
07-14-2013, 06:39 PM

b0vril
Commented on 2013-07-11 00:23:43

OMG, the crabs don't have ANY shadows!

next-gen is ****.

Driftwood
Commented on 2013-07-11 00:25:27 In reply to b0vril

Maybe on Xbox One, thanks to the power of the cloud. :jk:

:p

lol

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 06:58 PM
b0vril
Commented on 2013-07-11 00:23:43

OMG, the crabs don't have ANY shadows!

next-gen is ****.

Driftwood
Commented on 2013-07-11 00:25:27 In reply to b0vril

Maybe on Xbox One, thanks to the power of the cloud. :jk:

:p

lol
:O didn't notice before no crab shadows, 0/10 will not ever recommend or play.

MadJC1986
07-14-2013, 07:22 PM
:O didn't notice before no crab shadows, 0/10 will not ever recommend or play.

Even in Crysis 1 crabs had shadows!!!!!!!!!
AC4 is so totally not next gen!!!!!!!!
OMG!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL5SbyYGwfE

STDlyMcStudpants
07-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Since we are speaking PC and how consoles will never catch up to its performance...I heard that PS4 will be customizable under the hood...could of course be a rumor...Also devolopers have said that in 10 years video games for both console and pc will be photo realistic
But in the end PC isnt better than Console by default...it just has the potential to be better because its all down to what youre willing to put into your pc...
Me personally, I play HD remakes and just bought 3D dot hero...I obviously could care less about a games graphics..i play for the story and the fun BUT I cant wait for a photo realistic day with VR goggles coming to consoles...no more TV, just plug in your goggles and headphones..that is going to be awesome! (Still with controller in hand though)

ArabianFrost
07-14-2013, 09:20 PM
So as a poor PS3 plebeian, how much am I missing out in terms of "wind"? How really different is the wind? Is it just a matter of the masts moving in a certain direction due to wind, or is it an overhaul of steering mechanics with next gen due to the developed wind?

I'll probably legitimately buy the game on PS3 then pirate it on PC simply to exeprience the new graphics no more.

STDlyMcStudpants
07-14-2013, 09:34 PM
So as a poor PS3 plebeian, how much am I missing out in terms of "wind"? How really different is the wind? Is it just a matter of the masts moving in a certain direction due to wind, or is it an overhaul of steering mechanics with next gen due to the developed wind?

I'll probably legitimately buy the game on PS3 then pirate it on PC simply to exeprience the new graphics no more.
I never thought of that...the irony haha pirating a pirate game
PC games go for super cheap though, you could probably snatch a pc copy on ebay for like 15 bucks its release week

Sushiglutton
07-14-2013, 09:40 PM

My guess is that the next-gen wind won't affect gameplay, but only the visuals. Otherwise they would have to tune "two" games which would require a lot of extra effort.

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 09:44 PM

Not much mechanical difference can be there till ****gen has to be supported. It's a vicious cycle, people look at next gen games and "hurr we don't want better visuals" and since devs have to make money and support previous gen they can't make any real progress so prettier visuals is all they can offer, people see that and nope, I'll stick with my 7 year old spidercowebcovered hardware because visuals don't matter and have nothing to do with the creative vision of the developers at all.

STDlyMcStudpants
07-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Not much mechanical difference can be there till ****gen has to be supported. It's a vicious cycle, people look at next gen games and "hurr we don't want better visuals" and since devs have to make money and support previous gen they can't make any real progress so prettier visuals is all they can offer, people see that and nope, I'll stick with my 7 year old spidercowebcovered hardware because visuals don't matter and have nothing to do with the creative vision of the developers at all.
Everyone wants better visuals...but thats not the #1 priority...how the game looks is my very last concern..

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Everyone wants better visuals...but thats not the #1 priority...how the game looks is my very last concern..
You missed the whole point of the post didn't you, lol

ArabianFrost
07-14-2013, 10:52 PM

Damn the devs for not catering to as much people as possible in terms of game accessibility, right? It's not like it's a bad thing to sell the game to as many people as possible?

Financially, it's pretty much suicidal to not cater to what is probably going to form half of the fanbase. Moreover, no one gets hurt and people who don't want to readily spend money on a 400 machine, benefit. For God's sake, it's a luxury item, no one sits in their room for hours thinking of how f*cked their life is because their 400 machine doesn't have slightly better graphics. Just let it slip. It's just a game. People want to enjoy it for the sake of gameplay. Don't be mad more people can enjoy it in exchange for your eyes not being able to see slightly better textures.

STDlyMcStudpants
07-14-2013, 10:53 PM
You missed the whole point of the post didn't you, lol

All I heard was sarcasm about people not caring about graphics..and that was what i was replying to ;)
All I hope for this gen is less guns...after congress wanted to ban gun in video games here in the us, everyone got upset including me...but tbh it would be kind of nice to stop seeing shooters lol

Wolfmeister1010
07-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Some say that gameplay matters the most. Some say that graphics does.

Me? I have a very even distribution of ****s to give for all parts of a game. I care about graphics, gameplay, story, and innovation all the same as each other. If I played a game that had amazing gameplay and a great story but ****ty graphics, I would probably be disappointed, but would I refuse to play it just because its not orgasmic for my eyes? No. Everyone just needs to calm down and respect other people's opinions on the importance of graphics in games.

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 11:07 PM
EDIT: Almost forgot tis a kids forums ...

Damn the devs for not catering to as much people as possible in terms of game accessibility, right? It's not like it's a bad thing to sell the game to as many people as possible?

Financially, it's pretty much suicidal to not cater to what is probably going to form half of the fanbase. Moreover, no one gets hurt and people who don't want to readily spend money on a 400 machine, benefit. For God's sake, it's a luxury item, no one sits in their room for hours thinking of how f*cked their life is because their 400 machine doesn't have slightly better graphics. Just let it slip. It's just a game. People want to enjoy it for the sake of gameplay. Don't be mad more people can enjoy it in exchange for your eyes not being able to see slightly better textures.
You do realize I'm not blaming the devs, right? right?!?!?

All I heard was sarcasm about people not caring about graphics..and that was what i was replying to ;)

Yes well it does piss me off so while I stated a point, I decorated it a bit.

I'll just answer both of you together, what I'm saying isssss
The next-gen will only offer 'better graphics' so long as crossgen games will be made. Now you will ask why? because your average consumer won't understand.."I payed $60 for this game, why does the other version has so many better features!!!! zomg boycott game, burn them to the ground!"

You see, games that aim for multiplatform will be made with the lowest config in mind, so that it can handle it. So you canno't have groundbreaking truly new massive games until the lowest config is not a decade old.

Wolfmeister1010
07-14-2013, 11:16 PM
While next gen has so much better possibilities than current gen, they still want it to be the same assassins creed game for all the consoles. So, the only thing they can do to upgrade the next gen without getting people angry is to improve the graphics. The next AC will probably not be cross gen, so we can assume that game will take full advantage over all the things the next gen has to offer.

Wolfmeister1010
07-14-2013, 11:18 PM
...............................You both have the reading comprehension of the american... jeez it's like "I only read what I want to."

The next-gen will only offer 'better graphics' so long as crossgen games will be made. Now you will ask why? because your average consumer won't understand.."I payed $60 for this game, why does the other version has so many better features!!!! zomg boycott game, burn them to the ground!"

You see, games that aim for multiplatform will be made with the lowest config in mind, so that it can handle it. So you canno't have groundbreaking truly new massive games until the lowest config is not a decade old.

You don't have to insult Americans...you'll start battle on this forum

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 11:31 PM
You don't have to insult Americans...you'll start battle on this forum
Eh, no intention of starting a battle, I've just seen how STD guy responds to it so I was poking him a bit.

While next gen has so much better possibilities than current gen, they still want it to be the same assassins creed game for all the consoles. So, the only thing they can do to upgrade the next gen without getting people angry is to improve the graphics. The next AC will probably not be cross gen, so we can assume that game will take full advantage over all the things the next gen has to offer.
Precisely, someone understands...and about that...that completely depends on the developer/publisher, for example EA has announced they will support current gen till 2017...bummer.

ArabianFrost
07-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Some say that gameplay matters the most. Some say that graphics does.

Me? I have a very even distribution of ****s to give for all parts of a game. I care about graphics, gameplay, story, and innovation all the same as each other. If I played a game that had amazing gameplay and a great story but ****ty graphics, I would probably be disappointed, but would I refuse to play it just because its not orgasmic for my eyes? No. Everyone just needs to calm down and respect other people's opinions on the importance of graphics in games.

Point taken. I never insulted anyone. I'm just saying that people shouldn't act like current-gen is some anti-christ. People on next-gen and PC will get stunnning graphics, but people on current gen would get good good graphics that are inferior to next gen. Why prevent the lesser fortunate on current gen from sharing enjoyment of the game if it doesn't hurt anyone? It's selfish. Do people also understand that by choosing only next-gen, the devs will sell less and maybe damage sales? Devs need this money to make more games at an even greater scale, so why possibly scathe their sales and put them at a disdvantage in exchange for needlessly catering to a narrower audience that would barely get any significantly altered mechanics?

ArabianFrost
07-14-2013, 11:51 PM
...............................You both have the reading comprehension of the american... jeez it's like "I only read what I want to."

Come off it. I didn't mean the devs per se, I just meant Ubisoft as a whole. Anywho, do you want to blame the consumer that pays full money or the company for making these decisions? Full-fledged next gen games are already in development (e.g The Division, The Crew), so don't really complain about current gen holding games behind. Just wait a year or two. It's not like it makes any difference. Games with a release date of 2013 or 2014 were already made for current gen in mind anyway.

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Come off it. I didn't mean the devs per se, I just meant Ubisoft as a whole. Anywho, do you want to blame the consumer that pays full money or the company for making these decisions? Full-fledged next gen games are already in development (e.g The Division, The Crew), so don't really complain about current gen holding games behind. Just wait a year or two. It's not like it makes any difference. Games with a release date of 2013 or 2014 were already made for current gen in mind anyway.
Nobody is being blamed, that's the point of calling it a ******* cycle.

STDlyMcStudpants
07-15-2013, 02:57 AM

Actually Graphics are one of the back burner selling points. You're a PC guys so I dont expect you to know much about what next gen is offering...but it is offering connectivity
Pick up and go
Interacting with your game and friends whenever and wherever you want...streaming live Lets Play videos, the old school gaming feel of getting stuck on a boss and handing it over to your friend so they can give it a try (Since this gen will bring the technology to do this from anywhere in the world)...I see fun that we saw in the 80s and 90s coming back this generation
A faded line between single player and multiplayer
Thats what I see coming from next gen...NOT graphics though they obviously will improve...i mean its actually less work to make better graphics..leaving renders how they are

AC2_alex
07-15-2013, 05:33 AM

Do realize how much of a massive tool you are? I thought humanity was passed this s h i t.

Ureh
07-15-2013, 05:54 AM
I think story and graphics are in a symbiotic relationship. If one falters, the other will also. Most if not all of us can't enjoy an ugly (or antiquated) game even if it has a good narrative. And vice versa.

I try to play some of old 90s games (like Deus Ex and Fallout, etc) but sometimes the graphics and clunky controls just make me go, "Dang it I like it and all, but goodness sakeseses it looks horrible."

But right now I think the graphics are fine where they are. But it could be better!

Moultonborough
07-15-2013, 07:21 AM
This is as big news as Kate not having her baby today. :D

ProletariatPleb
07-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Do realize how much of a massive tool you are? I thought humanity was passed this s h i t.
EDIT: Bah people will get butthurt over it, might as well remove it.

Actually Graphics are one of the back burner selling points. You're a PC guys so I dont expect you to know much about what next gen is offering...but it is offering connectivity
Pick up and go
Interacting with your game and friends whenever and wherever you want...streaming live Lets Play videos, the old school gaming feel of getting stuck on a boss and handing it over to your friend so they can give it a try (Since this gen will bring the technology to do this from anywhere in the world)...I see fun that we saw in the 80s and 90s coming back this generation
A faded line between single player and multiplayer
Thats what I see coming from next gen...NOT graphics though they obviously will improve...i mean its actually less work to make better graphics..leaving renders how they are
Yeah well the PC guy actually happens to follow the industry quite a lot. I still don't see what's this got to do with: why next-gen games won't be anything but better graphics till they are made for both new and old hardware.

Legendz54
07-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Might as well finish off one of my favourite series on the PS3, maybe in a few months we will see about getting it on ps4.