PDA

View Full Version : AC4 modern day section is optional?

Wolfmeister1010
07-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Found article.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/80152/the-modern-day-story-of-assassins-creed-4-is-optional

What do you guys think? Personally, I am kinda worried, because if the modern day section is optional, then that must mean that the modern day story is not very important or compelling. But then again, my favorite parts of the modern day story in AC were the parts revealed in multiplayer, and the info revealed through glyphs. Both of these have always been entirely optional. Based on this article, I assume that the modern day story will want you to dig deep to find hidden info about the Templar/assassins and the truth about abstergo through emails, hacks, and perhaps erudito messages, and it will be really interesting for the fans of the modern day story, but unlike previous entrees, the modern day story will not intercede directly with the ancestor's story, so as to make it "optional".

AC2_alex
07-13-2013, 06:12 AM
This is how modern day should be handled from here on out.

Moultonborough
07-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Yes, it is optional. A little info about it was released about it (that info only) quite a while ago. I am sure however there will be a few mandatory Modern parts. Besides the start and end of the game. Personally I loved the Modern story which was why we had a historical game. Just wish they spent a longer time on it. Unlike most people that I've noticed anyway.

Assassin_M
07-13-2013, 06:25 AM
It can`t be entirely optional...that`s bullocks..

Ureh
07-13-2013, 06:27 AM
That's actually pretty neat. This is good for those that want to focus solely only in the animus.

Really though, most of the present day stuff in the AC games have been pretty optional and brief. So this isn't all that different. I'm sure that 40+ minute radio program further adds to the optionalness. And from what I've heard so far there won't be any platforming and/or combat in the presebt day right? So even less reason for some gamers to stick around.

ArabianFrost
07-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Fan service? Are you bloody kidding me? Fan service?

With all due respect,here's the thing I don't understand. This "fan service" is the backbone of ALL the overaching plots. This "fan service" is why reliving the lives of a Native American then going back to his Pirate geandfather in the west indies makes sense. This "fan service" is (was) a very robust mechanic that infused an intriguing mythology with grounded reality and gave moral ambguity to both the fictional and the non-fictional. This "fan service" is a very interesting aspect that gives depth to all the actions in game and further explains the intentions of both factions. Forsaken is the day the modern part ever became a burden and forsaken he who hath ordered it to be plunged to waste. But that's just impulsive me talking. Feel free to disagree.

I don't agree with how they choose to name it, but at least they were gracious enough to pay any respect to the hardcore fans. Their approach to it is horrible, but I hope the execution is as good as they make it sound. These conspiracy theories are a main draw for me to the series.

As for anyone wondering, the article was pretty clear, it's TOTALLY optional. Meaning that, apart from some key plot points, you can pretty much ignore it all together. This is pretty much a way to appease to the people that couldn't handle an hour or two of alternative plot progression. Meh, I guess. Stops people from whining. It's a good thing they're expanding upon it, but I hate to see the modern plot being less and less essential towards the major plot.

Assassin_M
07-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Come on, guys...be realistic here...it`s just not possible...it can`t be ALL optional...he just said that there are a few mandatory plot points...that`s it...that`s just like every other AC game, but AC II

ArabianFrost
07-13-2013, 06:48 AM
Come on, guys...be realistic here...it`s just not possible...it can`t be ALL optional...he just said that there are a few mandatory plot points...that`s it...that`s just like every other AC game, but AC II

Imagine it like ACRs MP. You'll get 3 or 4 cutscenes, but the rest is COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY OPTIONAL. Ashraf said it loud and clear it will be ALL optional.

Moultonborough
07-13-2013, 06:50 AM
That's actually pretty neat. This is good for those that want to focus solely only in the animus.

Really though, most of the present day stuff in the AC games have been pretty optional and brief. So this isn't all that different. I'm sure that 40+ minute radio program further adds to the optionalness. And from what I've heard so far there won't be any platforming and/or combat in the presebt day right? So even less reason for some gamers to stick around.

Two questions:

1) What do you mean radio program. I don't see the Modern part as a "radio program" like those back in the early times of radio history.

2) What's wrong with Platforming/Modern Combat? Do you think it will make AC a smaller fan base and "core fans" only? Just seems stupid. What does it matter who else play's it? Doesn't affect playing single player. Ubisoft is not going to tailor it to certain fans.

EDIT: Don't take this post for being rude. Don't mean for anyone to understand it like that.

Assassin_M
07-13-2013, 06:53 AM
Imagine it like ACRs MP. You'll get 3 or 4 cutscenes, but the rest is COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY OPTIONAL. Ashraf said it loud and clear it will be ALL optional.
but that`s just like EVERY AC game, except II...You can go through ALL of AC I without reading emails, nor listening to convos...you can go through ALL ACB without leaving the Animus except the intro with Desmond and the end at the Colosseum, you can go through ALL of ACR without doing the Desmond missions..etc

It was ALWAYS like this. Modern plot has a few vital points and that`s it...you can choose whether or not you want to do the meat...it was ALWAYS like this

ArabianFrost
07-13-2013, 07:00 AM
but that`s just like EVERY AC game, except II...You can go through ALL of AC I without reading emails, nor listening to convos...you can go through ALL ACB without leaving the Animus except the intro with Desmond and the end at the Colosseum, you can go through ALL of ACR without doing the Desmond missions..etc

It was ALWAYS like this. Modern plot has a few vital points and that`s it...you can choose whether or not you want to do the meat...it was ALWAYS like this

Except now you don't have a direct impact on the plot and the obligatory modern day segments probably won't have you interact at all with the world. Now they're just probably cutscenes. This is good more or less (it's good that they've brought back conspiracies and exploration, but I would have liked more effect on the modern arc), but I'm just against declaring the modern part some sort of "gift" from the devs when it is vital to how the plot converges.

Assassin_M
07-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Except now you don't have a direct impact on the plot and the obligatory modern day segments probably won't have you interact at all with the world. Now they're just probably cutscenes. This is good more or less (it's good that they've brought back conspiracies and exploration, but I would have liked more effect on the modern arc), but I'm just against declaring the modern part some sort of "gift" from the devs when it is vital to how the plot converges.
it`s the OPTIONAL parts that are being called a gift and EVERYTHING that`s optional in the modern plot never had a direct impact on the over all plot...it was just extra information....the whole modern segment is comprised of first person navigation..what OBLIGATORY interaction would make you satisfied?? like I said...this whole thing is false fuss and it was always like this

ArabianFrost
07-13-2013, 07:11 AM
it`s the OPTIONAL parts that are being called a gift and EVERYTHING that`s optional in the modern plot never had a direct impact on the over all plot...it was just extra information....the whole modern segment is comprised of first person navigation..what OBLIGATORY interaction would make you satisfied?? like I said...this whole thing is false fuss and it was always like this

My apologies for the misunderstanding. So they're basically rebranding optional stuff that was already in every AC game and calling it a "gift"? Well, if that's what it is, then I at least hope it's as expansive as they call it. They said the conspiracies and such will be even more than before, so I hope they stand true to their word.

Assassin_M
07-13-2013, 07:15 AM
My apologies for the misunderstanding. So they're basically rebranding optional stuff that was already in every AC game and calling it a "gift"? Well, if that's what it is, then I at least hope it's as expansive as they call it. They said the conspiracies and such will be even more than before, so I hope they stand true to their word.
man we don`t apologize to each ozer my brozer ok?

Seriously, i`m certain it`ll be expansive...we`re basically rediscovering Abstergo again, add to that Desmond and Erudito...i`m sure it`ll be interesting

ArabianFrost
07-13-2013, 07:26 AM
man we don`t apologize to each ozer my brozer ok?

Seriously, i`m certain it`ll be expansive...we`re basically rediscovering Abstergo again, add to that Desmond and Erudito...i`m sure it`ll be interesting

Awww shucks!

Despite the conflictions with the marketing, I am also interested. As always, we'll see how it goes.

Moultonborough
07-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Time will only tell what it is really like I guess. :(

ProletariatPleb
07-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Yay!

Sushiglutton
07-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Like that the modern day seems to be very different from the ancestor part. The lab-version in AC1 is the one that worked the best imo and I'm glad they are sort of bringing that back. I'm no big fan of modern day since AC:R, but I might come back to it if this new direction turns out well.

Moultonborough
07-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Like that the modern day seems to be very different from the ancestor part. The lab-version in AC1 is the one that worked the best imo and I'm glad they are sort of bringing that back. I'm no big fan of modern day since AC:R, but I might come back to it if this new direction turns out well.

Except that the Modern part in ACIV is First Person. Unlike AC1.

pacmanate
07-13-2013, 10:16 AM
It can`t be entirely optional...that`s bullocks..

Yeah wtf. To me, the Animus is used as a device to help the present. If the present is optional... wat?

shobhit7777777
07-13-2013, 10:49 AM
If it is entirely optional and skippable....then this game just made the 'Day One' buy list.

YES!

Sushiglutton
07-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Except that the Modern part in ACIV is First Person. Unlike AC1.

True, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Will make it even more distinct from the ancestor part.

lothario-da-be
07-13-2013, 11:18 AM
They better make the modern day part good this time, but i have no faith anymore in it afther ac3.

ProletariatPleb
07-13-2013, 11:21 AM
They better make the modern day part good this time, but i have no faith anymore in it afther ac3.
Exploring an Abstergo compound as an average guy with no climbing or combat skills. Depends on what you find good.

Assassin_M
07-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Exploring an Abstergo compound as an average guy with no climbing or combat skills. Depends on what you find good.
I take it you hated the Glyphs then?? because those were puzzles and the Modern portion will most likely be a puzzle genre

lothario-da-be
07-13-2013, 11:26 AM
If its interesting and has a good story its good for me. I don't mind it if it has no combat or free-running, i liked the modern day in ac1, the desmond missions in acr and the glyphs. So it could be interesting, if done well.

ProletariatPleb
07-13-2013, 11:27 AM
I take it you hated the Glyphs then?? because those were puzzles and the Modern portion will most likely be a puzzle genre
I never said what my opinion on the matter was. I'm saying it depends on what you're expecting from it. And yes the concept was nice but I didn't go around looking for glyphs and rifts if that's what you're asking.

Spider_Sith9
07-13-2013, 11:31 AM
I am sorely disappointed. The stakes were so high at the end of AC2. Why did they make it take a backseat and make a major story arc Expanded Universe. I mean The Desmond Files got me pumped for AC3 and now that the slate is clean without Desmond, this is what they do?

Assassin_M
07-13-2013, 11:34 AM
I never said what my opinion on the matter was. I'm saying it depends on what you're expecting from it. And yes the concept was nice but I didn't go around looking for glyphs and rifts if that's what you're asking.
Ah well, you need to devoid your posts from implications then

ProletariatPleb
07-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Ah well, you need to devoid your posts from implications then
http://i.minus.com/i1FnK6OLKimWw.jpg

You're the one that assumed....

ArabianFrost
07-13-2013, 11:37 AM
If its interesting and has a good story its good for me. I don't mind it if it has no combat or free-running, i liked the modern day in ac1, the desmond missions in acr and the glyphs. So it could be interesting, if done well.

Mr.Darby said they will expand upon the mystery and conspiracy guidelines of AC1, so it's basically more of the AC1 modern part in First person. If challenging enough, it can prove to be quite alluring for the fans, not only for the puzzles, but also for the exclusive info the hardcore exploration-oriented fans of the series would ldiscover and find rewarding. As Ashraf said, it's homage to the true fans (although I disagree with labelling it as such, but this is another story all together).

Assassin_M
07-13-2013, 11:44 AM

You're the one that assumed....
dog lover..btw, Skype is effed..

dxsxhxcx
07-13-2013, 11:58 AM
I don't know how some people can simple ignore the modern days, sure it could've been a lot better if ubisoft had treat it as an important part of the game since the beginning instead of make sure it was just the mean to an end but the modern days add meaning to the ancestor story, what's the point in relive the ancestor life if we won't acomplish anything by doing it... oh, look! Edward found a POE at the end of the game, that's cute, why the hell am I doing this again? When you see the whole picture IMO this makes the game much more enjoyable than just sit there and relive someone's memory without any (bigger) purpose...

SixKeys
07-13-2013, 01:15 PM
If the modern-day segments are basically conspiracies and puzzling minus the awkward platforming from the Desmond's Journey segments in ACR, I'm happy.

TheOnlyEzio
07-13-2013, 01:54 PM
There's no way the entire thing will be optional. He said we have to exit it a couple of times, just for the sake of the story. All the extra secrets and stuff are completely optional..

Ureh
07-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Two questions:

1) What do you mean radio program. I don't see the Modern part as a "radio program" like those back in the early times of radio history.

2) What's wrong with Platforming/Modern Combat? Do you think it will make AC a smaller fan base and "core fans" only? Just seems stupid. What does it matter who else play's it? Doesn't affect playing single player. Ubisoft is not going to tailor it to certain fans.

EDIT: Don't take this post for being rude. Don't mean for anyone to understand it like that.

Nah, no worries. I didn't interpret it as being rude.

1. I heard Darby say that there'll be a 45ish minute radio program you can listen to in the present day. Not every fan will want to sit there for 45 min listening to an in-game radio I think? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
2. Nope, what I meant was that combat and platforming always took a backseat in all the present day sequences in every game. For fans who really only enjoy combat and freerunning, now they won't have any incentive to play the present day sequences (since the AC4 modern day parts will be in 1st person right?). And since most of the present day stuff (in AC4) will be optional, they can just skip most of it to get back into the animus to play what they enjoy. It is kinda sad though, because this is segregating the players so that only those who enjoy the conspiracy stuff will really get to relish in the content. I think some people will be missing out because they see this as optional and decide to ignore it.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit. If not, let me know and I'll try to rectify it.

Tuuuu
07-13-2013, 03:08 PM
I think its sad that Ubisoft are going this way. They know that Animus stuff is what people want, so know they are going to make modern day optinal, which - for me - means that the main guy in the real world will be some random passive dude with no personality thats so boring that we wont even care for him. I liked Desmond a lot but i missed more gametime with him. When we had it, it was really excting, but now that hes gone, i fear that the AC games from now on, will focus only on Animus stuff because people want action and theres none in the real world.

Sushiglutton
07-13-2013, 04:45 PM
They know that Animus stuff is what people want, so know they are going to make modern day optinal, which - for me - means that the main guy in the real world will be some random passive dude with no personality thats so boring that we wont even care for him.

The modern day protagonist is you, the player....

OSantaClownO
07-13-2013, 04:45 PM
To be honest worried, starting from the moment Minerva directed to Desmond I realized how both the modern and history times complete each other, in a beautiful and intersting way.

GreySkellig
07-13-2013, 05:08 PM
A great deal of the modern storyline has always been optional. I didn't love the Animus Island stuff in AC:R, so now I'm skipping them on my second go-round. What has been suggested is that dedicated fans will want to play the modern sections. The sense in which it's a gift is that, for those fans who care enough to explore the modern segments, there will be serious rewards.

From the various articles I've been reading since announcement, the impression I get is that the modern-day story will be LOADED with plot details, puzzles, espionage, and goodies. There's been strong speculation that the oft-muttered about cameos (Connor?/Aveline?/Haytham?) may be accessed through the modern-day segment by using a different animus.

(By the way, IIRC, the radio thing is 45 minutes of radio snippets you can pick up (sort of like the "The Truth" video) not just a 45-minute broadcast. But I could be mistaken.

joey-4321_web
07-13-2013, 07:49 PM
I don't care of its optional i still experiencing ALL OF IT.. I love the modern story

THE_JOKE_KING33
07-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Never really cared for it anyway TBH, so I guess I'll hop out after every sequence to do stuff just so that I'm not lost in the inevitable modern-day cliffhanger.

TheHumanTowel
07-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Isn't it strange how people who like the modern day are more attractive and successful than people who don't?

lothario-da-be
07-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Isn't it strange how people who like the modern day are more attractive and successful than people who don't?
That is totaly not strange because those people are the people who are more open minded and want more then just killing in their games. :p

Tuuuu
07-13-2013, 09:28 PM
The modern day protagonist is you, the player....

Lol no its not. Then the main guy in animus could easlily be us, the player. Dont see your logic

My point is also that why do we have a real world with a real story line, if its - apparently - not important at all?

Spider_Sith9
07-13-2013, 11:28 PM
I think its sad that Ubisoft are going this way. They know that Animus stuff is what people want, so know they are going to make modern day optinal, which - for me - means that the main guy in the real world will be some random passive dude with no personality thats so boring that we wont even care for him. I liked Desmond a lot but i missed more gametime with him. When we had it, it was really excting, but now that hes gone, i fear that the AC games from now on, will focus only on Animus stuff because people want action and theres none in the real world. Finally, people will say you are boring and not Connor :P

Anyway, why would they do this? I loved Lucy! Now... things have changed.

monster_rambo
07-14-2013, 12:07 AM
As soon as you make something optional or try to reveal as little as possible, you know is going to be bad because they know people are not going to like it but they include it anyway for the sake of it. Same goes for modern day Desmond and ACR Desmond's journey and probably the underwater missions and hunting that they seem to be trying to avoid at this moment. And why include it in the game if you think people are not going to like it? I see Assassin's Creed is moving further and further away into a pirate simulator and its digging his own hole at the moment. Well, at least is optional and thank god for that, don't want touch modern story ever again.

merlynthehealer
07-14-2013, 12:28 AM
Lol no its not. Then the main guy in animus could easlily be us, the player. Dont see your logic

My point is also that why do we have a real world with a real story line, if its - apparently - not important at all?

The modern day person, is indeed you. Ash has said this on multiple occasions Hence why it is in a first person point of view.

Because its part of the overall plot. Part of the plot which has been stated is You (the player/ protagonist) learn what Abstergo are really after. Through playing as Edward. That is why they are making it in whatever amount optional. For those who want a more in depth experience, as well as for those who just want to spend time in the Animus.

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 12:32 AM
That is totaly not strange because those people are the people who are more open minded and want more then just killing in their games. :p
Oh no, let's not stab people in a game about stabbing...instead let's herd pigs and not look at how boring, generic and cliche the modern day characters and storylines are, let's not have quality standards at all. Let's not even have an assassin's story, just put a random dude who does nothing but do as commanded... which is sitting in a machine so that we can see the actually interesting story, timeline, characters, cities, environments, music and so on, innit?

Let's just all pretend how the modern day narrative is deep and meaningful and how Deadmond is by far the most interesting character ever created in the history of videogames and how AC would be nothing without him and the end of the world plot.

/rant

Ureh
07-14-2013, 12:44 AM
@monster_rambo So far I didn't dislike any of the things you mentioned.

TheHumanTowel
07-14-2013, 01:15 AM
Oh no, let's not stab people in a game about stabbing...instead let's herd pigs and not look at how boring, generic and cliche the modern day characters and storylines are, let's not have quality standards at all. Let's not even have an assassin's story, just put a random dude who does nothing but do as commanded... which is sitting in a machine so that we can see the actually interesting story, timeline, characters, cities, environments, music and so on, innit?

Let's just all pretend how the modern day narrative is deep and meaningful and how Deadmond is by far the most interesting character ever created in the history of videogames and how AC would be nothing without him and the end of the world plot.

/rant
i'm sorry I don't converse with not beautiful and successful people.

Spider_Sith9
07-14-2013, 01:45 AM

/rant
It's Ubisoft's fault for not making the Modern Day important and making Desmond important. And it's their fault for making the modern day this boring piece of shtako.

Calvarok
07-14-2013, 05:51 AM
Modern day has always had a different tone to it, more about the mystery and darkness of the world than action and assassinations. I quite enjoyed Desmond's story, even in AC3, though I would have liked just one more stealth mission with him. I never found it dull or generic. But I am so psyched about Black Flag's modern story. I loved glyphs and I loved hacking into abstergo, so it's right up my alley. I only hope that in some future game we get to actually stab Juno in the heart.

But for now, the incessant whining about being forced to participate in modern story stuff will stop, since people can mostly ignore it, except probably at the beginning and end of the game. And less whining on this board is always a good thing.

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 09:18 AM
It's Ubisoft's fault for not making the Modern Day important and making Desmond important. And it's their fault for making the modern day this boring piece of shtako.
Mhmm

Modern day has always had a different tone to it, more about the mystery and darkness of the world than action and assassinations. I quite enjoyed Desmond's story, even in AC3, though I would have liked just one more stealth mission with him. I never found it dull or generic. But I am so psyched about Black Flag's modern story. I loved glyphs and I loved hacking into abstergo, so it's right up my alley. I only hope that in some future game we get to actually stab Juno in the heart.

But for now, the incessant whining about being forced to participate in modern story stuff will stop, since people can mostly ignore it, except probably at the beginning and end of the game. And less whining on this board is always a good thing.
Holy mother of ginger monkeys, Calvarok lives?!?!

ladyleonhart
07-14-2013, 11:48 AM

Me too! xD I wasn't sure about Desmond at first, but you kind of get used to him, and I liked him much better in ACIII. Then I thought his ending was really sad. ^^'

As for the modern day stuff being optional, it is most definitely due to all the hate for Desmond and the complaints that the modern day part was boring and pointless. Like Calvarok said, if you don't like it you can just ignore it. Then, if you liked the modern stuff and you want to find out more, then there's plenty of content. So I guess they're trying to find a balance and cater to everyone.

Also, this extract sums it up:

ďThe idea is that itís you [exploring Edward Kenway's life in the present day],Ē AC4 director Ashraf Ismail tells Digital Trends. ďItís played in first-person. You donít have an avatar, per se. So you are walking around in this office, itís a mini-open world. Thereís a lot to do with it. In the main path we donít go to it too many times, we only go to it a few times. But for the true fans who love that kind of stuff, there is a huge load of content in this world thatís there to kind of give homage to our fans, develop the lore even further.Ē

ďItís all optional, so if you want to put the time into it, itís there for you [and] if you donít really care, itís okay. You donít have to. Thereís tons of videos, tons of images to find, you get to see what happened to Desmond after AC3. A lot of stuff for our fans. We actually looked at it as fan service.Ē

Source: Rosenberg, Adam (2013) ĎAssassinís Creed IVí offers first person ďfan serviceĒ and introduces white whale sharing', Digital Trends, published 12 July 2013.
Link: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/assassins-creed-iv-offers-first-person-fan-service-and-white-whale-sharing/

Legendz54
07-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Even if it is optional I will be exploring all of it, Yea I had high hopes for modern day and expected great epic things from Desmond... Now hearing about this optional stuff doesn't sound too good.

pacmanate
07-14-2013, 12:00 PM
“The idea is that it’s you [exploring Edward Kenway's life in the present day],” AC4 director Ashraf Ismail tells Digital Trends. “It’s played in first-person. You don’t have an avatar, per se. So you are walking around in this office, it’s a mini-open world. There’s a lot to do with it. In the main path we don’t go to it too many times, we only go to it a few times. But for the true fans who love that kind of stuff, there is a huge load of content in this world that’s there to kind of give homage to our fans, develop the lore even further.”

GOT dat RIGHT

kriegerdesgottes
07-14-2013, 12:02 PM
I've never been a huge fan of Desmond or the modern day part but they did add interest to the games and were a pretty awesome plot device. I don't like the way they are handling it at all in this game. How can I connect to a character who isn't really a character. It's just me as the player at Abstergo. No thanks. Desmond added interest and mystery to the story and made you wonder how the story would end for him (badly as it turns out). He was also interesting because of his lineage so you wondered what his potential would be. Now all of that is gone. I just can not get myself to be interested in this game. I'm considering canceling my pre order and just putting the money towards Arkham Origins.

Legendz54
07-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Hopefully they go for a new playable modern day character in the next game..

ACfan443
07-14-2013, 12:17 PM

/rant

Maybe if people didn't b**** and whine at the modern day sections before the devs even had a chance to make a sequel, then maybe they would have been motivated to follow their initial creative vision, and put the time and resources into fleshing it out, expanding the plot, developing the characters and making it an overall cohesive, quality component of the series. Instead they quickly became demotivated and tried to appease the critics by dumbing it down as much as possible, and shifting it to the bottom of their list of priorities. It's like proposing an idea and being cut off midway without the opportunity to explain everything.

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 12:24 PM
before the devs even had a chance to make a sequel
When are you talking about?

ACfan443
07-14-2013, 01:05 PM
When are you talking about?

Before AC2, that's when the complaints started. And I should have mentioned AC2 as well - since it spiralled downwards from there. Also don't feel I was directing that at you, I was talking about the modern day hating bandwagoners in general

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Before AC2, that's when the complaints started. And I should have mentioned AC2 as well - since it spiralled downwards from there. Also don't feel I was directing that at you, I was talking about the modern day hating bandwagoners in general
Ah, right...

Well I don't know, if anything AC2 expanded quite a lot on Modern Day compared to 1, Brotherhood is where I lost interest completely in it.

ACfan443
07-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Ah, right...

Well I don't know, if anything AC2 expanded quite a lot on Modern Day compared to 1, Brotherhood is where I lost interest completely in it.

Apologies once again for not being clear (and bad wording) I thought the modern day in AC2 was a great, I meant it went downwards after that. And my interest also kinda dwindled ACB onwards ( mainly after brotherhood), there were more questions and fewer answers, and they still didn't do anything with Desmond. Clusters and the ending kept me hooked though.

pacmanate
07-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Apologies once again for not being clear (and bad wording) I thought the modern day in AC2 was a great, I meant it went downwards after that. And my interest also kinda dwindled ACB onwards ( mainly after brotherhood), there were more questions and fewer answers, and they still didn't do anything with Desmond. Clusters and the ending kept me hooked though.

I honestly think people hate Desmond because he wasnt utilised properly

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 02:01 PM
I honestly think people hate Desmond because he wasnt utilised properly
That's...what he said as well.

pacmanate
07-14-2013, 02:35 PM
That's...what he said as well.

Yeah you know I cant read

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Yeah you know I cant read
Are you still mad about beanie jokes?

ACfan443
07-14-2013, 03:03 PM
So with the new modern day being 'optional' (to whatever extent), how on earth are they going to follow up on that big *** cliffhanger at the end of AC3? Surely something as big as that needs a fully dedicated narrative..

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 03:17 PM
So with the new modern day being 'optional' (to whatever extent), how on earth are they going to follow up on that big *** cliffhanger at the end of AC3? Surely something as big as that needs a fully dedicated narrative..
Well that dedicated narrative is the optional modern day story, those who want to know more about it can play it..those who don't( like me) can skip it.

Tuuuu
07-14-2013, 03:27 PM
The modern day person, is indeed you. Ash has said this on multiple occasions Hence why it is in a first person point of view.

Because its part of the overall plot. Part of the plot which has been stated is You (the player/ protagonist) learn what Abstergo are really after. Through playing as Edward. That is why they are making it in whatever amount optional. For those who want a more in depth experience, as well as for those who just want to spend time in the Animus.

Just because a game is in first person, dosnt mean its you.

TheHumanTowel
07-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Completely skipping the modern day won't be possible. It'll just be like AC1 where you didn't have to read the e-mails or talk with Lucy but you can and there's plot points you have to experience. Hopefully anyway. I've never understood people treating the modern day like a side-story because the historical story always only exists to serve it. The entire point of AC2 is finding the Vault so Desmond can hear the message. The entire point of ACB is finding the location of the apple in the coliseum. The entire point of AC3 is finding the location of the key. Maybe people should stop treating them as completely separate things and realise they're both just parts of the one story.

ACfan443
07-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Well that dedicated narrative is the optional modern day story, those who want to know more about it can play it..those who don't( like me) can skip it.

Hmm, I'll be kinda ok with it as long as it's not half arsed. First person perspective still sounds off putting though.

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
I've never understood people treating the modern day like a side-story because the historical story always only exists to serve it.
It's called a plot device and people treating it like a side story is because it's a bad plot device. The plot device can very easily be changed to something else and that wouldn't affect the whole story.

Maybe people should stop treating them as completely separate things and realise they're both just parts of the one story.
But that part is ****ty and barely has any gameplay or things to do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So it's been made optional, I really don't see why that's a bad thing?

Tuuuu
07-14-2013, 03:38 PM

But why the hell do you want to skip it? Its things like the Modern Day story that makes Assassins Creed Games so interesting. Without it, Assassins Creed just become another boring game about stabbing people
I cant believe that Ubisoft is sinking so low with this game

Ureh
07-14-2013, 03:40 PM
@ACfan443 I think the main story pertaining to Juno (and probably how to defeat her) will likely be part of the main campaign so for those who don't want to investigate the side stuff, they don't have to. As to how much they're going to focus on the Juno plot in the main campaign and whether or not the present day stuff will take the backseat again... idk dude.

dxsxhxcx
07-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Maybe people should stop treating them as completely separate things and realise they're both just parts of the one story.

this IMO serves to Ubisoft as well... I think a lot more could've been done in ACB/R/3 to make the modern day sequences more enjoyable...

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 03:42 PM
But why the hell do you want to skip it? Its things like the Modern Day story that makes Assassins Creed Games so interesting. Without it, Assassins Creed just become another boring game about stabbing people
I cant believe that Ubisoft is sinking so low with this game
Boring game about stabbing people vs boring game about about roaming around in 1st person solving puzzles...

I'll take the first option.

EDIT:

Really agree with this bit, modern day is what captured my interest. It stimulates thought and discussion in ways most other games can't. After finishing the games, there was nothing I liked more than reading speculative youtube comments or stalking the forums for answers

I guess this makes sense. I just don't want half arsedness :/
And this, so far it's been nothing but half arsed boring cluster****. I love sci-fi but not bad scifi.

Payoff being utter ****...like "The sun, your sun" turning out to be the ramblings of a mad man and things like that is why I would prefer to skip the boring part.

ACfan443
07-14-2013, 03:42 PM
But why the hell do you want to skip it? Its things like the Modern Day story that makes Assassins Creed Games so interesting.

Really agree with this bit, modern day is what captured my interest. It stimulates thought and discussion in ways most other games can't. After finishing the games, there was nothing I liked more than reading speculative youtube comments or stalking the forums for answers

@ACfan443 I think the main story pertaining to Juno (and probably how to defeat her) will likely be part of the main campaign so for those who don't want to investigate the side stuff, they don't have to. As to how much they're going to focus on the Juno plot in the main campaign and whether or not the present day stuff will take the backseat again... idk dude.

I guess this makes sense. I just don't want half arsedness :/

Tuuuu
07-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Boring game about stabbing people vs boring game about about roaming around in 1st person solving puzzles...

I'll take the first option.

Lol that was just one way to approach it. We had some good game time with Desmond in AC3 and Revelations that took us into the modern day to find clues. This was really interesting and i cant believe why Ubisoft dosnt do more of this.
I dont understand why Ubisoft go ahead and make a game that presents an important modern day story to the player and then, 5 games after, decides to make a 6th game and suddenly be all like "Modern day matter? Nooooope"

TheHumanTowel
07-14-2013, 03:48 PM
It's called a plot device and people treating it like a side story is because it's a bad plot device. The plot device can very easily be changed to something else and that wouldn't affect the whole story.
How could removing the modern day and the animus not change the overall story? The overall story IS the modern day. It's the connection between the games and the time periods. It's not just a random plot device it's the fundamental premise of the entire series.

But that part is ****ty and barely has any gameplay or things to do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So it's been made optional, I really don't see why that's a bad thing?
You see the modern day used to have a thing called subtlety. There weren't any explosions or running around but it was the most interesting part of the game for me because of the mystery and atmosphere surrounding it.

It's bad because that means the modern day is once again being shafted and having it's importance reduced despite it's place as the backbone of the series' premise and narrative. It's attitudes like yours that caused Ubi to never address the most interesting modern day stuff like S16's message in ACB.

dxsxhxcx
07-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Payoff being utter ****...like "The sun, your sun" turning out to be the ramblings of a mad man and things like that is why I would prefer to skip the boring part.

with this I can agree, if Ubisoft want to put things in the game to use in the future, at least make it in a subtle way instead of throw it at our face and just say after years speculating about it that what we heard doesn't mean anything or isn't important for the current plot

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 03:54 PM
How could removing the modern day and the animus not change the overall story? The overall story IS the modern day. It's the connection between the games and the time periods. It's not just a random plot device it's the fundamental premise of the entire series.
I said WHOLE story, not overall story, meaning they only would need to change a few things and not everything.

You see the modern day used to have a thing called subtlety. There weren't any explosions or running around but it was the most interesting part of the game for me because of the mystery and atmosphere surrounding it.

It's bad because that means the modern day is once again being shafted and having it's importance reduced despite it's place as the backbone of the series' premise and narrative. It's attitudes like yours that caused Ubi to never address the most interesting modern day stuff like S16's message in ACB.
All I see is wasted potential where they could create brilliant sci-fi storyline but instead it was gimmicky BS. And please don't pin **** like this on me never before did I ever complained about the modern day being useless plot device even tho it was, I never particularly cared about that because the real GAME parts were decent enough. Not denying it had some interesting parts but that was overshadowed by how half arsed it was.

TheHumanTowel
07-14-2013, 03:57 PM
I said WHOLE story, not overall story, meaning they only would need to change a few things and not everything.

I don't understand the difference. What is the whole story?

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't understand the difference. What is the whole story?
It was confusion between you and me obviously, are we talking game by game basis or the whole series here?

TheHumanTowel
07-14-2013, 04:01 PM
It was confusion between you and me obviously, are we talking game by game basis or the whole series here?
I mean like the whole series. The modern day's still got pretty big plot threads dangling so just getting rid of it at this point wouldn't seem like a good move to me.

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 04:06 PM
I mean like the whole series. The modern day's still got pretty big plot threads dangling so just getting rid of it at this point wouldn't seem like a good move to me.
They aren't getting 'rid' of it, there will be parts which have to me done(for obvious reasons) but if you wanna dig deeper you'll have to work...think AC1.

And I was saying that they didn't need to have a end of the world story with Randomond's oblivious personality...it was like, the plot tried too hard but Desmond's 'character' just didn't fit with the events and 'saviour of the world' stuff.

TheHumanTowel
07-14-2013, 04:08 PM
They aren't getting 'rid' of it, there will be parts which have to me done(for obvious reasons) but if you wanna dig deeper you'll have to work...think AC1.

And I was saying that they didn't need to have a end of the world story with Randomond's oblivious personality...it was like, the plot tried too hard but Desmond's 'character' just didn't fit with the events and 'saviour of the world' stuff.
I thought you were suggesting getting rid of it not talking about Ubisoft

ProletariatPleb
07-14-2013, 04:11 PM
I thought you were suggesting getting rid of it not talking about Ubisoft
Lol no, I was saying that AC could very well be done without the modern day at all as well(when it was not a series but an idea), but not suggesting they do it now. What I'm saying is I think the idea of making it optional is good because I for one don't find the payoff for all that to be good or even okayish but some like it so they can enjoy it and I won't be forced through it.

ctuagent15
07-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Just because a game is in first person, dosnt mean its you.
You are the modern day person, the devs have told us this already.
Watch this interview with the lead writer and skip to the 9:40 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTXMrZC_ZRg

Tuuuu
07-14-2013, 04:27 PM
You are the modern day person, the devs have told us this already.
Watch this interview with the lead writer and skip to the 9:40 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTXMrZC_ZRg

Even so its a very lazy way of saying that the modern day story is now optional

Spider_Sith9
07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
I think they missed a huge opportunity with no Templar Agents in AC3 to fight. I hope ACV gives us more locations to explore instead of a damn lab.

Ureh
07-15-2013, 11:50 PM
I think they missed a huge opportunity with no Templar Agents in AC3 to fight. I hope ACV gives us more locations to explore instead of a damn lab.

Templar Agents as in the multiplayer personas? or modern abstergo agents trained in the animus? Cause I was wondering where the latter went when they were building up to that part in ACB.

Spider_Sith9
07-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Templar Agents as in the multiplayer personas? or modern abstergo agents trained in the animus? Cause I was wondering where the latter went when they were building up to that part in ACB.

Modern Agents trained in the animus.