PDA

View Full Version : End game question (Spoilers)

Jack-Reacher
07-03-2013, 11:29 AM
How exactly was the solar flare stopped? I have beaten the game I guess I sorta zoned out or something when it happened.

Detail would be appreciated.

andreycvetov
07-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Thats a nice question!

roostersrule2
07-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Nicholas Cage flew in and took down the sun.

LoyalACFan
07-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Juno found some way to stop it that was magically triggered by Desmond touching that blue orb thingy.

Yeah, it was really out of the blue.

TheHumanTowel
07-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Juno did something that wasn't explained that she could only do if she was released for some reason. Also Desmond had to die for her to do it as well. For some reason.

I hope this answered your question.

Ureh
07-03-2013, 01:53 PM
How do we know he died for sure? Juno mentioned something about electrical impulses capable of being stored in something that could contain it. Maybe his was merely transferred? :P

Jack-Reacher
07-03-2013, 01:58 PM
...I would have thought this topic would have been done to death by now? It is the largest plotline of the series, something we have been waiting for and puzzling about since the end of AC2. The huge cliffhanger about the satellite launch at the end of AC1 that kept us speculating for years was replaced by this, and no one really seems to care that it was resolved this way? Is no one else outraged by this?!?!! See this is why the whole yearly release thing is a bad thing, no one really cares or thinks about the ending anymore because the next game is just around the corner to answer your questions. Im a little disappointed the community doesn't really have a solid answer for this...

LoyalACFan
07-03-2013, 02:03 PM
How do we know he died for sure? Juno mentioned something about electrical impulses capable of being stored in something that could contain it. Maybe his was merely transferred? :P

I hope like hell he's actually dead. Much as I hated that rushed crap ending, the one positive aspect is that the whiny meatsack of mediocrity that was Desmond will never again taint an AC game. The best scene in AC III was when William punched him out like the useless little ****** he was.

LoyalACFan
07-03-2013, 02:06 PM
...I would have thought this topic would have been done to death by now? It is the largest plotline of the series, something we have been waiting for and puzzling about since the end of AC2. The huge cliffhanger about the satellite launch at the end of AC1 that kept us speculating for years was replaced by this, and no one really seems to care that it was resolved this way? Is no one else outraged by this?!?!! See this is why the whole yearly release thing is a bad thing, no one really cares or thinks about the ending anymore because the next game is just around the corner to answer your questions. Im a little disappointed the community doesn't really have a solid answer for this...

There are several fan theories about what happened, but nobody really knows. And now that he's dead, nobody cares. I, for one, don't give a crap about the modern story anymore.

Jack-Reacher
07-03-2013, 02:08 PM
I felt his death was just a huge distraction for us so we wouldn't notice that the whole solar flare solution made no sense at all. Its like oh but its ok because his sacrifice balances everything out. No it doesn't, in fact it is utterly meaningless if they don't really say why. Before we go to through that massive gate TWCB rant on and on about how they can't stop the solar flare even with all their technology, yet they contradict themselves and provide Desmond with the technology to stop it. It really just doesn't make any sense. Why has there been no outrage about it? Instead its omg Connor is really such a great guy when you get to know him or some trivial crap like that.

Jack-Reacher
07-03-2013, 02:10 PM
There are several fan theories about what happened, but nobody really knows. And now that he's dead, nobody cares. I, for one, don't give a crap about the modern story anymore.

Right, I don't care either tbh. But the reason I don't care is because of stuff like this. I do care about the fact that nobody cares about it. I guess a part of me still feels cheated from the AC1 cliffhanger. I was generally really excited for AC2 to see what would happen to Desmond and more importantly, how they would stop the satellite launch. But they ditched it entirely, every massive WTF cliffhanger at the end of each game has been dealt with so poorly... series has gone to **** /rant.

Ureh
07-03-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm with you guys. So much potential lost. I wonder if it would've played out differently (ie for the better) if it remained a trilogy. :)

AvK KiNgKoBrA
07-03-2013, 03:06 PM
I've given up on following the modern story, ubi has created such a large pool of crap even they cant find there way to the bottom

LoyalACFan
07-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Right, I don't care either tbh. But the reason I don't care is because of stuff like this. I do care about the fact that nobody cares about it. I guess a part of me still feels cheated from the AC1 cliffhanger. I was generally really excited for AC2 to see what would happen to Desmond and more importantly, how they would stop the satellite launch. But they ditched it entirely, every massive WTF cliffhanger at the end of each game has been dealt with so poorly... series has gone to **** /rant.

Well, they waved it away in Desmond's random flashback to Brotherhood's finale. "Juno showed me the launch, and lulz, it failed anyway, problem solved. Oh, PS, Lucy was a traitor." Then after Vidic died, Shaun emailed you and said "well, Abstergo is in disarray, launch postponed indefinitely." Whatever. Hopefully the modern stuff is optional this time, because I have no interest in it anymore. Unless they make puzzles like S16's glyphs. Then I'd play it.

pacmanate
07-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Ive been having this discussion with people too, it makes no sense.

How can one person who is imprisoned save the world? When all of TWCB couldn't do it?

TheHumanTowel
07-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Why are you disappointed we don't have a solid answer? Ubi didn't give us a solid answer. We can't make something up that isn't there.

AherasSTRG
07-03-2013, 03:16 PM
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/133/7/b/desmonds_body_being_removed_by_abstergo_employees_ by_assaixfedajini-d6552n1.jpg

Happy theory crafting :) .

Sushiglutton
07-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Juno did something that wasn't explained that she could only do if she was released for some reason. Also Desmond had to die for her to do it as well. For some reason.

I hope this answered your question.

Had he not done it Desmond would have become a longbearded Moses like figure for some reason. Yeah, the ending was deep like that.

Bastiaen
07-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Juno had in place a means of stopping the flare. IMO, it was the series of towers that Juno mentions as the first of the six, that continued to be built after the first civ was gone. Basically, she held the salvation of the world hostage in order to free her conciousness from the prison of the grand temple.

LoyalACFan
07-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Juno had in place a means of stopping the flare. IMO, it was the series of towers that Juno mentions as the first of the six, that continued to be built after the first civ was gone. Basically, she held the salvation of the world hostage in order to free her conciousness from the prison of the grand temple.

Well... where the hell is the tower? And how was she able to control it?

Jack-Reacher
07-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Yeah what wtf was up with the whole Desmond becoming an icon thing? They sorta just chucked it in there and everyone was just like.... k.

ladyleonhart
07-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Hi everyone :)

I just found this article which may be of interest. The weird thing is it was apparently written 1 or 2 days after AC3 was released, depending on which part of the world you are in.

Anyway, it's got the AC3 ending, and discusses what the ending meant. However, because it was written last year, it also talks about what the new AC might be as no one knew about ACIV: Black Flag at the time of course.

Anyway, here's the link:

Kelly, Andy' (2012) 'Assassin's Creed 3 ending analysis: What does it all mean?' CVG UK, Posted 1 Nov 2012.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/375948/assassins-creed-3-ending-explained-what-does-it-all-mean/
(http://www.computerandvideogames.com/375948/assassins-creed-3-ending-explained-what-does-it-all-mean/)
By the way, I sort of skim read it, and it's late, so I'm not sure how much sense it actually makes. So, sorry if it makes everyone more confused. ^_~

Jack-Reacher
07-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the link, what was with the part where it said will Vidic and the Templars join them? Vidic Dead. He dead gone long and gone. Anywho I get the whole idea that Juno stopped the solar flare, im just wondering... how? Will they actually explain it? Also the whole thing about Juno manipulating people to free her... this is looking very much like LOST...

ladyleonhart
07-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the link, what was with the part where it said will Vidic and the Templars join them? Vidic Dead. He dead gone long and gone. Anywho I get the whole idea that Juno stopped the solar flare, im just wondering... how? Will they actually explain it? Also the whole thing about Juno manipulating people to free her... this is looking very much like LOST...

That's okay :) You're welcome.

About him referring to Vidic, I think he must have got confused too... o_0; I'm not sure they'll explain how she stopped the solar flare, unless it is important to story ^^ They'll have to explain the point of Juno and what she's trying to do eventually though. Then it shouldn't be the last we see of Juno. Otherwise, it doesn't really make any sense at all... Surely, in future AC instalments they're supposed to give us more insight...

By the way... I found another one. This time it focuses on Juno. Or so the title says:

Phillips, Tom (2012) 'Assassin's Creed 3 ending analysis: Juno what it all means?' Eurogamer.net, Posted 8 November 2012.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-08-assassins-creed-3-ending-analysis

Is it any better at explaining...? ^^

When I saw the ending, I took away 3 things from it:

1. The Solar flare was stopped.
2. Desmond is gone.
3. Juno is a now a bigger problem.

Then, I don't think it was as clear as it should have been. I guess they want us to keep guessing, and maybe they think the less we know the more interested we'll be in the next game. Then, I just hope they will give us some more answers in AC4. Also, although Edward's story is going further back, the modern part will be in the present and after the Solar flare etc., so they can't really ignore it. ^_~

Jexx21
07-04-2013, 03:59 AM
I hope like hell he's actually dead. Much as I hated that rushed crap ending, the one positive aspect is that the whiny meatsack of mediocrity that was Desmond will never again taint an AC game. The best scene in AC III was when William punched him out like the useless little ****** he was.

Well, he's still alive in the Animus. That's what I got from ACR anyway when we were somehow able to go back to Animus Island as Desmond.

Jexx21
07-04-2013, 04:04 AM

Something had to cause that world wide Aurora Borealis, wouldn't be surprised if Juno was able to continue work and find something that actually worked.

Jack-Reacher
07-04-2013, 04:31 AM
Thing is im not buying any more future AC games, I simply don't have the cash to shell out on something like this every year simply to keep with slight gameplay changes and a never ending story that fails to live up to its own expectations. There is simply too many other better games coming out like MGS5, BF4, GTA V etc etc.

TheOnlyEzio
07-04-2013, 06:13 AM
Juno had 75,000 years to figure out how to do it, does it really matter how she did it? Everything she mentioned was just a way to manipulate desmond into reaching the temple. The ending just showed that everything desmond did, was just juno's plan to be released.

Jack-Reacher
07-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Yeah it matters, and more importantly they should have told us how she did it. Throughout the series we are led to believe that TWCB were powerless to stop the solar flare, and we are left in anticipation speculating how they are going to stop something so big. Then they just click there fingers and say Juno did it... its just childish.

Ureh
07-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Did they ever explain why she chose to imprison herself and wait so long to exact revenge? And if it was so bleak to begin with then why did Minerva tell Desmond to go to the Grand temple? Even if Juno didn't tamper with the tech there the Assassins simply don't have the time or means to continue their work.

What happened to the full-on assault of Templar agents (who received training from the animus' bleeding effect)? Where's the Assassin meeting place with the espresso machine?! Ahhhhhh!!

AherasSTRG
07-04-2013, 09:35 AM
The WHOLE ending is explained IN THE GAME, apart from the part of why did Desmond's sacrifice (?) results to Juno's incarnation.
The ending IN THE GAME is as follows:
Juno seemed to be something like a top scientist during the last days of The Ones Who Came Before. She too, along with other scientists, worked in reasearch centers similar to the Grand Temple. These teams tried several things to find potential ways of escaping the imminent destruction.
--- First, they tried to build 4 towers in the location of the Grand Temple that would amass the sun's energy and consume it. But to do that, they needed time (thousands of years). So, they seeked to automate the preccess, build machines that could keep working on the pillars, even after their extinction.
--- Secondly (and most importantly), they tried to create a barrier field around earth that would block the solar flare. However, they abandoned the idea, because of the lack of energy.
--- The discoveries they had made so far resulted in the remarkable discovery of the Eye. The Eye was a program, that acted like a massive simulation of the future events. Through the Eye, Minerva was able to see the future if they wouldn't survive and prepare messages for the human civilisation.
--- Then, they tried to merge themselves with machines, but that resulted in seriously traumatizing experiences. Atia, Juno's husband, participated in such experiments and she had to kill him to free him of his psychological and intellectual burden.
--- The final effort they pushed themselves to came as a result of the interpretation of their own nature. Consiousness is nothing but a series of electrical impulses throughout the body and mostly the brain. The body itself is but a vessel for the transportation of those impulses, like cables in an electrical circuit. What if they created a design / an electrical circuit / a structure, something capable of withholding the consiousness impulses of an individual for as long as they are contained in the design? Juno says that the other scientists abandoned it, because to free the individual's mind, something wrong was required. But she did not agree with that. The hostility in her tone implies that she came in serious controversy with her partners. It is possible that she stopped working with them, focusing on her own solutions.
In fact, Juno was a scientist involved with all the above projects. Now, if you look closely at the underlined points of each solution they tried, you will see that one part from each solution creates a generic solution that could potentially save the human civilisation. Juno managed to do exactly that:
--- Automating the proccess of the construction of the pillars would make them ready by the time the destruction happens again (solution 1 relative).
--- The pillar(s) would amass the energy of the sun (solution 1 relative) and provide it to create the field barrier around earth (solution 2 relative).
--- Meanwhile, Juno stored her consiousness within the Temple (final solution relative).
--- However, among the centuries, through the Eye, Minerva and Juno would speak to the ancestors of Desmond and direct him to the Grand Temple (solution 3 relative). Minerva did so, because she did not know the fact that Juno had already perfected the solution and wanted to give the human civilisation a chance of survival. Juno did so to help Desmond find his way to the Grand Temple, so that he can free her.
But the question remains: How was she freed and more importantly, why Desmond? The answer to this question is given during the last scene of Desmond's life and involves only a little of theorycrafting. Here goes:
Before Desmond touches the pedestal, Minerva shows up and tells him not to. Minerva too had stored herself inside the Temple, so that she can see later in the future, what will happen to the human civilisation. Juno did not know that however and therefore she is surprised, as she thought she had destroyed the device that enables one to store their consiousness in a design. But there were more devices than one.
Anyway, she tried to convince Desmond not to save the world, because that way, Juno would be freed. What's Juno's plan? Minerva says: "Divination (predicting the future) through numbers. There is a pattern to existence. Understanding the [math] (I do not remember the exact word : / ) can allow one to predict the future". That conclusion led to the creation of the Eye mentioned above.
Juno mastered the nature of the Eye and predicted the birth and life, as well as the ancestry of Desmond Miles, as well the genes he would have. In a previous game (I think it was Revelations), Desmond's father, William in a conversation with Shaun says exactly:
Shaun: "What is he... is he the chosen one, is that it? Little Jimmy Special or some bollocks like that?"
William: "I'm afraid not. But what he has is rare. His genes contain high concentrations of First Civilization DNA. Only about one in ten million are so lucky."
So, we got a guy with genetic material REALLY REALLY REALLY similar to the genetic material of The Ones Who Came Before and associated with a secret ancient adventurous sect of idealists, a guy perfectly suitable for a treasure hunt through time so that he can be led to the Temple at some point before 21/12/12 or 12/21/12 in US if you prefer)! ! ! ! ! NOW, remember when Juno said that, for someone to free their consiousness, "something wrong" was required. That wrong was that another One Who Came Before HAD TO ****ING VOLUNTARILY GIVE HIS LIFE / BODY for the incarnation to happen. If it wasn't for One Who Came Before, someone with similar genetic material could do. Desmond's genetic material, which was really close to the genetic material of The Ones Who Came Before, did the job perfectly well and we got Juno's incarnation.
I would say more, but I got bored of typing...

Jack-Reacher
07-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Nice, now that was the response I was looking for. I read most of it, thanks for that. I have been considering replaying the game so I might even check up on it myself, as I failed to check a lot of the emails on my first playthrough.

Jexx21
07-04-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm curious as to why the solar flares cause the earth to "open up" and cause massive amounts of destruction. When I first heard about it, I thought: "...that sounds like the Earth was pre-programmed to destroy it's previous life whenever this event happened in a cycle that would continue every 70,000 = 100,000 years or so."

Reminds me of the Reapers in Mass Effect... doesn't help that when earth gets destroyed the world looks eerily similar to how the Earth looks when Reapers are attacking it.

Ureh
07-04-2013, 02:16 PM
@Aheradrim But wasn't Juno adamant that none of them worked except the one where she stored her electricity in the temple? Iirc, she said automating the construction of the towers didn't work and the tower didn't function either. How could one tower do the work that was meant for four?
And that still doesn't explain why Minerva sent Desmond to the Temple if she knew he wouldn't have enough time to fix it. Like you said, Minerva had no idea that Juno did what she did.

AherasSTRG
07-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Nice, now that was the response I was looking for. I read most of it, thanks for that. I have been considering replaying the game so I might even check up on it myself, as I failed to check a lot of the emails on my first playthrough.
Take your time to read all of it.
E-mails do not contain many new things, apart from the fact that Juno hates humans and this largely has to do with a First Civ - Human war that led to her father's death.

AherasSTRG
07-04-2013, 02:44 PM
@Aheradrim But wasn't Juno adamant that none of them worked except the one where she stored her electricity in the temple? Iirc, she said automating the construction of the towers didn't work and the tower didn't function either. How could one tower do the work that was meant for four?
At first, they started building 1 tower. Their problem was that there was not enough time to complete the project as the destruction was imminent. They abandoned the idea, because they did not have the time to make it. However, a group of First Civ scientists returned to the project and tried to automate it using machinery, so that, even if they were vanished, the machines would live on and complete the construction of the pillars. Quoting Juno:
--- "But with all we knew, with all we had, it would take too long. A thousand years we would labor and still the work would not be done... The first tower was never completed. The project abandoned. We moved on. But while we labored with other endeavors, a few returned. They thought to automate the process... Metal might finish what flesh could not."
Whether Juno was part of that group of scientists that seeked to automate the proccess is irrelevant. What matters is that the technology was created and used by Juno to create the pillars. As Minerva states "She used our machines for her own goals" (not exactly, something like that).

And that still doesn't explain why Minerva sent Desmond to the Temple if she knew he wouldn't have enough time to fix it. Like you said, Minerva had no idea that Juno did what she did.
Minerva was confident about the human civilisation finding a solution using the data stored within the Grand Temple, that is why for most of the series she guides him there. Her exact words were:
--- "I had hoped that you might find this place - and finish our work. But you are too late . You and the Templars have squabbled over our refuse (trash). You have wasted centuries. And so you have lost your chance..."
Like the Ones Who Came Before, so too the human civilisation had run out of time by the time Desmond opened the sealed gate of the inner Grand Temple. Nevertheless, from an e-mail Juno sends to Desmond in AC3, she is mocking Minerva saying that she (Juno) had already destroyed all other useful data in the Temple.
And that is when Juno comes in the scene and presents her solution.

AherasSTRG
07-04-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm curious as to why the solar flares cause the earth to "open up" and cause massive amounts of destruction. When I first heard about it, I thought: "...that sounds like the Earth was pre-programmed to destroy it's previous life whenever this event happened in a cycle that would continue every 70,000 = 100,000 years or so."

Reminds me of the Reapers in Mass Effect... doesn't help that when earth gets destroyed the world looks eerily similar to how the Earth looks when Reapers are attacking it.
I have a very nice image depicting that, but I do not know how to post images directly from my computer :P.

Jexx21
07-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Just upload it to an image hosting site or something.

Hell, most of the time when I want to upload images I upload it to facebook as a private photo and then take the link to the picture and use it.

AherasSTRG
07-04-2013, 04:36 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98407075@N02/9209854760/

EDIT: Just noticed that there is a grammatical mistake, do not mind it.

Ureh
07-04-2013, 06:28 PM
At first, they started building 1 tower. Their problem was that there was not enough time to complete the project as the destruction was imminent. They abandoned the idea, because they did not have the time to make it. However, a group of First Civ scientists returned to the project and tried to automate it using machinery, so that, even if they were vanished, the machines would live on and complete the construction of the pillars. Quoting Juno:
--- "But with all we knew, with all we had, it would take too long. A thousand years we would labor and still the work would not be done... The first tower was never completed. The project abandoned. We moved on. But while we labored with other endeavors, a few returned. They thought to automate the process... Metal might finish what flesh could not."
Whether Juno was part of that group of scientists that seeked to automate the proccess is irrelevant. What matters is that the technology was created and used by Juno to create the pillars. As Minerva states "She used our machines for her own goals" (not exactly, something like that).

Where are the other towers, shouldn't they be within the temple? She said something like "4 towers would be built to pull the sun's wrath into this place." 'This place' must refer to the temple. But we only see 1 tower, but for that plan to work they needed 4. Juno said that machine "might" finish what flesh couldn't but never confirmed that they were indeed completed.

Minerva was confident about the human civilisation finding a solution using the data stored within the Grand Temple, that is why for most of the series she guides him there. Her exact words were:
--- "I had hoped that you might find this place - and finish our work. But you are too late . You and the Templars have squabbled over our refuse (trash). You have wasted centuries. And so you have lost your chance..."
Like the Ones Who Came Before, so too the human civilisation had run out of time by the time Desmond opened the sealed gate of the inner Grand Temple. Nevertheless, from an e-mail Juno sends to Desmond in AC3, she is mocking Minerva saying that she (Juno) had already destroyed all other useful data in the Temple.
And that is when Juno comes in the scene and presents her solution.

No, what befuddles me is that Minerva meant to pass on her message to Desmond through Ezio. This was in 1499. But Desmond doesn't receive this message till 513 years later, in 2012. So why did she expect Desmond to perform some maricle in a few months what the twcb couldn't do in centuries? There was no way even with the special info passed onto him that he could finish their work. She wasted centuries even though she was clairvoyant.

So whatever Juno did, it's all thanks to her.

AherasSTRG
07-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Where are the other towers, shouldn't they be within the temple? She said something like "4 towers would be built to pull the sun's wrath into this place." 'This place' must refer to the temple. But we only see 1 tower, but for that plan to work they needed 4. Juno said that machine "might" finish what flesh couldn't but never confirmed that they were indeed completed.
I cannot uphold this doubt... Maybe one pillar was not enough to withstand the power of the sun, but it was enough to power the barrier...? Maybe all 4 pillars were constructed in the end, but we only see 1? I haven't thought of something concrete for that.

No, what befuddles me is that Minerva meant to pass on her message to Desmond through Ezio. This was in 1499. But Desmond doesn't receive this message till 513 years later, in 2012. So why did she expect Desmond to perform some maricle in a few months what the twcb couldn't do in centuries? There was no way even with the special info passed onto him that he could finish their work. She wasted centuries even though she was clairvoyant.

So whatever Juno did, it's all thanks to her.
I think I know the answer to that. Minerva had to give the warning in an appropriate time, during which humanity would have developed the technology to understand and practise the data stored within the Temple, therefore, she had to communicate with someone of the present day. So, Desmond enters the inner chambers of the Temple along with the rest of the group during the dawn of the 21st of December. By then, there was seriously no time for humanity to analyse the data. However, if it was not for the Templar - Assassin "race" for the possession of the Apples - which in the end had nothing to do with the solar flare destruction, apart from opening the Temple's doors - they might have discovered the Temple earlier (let's say September of 2012) and therefore have some time to work out Minerva's solution.

Farlander1991
07-05-2013, 07:46 AM
No, what befuddles me is that Minerva meant to pass on her message to Desmond through Ezio. This was in 1499. But Desmond doesn't receive this message till 513 years later, in 2012. So why did she expect Desmond to perform some maricle in a few months what the twcb couldn't do in centuries?

Well, there were also all those discs and information stored in the Grand Temple by Minerva and Jupiter, which Juno admitted that she destroyed. So that also ****ed things up too.

stramner
09-08-2014, 04:41 PM
I cannot uphold this doubt... Maybe one pillar was not enough to withstand the power of the sun, but it was enough to power the barrier...? Maybe all 4 pillars were constructed in the end, but we only see 1? I haven't thought of something concrete for that.

Wait, where you can see that pillar?

Ureh
09-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Well, there were also all those discs and information stored in the Grand Temple by Minerva and Jupiter, which Juno admitted that she destroyed. So that also ****ed things up too.

Thank you, I forgot about those! Who knows what were on those discs?! Maybe Juno was telling the truth when she said they were filled with lies.... maybe Minerva's intention was never to save the world but to save Desmond.

Wait, where you can see that pillar?

http://youtu.be/zbeaQF_Gsn0?t=14s

It's the thing that Desmond climbs to install the second power source.