PDA

View Full Version : Reliving old Assassin's Creed memories together ! :)

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 11:24 AM
So Loomer just posted a the first ever dev diary of AC2 and it was just absolutely endearing to watch, so why not we reminisce on some of our favourite memories ? Youcan see the excitement and passion the devs have for the game beaming from their eyes. It's THEIR game, what THEY want, how the series should go and they even mention Desmond.........as a main character, not some heavy load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jogg-ObyKu0

Well, post your favourite memory as well and let's remember the good 'ol days when the wait for an AC game was a joy and not some chore to be skeptical of EVERY.SINGLE.WORD while we weep about the past. They were some great times back then.

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Here's a commented gameplay as well, which is just as captivating. It's amazing how they masterfully showed off so many features in a positive way despite the flying machine not being much in the main game. Still, it was well-crafted. Also, stealth stealth stealth stealth stealth. Man that non-filtered Venice looks stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xIzAs_XkGs

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 11:26 AM
And some more AC1 memories. You guys remember when AC1 was about non-linearity, proper usage of social stealth and being an actual sneaky assassin? Well, Jade Raymond remember and she also constantly fails to say Acre, so it's awesome. Again, brilliantly showed off every bit. Step up your game trailer makers of this gen !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XKAzX3S1mM

Assassin_M
06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Here`s a nice memory....at that time, ACB didn't exist yet...it was still AC II :|

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Here`s a nice memory....at that time, ACB didn't exist yet...it was still AC II :|

Remember. This s 2009. There is no such thing as annualisation. Don't create a paradox in this time verse.

Assassin_M
06-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Remember. This s 2009. There is no such thing as annualisation. Don't create a paradox in this time verse.
Oh Okay.....uhh....it`d suck if AC became annualized. Series fatigue and possible drop in polish quality...sport games and all that are fairly legible for yearly releases....I love AC :`(

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Oh Okay.....uhh....it`d suck if AC became annualized. Series fatigue and possible drop in polish quality...sport games and all that are fairly legible for yearly releases....I love AC :`(
Shhhhhhhhh child. Don't worry! Papa Patrice would never allow that, unless he loses his job fighting for it and even loses it a second time for another game of his. Yves is just looking to make a game with great quality, regardless of sales.

Assassin_M
06-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Shhhhhhhhh child. Don't worry! Papa Patrice would never allow that, unless he loses his job fighting for it and even loses it a second time for another game of his. Yves is just looking to make a game with great quality, regardless of sales.
Patrice is good :) I like his beard...I don`t think they`re gonna fire him..most of the success of this series is attributed to him...and I think fans would stop buying AC if they fire Patrice..

Who is Yves?

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Patrice is good :) I like his beard...I don`t think they`re gonna fire him..most of the success of this series is attributed to him...and I think fans would stop buying AC if they fire Patrice..

Who is Yves?

Future video game Hitler?

Assassin_M
06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Future video game Hitler?
2009 dude..wtf?? breaking my immersion and shiz :/

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHljj5_3v1k

Another Dev Diary. Can you see how they are devoted to make everything varied and manifold, but polished? They don't just throw in features. Also notice how they made the tombs, they don't just throw In a completely irrelevant, albeit entertaining, mechanic like Naval or underwater gameplay. They first ensure that any new type of missions build upon the core of the franchise. I am not at all against naval, it's just that the core mechanics are so untouched, unimproved and not extended upon that it sort of dumbs down the whole experience. Unlike AC2, we no longer feel that the core mechanics are expanded upon. They're just at a stalemate while everything else irrelevant is added. Jade Raymond worked on AC1 though. Maybe she understands the importance of improving the core mechanics, maybe she will be our redemption. I hope so.

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 11:59 AM
2009 dude..wtf?? breaking my immersion and shiz :/

Oh right. I don't want to break immersion like a game in Revolutionary America with many bugs and glitches. Never.

Assassin_M
06-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Oh right. I don't want to break immersion like a game in Revolutionary America with many bugs and glitches. Never.
What?? What are they gonna use for Free running and parkour?? trees?

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 12:05 PM
What?? What are they gonna use for Free running and parkour?? trees?

Nope. Just water. Lots and lots of Atlantic Ocean water.

Assassin_M
06-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Nope. Just water. Lots and lots of Atlantic Ocean water.
Nah, man you`re just dreamin`. Also, Ezio looks like the best character ever xD (i`m sorry.... I can`t say that with a straight face)

Legendz54
06-25-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm liking AC2 right now since its 2009 not 2013, but I wish we stuck with Altair.

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm liking AC2 right now since its 2009 not 2013, but I wish we stuck with Altair.

Well, they only did one Alta´r main game, so it's fair to assume that they would balance it out by making only one main Ezio game, right?

Assassin_M
I think Ezio will be a nice change..

Assassin_M
Well, they only did one Alta´r main game, so it's fair to assume that they would balance it out by making only one main Ezio game, right?
Yes :|

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Nah, man you`re just dreamin`. Also, Ezio looks like the best character ever xD (i`m sorry.... I can`t say that with a straight face)

Indeed. He's sexy, charming, has a scar, is Italian and can sweet talk any woman. It's everything an AC tumblr fan wants and more (/jk).Why can't Alta´r have more sex like Ezio.

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Yes :-)

That emoticon you initially inserted started ticking off my paradox-o-meter, so it's now a happy face to keep it 2009.

dxsxhxcx
06-25-2013, 12:50 PM

HA, they would never turn this franchise into COD, also the devs already said AC is a trilogy and each numbered title will have a new ancestor, so it's OBVIOUS the next game will be AC3 and will have a new ancestor...

pacmanate
06-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Who is Yves?

Find.... Yves....

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 12:59 PM
HA, they would never turn this franchise into COD, also the devs already said AC is a trilogy and each numbered title will have a new ancestor, so it's OBVIOUS the next game will be AC3 and will have a new ancestor...

AC2.4 & AC2.8 can't be considered as numbered titles, right?

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Find.... Yves....

The milk....his milk.....the key is in his DNA....find him......

dxsxhxcx
06-25-2013, 01:15 PM
AC2.4 & AC2.8 can't be considered as numbered titles, right?

are we still in the past or I need to explain that is just the excuse they found to justify those games? :p

$uit: Let's make a thousand AC game$!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Dev 1: But we already said the franchise will be a trilogy, trilogy = 3 games, right?

$uit: NO! You're fired!

Dev 2: Ok boss, what are we going to do now? The previous guy kinda had a point...

$uit: Hmmm.... I have a solution, let's make a new game with a subtitle instead of a number, if the game doesn't have a number it won't count, right?

Dev 2: ...

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 01:25 PM
are we still in the past or I need to explain that is just the excuse they found to justify those games? :p

$uit: Let's make a thousand AC game$!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Dev 1: But we already said the franchise will be a trilogy, trilogy = 3 games, right?

$uit: NO! You're fired!

Dev 2: Ok boss, what are we going to do now? The previous guy kinda had a point...

$uit: Hmmm.... I have a solution, let's make a new game with a subtitle instead of a number...

Dev 2: ...

You cannot explain that which cannot and will NOT happen.

dxsxhxcx
06-25-2013, 01:31 PM
You cannot explain that which cannot and will NOT happen.

you're right, I'm being too pessimistic, they would never do that..

TheHumanTowel
06-25-2013, 02:13 PM
I can't wait to see what that cabin up north will look like in AC3!

SixKeys
06-25-2013, 02:17 PM
I can't wait to see what that cabin up north will look like in AC3!

Hahaha, this is the best comment.

I can't wait to see the epic battle between Vidic and Desmond!

AssassinHMS
06-25-2013, 02:39 PM
I can't wait to play a pirate game!

Ureh
06-25-2013, 02:47 PM
I remember reading about AC1 preview in the Computer Gaming World magazine. I was like.... COOOOL. When was this... 2005? Then about 2 years later, bunch of reviews gave it 70s, Cs, or even worse. I was like... whatever I'm still playing it.

Now my fav series.

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
I remember reading about AC1 preview in the Computer Gaming World magazine. I was like.... COOOOL. When was this... 2005? Then about 2 years later, bunch of reviews gave it 70s, Cs, or even worse. I was like... whatever I'm still playing it.

Now my fav series.

Weirdly enough, with all the far superior games out there, this series remains my favorite and the one I dedicate the most effort to. The magic of the gameplay might have worn off, but the lore and the universe itself still remain to be extremely enticing. Still, AC4 will be the game to make or break me as a loyal AC fan.

Assassin_M
06-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Weirdly enough, with all the far superior games out there, this series remains my favorite and the one I dedicate the most effort to. The magic of the gameplay might have worn off, but the lore and the universe itself still remain to be extremely enticing. Still, AC4 will be the game to make or break me as a loyal AC fan.
AC4? wtf?

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
AC4? wtf?

My bad, I forgot that we don't yet suffer from series fatigue, severe lack of trust in everything the devs say, promises of random events, a final game to prove this seties still is viable and rushed titles. But it would be very rad if we had that though,right?

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 03:17 PM
I can't wait to play a pirate game!

lol. So na´ve. Like Ubisoft would ever leave England, France, Russia and Egypt untouched to go to the West Indies. Silly you.

Ureh
06-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Oh, no. Does anyone remember when Jade was ridiculed for her involvement back in AC1? The things they said and drew were so reprehensible. A dirty page in AC history...

AssassinHMS
06-25-2013, 03:56 PM
lol. So na´ve. Like Ubisoft would ever leave England, France, Russia and Egypt untouched to go to the West Indies. Silly you.

Well, as long as there aren't any of those BORING eavesdropping, pickpocket and interrogation missions, then I'm happy. Assassination missions are boring too, so I hope they become scripted and almost non-existent.

I also think the combat is way too hard...A real assassin should spend 60% of the time fighting and brutalizing helpless soldiers and the other 40% sailing in the high seas and harpooning whales and h0okers ...

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Well, as long as there aren't any of those BORING eavesdropping, pickpocket and interrogation missions, then I'm happy. Assassination missions are boring too, so I hope they become scripted and almost non-existent.

I also think the combat is way too hard...A real assassin should spend 60% of the time fighting and brutalizing helpless soldiers and the other 40% sailing in the high seas and harpooning whales and h0okers ...

Yo ho ho with a bottle of ***.

ze_topazio
06-25-2013, 05:30 PM
I remember AC1 being criticized, among other things, for his many bugs, i wonder what people back in 2007 would say if they saw AC3, i miss the days when games were actually tested before being released.

I still remember when AC1 was the PS3 exclusive that was going to kill the Xbox 360, and when people had the theory of Altair being a time traveler, and Hideo Kojima calling it the most innovative game he had saw in years, and when AC2 was announced people were like "Why? first game sucked, what are they even bothering, this is going to fail so hard" or when everybody was sure AC3 was going to be in the French revolution.

ACfan443
06-25-2013, 06:37 PM
The developers we see in the videos look calm, happy and relaxed. They're enjoying their work and feel confident that they're going to a deliver a polished product through the creative freedom and time they have. The diaries now feel kind of forced, the stress is shown on their faces, which is not a surprise considering the lack of freedom and time restrictions they're under.

when everybody was sure AC3 was going to be in the French revolution.

I remember that. Straight after the release of AC2, the rumours that the third game would be set in the French Revolution circulated everywhere. I used to google AC3 at the time and the French Revolution was the most frequent result. The whole "Phrygian cap and Masonic eye" in ACB further reaffirmed that. So I was pretty sure at that point AC3 would be set there.

Jexx21
06-25-2013, 07:12 PM
I really wish people would stop treating Patrice like some sort of AC god.

He really isn't the only guy in the dev team that cares about the game >.>

I'm gonna be honest, this topic annoys me because it speaks as if there was no passion behind AC3. I feel like there was.

Assassin_M
06-25-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm gonna be honest, this topic annoys me because it speaks as if there was no passion behind AC3. I feel like there was.
There was passion in EVERY AC game....anyone denying that is too emotional that AC III disappointed him/her...

I`m serious

Salt-Sage
06-25-2013, 10:14 PM
I still have all the games. But to be honest, I have 0 motivation to play the subtitled sequels. They're not necessarily bad games, but they could have been so much more. Plus they hardly improve on enough for me to choose them over AC2. I feel AC3 could have given us back that feeling that AC2 had. Walking through an Assassin's life from birth, experience his younger years and seeing what made him who he is through his own eyes. While I love Haytham and would have almost preferred he be the protagonist in AC3, having him take up the first 3 sequences kind of spoiled Connor for me. AC2 was the life of Ezio. AC3 was the life of Connor, save for a few chapters ripped out and new ones glued in.

I still love AC3 though, but AC4 doesn't seem to have that feeling. I have no idea what Ubisoft is trying to do. I mean, really, if your primary goal for a sequel ISN'T to improve on the core pillars of the previous game, there is something seriously wrong. Naval gameplay is one of their only successful gimmicks, and while it may be a nice addition, you know a series just left it's golden age when they have to cling to the success of a mechanic that has nothing to do with the core gameplay. I'm trying not to be negative, and actually have hopes that AC4 will return to the open-ended assassinations of AC1.

ArabianFrost
06-25-2013, 11:59 PM
I really wish people would stop treating Patrice like some sort of AC god.

He really isn't the only guy in the dev team that cares about the game >.>

I was just going along the whole Yves is Hitler, Patrice is his enemy plot. Just a joke. I adamantly believe that a lot of people are dedicated towards this game. From AC1 to ACR to AC15 (who knows). Everyone has dedication and many of these guys have great ideas(for the most part) that can be awesome to implement. The circumstances such as Ubisoft head greed and tight schedules definitely have affected the outcome of the game very badly and shone Ubisoft under a bad light with the devs' reputation as collateral damage, unfortunately, but no one can deny them the work the devs have done. Still, until now, only the AC1, AC2 and the AC4 devs fully understood the importance of the core mechanics, so the other devs can be demerited for that.

The thing with Patrice is, he is by no means a one man army, there are other devs out there who helped shape the game, other creative directors with him, so he is definitely not the creator. It's just that people tend to associate him with the two best games made. So it's not much as Patrice himself being a divine gaming image, but it's the legacy he left withy the 2 first games.p, that gave him the reputation as the savior of the franchise. Everyone acknowledges he isn't the sole creator of t he franchise, but under HIS ERA as creative director p, innovation was pushed forward and the core mechanics improved upon, so there's that to put into consideration. Moreover, Maybe this is just me p, but the games after AC2 felt that they lacked life and soul, but maybe that is because series fatigue.

Ureh
06-26-2013, 02:17 AM
Remember when everyone was expecting Leonardo to be an Assassin? Heheh

Sigv4rd
06-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Remember when everyone was expecting Leonardo to be an Assassin? Heheh

I remember this one rumor that Charles Lee was Connor's father... :D
"Where is Papa Lee!"

Jexx21
06-26-2013, 08:14 AM
I personally think that ACB and ACR improved upon AC2, but the introduction of bombs in ACR had me tired in the sense of "I have so many freaking weapons. This is stupid."

I also think AC3 is the best AC game, but that it could have been more polished.

Honestly, I think that with each AC the game has gotten better, there are just some aspects that previous games have done better. In all honesty, my current rating for AC games goes:

1. AC3/ACR/AC2/ACB
2. AC1

I do sort of favor ones I have in one over the other, which is why I have ACB after AC2, but overall I would give them the same rating. I dunno, I can't really rate the AC games.

Also, I understand that people tend to over-glorify those who have been in a leadership position and have done well. I personally want to be a creative director some day, and if I was ever recognized as some sort of hero for a game series, I would hope that I would say something about that that would tell others to not support me, but the people on my team.

Lethalla
06-26-2013, 08:22 AM
I love AC2 and ACB so much that I took my husband and boys to Rome, Firenze and Venezia last year, then drove them all mad with continual exclamations of "Ezio climbed that!"
XD

Assassin_M
06-26-2013, 08:23 AM
I love AC2 and ACB so much that I took my husband and boys to Rome, Firenze and Venezia last year, then drove them all mad with continual exclamations of "Ezio climbed that!"
XD
Did you show them where he died :|

Lethalla
06-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Of course not...